• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Do I need to keep up the arms race?

DeletedUser9930

Ardak, just because you and I were incapable or unwilling doesn't mean that eschewing the arms race is impossible. One just has to make a full commitment to goods production. As referred to above in #5, my former guildmate has nearly 9 million points. He is in the Arctic Future and has won a total of eight battles. That's right, eight, not 800! He stopped fighting shortly after the introductory tutorials.

Mustapha00

Algona-

You know that I respect the Hades out of you and of your opinions. The fact that you are utterly and completely wrong in this instances does nothing to diminish my affection for you.

Ahem....

Anyway.....

In all the games of this general type that I have played over the years, most players go into it with the expectation that mounting the best defense they can will thwart the overwhelming majority of attackers, either because the attacker loses outright or because the attacker wins but pays too high a price for the victory and moves on to easier targets.

I have found that FoE fails in this aspect to an extent matched and surpassed only, perhaps, by Stronghold Kingdoms. If a player invests to any degree in offensive GBs, not to mention sets and other Event Reward structures, he is going to have a significantly higher ATT boost than the typical player can offset with a DEF boost. The attacking player need develop no particular special strategery, but rather the advantage comes mostly from time spent playing the game (longer to generate more FPs and the goods necessary to build and level GBs, more time to win more Event rewards, etc.).

Need proof? Okay.....how many players come here and post stories of how they are being mercilessly plundered? A fair few, right?

Compare two potential pieces of advice: build your defensive military versus "collect on time". How much more often do you read the latter as opposed to the former? 10 to 1? 20 to 1? Higher?

There have been many suggestions as to how Inno could balance things, from having the DEF side of the boost from Military GBs apply to town defense to requiring that the attacking player use units within a range of + or -1 Age of the person he is attacking (although the new Hood sorting software goes a ways towards accomplishing this- I am the first to say it is MUCH better than it was, although the fact that I am in a hood with 65 players ranging from about 3000 points to 85000 points and then one guy with 420,000 points- guess who wins the ladder for this Age every freakin week?- indicates that there is room for continued improvement).

I think players need to be aware of this part of the game early on, before they have spent too much time- and possibly money- only to /ragequit in frustration not far down the road.

Algona

We agree that no defence can stop a well developed determined attacker.

We disagree about the number of such attackers, or at least the importance of those attackers. I don't see it as large, the number of plunder complaints dropped to the point where more players complained about Portraits in the Event then complain about being plundered.

We disagree whether best possible defence is significant or particularly useful.

I think my personal experience with both the number of attacks and plunders i've undegone and my observations of the PvP towers support my viewpoint on both the previous opinions. No one else has shared their personal experiences in this game.

I don't think you do anyone any good by saying that putting up best possible defence does not do much good.

I don't understand why you are comparing Collect on Time and best possible defense as if they were mutually exclusive.

I do appreciate you as one of the posters that has to be listened to on these boards, I often agree with you. You're thoughtful, eloquent, and experienced. I just don't agree with your viewpoints on these matters.

Am I dead sure on my opinions on this? Nope, Am I confident that my analysis and conclusions based on my experience and observations are correct? Yup.

I sure would like to hear what you all see in your PvP towers and the number of times you've been attacked, successfully attacked, and plundered. Maybe i'm just on a 2+ year long run of good luck.

DeletedUser29766

Hope you'd okay with telling us- how much gold & supplies do you have? I had about 800 k of each when I was in IA, but I did camp a very long time with a good Alexandria.
224k gold and 20k supplies. Supplies became much more of a problem now that I am in EMA.
And I am also not able to trade for this amount of goods. I need to get better armies anyway now.
Can anyone give me a general idea how many military buildings I need this early? I have a mounted archer, a legionaire, plus old soldier and archers from iron age. Mercenary is the next in the research timeline and I am just trying to get an idea how much space I need with the expansions coming up at end of EMA.
I know the archer and soldier need to be upgraded and eventually the legionaire too. Should I have a catapult in there too?
Do I need maybe 5 military buildings closing out EMA? Are mounted archers and mounted infantry worth the real estate required? Negotiating the continent has gotten much harder since I created the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28670

5 tanneries, 1 shoemaker (just unlocked), a luau, and a witch doctor
Here'a my advice, don't rush ahead in the tech tree. It might seem good right now, but slowly and surely is the way to go for the tech tree- you'll build up everything. Also, have a lot of friends. You should have ALL of your buildings motivated. That doubles your production. Lighthouse of Alexandria is a very good great building, gives you a bonus on your supplies and goods too. That will help too.
But REMEMBER- never rush in the tech tree! Take time to produce supplies. To gain great building blueprints... etc. You'll always want to take a break from researching every once in a while.

DeletedUser29766

Here'a my advice, don't rush ahead in the tech tree. It might seem good right now, but slowly and surely is the way to go for the tech tree- you'll build up everything. Also, have a lot of friends. You should have ALL of your buildings motivated. That doubles your production. Lighthouse of Alexandria is a very good great building, gives you a bonus on your supplies and goods too. That will help too.
But REMEMBER- never rush in the tech tree! Take time to produce supplies. To gain great building blueprints... etc. You'll always want to take a break from researching every once in a while.
Oh OK - I thought you go as fast as the forge points build up and you can round up the goods.
And I am welcoming friend invites. I invited my whole neighborhood at the beginning and have no more invites. Why don't they tell you there is a limit? No bueno.

DeletedUser

224k gold and 20k supplies. Supplies became much more of a problem now that I am in EMA.
And I am also not able to trade for this amount of goods. I need to get better armies anyway now.
Can anyone give me a general idea how many military buildings I need this early? I have a mounted archer, a legionaire, plus old soldier and archers from iron age. Mercenary is the next in the research timeline and I am just trying to get an idea how much space I need with the expansions coming up at end of EMA.
I know the archer and soldier need to be upgraded and eventually the legionaire too. Should I have a catapult in there too?
Do I need maybe 5 military buildings closing out EMA? Are mounted archers and mounted infantry worth the real estate required? Negotiating the continent has gotten much harder since I created the thread.
Honestly, you should delete the legionnaire barracks now. Hold onto the soldier barracks only until you get mercenaries, then delete them, too. Mounted archers are not much better than regular archers. When I was in EMA, I believe I skipped the mounted archers and just went with archers, mercenaries and the EMA artillery until I got to HMA. In my opinion, EMA has some of the worst units in the entire game.

DeletedUser29295

Honestly, you should delete the legionnaire barracks now. Hold onto the soldier barracks only until you get mercenaries, then delete them, too. Mounted archers are not much better than regular archers. When I was in EMA, I believe I skipped the mounted archers and just went with archers, mercenaries and the EMA artillery until I got to HMA. In my opinion, EMA has some of the worst units in the entire game.

While I will agree about those being the worst so far in the game, I loved the Mt Archers. They were my personal favorite to use for attacking.

DeletedUser27184

If you rushed it so far, I would advise you to move slower up to HMA, then park your city.
That means, you STOP all tech advancement, and work on your GB's for some time. Get them, and up them to level 5-6 or so, before moving on.
Get the LoA, CoA, CDM, Zeus and upgrade them.
Then you will get lots of supps + good attack power.
Build the Heavy and the crossbow barracks only, as they all you need.
Then you can do GE, attack your own neighborhood and so on.

why the above?
1. HMA is much better then EMA, with enough village spaces to build what you need.
2. While it is possible to rush in early ages, it gets harder and harder as you press the ages, which make the advancement slower and slower. Up to a point that it is very annoying to do by itself. And very very slowly.
3, Building the city up, make you pass the later ages faster (then no GB's and just rushing).
4. So, the game is intended to be balanced between tech advancement and GB's advancement.

DeletedUser29766

And to work on great buildings: I either buy diamonds or wait for all the blueprints in tavern visits?

DeletedUser27184

And to work on great buildings: I either buy diamonds or wait for all the blueprints in tavern visits?
There are many ways to get the Blueprints. Though, unless you are wealthy, I don't advise to do it with diamonds.
My way -
1. Get maximum number of friends. - Add friends up to limit (80) and accept more (up to 140) + get a BIG guild with lots of players. That will give you about 200 players available for the next phase.
2. Check on the GB in each of your player list (i.e. neighborhood, guild, friends) on find where you can snipe* a reward. Hopefully you will earn most of your FP back (through the reward) and also you get the blueprints.
3. Once you get even one GB, you can start swapping FP with other player. That will net you even more rewards and blueprints.

Snipe* - When a GB is close to level, and you come and put enough FP to get a reward, and no one can overpay you for that reward.

Being very active in other player GB's will net you the blueprints you need. (plus medals that you also need).

DeletedUser29766

I see guilds in the global rankings but can only figure out how to join ones in my suggested guilds list. how can I either search for a specific guild by name or access/join them through the rankings?

DeletedUser

I see guilds in the global rankings but can only figure out how to join ones in my suggested guilds list. how can I either search for a specific guild by name or access/join them through the rankings?
If you click on the guild name, a popup will appear with at least "Guild Profile" listed. (Possibly also "Join" or "Apply", depending the the guild's settings.) If you click on "Guild Profile", it takes you to their profile page, where they should have information on how to join. If they already have 80 members you won't be able to join unless/until they lose somebody and drop below 80.