• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Discord: My reaction

UBERhelp1

I have to agree. Discord is a place to hang out with friends or a community, not a place to have big discussions. It's a service used for short, chat-type messages, while the forum is based much more on longer, (somewhat) thought-out responses. And this is coming from someone that uses Discord a lot :p

I think that it would be nice to have an official FoE Discord server, but not as a way to move away from the forums.

Xenosaur

How DISCORD became a marketing or engineering priority in this game, is anyone's guess. With so many things to make the game better, why is this even on the radar? Global chat, which I only see when I misclick on mobile's message icon (right next to it...) remains a bastion of veiled personal attacks, bickering and people bragging how much they cheat or how many times they've been banned.

How do you even implement a block on someone you don' want to hear or talk to (if there is someone like that?). Group chat? No thanks.

It just feeds the wrong things in a game with a weakening social element.

There may be differences of opinion here, but it's more respectful and civilized, and clearly more erudite (mostly) about the game's universe of interests.

Poor use of game resources and Inno personnel, IMHO.

planetofthehumans2

Maybe they're phasing out the global chat since they MOVED IT ON PC so that it freaking blocks the effects bar and the space settlement ship so I have no idea when things are done because I cant freaking see it from city view so I've missed a bunch of collects that I didn't need to!! And the effects bar expands UNDER the chat window, who changed this an why have they not been fired yet holy guacamole this game is getting so frustrating to play.

Emberguard

Maybe they're phasing out the global chat since they MOVED IT ON PC so that it freaking blocks the effects bar and the space settlement ship so I have no idea when things are done because I cant freaking see it from city view so I've missed a bunch of collects that I didn't need to!! And the effects bar expands UNDER the chat window, who changed this an why have they not been fired yet holy guacamole this game is getting so frustrating to play.
You can collapse the chat

Pericles the Lion

I'm on PC. Like @Emberguard said, tghe chat window collapses. So does the effects bar.

1702501755870.png

Johnny B. Goode

You can collapse the chat
Be careful. I told someone during the Halloween Event to just zoom out to collect an incident that was "blocked", and he got irate that I would suggest him having to do that. "Inno needs to fix it so I'm not inconvenienced like that!"* seemed to be his stance.

*He didn't actually say those specific words, but that was the gist of his response.

Disgruntled Veteran

"Discord covers all the forum functionality with the addition of real-time communication, modern features, and the possibility to connect with others without the limitations of the forum structure.

But don't worry! We will continue running the forum as usual for the time being. While we don't exclude the possibility of transitioning to Discord in the future, it's not a step we would take without extensive analysis and preparation."

This sounds like a "soft" announcement that the forums will be coming to an end, probably much sooner than we realize.

Emberguard

This sounds like a "soft" announcement that the forums will be coming to an end, probably much sooner than we realize.
When asked about that the admin said in the discord chat “they will stay for now. But if they become inactive we may part ways with them”

so if you want the forums to stay, better keep them active

Orius Maximus

Yuck.

I can't stand Discord. It's just a glorified chat server, and it's hard to find archived information there. Getting rid of the forums would be a disservice to the community because it would wipe out a lot of old useful advice. And I don't like social media in general, much of it is lousy for sharing information in one way or other.

I've also heard rumors that Discord stalks users on other platforms and forums and penalizes or bans them for saying things off Discord that would be against the rules on Discord. I removed Discord from my devices after reading about that. Maybe it's not true, but that's downright Orwellian if it is. What I say in other communities is none of Discord's, especially if I'm not violating the other community's rules. I will NOT use Discord in any way in the foreseeable future.

Sharmon the Impaler

"Discord covers all the forum functionality with the addition of real-time communication, modern features, and the possibility to connect with others without the limitations of the forum structure.

But don't worry! We will continue running the forum as usual for the time being. While we don't exclude the possibility of transitioning to Discord in the future, it's not a step we would take without extensive analysis and preparation."

"it's not a step we would take without extensive analysis and preparation." You mean like the beta event releases that you push out half baked all the time ?
They threw together a Discord "server" , didn't even bother to make any user groups or any configuration for that matter. They just plopped everyone into one massive and useless channel. Even once they correct the server deficiencies so it runs better it still can't replace the messaging , that's the flavor of the game. Immersive , you can't have immersive once you are forced to go outside of the game for all your communications.

Last edited:

Be Chuille

I generally like Discord, but I find the onslaught of random/off-topic messages distracting. Too many images and gifs are posted that have nothing to do with the game. People posting ring tones too. I don't see that usable for actual game discussion or feedback.

Lots of noise / little quality information.

Almost nothing in the "game-discussion" section is actually discussing the game.

Last edited:

Emberguard

I generally like Discord, but I find the onslaught of random/off-topic messages distracting. Too many images and gifs are posted that have nothing to do with the game. People posting ring tones too. I don't see that usable for actual game discussion or feedback.

Lots of noise / little quality information.

Almost nothing in the "game-discussion" section is actually discussing the game.

I'm hoping it'll settle down after a couple days into proper game discussion

Be Chuille

I suggest collapsing Global Chat and never look again. It's EVIL! :)

Actually.... so far FoE Discord seems like Global Chat on steroids. Gives me a headache.

Seriously... there are people in the game discussion flirting, etc. I am done. Removing the FoE discord server.

FoE... when are you going to stop making bad decisions about this game? If the plan is to replace these nice organized forums with that chaotic Discord server mess... well... nothing surprises me anymore.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

If Inno does get rid of the Forum at some point, it might be the death knell for me in this game period. I'm sure many of you have figured out that coming to the Forum is a big part of why I stay with this game. I am definitely not going to switch to Discord.

Johnny B. Goode

If Inno does get rid of the Forum at some point, it might be the death knell for me in this game period. I'm sure many of you have figured out that coming to the Forum is a big part of why I stay with this game. I am definitely not going to switch to Discord.
After taking one last look at Discord, and seeing vulgar and non-game-related posts galore, I deleted my account there (which I had just registered for today) and uninstalled the app from my PC. Take heed, Inno, you can push us too far with your ignorant decisions.

PJS299

I think one of the problems may be that it is an open server. A 10-year-old could get on and start posting random things, or somebody could post inappropriate content. It is hard to have a conversation with someone on Discord when a couple hundred people are all posting at the same time. Also, many people may find Discord a lot harder to use than the forums. The forums are simple, but Discord has many more features and buttons, along with the advertisements for Nitro.

I only have two social media platforms on my phone. One for contacting family because my service provider sucks, and another that I have for the information, and also for contacting people. I'm not getting Discord. It takes up too much space, I'll have to give them my e-mail, make an account, get thousands of notifications (even though I can turn them off, I'm trying to be dramatic lol), and it's overall just a negative experience.

They better not get rid of the forums.

Edit: Like @Johnny B. Goode said, if they do remove these forums, I will probably also leave. The community on here is *mostly* great and helpful, and it's fun to come on and talk about the game. The game itself is fun, but it is based off of the relationships players have. You are codependent. Without other people, there is no game. (There's actually a game called There Is No Game. But this is FoE. It's supposed to be one of the best games out there)

Orius Maximus

From what I remember Discord had a lot of fiddly crap with setting up user preferences and such, and it was a huge pain in the ass to find settings let along change them.

I only really used Discord a little bit to find information on the smaller and more obscure mobile games but in the end it was often more trouble than it was worth. FoE might have a big enough playerbase to generate to much noise for Discord to be worth the trouble.