• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the GvG shutdown and the Guild Raids

Angry.Blanket

Then that is why you are running out of attrition. You need to use strategy like you do in GvG and set up patterns with your allies.
All the tiles are the same att now what difference does it make which ones? I think you are referring to farming GbG which the new update was supposed to stop.

Angry.Blanket

I believe that having individual rewards in Guild Raids will attract more people. I am hoping it is an optional feature as was GvG so that guilds can choose to participate or decline participation. I can see a problem with having set times since members of a guild can be not only from different time zones, but from different continents. It would also seem wise for Inno to greatly restrict the amount of goods and/or diamonds that are needed for success since many people are dissatisfied with the cost of GBG participation. All in all, I am hoping that it is similar enough to GvG to satisfy the players who loved that part of the game.
If it has rewards I wont like it, the mind set of players that played for the enjoyment of playing vs players that are only in it for the rewards is one of the main things that made it good.

Douglas 221

I've always thought GvG was archaic and needed to go. I thought GbG was supposed to replace GvG back when GbG was released. I'm glad to see it gone. So many guilds 'require' an Observatory. Finally, that GB can be pretty much gone. I look forward to the change, Inno
I hope you realize the error in your ways. The need for an observatory has only gained with the new GBG. Do you understand the vast amount of goods it takes if you are swapping even half the map for the season? To build the SC buildings is costly. I actually enjoy the new changes to GBG and am playing it more but it is a GOODS needed element to the game. Before an Observatory was needed for support pool. Now it takes about 1600 goods per day per person to be competitive in GBG and open GE 5. Smaller guilds may not need as many of the GBs which donate but I can tell you a level 100 Arc and level 60 Obs simply do not pump out enough goods for a competitive guild to maintiain their treasury. I am lucky to be in a guild which recognized the need to gain treasury goods with GBs/other buildings instead of begging members to donate out of their own bank.
If you think the need for goods is gone and you can ignore the need for buildings like Observatory you probably have not had to maintain a treasury in a competitive guild.

xivarmy

All the tiles are the same att now what difference does it make which ones? I think you are referring to farming GbG which the new update was supposed to stop.
But not all the tiles are the same points. So rather than bleed yourself dry trying to hold everything, you can try to hold the most important things for as long as possible.

Of course if you are the strongest guild by a mile anyways, just taking everything probably works just fine.

Douglas 221

It seems unlikely that raids are going to be remotely similar to GvG. They appear to be a group-quest type feature from the strings we have in spoiler on beta.

GBG is more of the GvG replacement, where raids look like they'll be something more social than strategic.
And that will really be sad if they refuse to listen to the very people who are so passionate about GvG. The social aspect happens because it happens at a particular time and is not a lengthy time so we can be social on Discord or guild chat. GBG was simply a replacement for players who could NOT GvG. Raids should be something which gives something for players who actually DO enjoy GvG.

Coach Zuck

They didn't refuse to fix them , the GVG lead developer was the real deal but he died and Inno doesn't pay the salary that a top developer would demand to replace them with an equal calibre developer. Most of the development now is cosmetic tweaks and skins over an existing API.
Sounds to me more like he was a low grade developer with a good idea, who wrote spaghetti code that worked, didn't document it, didn't write unit tests, and didn't take steps to make his code easy to understand or extend for others. Many of these types, especially those involved early in a company, also subconsiously take steps to make themselves irreplaceable including sabotauging any attempt to get a proper team involved in the areas they coded.

Angry.Blanket

But not all the tiles are the same points. So rather than bleed yourself dry trying to hold everything, you can try to hold the most important things for as long as possible.

Of course if you are the strongest guild by a mile anyways, just taking everything probably works just fine.
I can burn my att faster on the centers tiles than any where else on the map. It is important to take at least as many tiles as the other guild so if they take them all we need to take them all.

xivarmy

Sounds to me more like he was a low grade developer with a good idea, who wrote spaghetti code that worked, didn't document it, didn't write unit tests, and didn't take steps to make his code easy to understand or extend for others. Many of these types, especially those involved early in a company, also subconsiously take steps to make themselves irreplaceable including sabotauging any attempt to get a proper team involved in the areas they coded.
It's possible to separate the idea of a game designer and a coder.

If the game was better under his direction, then he was a good game designer.

If the feature was too spaghetti-coded to be fixed, he may have been a poor coder.

But I believe a big part of the reason GvG wasn't maintained is because of challenges porting it to mobile specifically - which might be architecture related rather than code-maintenance related. And that since it was determined it wasn't going to mobile, it therefore wasn't worth much development time at all - and we got GBG instead designed with mobile in mind.

I do think some of the downfall of the game is just a fact of live service games in general - that they have to continue to evolve or they'll lose interest of the playerbase at large, and that what some people loved about them will naturally fall victim to that evolution.

It's convenient in FoE's case to say that everything good about the game was that original developer's vision, and everything wrong about it is the "new dev team" (which may in fact be multiple evolutions of what the dev team looks like). But in truth we have no idea what the game would look like with the original designer still alive.

xivarmy

I can burn my att faster on the centers tiles than any where else on the map. It is important to take at least as many tiles as the other guild so if they take them all we need to take them all.
But if you're on around the clock and some of the people burning the center sectors with you are not, you could leave some more of the fights to them and save some of your attrition for later in the day when you need to win a race with less help.

You also don't need to be ahead at every instant in time - just ahead at the end. So positional considerations could be more important than "having it all!" immediately - i.e. having timer-advantage is probably a bigger deal than instantaneous VP/hr as it can eventually lead to a much larger VP/hr edge.

GypsyWoman

Some are at 20% attrition, some at 40%, etc. depending upon the buildings on the owned sectors. You should probably be able to play a lot more than 20 minutes if you are hitting the sectors with 20% attrition. I am able to play for hours, just not the first day.

Orius Maximus

But if you're on around the clock and some of the people burning the center sectors with you are not, you could leave some more of the fights to them and save some of your attrition for later in the day when you need to win a race with less help.

You also don't need to be ahead at every instant in time - just ahead at the end. So positional considerations could be more important than "having it all!" immediately - i.e. having timer-advantage is probably a bigger deal than instantaneous VP/hr as it can eventually lead to a much larger VP/hr edge.

Like I said, this is why I split up my fights, so I can effectively fight more than once a day if needed.

But I guess we're forgetting how GbG has no strategy to it.

Johnny B. Goode

Every night at recalc, my guild meets up in a voice chat to play GVG together - and it's the best part of the game by far. Is this going to be replaced with some sort of daily reset in Guild Raids? If not, that removal of the guild collaboration will be the end of foe for me.
Meeting up in a voice chat is not part of the game. It is an external player construct. As such, it isn't the "best part of the game". It might be the best part of your game experience, but not everyone can, or wants to, use an external voice chat to play a computer game.
"the dead weight" it's the best part of the game, by far. What other feature of the game allows for guild collaboration like GVG does?
Ummm...GBG. Different from GvG, maybe, but still guild collaboration.
Actually it does not matter what time zone the player is located. We meet up on Server time. Recalculation happens daily at 8pm server time. Just like Reset happens nightly at midnight server time in GbG. The time zone of a player really has no effect on the vast majority of people who participate in GvG. We have people in Australia in our guild who log on, which for them is about 10am, to play. We have people in Europe which is 2am. We have people in the west coast which ends up being around 5pm. People rearrange their time to be there for it.
This is hogwash. It most certainly does matter what time zone you're in. In my time zone it is 7 PM at recalc, and I am not taking that time away from my family for a computer game.
All the top players played it. They make up a small fraction of all players, but certaintly a larger fraction of all active players.
Wrong. Certainly not a larger fraction of all active players. When Inno shared the figure of 5% participation in GvG years ago, it was 5% of all active players. Certainly much lower now, since at that time GvG was about all there was to do outside the main city.

The Lady Redneck

There are YouTube videos of Anwar Dalati
Game Mechanics and Mathematics for beginners
Driving Player Engagement and Core Monetization through in-game Events

Other stuff as well if you care to look at such a "low grade" guy
BTW him and his team actually played the game on the live servers not just Beta so could see any faults as they came up.

Johnny B. Goode

Actually, the real problem is that he was the one with the vision of where he wanted the game to go. Since his passing they've just been making it up as they went along. And we see how well that's worked out, now haven't we?

HABONDE

Then that is why you are running out of attrition. You need to use strategy like you do in GvG and set up patterns with your allies.
This is why peeps who don't do GVG don't get it. It takes the ability to strategize in GVG and also GBG. It's not just pushing a button to get more loot. It's about fighting for your guild against other guilds.

Over the last near 8 years playing this game, I've seen Inno make some real bonehead decisions but this one takes the proverbial cake. It's supposed to be a war game - hence the reason why GVG was created and is still played because some peeps here understand that if they want a casual mobile game there are plenty to be found where all they need to do is push a button to self satisfy. That was never the intent by the original creators. Now we see the intent of the new powers that are interested in nothing more than a quick money grab and utter disregard for their loyal long time players.

Last edited: