• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the GvG shutdown and the Guild Raids

Johnny B. Goode

It's supposed to be a war game
No, it's a city/empire building game. War is a part of it, but it's not the main thing. No matter how much you want to pretend it is. A true war game would not have auto battle as a viable option. (Although, to be fair, it's not really a city building game anymore, either. Not since they made most Build menu (regular) buildings irrelevant.)

This just gave me a great idea for a different city version.

Dancor01

GvG has been the best part of this game. Coming together in guild chat and/or discord once a day for a common goal. Friendships formed. Strategies honed. Teamwork at its best and it was time limited, maybe an hour a day. It was about the guild not about individual game play.
For many of us it is the same. No more GvG. Don't see the point of FoE existance

Flavius Belisarius

Maybe the Guild Raids will be tied to ERAS. Your guild can launch raids in different Eras/Ages using only those troops. This way all Eras/Ages would be involved. Maybe even limit the number of Raids a Guild could attempt or limit each Guild to only raiding an Era once per season/week/.
Guilds would then value players not rushing through the AGES to leap onto Jupiter Moons.

HABONDE

Sounds like I have little use for a Traz anymore if I'm not going to be dumping DAs into tiles.
Yes Fluffy, everything that peeps did for years to build and strengthen their cities has now been reduced to rubble by the greed of those who sit at the "high table" at what we shall call Inno. As long as you give them the only thing they want which is your money you'll be fine. Strategy is not needed nor wanted but if you're happy pushing a button while you're in line for your latte then it will be okay. The comments from those who call themselves players but couldn't take a burger out of a drive thru are what has helped this abomination of a decision limp along to it's inevitable destination to Port Avarice.

Flavius Belisarius

I should have cooked up a big batch of popcorn before starting this thread.

It's a good thing I don't have a liquor cabinet. I'd have to lock it up tight to make it harder to do a drinking game over the usual complaints...FoE is dying, GvG was true socializing, GvG was the only good part of the game, GvG had the only strategy, GvG was the only true measure of skill, GbG sucks, bots, cheating, etc. Because by the time I got to the end of the thread a drinking game over GvG would have lead to liver failure.

It's like I said a few weeks ago:

*BLAM!*

We all know what the real long term problems with GvG are:

• A lack of mobile support in a game that has an overwhelming number of mobile players.
  • No use for guild goods above FE
  • No new maps above FE where the 8 highest ages are all dumped on one AA map
  • No incentive to play, even the benefits for the guild are irrelevant when guilds can be leveled through GbG and GE
  • Balancing features in GvG never worked right and some were outright removed
  • Emergent gameplay has lead to most GvG play happening within an hour or two of recalc
  • Only guild members trusted or higher have any freedom to act in GvG
  • New players can contribute almost nothing meaningful to GvG
  • The landing zones restrict gameplay and make it harder for guilds to establish themselves on a map
  • Powerful guilds can carve out areas on a map where they can safely farm the map with little risk
  • Army defenses are so low with current combat boosts as to be irrelevant
  • It's possible that Inno's current design team doesn't even understand how GvG works
That's just off the top of my head. These problems far outweigh the positive aspects of GvG.

Guild level benefits aren't really a big deal here. The only things that need to change or be removed are the support pool and prestige. The bonus FP, reduced unit recruitment time, and reduced building costs all still benefit the guild without GvG.

The Observatory will need to be tweaked since the support pool bonus will be irrelevant without GvG. And the tiny amount of guild goods it produces is almost meaningless when the Arc, Atomium, AI Core, and Hydra Gate all produce guild goods too. That's not counting the special buildings that produce guild goods as well.

People complain about how GbG does not have a recalc time like GvG. This is a net positive. There are plenty of players who don't do GvG because of the inconvenience of the 8 PM Eastern Time of recalc. For people who are not on the East Coast, recalc occurs earlier in the evening which cuts into supper, or commuting home from work or other such things. (For the record, I am in EST but am at least mindful of how the time zones affect people who live west of me.) And most action occurs at recalc. Once guilds are done with their nightly fights, there's not much else that can be done for the rest of the 24 hour period. If all the landing zones are locked down, that map is more or less done until the next recalc unless the guilds already on the map want to take available sectors later in the day. If you can't play at recalc and you aren't at least a trusted guild member, you can't do anything on the map, except maybe throw away spare units to refill defense armies. Some guilds have just never successfully adapted to GbG. Because provinces unlock every 4 hours a guild needs to remain more vigilant during the day. Reset is at midnight, but that's 8 PM for the West Coast so they have a bit of advantage there.

People who praise GvG probably are all trusted or higher guild members who actually get something out of GvG. It's meaningless for other players unless they like being drones.

People who say GbG has no strategy either doesn't play it or is no good at it. There is definitely strategy involved in choosing which provinces to take. And it's no more constantly replacing attack units than GvG is. GbG actually requires switching armies around in some ages unless your bonuses are sky high.

The biggest questions are exactly what raids are going to entail. They're going to need to replace GvG's gameplay while providing a game feature that's reasonably accessible to all guild members, balanced, and not subject to being dominated by the top 20 guilds on a world.
As long as raids focus on:
1. Fighting NOT Farming (raids are limited actions to accomplish specific objectives then move on)
2. Fighting in all AGES (no cross age fighting like AA)
3. NOT Recal dependent
This could be fun.

superjaded

Let me guess, Guild Raids will be more mindless map watching and diamond spending for selfish players.. GVG at least has fun gameplay and Guild interaction with some strategy involved instead of placing numbers on a map to watch all hours of the day.. Guild raids will be more of the selfish ME first players gaining fights and rewards with very little strategical gameplay besides numbers with very little regard for "GUILDS" unless they keep SPENDING..

For such a "SMALL" percentage of players who play GVG i'm sure there will still be a ripple effect. After 10+ years of playing FOE and enjoying GVG since its release Thank you Inno for finally giving me a reason to find something more worth the time. Knowing it most likely wont be Guild Raids smh. Will probably be headed out myself like a lot of old players fed up with Inno's money first, mobile second, anything else hit the road mentality.

Be Chuille

As long as raids focus on:
1. Fighting NOT Farming (raids are limited actions to accomplish specific objectives then move on)
2. Fighting in all AGES (no cross age fighting like AA)
3. NOT Recal dependent
This could be fun.
From the teasers it sounds like Guild Raids will be quests, not actual battles. Other than battles that are part of the quests.

PJS299

Individual and guild rewards are the main reasons for participating in aspects of the game aside from simply building your city up.
That's exactly what we're talking about. GvG wasn't about individual rewards, it was about the guild. Groups of players **truly** devoted to helping the guild would get together and play. GBG, and features with rewards are just not the same.

DaiShan

The new Guild Raids is just another diamond grab. They do not like GvG because it doesn't generate diamond spend. I think they do not realize that a lot of their "big spenders" play GvG and this will turn a lot of those people away from the game.
I agree. I spend huge amounts, not in GVG, but building my city for GVG I've spend well over $15,000 in the past 10 years. recently I've averaged $600-$1000 per event with the good attack buildings.

Douglas 221

This is hogwash. It most certainly does matter what time zone you're in. In my time zone it is 7 PM at recalc, and I am not taking that time away from my family for a computer game.
You prioritize family time and that is great for you. Not everyone else does. I am in the same time zone as you and I have my family time before it and family knows its my game time and I am usually only on for 40 mins including 10 mins prior for planning. What do you do when Battlegrounds happens at 7pm? Not show up?