• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the GvG shutdown and the Guild Raids

Dominator - X

FOE: the top players love gvg
Top players: we love Gvg
People: bring GvG to mobile
FOE: we will remove GvG
People: why?
FOE: it's to hard to program our own game
Top Players: .. FOE is dead
Majority Of Players: FOE will continue on.

That said, I do feel bad for those who enjoyed GvG. However, and while truly sympathetic, the small percentage of players who do engage in it, only a fraction of them will actually quit playing. It won't make that much of a difference in the end. If anything quelled interest among longtime players, it was the new dopey GBG format. As much as INNO wants to think it solved anything, it didn't. It just shifted the dissatisfaction among more players.

Douglas 221

Read their post again. =) "We got together on Discord, planned with our guild and our allies, helped each other build our cities once the brief fight was done, and most importantly shared our lives."

We do the same and GBG as well but it's harder to do because there is no one set time where the magic happens. I think at first people will still gather but then people will drop off as what happens in real life when a common goal is no longer. Maybe not. One can hope. It's the people I play with, have come to know over the years that has kept me playing and GvG made that possible and GvG is fun and exciting and not a grind and money suck like everything else.

All I can say to everyone is if you haven't had that experience then you truly missed out on something special.
This is exactly why I like GvG over GBG. The set time for all to meet up. The 4 hour timer which gets pushed into a 2 hour window as not everything can get closed at the same time in GBG makes it a HUGE time commitment which is just not fun.
GBG is nice for people to just come play when they are free and do their thing and leave. The need for 'races' during a season adds some aspect to the fun for GBG but usually only 2 guilds are involved and there is no way to direct player way to slow down the other guild like there is in defending a sector in GvG.
There is no place in the game, besides GvG, where players can use lower age troops to fight. Maybe one can use a FE Hover while fighting in OF or VF in GBG or GE but that is not direct fight of the same age troop. This is another added feature in GvG. When fighting on the EMA map... only EMA troops can be used. It is a direct ONE age against the same age. We can not get that with PvP as there are EMA age cities who have TE or FE troops.
In one world I am in Progressive and had to fight against someone with OF troops because they moved up the world map. That does not make it fun. When reading the information offered so far on this new feature... I see a redue of GBG where you use your highest age troops to battle -or- negotiate, There will be NO need in lower age troops once you progress higher.
One other item mentioned, rewards, When fighting in GvG there is no break in the fight with a reward popping up to get in the way of the fight. I would be great in GBG if all of the rewards earned would be available to collect after the battle is complete. After one is finished fighting on the map click a collect rewards button and let us look thru the rewards. I really do not care which sector I was fighting when I won a prize.
I hope these timers on Guild Raids will not be something like every 4 hours. Some can not participate in GvG due to the time of day or with the same exact time every day on every world... BUT having a set daily time (even if its 3x per day like every 8 hours) allows people to have a set time to plan to fight. This was what people were talking about above with getting on discord and enjoying time together. People have reorganized their lives to be available for that 20 mins window to fight nightly. People LIKE this part of the game. GBG is very fluid and very difficult to get people all on at one time to fight together.

Majority Of Players: FOE will continue on.

That said, I do feel bad for those who enjoyed GvG. However, and while truly sympathetic, the small percentage of players who do engage in it, only a fraction of them will actually quit playing. It won't make that much of a difference in the end. If anything quelled interest among longtime players, it was the new dopey GBG format. As much as INNO wants to think it solved anything, it didn't. It just shifted the dissatisfaction among more players.
The majority of inno players are alts and diamond farmers good luck with that one

kanati8869

If you idiots wouldn't have allowed guilds to completely lock down the all ages map in GvG to the point where they merely had to run a few people through to maintain their dominance, there would have been a lot more people playing it. It was my favorite part of the game for a long time. Then guilds exploited what I fully believe was a bug and your response was that it was designed that way. So two or three guilds could eliminate competition on the map entirely which was the feature's downfall. So don't try to gloss it over and pretend that people just didn't like it. You failed to maintain it and expand the map with new eras (1 map could have been used tor 2-3 eras in the upper levels.)

So lets replace it with something that will likely.be diamond heavy and drain everyone's coffers and armies. Bravo. </sarcasm>

Colorado Guy

I've always thought GvG was archaic and needed to go. I thought GbG was supposed to replace GvG back when GbG was released. I'm glad to see it gone. So many guilds 'require' an Observatory. Finally, that GB can be pretty much gone. I look forward to the change, Inno

I've always thought GvG was archaic and needed to go. I thought GbG was supposed to replace GvG back when GbG was released. I'm glad to see it gone. So many guilds 'require' an Observatory. Finally, that GB can be pretty much gone. I look forward to the change, Inno
GvG was the only last element of strategy in this game worth going for, the rest is meat bucket challenge

Amitola1

Your comment does not make sense. To fight in GbG all I have to do is click on autobattle. In GvG you have to click 3 times per fight on sectors owned by another guild and if you click just a bit outside the correct area it takes you to another tab. Also, scripting and GvG being cumbersome are seperate issues aside from the fact that there is more lag in GvG when the scripts are active.
At least they did address the increased lag time in the update teaser. It had to do with maintenance and not being a cross platform feature. Whether that's an excuse or a reason for not keeping it up to date is not clear. For me it really doesn't matter since I have never played GvG.

At least they did address the increased lag time in the update teaser. It had to do with maintenance and not being a cross platform feature. Whether that's an excuse or a reason for not keeping it up to date is not clear. For me it really doesn't matter since I have never played GvG.
yep in usual inno fashion make a problem better make it worse then fix it after ignoring it for 2 years and everyone will sing praise lol jk.. problem was they didn't allocate enough server resources and the game was lagging people 100-200% :) because of bot accounts on every server.

Johnny B. Goode

...Instead, in line with the market and our vision for Forge of Empires,...
Here is the biggest problem that has been plaguing FoE ever since the original game designer passed away. I believe if he had still been in the picture FoE would have evolved very differently and been a much more enjoyable game. It started going downhill almost immediately after his passing and has accelerated that decline in the last couple of years. As I've said multiple times before, FoE was a very promising game in the early years, but has turned into a slog through mud for the most part. Cookie cutter events, massive power creep, thoughtless addition/deletion of game features based almost solely on how much revenue they'll generate.

Here's what I believe was wrong with GvG:
1) Obviously the fact that only PC players could access it.
2) The lack of era-specific maps above Future Era. The AA map was a tragically bad decision, better to have left FE as the top map than to put that crap in there.
3) Lack of updating to defensive abilities. Defending has not been improved since its inception. Having a max defense boost of 75 is laughable. Can't even call that fighting.
4) The ability of guilds to shut off beach tiles. Just a ridiculous feature that should have been fixed long, long ago.
5) The timing of reset/recalc. Not at all convenient for most time zones. Unfortunately, that would be a problem no matter what time they had reset/recalc, but maybe having it twice a day rather than just once would have helped. This was probably the major reason I never got heavily invested in GvG for very long. Reset/recalc hit right in the middle of family time for me, and you know who wins that battle.

Why do I keep playing FoE? Habit, for one, and it's hard to just walk away from cities I've been playing for 8+ years. Some of you will say I don't really "play" FoE anymore, and you wouldn't be wrong. I ignore most non-main city features almost completely, and have started skipping most events. Mostly I collect and visit the Forum. Not nearly as often as I once did, and the day is probably coming when I will not bother at all. No anger, no "rage", just disappointment.

Coach Zuck

How is it fun to play GvG against script users every night and what is the difference if GbG occurs at different times of the day? Is 8 p.m. server time the only time people have free time to socialize about a game?
stop whining, you clearly just couldn't get a coherant team together and don't know what you're doing or looking at. Any bots in GVG have been shut down within months at worst, many much quicker, and there is usually 6+ months that go by between new instances of the bot-using guilds showing up again and suddenly being capable again. All you have to say is 5 different comments in this thread whining "oooowooo buut the bottts" and you couldn't sound more inexperienced and incapable in an audience of decent gamers who appreciated a well thought out feature. Heck last week I played my daily GVG in a eSport arena gaming cafe (HyperX in Vegas) and each day I had a small army of kids watching behind me by the end just because they realized as soon as I hopped on discord we were about to do something real. They asked me what it was after. You won't get that with sleepy GBG. You won't get that with crap that can be overran by bots. Whatever, I don't really care anymore, but be respectful to what others are clearly mourning.

Last edited:

Coach Zuck

Read their post again. =) "We got together on Discord, planned with our guild and our allies, helped each other build our cities once the brief fight was done, and most importantly shared our lives."

We do the same and GBG as well but it's harder to do because there is no one set time where the magic happens. I think at first people will still gather but then people will drop off as what happens in real life when a common goal is no longer. Maybe not. One can hope. It's the people I play with, have come to know over the years that has kept me playing and GvG made that possible and GvG is fun and exciting and not a grind and money suck like everything else.

All I can say to everyone is if you haven't had that experience then you truly missed out on something special.
what have you been getting on discord to discuss with GBG? this is also what I'm going to miss the most. Met many friends ethos way. The only part of GBG I've thought of implementing discord for was the start of it, 5am for me and most of our GVG crew doesn't make it to that.. But considering using the target and stop symbol on the map is pretty effective I don't really see the value voice chat adds, and as such trying to add voice chat to it doesn't really seem like it would catch on especially when everyone's groggy at that hour.
personally I'm probably going back to s*mcity.. Haven't been able to convince any of my friends. It's grown quite nicely in the 6 years I've been playing this game. My city hasn't become destroyed or outdated.

Amitola1

This is exactly why I like GvG over GBG. The set time for all to meet up
Unfortunately the time only works if everyone is in the same time zone which probably contributes to the lower participation in GvG. For retired people it shouldn't make a difference so they would be able to play no matter what the time day it falls.