• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the Guild Battlegrounds Update 2023

Amitola1

One more thing. I am retired and play FoE daily. When I have reach a point where I have done all I can do in both of my cities giving me some down time all I have to do for some filler time is to touch base with the FoE forums and can have a very good day. In fact reading these threads is like watching a good comedy movie sometimes. Opin I mean complaints are like a$$holes, everybody has one.

Amitola1

You consider those who pay to play the game, who by their actions keep it free for others... as cheaters?
Maybe "cheating" is not a good word for it. Really not sure what would be but as @Darkest.Knight said without people buying diamonds there would no game. I do spend a small amount of money, just not a huge amount.
Guess I'm stuck with it though since Boys flying kites haul in their white winged birds; You can't do that way when you're flying words.

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

We have a really crappy guild that usually doesn't get more than a sector or two whenever they make it to 1000 league points
Who's at 950 league points with 2 victories..
suggesting they started at 650
and about to get an easy battle
it'll be funny to see them in 2nd or 3rd in two weeks.
I'm calling them crappy for more than them just not having much GBG power, so don't get after me on that Mr and Mrs I Spend All My Time Combating Everything I See In the Forums. Thanks.
So what? 2 victories with 950 LP gets them, wait for it, absolutely nothing. The question is which guilds are currently #1 and #2? My guess they both are 1000 LP with 2 victories and tons more VP than the guild you refer to and they are probably the two strongest guilds on the world. Once the championship is over nobody will remember who came in 2nd.

Amitola1

So what? 2 victories with 950 LP gets them, wait for it, absolutely nothing. The question is which guilds are currently #1 and #2? My guess they both are 1000 LP with 2 victories and tons more VP than the guild you refer to and they are probably the two strongest guilds on the world. Once the championship is over nobody will remember who came in 2nd.
More than likely the only ones who remembers which guild came in 1st will be the guild that came 1st. Of course having been given bragging rights they do their best to let everyone know. Even in major sports when someone does something for the 1st time they get bragging rights and no one can take it away from them.

Eadyth

I have to say that not spending cash does make progress a lot slower; my cash spending friend has moved forward really fast. It's a matter of choice, has nothing to do with cheating. As stated, if no one spends, no game to complain about, lol.
I don't consider it cheating at all either, but I do consider spending money on it "not fun." If I had money to spend, there are things I would spend money on, but not on making my city powerful. I would spend money on things like having my own personally designed avatar, aesthetic things related to the city, convenience things to save me time. I remember one time I wanted an avatar that was part of a purchase and I might have done it, but to do it I would have had to buy a bunch of junk for my city, it was a package deal, nope, not doing it. Spending money on competing doesn't make sense to me, then all we are doing is competing about who has the most money. For me it's a matter of pride that no money was spent in creating my city. A financial cap would make sense to me as an equalizer, but I'm sure Inno wouldn't agree, lol. It's okay. You see I never set about this game trying to be #1. That's ephemeral anyway. I play the game because it's interesting to do and because I meet interesting people. Other people need to be #1. I don't. I do get excited when I do better than I thought, when I figure something out. If I ever end up #1 by doing my own thing, I'm sure I'll do a happy dance (though I'm sure it won't last long). But dumping a bunch of money into a game so I can say I'm number on, that's just not me.

Amitola1

I don't consider it cheating at all either, but I do consider spending money on it "not fun." If I had money to spend, there are things I would spend money on, but not on making my city powerful. I would spend money on things like having my own personally designed avatar, aesthetic things related to the city, convenience things to save me time. I remember one time I wanted an avatar that was part of a purchase and I might have done it, but to do it I would have had to buy a bunch of junk for my city, it was a package deal, nope, not doing it. Spending money on competing doesn't make sense to me, then all we are doing is competing about who has the most money. For me it's a matter of pride that no money was spent in creating my city. A financial cap would make sense to me as an equalizer, but I'm sure Inno wouldn't agree, lol. It's okay. You see I never set about this game trying to be #1. That's ephemeral anyway. I play the game because it's interesting to do and because I meet interesting people. Other people need to be #1. I don't. I do get excited when I do better than I thought, when I figure something out. If I ever end up #1 by doing my own thing, I'm sure I'll do a happy dance (though I'm sure it won't last long). But dumping a bunch of money into a game so I can say I'm number on, that's just not me.
This sums up what I was trying to say but didn't quite figure out how to do it. Thanks @Eadyth

Coach Zuck

sure, so half way through the championship some random crap guild deserves to show as 2nd place.. 3 matches later it may have balanced out but then BAM new championship starts and the leaderboard is randomly ordered again based on who got lucky for their first match. A guild working to be on the top of the leaderboard should have that last longer than the 4 days between championships.

Pericles the Lion

sure, so half way through the championship some random crap guild deserves to show as 2nd place.. 3 matches later it may have balanced out but then BAM new championship starts and the leaderboard is randomly ordered again based on who got lucky for their first match. A guild working to be on the top of the leaderboard should have that last longer than the 4 days between championships.
You're not paying attention to how the leaderboard works. Sure, during the first few seasons there can be some jockeying for positions. However, after a while the ranking will stabilize with the strongest guilds at the top. These strongest guilds will occupy the top spots and remain there. Guilds flip-flopping between Platinum and Diamond might nip at their heels but will not be able to overtake them. They won't be able to hold onto D1000 and will have neither enough victories nor VP even if they wind up in D1000 at the end of a championship season.

Btw, you're not helping yourself by referring to other guilds as "crap guilds".

Be Chuille

Personal opinion - Inno broke GBG.
GBG had issues before, but instead of fixing them, they made it worse.
- The new Guild Ranking is illogical.
- The cost of the new buildings discriminates against smaller guilds.
- The increased cost of diamonds has made GBG too expensive to compete, because they timed the buildings so that you pretty much need to use diamonds to finish buildings for the VP boosts.
- The winner in close contests is the guild who spends the most diamonds on the boosts, and the most goods on the most expensive buildings. This is not a sign of fighting strength. It is a perk for the rich.
- The Tower buildings ensure that the strongest will become stronger, and unbeatable. So eventually they will have cities full of towers and other guilds or up and coming guilds will never have a chance to catch up or compete.
- The changes did nothing to stop the farming, or swapping, or stronger guilds locking the map and beaching other guilds.
- The changes did nothing to address the inequities in the matchmaking.
- The increased number of hits per sector discriminates against smaller guilds, whose members hit the attrition cap sooner and can take fewer sectors.

I would not mind the attrition cap, if it did not make things worse because of the above. The increased number of hits per sector gives more hits, but without buying the most expensive buildings, attrition does not allow for moving fast or closing on the map.
The HQ building is a good idea, but the cost is too high to make it feasible to use every season.

So... Inno breaks GBG, decreasing fights for most players, and now they are taking away GvG.

Amitola1

Personal opinion - Inno broke GBG.
GBG had issues before, but instead of fixing them, they made it worse.
- The new Guild Ranking is illogical.
- The cost of the new buildings discriminates against smaller guilds.
- The increased cost of diamonds has made GBG too expensive to compete, because they timed the buildings so that you pretty much need to use diamonds to finish buildings for the VP boosts.
- The winner in close contests is the guild who spends the most diamonds on the boosts, and the most goods on the most expensive buildings. This is not a sign of fighting strength. It is a perk for the rich.
- The Tower buildings ensure that the strongest will become stronger, and unbeatable. So eventually they will have cities full of towers and other guilds or up and coming guilds will never have a chance to catch up or compete.
- The changes did nothing to stop the farming, or swapping, or stronger guilds locking the map and beaching other guilds.
- The changes did nothing to address the inequities in the matchmaking.
- The increased number of hits per sector discriminates against smaller guilds, whose members hit the attrition cap sooner and can take fewer sectors.

I would not mind the attrition cap, if it did not make things worse because of the above. The increased number of hits per sector gives more hits, but without buying the most expensive buildings, attrition does not allow for moving fast or closing on the map.
The HQ building is a good idea, but the cost is too high to make it feasible to use every season.

So... Inno breaks GBG, decreasing fights for most players, and now they are taking away GvG.
I couldn't have said it better. At best my guild in my main will be competitive in Platinum making short forays into Diamond for frags of the TG. We understand this and will adapt to that strategy.

Coach Zuck

You're not paying attention to how the leaderboard works. Sure, during the first few seasons there can be some jockeying for positions. However, after a while the ranking will stabilize with the strongest guilds at the top. These strongest guilds will occupy the top spots and remain there. Guilds flip-flopping between Platinum and Diamond might nip at their heels but will not be able to overtake them. They won't be able to hold onto D1000 and will have neither enough victories nor VP even if they wind up in D1000 at the end of a championship season.

Btw, you're not helping yourself by referring to other guilds as "crap guilds".
you're not helping yourself by not listening and refuting other's feedback just because you and your small world and small city disagree with it. And yeah, a guild that participates in homophobic attacks and only signs in to GVG once in every couple of months just to attack out of their personal religious beliefs is a crap guild.

Eadyth

you're not helping yourself by not listening and refuting other's feedback just because you and your small world and small city disagree with it. And yeah, a guild that participates in homophobic attacks and only signs in to GVG once in every couple of months just to attack out of their personal religious beliefs is a crap guild.
Wow. I'm sorry you experienced that. I think crap is rather a weak word for it.

WillyTwoShoes

Once the championship is over nobody will remember who came in 2nd.
Hey!
Thank you for bringing up a very good point that bothers me about GBG.
Its such a simple thing really, but why doesn't our collective guild profiles display
the 2nd and 3rd place trophy's for GBG like it does in GE?

What's up with that Inno?

Eadyth

I think it's interesting that this perceived to be a contest of fighting strength and that some things are dismissed as "not fighting strength." The game is a competition with many aspects some of which are direct battling (the part I find the least interesting). But every empire is made of a variety of resources and every army has to have supplies, analysists, has to take into account the weather, the geography, just babbling off the top of my head here so that you understand that its not (only) about the individual strength of fighters, that everyone else matters too.
I really dislike that money can be used to advance a player in the game, but what that player acquires with money isn't to be dismissed as "not fighting" and therefore "not part of the contest." Anything that a player can do that the game allows is part of the contest. I don't like all of them, but to treat the contest as only being about fights -- I protest.

Angry.Blanket

I think it's interesting that this perceived to be a contest of fighting strength and that some things are dismissed as "not fighting strength." The game is a competition with many aspects some of which are direct battling (the part I find the least interesting). But every empire is made of a variety of resources and every army has to have supplies, analysists, has to take into account the weather, the geography, just babbling off the top of my head here so that you understand that its not (only) about the individual strength of fighters, that everyone else matters too.
I really dislike that money can be used to advance a player in the game, but what that player acquires with money isn't to be dismissed as "not fighting" and therefore "not part of the contest." Anything that a player can do that the game allows is part of the contest. I don't like all of them, but to treat the contest as only being about fights -- I protest.
I have never noticed that players advance in the game, Guilds advance, but individual players are just small pieces of the puzzle.

Eadyth

But anyway, the welfare of a guild is made up of a variety of players, not all of which have to be strong fighters. And "strong fighting" isn't the most interesting thing about the game or the most admirable thing to everyone who plays it. It's certainly not to me.