• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Electric Cars & Power Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny B. Goode

Our power went out the other day, and it brought to mind the problems there were last summer with the power grid in Texas that also affected us in the middle of the country. Not to mention winter storms and hurricanes that can knock out power for weeks at a time. And my mind then went to the ongoing push for electric cars to replace those with internal combustion engines. And I wondered why no one was talking about the extra load that all those electric cars are going to be placing on the nation's power grid. Imagine another heat wave summer where it is all the grid can do to keep up with us all having our AC on. Then imagine a winter storm or hurricane that knocks out power. In the first case, widespread use of electric cars will probably push the grid past the breaking point. And in the second case, when there's a storm that knocks out power, would that mean a stranded population unable to recharge their vehicles? I guess a generator might be a short term solution, but then you'd need either two of them or an extra powerful one to keep both your home and car going. Maybe I'm way off base, but it sure seems like a future problem that no one is talking about. Anyone else see this as a possible problem?

Ironrooster

If the power goes out you can't recharge your car, but then the gas station pumps can't pump gas into your car either.

The extra load from lots of cars would be a problem.

From what I have read, there's no energy savings from recharging cars where the electricity is from coal burning power plants.

The answer is to replace the coal burners with more clean energy plants.

RazorbackPirate

You don't buy 15 million dollar mansions on an island if you think climate change is real. You do when you know it's not.

RazorbackPirate

Yeah right. Tell it to the folks on NC's Outer Banks who have been watching their oceanfront homes get washed away or the folks in Flagler Beach, FL who are about to. I guess that they didn't get the memo.
Coastal erosion and sand loss is not the same as rising sea levels.
He says Flagler County will also discuss beach erosion at their meeting on Monday. The Flagler Beach City Commission will meet again Thursday after that to work on more short-term answers.
A 90-minute emergency meeting of the Flagler Beach City Commission this morning resulted in more confusion, disagreement and speculation than direction on how to address what City Manager William Whitson described as "disturbing" and relatively sudden erosion of a massive portion of beach at ...
Florida State Road A1A travels through Flagler Beach along an approximate north-south axis. The road suffered significant damage during Hurricane Matthew, due to coastal erosion facilitated by a storm surge.
Nice try.

Johnny B. Goode

Coastal erosion and sand loss is not the same as rising sea levels.

Nice try.
Thanks for derailing the thread with your head in the sand world view. Maybe you missed the phrase in the stuff you quoted. "...disturbing and relatively sudden erosion of a massive portion of beach..." Climate change isn't only about rising sea levels, by the way. Maybe you should look at other sources than Fox News and the like. (Yeah, I know, you almost never watch Fox News.) :rolleyes:

RazorbackPirate

Oh, my mistake. Coastal erosion caused by exceptional storm activity is unrelated to climate. Silly me.
Yes, your mistake and silly you. I'd go so far as to say foolish. I know a man who had something to say on the issue a couple thousand years ago.
“So everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods and torrents came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not do them, will be like a foolish (stupid) man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods and torrents came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great and complete was its fall.” Matt 7:24-27
Coastal erosion is an issue that's been around forever. People should know it's foolish to build your house on the sand.
Are you going to be the keynote speaker at the Flat Earth Society's annual meeting again this year?
Once again, no facts, just name calling. You sound like you have a TV between your ears.

RazorbackPirate

Maybe you missed the phrase in the stuff you quoted. "...disturbing and relatively sudden erosion of a massive portion of beach..." Climate change isn't only about rising sea levels, by the way. Maybe you should look at other sources than Fox News and the like. (Yeah, I know, you almost never watch Fox News.) :rolleyes:
Maybe you missed the part where is says,
Hurricane Matthew, due to coastal erosion facilitated by a storm surge.
Maybe you should look at other sources than Fox News and the like.
Fox News! Why would I want to watch the controlled opposition? I can't watch Fox News even if I wanted to. I don't own a TV. I haven't since 1987. Must be the difference between you and I. I've missed 30 years of brainwashing and am forced to do actual research.

Haven't we been through this before? Aren't you the one who refused to read anything contrary sent to you? You know actual research and stuff? Like this?
3 weeks ago - Over 1,100 scientists, including one Nobel laureate — Norwegian-American physicist Ivar Giaever — have signed a declaration stating that “there is no climate emergency.” The declaration was signed in late June and is already causing a fuss within the climate hysteria community.
4 weeks ago - There is no statistical evidence, the signatories say, “that global warming is intensifying hurricanes, floods, droughts and such-like natural disasters, or making them more frequent.” “There is no climate emergency. We strongly oppose the harmful and unrealistic net-zero CO2 policy proposed ...

Praetorius

Thanks for derailing the thread with your head in the sand world view. Maybe you missed the phrase in the stuff you quoted. "...disturbing and relatively sudden erosion of a massive portion of beach..." Climate change isn't only about rising sea levels, by the way. Maybe you should look at other sources than Fox News and the like. (Yeah, I know, you almost never watch Fox News.) :rolleyes:
Nonono. He gets his weapons-grade bad-takes directly spoonfed to him by Qanon, Alex Jones, and the conspiracy theorists on Facebook.

Pericles the Lion

3 weeks ago - Over 1,100 scientists, including one Nobel laureate — Norwegian-American physicist Ivar Giaever — have signed a declaration stating that “there is no climate emergency.” The declaration was signed in late June and is already causing a fuss within the climate hysteria community.

"According to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the University of Oslo, and Google Scholar, Ivar Giaever has not published any work in the area of climate science. Giaever’s climate science resume is limited to serving on a climate change discussion panel at the 51st convention of Nobel laureates in physics, chemistry, physiology and medicine. At the convention, Giaever stated he is skeptical of the importance of the issue of global warming."

Praetorius

"According to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the University of Oslo, and Google Scholar, Ivar Giaever has not published any work in the area of climate science. Giaever’s climate science resume is limited to serving on a climate change discussion panel at the 51st convention of Nobel laureates in physics, chemistry, physiology and medicine. At the convention, Giaever stated he is skeptical of the importance of the issue of global warming."
Addendum: Ivar Giaever currently works as a '''science advisor''' for the conservative/libertarian think-tank, the Heartland Institute. Which is known for its rejection of scientific consensus of climate change and the negative health impacts of smoking.

RazorbackPirate

Another one with no facts, just name calling. Nice to see you. I wondered if you'd come by.
He gets his weapons-grade bad-takes directly spoonfed to him by Qanon, Alex Jones, and the conspiracy theorists on Facebook.
First, there is no Qanon. That's a fiction made up by the media. There was Q, the one who posted and there were anons, who researched the info from the posts. BTW - How many Q posts have you personally read? You know, actual research. I suspect zero. However, I read them all. Once again proving I do research, where you outsource your brain to those who tell you what to think.

Second, I don't watch or listen to Alex Jones, but am familiar with some of his work over the years. While I don't agree with many of his takes, I do see how accurate he's been on many of them over the years.

Third, I've never done Facebook or any other social media. Never had it, never will. Working in the Tech industry taught me early on, if the product is free for you to use, you are the product.

Fail, fail, fail. Try harder. Any facts?

RazorbackPirate

Awesome. One guy about one guy. Now do the other 1099. What's their background and expertise? How about yours? How many advanced degrees in physics, chemistry, physiology and medicine do you have? How many times have you been invited to a convention of Nobel laureates? Are you a Nobel laureate?

What did the university of Oslo dude have to say about the arguments made in the letter? Anything? Or like you did he just try to discredit the author instead of discrediting the conclusions?

How about read what the 1,100 had to say and come back with a point by point rebuttal? I know. That's work and requires actual thinking. It's so much easier to let other tell you what to think.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

Addendum: Ivar Giaever currently works as a '''science advisor''' for the conservative/libertarian think-tank, the Heartland Institute. Which is known for its rejection of scientific consensus of climate change and the negative health impacts of smoking.
Great, so you'll read the report and come back with a point by point rebuttal as well? Or do you only listen to approved progressive sources. I listen to both and reach my own conclusions.

Here's a few for you to research. Tell me about the climate when the Vikings had settlement in Greenland for 400 years, naming it Greenland because at the time it was a green land. Maybe you'd care to comment on the Scottish monastery records where they documented their grape growling and wine making when it's far too cold to grow grapes in Scotland today. How about going the other way, Tell me about Europe's little Ice Age. How about in North America, the year without a summer?

Anything related to facts and research?

Pericles the Lion

Awesome. One guy about one guy. Now do the other 1099. What's their background and expertise? How about yours? How many advanced degrees in physics, chemistry, physiology and medicine do you have? How many times have you been invited to a convention of Nobel laureates? Are you a Nobel laureate?

Waht did the university of Oslo dude have to say about the arguments made in the letter? Anything? Or like you did he just try to discredit the author instead of discrediting the conclusions?

How about read what the 1,100 had to say and come back with a point by point rebuttal? I know. That's work and requires actual thinking. It's so much easier to let other tell you what to think.
Nah, not interested in debunking any of your quackery and will waste no time providing it with oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.