• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the GvG shutdown and the Guild Raids

Long ago this became a miserable, individualized game that rewards cheaters with bots, people willing to spend way too much of their life online, and an obvious relentless grab for our cash. I only remain in the game for the fun of getting together for an hour at a specific time, logging into discord, competing with others while making friends whose lives have become a part of mine. During Covid isolation tjese people literally saved my life. Gbg is a grind, where sure you work together for a goal but the daily social gathering in which we share our lives, our pain, our joys, and even sometimes meet in person will now end. Not surprised that inno will now add another feature to add reasons to spend. Gvg was my game and why I spent time and money. Our group of several guilds will go find some new excuse to get together and spend our money elsewhere. Thanks for the heads-up!

Our guild has never been involved in GvG and we are very social. We talk, get to know each other, make times to get together. I don’t think you need GvG for that to happen in a well run guild. We also have a discord channel to share fun stuff, pics, and game info.

Amitola1

GBG is nice for people to just come play when they are free and do their thing and leave. The need for 'races' during a season adds some aspect to the fun for GBG but usually only 2 guilds are involved and there is no way to direct player way to slow down the other guild like there is in defending a sector in GvG.
There is no place in the game, besides GvG, where players can use lower age troops to fight. Maybe one can use a FE Hover while fighting in OF or VF in GBG or GE but that is not direct fight of the same age troop. This is another added feature in GvG. When fighting on the EMA map... only EMA troops can be used. It is a direct ONE age against the same age. We can not get that with PvP as there are EMA age cities who have TE or FE troops.
In one world I am in Progressive and had to fight against someone with OF troops because they moved up the world map. That does not make it fun. When reading the information offered so far on this new feature... I see a redue of GBG where you use your highest age troops to battle -or- negotiate, There will be NO need in lower age troops once you progress higher.
One other item mentioned, rewards, When fighting in GvG there is no break in the fight with a reward popping up to get in the way of the fight. I would be great in GBG if all of the rewards earned would be available to collect after the battle is complete. After one is finished fighting on the map click a collect rewards button and let us look thru the rewards. I really do not care which sector I was fighting when I won a prize.
I hope these timers on Guild Raids will not be something like every 4 hours. Some can not participate in GvG due to the time of day or with the same exact time every day on every world... BUT having a set daily time (even if its 3x per day like every 8 hours) allows people to have a set time to plan to fight. This was what people were talking about above with getting on discord and enjoying time together. People have reorganized their lives to be available for that 20 mins window to fight nightly. People LIKE this part of the game. GBG is very fluid and very difficult to get people all on at one time to fight together.
Honestly I have a hard time following your logic here. That could be because I don't do GvG though. I also like the idea of not having to carry troops from so many ages/eras. With both GE and GBG I only have to carry previous and current ages. In PvP I just don't do the upper age so I can still only need units from 2 ages.

Last edited:

Amitola1

yep in usual inno fashion make a problem better make it worse then fix it after ignoring it for 2 years and everyone will sing praise lol jk.. problem was they didn't allocate enough server resources and the game was lagging people 100-200% :) because of bot accounts on every server.
That makes sense. I have seen the bot, script and alt issue mentioned here and in the GBG feedback thread but have no personal proof of it but that has been an issue in all of the online games I have played but from what I understand here it is an issue that INNO ignores.

Friend222

I was extremely disappointed to learn that gvg is being discontinued. I have been playing since 2015 only because it existed. If the new addition doesn't mimic the current gvg gameplay, I will be gone along with the considerable diamonds I buy. I foresee the same result from a lot of other gvg players. Battlegrounds sucks and especially the new version. One of the main reasons for people stopping playing gvg was due to the bugs which Inno refused to fix.

Orius Maximus

I should have cooked up a big batch of popcorn before starting this thread.

It's a good thing I don't have a liquor cabinet. I'd have to lock it up tight to make it harder to do a drinking game over the usual complaints...FoE is dying, GvG was true socializing, GvG was the only good part of the game, GvG had the only strategy, GvG was the only true measure of skill, GbG sucks, bots, cheating, etc. Because by the time I got to the end of the thread a drinking game over GvG would have lead to liver failure.

It's like I said a few weeks ago:

GvG is worse off than a horse with four broken legs about to take a bullet to the head.

*BLAM!*

We all know what the real long term problems with GvG are:

• A lack of mobile support in a game that has an overwhelming number of mobile players.
  • No use for guild goods above FE
  • No new maps above FE where the 8 highest ages are all dumped on one AA map
  • No incentive to play, even the benefits for the guild are irrelevant when guilds can be leveled through GbG and GE
  • Balancing features in GvG never worked right and some were outright removed
  • Emergent gameplay has lead to most GvG play happening within an hour or two of recalc
  • Only guild members trusted or higher have any freedom to act in GvG
  • New players can contribute almost nothing meaningful to GvG
  • The landing zones restrict gameplay and make it harder for guilds to establish themselves on a map
  • Powerful guilds can carve out areas on a map where they can safely farm the map with little risk
  • Army defenses are so low with current combat boosts as to be irrelevant
  • It's possible that Inno's current design team doesn't even understand how GvG works
That's just off the top of my head. These problems far outweigh the positive aspects of GvG.

Guild level benefits aren't really a big deal here. The only things that need to change or be removed are the support pool and prestige. The bonus FP, reduced unit recruitment time, and reduced building costs all still benefit the guild without GvG.

The Observatory will need to be tweaked since the support pool bonus will be irrelevant without GvG. And the tiny amount of guild goods it produces is almost meaningless when the Arc, Atomium, AI Core, and Hydra Gate all produce guild goods too. That's not counting the special buildings that produce guild goods as well.

People complain about how GbG does not have a recalc time like GvG. This is a net positive. There are plenty of players who don't do GvG because of the inconvenience of the 8 PM Eastern Time of recalc. For people who are not on the East Coast, recalc occurs earlier in the evening which cuts into supper, or commuting home from work or other such things. (For the record, I am in EST but am at least mindful of how the time zones affect people who live west of me.) And most action occurs at recalc. Once guilds are done with their nightly fights, there's not much else that can be done for the rest of the 24 hour period. If all the landing zones are locked down, that map is more or less done until the next recalc unless the guilds already on the map want to take available sectors later in the day. If you can't play at recalc and you aren't at least a trusted guild member, you can't do anything on the map, except maybe throw away spare units to refill defense armies. Some guilds have just never successfully adapted to GbG. Because provinces unlock every 4 hours a guild needs to remain more vigilant during the day. Reset is at midnight, but that's 8 PM for the West Coast so they have a bit of advantage there.

People who praise GvG probably are all trusted or higher guild members who actually get something out of GvG. It's meaningless for other players unless they like being drones.

People who say GbG has no strategy either doesn't play it or is no good at it. There is definitely strategy involved in choosing which provinces to take. And it's no more constantly replacing attack units than GvG is. GbG actually requires switching armies around in some ages unless your bonuses are sky high.

The biggest questions are exactly what raids are going to entail. They're going to need to replace GvG's gameplay while providing a game feature that's reasonably accessible to all guild members, balanced, and not subject to being dominated by the top 20 guilds on a world.

Angry.Blanket

I should have cooked up a big batch of popcorn before starting this thread.

It's a good thing I don't have a liquor cabinet. I'd have to lock it up tight to make it harder to do a drinking game over the usual complaints...FoE is dying, GvG was true socializing, GvG was the only good part of the game, GvG had the only strategy, GvG was the only true measure of skill, GbG sucks, bots, cheating, etc. Because by the time I got to the end of the thread a drinking game over GvG would have lead to liver failure.

It's like I said a few weeks ago:

*BLAM!*

We all know what the real long term problems with GvG are:

• A lack of mobile support in a game that has an overwhelming number of mobile players.
  • No use for guild goods above FE
  • No new maps above FE where the 8 highest ages are all dumped on one AA map
  • No incentive to play, even the benefits for the guild are irrelevant when guilds can be leveled through GbG and GE
  • Balancing features in GvG never worked right and some were outright removed
  • Emergent gameplay has lead to most GvG play happening within an hour or two of recalc
  • Only guild members trusted or higher have any freedom to act in GvG
  • New players can contribute almost nothing meaningful to GvG
  • The landing zones restrict gameplay and make it harder for guilds to establish themselves on a map
  • Powerful guilds can carve out areas on a map where they can safely farm the map with little risk
  • Army defenses are so low with current combat boosts as to be irrelevant
  • It's possible that Inno's current design team doesn't even understand how GvG works
That's just off the top of my head. These problems far outweigh the positive aspects of GvG.

Guild level benefits aren't really a big deal here. The only things that need to change or be removed are the support pool and prestige. The bonus FP, reduced unit recruitment time, and reduced building costs all still benefit the guild without GvG.

The Observatory will need to be tweaked since the support pool bonus will be irrelevant without GvG. And the tiny amount of guild goods it produces is almost meaningless when the Arc, Atomium, AI Core, and Hydra Gate all produce guild goods too. That's not counting the special buildings that produce guild goods as well.

People complain about how GbG does not have a recalc time like GvG. This is a net positive. There are plenty of players who don't do GvG because of the inconvenience of the 8 PM Eastern Time of recalc. For people who are not on the East Coast, recalc occurs earlier in the evening which cuts into supper, or commuting home from work or other such things. (For the record, I am in EST but am at least mindful of how the time zones affect people who live west of me.) And most action occurs at recalc. Once guilds are done with their nightly fights, there's not much else that can be done for the rest of the 24 hour period. If all the landing zones are locked down, that map is more or less done until the next recalc unless the guilds already on the map want to take available sectors later in the day. If you can't play at recalc and you aren't at least a trusted guild member, you can't do anything on the map, except maybe throw away spare units to refill defense armies. Some guilds have just never successfully adapted to GbG. Because provinces unlock every 4 hours a guild needs to remain more vigilant during the day. Reset is at midnight, but that's 8 PM for the West Coast so they have a bit of advantage there.

People who praise GvG probably are all trusted or higher guild members who actually get something out of GvG. It's meaningless for other players unless they like being drones.

People who say GbG has no strategy either doesn't play it or is no good at it. There is definitely strategy involved in choosing which provinces to take. And it's no more constantly replacing attack units than GvG is. GbG actually requires switching armies around in some ages unless your bonuses are sky high.

The biggest questions are exactly what raids are going to entail. They're going to need to replace GvG's gameplay while providing a game feature that's reasonably accessible to all guild members, balanced, and not subject to being dominated by the top 20 guilds on a world.
It takes between 15 and 20 minutes for me to burn all my att every day. Not much Strategy in that.

Orius Maximus

It takes between 15 and 20 minutes for me to burn all my att every day. Not much Strategy in that.

So? If you're not a guild leader it doesn't matter when you do your GbG fighting. I don't care if my guild members fight all at once or spread out during the day. I split up my fighting because I run the guild's strategy and so I can react to changes on the map during the day.

This of course is not significantly different than GvG. We all know everyone's done by 9. Please don't pretend you're fighting GvG past 10 PM. The only way you are doing that is if you are both trusted and higher, and your guild leaders, assuming you're not a founder, is okay with you spending guild goods during the day. And how much strategy is there in being a GvG drone throwing your armies were guild leaders point? Granted, there's not much difference in being a regular guild member in either GvG OR GbG. But as a guild leader, I have more to think about than fight till attrition in GbG.

Angry.Blanket

How much strategy is involved in being told to throw away a bunch of your troops by a guild leader? And you really need to work on your A/D if you can only fight for 15 minutes a day
Never had a guild leader tell me to throw away my troops. How much A/D do you think I need to be able to fight for more than 20 minutes?

Sharmon the Impaler

I was extremely disappointed to learn that gvg is being discontinued. I have been playing since 2015 only because it existed. If the new addition doesn't mimic the current gvg gameplay, I will be gone along with the considerable diamonds I buy. I foresee the same result from a lot of other gvg players. Battlegrounds sucks and especially the new version. One of the main reasons for people stopping playing gvg was due to the bugs which Inno refused to fix.
They didn't refuse to fix them , the GVG lead developer was the real deal but he died and Inno doesn't pay the salary that a top developer would demand to replace them with an equal calibre developer. Most of the development now is cosmetic tweaks and skins over an existing API.

Angry.Blanket

So? If you're not a guild leader it doesn't matter when you do your GbG fighting. I don't care if my guild members fight all at once or spread out during the day. I split up my fighting because I run the guild's strategy and so I can react to changes on the map during the day.

This of course is not significantly different than GvG. We all know everyone's done by 9. Please don't pretend you're fighting GvG past 10 PM. The only way you are doing that is if you are both trusted and higher, and your guild leaders, assuming you're not a founder, is okay with you spending guild goods during the day.
Like I said not much strategy in that, you handle it all. Everyone else just dumps there att on 1 or 2 tiles and be done for the day.

My initial reaction to the shutdown of GvG is that I will no longer be playing this game. However, since nothing has been explained about Guild Raids, I am willing to wait to at least find out if they will be worth staying for.

I don't want Raids to be like GBG. What I liked about GvG was that those of us who played it, did it for the fun. There were no personal rewards. GBG only benefits the greedy and the no lifers. Those of us with lives outside the game, and the newer players who tend to have to fight more slowly can only hope to get low attrition fights. Less fights means less chance of rewards. I feel like Raids shouldn't have personal rewards, perhaps just something for the entire guild. People who didn't contribute at all can be kicked to make it fair, but the greedy and no lifers should not get all the rewards at the expense of the rest of the members.
Another thing I don't like is the transfer of provinces in GBG. All you can do is sit there and watch it get taken (at whatever speed another guild decides to do it) and there is nothing that can be done about it, except take it back again later. That's just boring. At least in GvG, we could defend a sector from being taken, snatch one out from under the noses of another guild, release it either for goods or strategic purposes, and several other things.

What I would like to see for these Raids is something very similar to GVG, only perhaps at more hours of the day (although it is fun in fighting at off hours leaving the enemy a surprise when they log on before reset.) There should be no way to block landing zones, but strategic positioning of territory should be allowed, similar to some of the mountain ranges on the GvG map that allow for chokepoints and make territory easier to defend. A small guild with determined players should be able to hold their own against a bigger and less organised guild. Most of my favourite fights in GvG were when I went solo against some of the top guilds and got to watch them scramble around in a panic because they weren't organised enough to fight on multiple maps at once, and they forgot about the lower age maps. Raids should have a different map for each age like GVG does as well.

I would also like to see something that allows for proper alliances and enemies. That's a lot of the fun in GvG. Alliances in GBG just feel boring and somewhat pointless.

Basically, I just want something that makes me happy to log on and lets me actually enjoy myself, with strategy and tactics, and a bit of psychological warfare.

Orius Maximus

Like I said not much strategy in that, you handle it all. Everyone else just dumps there att on 1 or 2 tiles and be done for the day.

Like I said, not any different from GvG where guild leader decide where they want to spend their goods and handle everything while everyone else just dumps their units on whatever sectors for a half hour and are done for the day.

There's not a lot of meaningful difference between GvG and GbG except for the GvG junkies who don't like GbG and who don't want to adapt.

Douglas 221

Honestly I have a hard time following your logic here. That could be because I don't do GvG though. I also like the idea of not having to carry troops from so many ages/eras. With both GE and GBG I only have to carry previous and current ages. In PvP I just don't do the upper age so I can still only need units from 2 ages.
Those who do play GvG enjoy the added aspect of having fights with different troops. It does not matter about the storage of troops. Your game does not slow down because you have too many troops.
And for those who do not play any GvG and want to just delete their older troops.... Go for it. But my comment is listing part of why people DO like GvG and would preferred it stayed -or- the new feature include some type of use for those of us who do enjoy fighting with lower age troops against others with the same age troops.