• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Did the battle tactics change?

Feirefis

Today several times the computer ignored my rogues and ran past them to attack other armies. This would almost nullify the advantages of the rogue. That didnt happen before.
And if you changed it, would you announce it ?

DeletedUser26965

Today several times the computer ignored my rogues and ran past them to attack other armies.

Where were you fighting? There are two AIs. One for Continent fighting that targets Rogues last, the other AI for PvP. GE. and GvG targets Rpgues first.

I just ran through some continent map fights with various troops including a rogue, all troops undamaged. I kept all troops to the back and advanced the rogue. Every time my rogue was attacked and mostly every time it was attacked first.

DeletedUser26965

I just ran another test the same way on PvP and GE and got the same results, the enemy goes after the rogue.

Algona

I just ran through some continent map fights with various troops including a rogue, all troops undamaged. I kept all troops to the back and advanced the rogue. Every time my rogue was attacked and mostly every time it was attacked first.

Try your experiment again this time with a Rogue and a non-Rogue side by side such that the AI can make a choice.

Pardon me, sloppy phrasing. The Neighborhood AI prioritizes Rogues lowest. If it has a choice it will attack non-Rogue units first. The other AI is vice versa and if it has the choice will attack the Rogues first.

It still works that way in PME GE and GvG. I just fought a couple fights there, and given a choice Rogues were targeted first. On Modern Continent (yeah, I'm running way behind on the continent) the Rogues were attacked last.

DeletedUser26965

Try your experiment again this time with a Rogue and a non-Rogue side by side such that the AI can make a choice.
Just ran a quick continent map one with 4 rogues, 4 ballistas. I skipped my first few turns and let the enemy move first. The very first thing the enemy catapult did was target the rogue. Then they killed that rogue and went after another. The enemy had choices and chose rouges.

PROOF! lol;)
uCOEuZc.jpg

ZO4HM9P.jpg

DeletedUser26965

Did another continent map run and this time I put regular units one hex ahead of rogues, the pictures tell the story for that one lol
GUcwDOv.jpg

WPdLFph.jpg

xfoqQCv.jpg

DeletedUser26965

Proof indeed, sloppyjoeslayer! Good stuff thanks for the testing.
Np, at least in this small sample it seems they go after the trooper in front as you can see in the second example they did leave the rogues alone but when I left them pretty much in the original positions or advanced the rogues they did indeed target them first. Not doubting there are times that if you advance rogues ahead of the regular troops they won't sometimes get ignored but it's not always the case so not sure what exactly is going on.

wolfhoundtoo

Try it in higher ages and they'll avoid the rogues. They did so on the Artic map yesterday only targeting my rogues when my hover tank stealth prevented them from being able to hit the tanks.

DeletedUser10415

The Neighborhood AI prioritizes Rogues lowest. If it has a choice it will attack non-Rogue units first. The other AI is vice versa and if it has the choice will attack the Rogues first.

I'm afraid you've got this backwards. Neighborhood and Expedition AI targets whatever is closest, showing a preference for attacking rogues if all ranges are equal. Been a while since I've done GvG, but when I was doing it, the AI there fell into this category too. Continent AI has a strong preference for non-rogues, but will attack a rogue if it's the only thing within attack range. Continent AI will also attack rogues that would otherwise be able to engage an enemy unit in melee the following round.

DeletedUser26965

Honestly I don't think anybody really knows what the AI prioritizes what, when, where, in what age etc. We're all just going off limited experience and even with that how many of us actually took the time to study every one of those fights to try to find any patterns regarding rogues in all the numerous variability throughout all the ages and in all the separate fighting areas? Just my few examples above show that in some continent fights they do go after rogues first, but this is a very small sample. Without thousands of recorded samples, with proof, and without the code we're really just speculating at the end of the day.

DeletedUser25273

And the described priority for Rogues in GE, GvG, and PvP, is for 'Unconverted Rogues', once the Rogue has been hit and changes, it doesn't appear to still have the special targeting, but that switches to other tiebreakers, like next to move.

DeletedUser13838

I'm afraid you've got this backwards. Neighborhood and Expedition AI targets whatever is closest, showing a preference for attacking rogues if all ranges are equal.
IME this is not how it works. An AI unit will run right next to one of my real units (or previously transformed rogues) to strike at a rogue if the rogue is in range. I can't be sure if this is the case for GVG but I doubt there are 3 different versions of the AI.

DeletedUser8152

I would have said the hood/GE/GvG system will target rogues whenever possible. But every once in a while it doesn't and I am surprised. (Possibly the rogue was out of range and I didn't realize it.)

The continent system is less obviously deterministic. Usually it will ignore a rogue if the rogue can't reach any of the AI's units on its next turn. But sometimes it will attack the rogue anyway. Often it will attack a rogue that is in range to attack, but not always. Hitting another unit might take priority.

wolfhoundtoo

The battle rules are not 100% 'always' anything. There are other factors that come into play. For example wounded units will usually get priority over the next unit to move. For the most part if your on the continent map you can't count on rogues being hit 1st as much as you could in the other battle areas of the game.

DeletedUser10415

Honestly I don't think anybody really knows what the AI prioritizes what, when, where, in what age etc. We're all just going off limited experience

Speak for yourself. I've got 8520 won battles on my primary world - a figure which of course doesn't reflect the total number of battles I've fought.