• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Dislike PVP discussion

SnowDogH

Wouldn't it be nice to buy your diamonds, use your diamonds, and play the game without the fear of being attacked and plundered every day? The game is fun, but boy I dislike the plundering. People have said to try Elvenar if you don't want the PVP aspect, and it is a nice game, but it's just not the same as this one. Some days I can deal with the attacks and other days it's emotionally draining, especially after I have waited for days to make the full batch of whatever product I need to finish research or negotiate with a sector on the map. Then, when you get a really nasty neighborhood, there seems to be no reason to keep playing. You can even play nice by trying to friend neighbors or aiding them on a daily basis, but to no avail. And it doesn't matter how up to date you keep your military, there is always someone bigger, better, and stronger. It's really sad that I can't make the PVP optional, or there isn't a mirror game that removes all PVP. I know a bunch of you will say, "oh boohoo, don't like it, leave it" or "go play Elvenar" or other comment that is not useful. Anyway, thought I would share my frustration.

Captain Christian

My only advice to not get plundered (Other than all the good advice you said you don't want to hear, such as RazorbackPirate's and Sheherazade's), is if you spend diamonds, use them to fully max out your tavern (If you haven't already), collect a lot of tavern silver, and and activate a 72 hour city shield.

Last edited:

The Lady Redneck

The ONLY good way to avoid getting plundered is to set all your production buildings to be ready to collect at as time you KNOW you will be on to collect them. I have all mine set to collect every 24 hrs. Also if you do not have your friends list set up properly so that you get plenty aid from them, use a mass self aid kit to make sure you coin and supply buildings are covered as a building that is aided cannot be plundered. Also make sure you do not move up to another age until you have all the GBs you need plus a good inventory of goods for the new age so you can start your new age with a strong city.
As for spending diamonds to upgrade your tavern, that is BAD advice. You can fully upgrade it without any problem using only the silver you collect from it. Providing you make sure your friends list has active players on it and emptying it every time it gets full. You have no need to spend diamonds at all except for expansions or maybe to get that last BP for a long awaited GB.

RazorbackPirate

I understand your frustration. I sounds to me as if you are toward the bottom of your neighborhood. If that's the case, it means you've been advancing on the tech tree too quickly. Being low in your neighborhood makes you particularly vulnerable to attack as many players when they need to fight start at the bottom of the hood and work their way up.

There are a number of quests that require fights and when they can't be fulfilled in GE, or Battlegrounds, PvP is the way to do it. Since many, like me, are just looking to complete the task as easily and quickly as possible, hitting the weakest players completes the task with little damage to units with almost zero risk of a loss.

I agree with all the suggestions so far, but the biggest impact you can make is to stop advancing on the tech tree, work on making your city stronger, and don't age up until you are near the top in ranking in your neighborhood. Being at the top makes you less of a target, being strong means you can retaliate against most anyone who attacks and plunders you.

Hang in there. It will take a bit of time to build your city enough to make you less of a target, but once you do, attacks will be rare, plunders even more so. Don't be the 98 pound weakling, and folks won't kick sand in your face. Hit the gym, build your muscles, and make yourself someone others will think twice about messing with. Make sense?

DeletedUser36145

What RazorbackPirate says is very true, though there will always be someone who keeps attacking even the top players in the neighborhood. Just to prove they can do it.
I am usually #1 or #2 and sometimes get tired of those. Of course, retaliation is swift and I can't remember the last time I have lost more than I have gained, but still... Besides, I hate all that checking of someone's city just to find that there is nothing good to plunder.
However, as mentioned above, the best short term strategy is to collect on time and the best long term one is to grow stronger.

Algona

This is what I post to Guildies who are getting plundered:

Plundering is explicitly within the rules, is encouraged by INNO, and is a successful strategy. Don’t waste your time getting upset at being plundered. Take these steps and you will reduce your losses to a minimum. If all else fails, be patient, hopefully you’ll rotate to a nicer hood in a couple weeks. In order of effectiveness.

TAVERN BOOST CITYSHIELD. Expensive but it does the job.

PLUNDER PROOF YOUR CITY, Have no plunderable buildings.

COLLECT ON TIME. Set your production to finish at a time you know you will be on to collect. Many plunderers will stop attacking if you do not give them anything they can take.

FIND UNPLUNDERAB:E GOODS SOURCES. Babel, Lighthouse, St, Mark’s, Frauenkirche, Royal Albert produce unplunderable goods. Wishing Well, Fountain of Youth, and many motivated Special Buildings can’t be plundered. Recurring Quests can provide Goods.

MANIPULATE YOUR NEIGHBOTHOOD POSITION. Players at the bottom of the hood seldom attack the top players in the hood. Slow down Tech growth and put some time and effort into acquiring and leveling GBs. This will move you up higher in the hood.

GET YOUR BUILDINGS MOTIVATED. Switch to 24 hour production, AND reduce Decorations, AND increase your Friends list AND Aid everyone every day. Motivated buildings can not be plundered. By doing the four steps your Houses, Supply buildings, and other motivatable buildings will always be motivated. Triple bonus from this: 1) if you miss collection, no big deal, your production is safe until you can collect. 2) Your Coin/Supply production will go up because Motivation, besides stopping plundering, doubles production. 3) You only have to collect once a day.

PUT UP YOUR BEST DEFENCE: The more units you kill, the less often plunderers will attack you, they will target easier prey. If you are not inflicting any casualties try changing some of the units in your defense. Watchfires, Ritual Flame, some Special Event Buildings, Monastery, Deal Castle, St. Basils, Terra Cotta, and AO help with defence.

COUNTERATTACK PLUNDERERES. If you can, take back that which was yours. Even an unsuccessful attack may dissuade a casual plunderer.

TRY DIPLOMACY. Ask plunderers nicely to stop. It may work. If they want to be paid off it’s up to you, but I’m not a fan of blackmail, giving or receiving.

Good luck!

qaccy

All this talk about plundering and nobody ever seems to mention that it's really not even that big of a loss when it happens. Keep advancing, keep growing, and eventually you'll get to that point too. Plundering is more a psychological thing than anything else. Losing one building collection out of potentially dozens per day isn't the end of the world, and these days there are more buildings than ever that can't even be plundered in the first place. It sounds like you're relatively new still, but trust me, eventually you'll be getting more goods (I assume you're referring to goods) from buildings that can't be plundered that you won't even feel a loss when someone manages to hit you.

DeletedUser

@qaccy is exactly right. Plundering is not that big a deal. If it is, you're doing something wrong. When a lot of us old-timers (in game time) started, plundering started on your first day. And you were probably in neighborhoods with players several ages ahead of you. I still remember my Longbowmen getting creamed by Tanks and such. And there were not as many event/special buildings to help with production of goods without risk of being plundered. Nowadays, by the time you get to the end of Iron Age and unlock PvP, you should be to the point where losing the production of a couple of buildings a day isn't more than a minor annoyance. And once you've been through a few events and picked up a few event buildings that produce goods when motivated (making them plunder-proof), you really don't have to worry about plunderers at all. That's why I mostly stay away from sets that can't be motivated.

The game is fun, but boy I dislike the plundering
Why? I mean, truly think about why you allow plundering to bother you. There has been excellent advice given to you throughout this thread but, for me, the biggest question I had to ask of myself is why does plundering bother me so much. The answer is it doesn't. The simple truth is that nothing can be taken from you that will not eventually regenerate and be produced again. I do not believe anyone plays this game because they are looking for a quick hitting, fast pace style of game that can be solved in a few sittings; it is a long game. As such, if you are able to see the plundering for the loss it is in the grand picture of the game which is truly quite minimal you will remove the power it held to bother you so greatly. For me this approach means I don't have to worry about collecting on time, wasting space setting hundreds of ritual flames and watch towers or defense focused GBs, or internalizing a plundering as some sort of personal attack...I simply just don't care if I get plundered because nothing taken is irreplaceable.

Emberguard

If nothing else, I am reminded that it's just a game and not everyone out there attacking and plundering are mean, just playing the game.
Exactly. I love strategy city-based war games. Going into FoE I was expecting losses to occur from other players with the possibility of losing an entire city and constant maintenance from that, not just a single production. I grew up with games like Age of Empires where the entire purpose is to destroy your opponents city while building up your own.

All the plunderers I’ve talked to ingame don’t plunder to make things personal or be mean unless those they plunder start making it personal with aggressive messages, they plunder because they love the game

People have said to try Elvenar if you don't want the PVP aspect, and it is a nice game, but it's just not the same as this one.
you’re right it is a different game. But it does strike me as more or less a “here’s what we would do if we could redesign FoE from scratch” type game.

SnowDogH

Plundering is more a psychological thing than anything else.

You are absolutely right. It is a psychological thing, It probably wouldn't have hit so hard if I got attacked once in a while, but when I was being attacked daily and many times twice a day, it got to me. AND then when a rich city plundered the highest thing of value instead of just taking some gold, I just had to sit back and wonder. However, I am learning, and will hopefully either get better, stop worrying about the PVP, or just quit playing the game altogether. Thanks though, I appreciated your insight.

qaccy

@snowdoghera I hope you continue on and enjoy the game! It's roughest starting out, when you're still learning the ropes and don't have a lot of 'stuff' built up. Players like you are common and (usually) easy targets for the ones who've been around a lot longer and/or have more understanding of how the game works. Thankfully(?) FoE is on your side here by limiting how often players can attack each other.

My advice would be to work towards not having anything valuable in your city that can be plundered at all. Goods can eventually be obtained in large quantities from Great Buildings, which can never be plundered, and from other buildings that produce goods when motivated (motivated buildings cannot be plundered either). You can also obtain goods directly from certain activities, like quests and the Guild Expedition. It will take time, but slowly you can trim out 'normal' goods buildings from your city and be able to progress quite effectively without ever worrying about plunderers being able to get anything good.

ffblackice

Just pop up a questoin, how is the neighborhood setup? by the time period city started, or by age of the city? I am in EMA but my neighborhoods are in BA & IA, not sure how it works.

Last edited: