• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

feedback for Winter event 2023

Pericles the Lion

The probability, according to Inno's stated odds of getting 1, 2 or 3 fragments, is slightly over 10 complete Keys from the DC. Out of 100 chances, with the stated odds, you would get 165 fragments. Divided by 100 chances, that's 1.65 fragments per day. You'll get 31 chances at these fragments during the event (last day's DC usually doesn't have the fragments), meaning probability of just over 51 total fragments. Needing 5 fragments to complete a Key, that's only 10 Keys from the DC. To get 14 complete Keys, you would need 70 fragments, which would be an average of 2.258 per day. That's getting extremely lucky.
You may need a napkin to wipe the egg off of your face. Your analysis has a flaw. The Daily Challenge provides a chance for 1, 2 3, 4, or 5 parts.

1702309132305.png

The other thing about your strategy is that you have to totally ignore what the Daily Special is. Can't go after the Daily Special if the board doesn't have a Key, can you?
Playing to complete the Calendar on the cheap pretty much means ignoring the Daily Specials.

Last edited:

Sharmon the Impaler

You hit the nail on the head. I do not play a board unless a key was first displayed. If I hit the shuffle first I only continue if a key is displayed on the next board. Yes, collecting key parts for the DCs is very important (this is where approximately 14 keys will come from). I have not spent diamonds on keys (yet) or event currency (won't). I have only spent diamonds on Elve's workshop items.

I agree with you, luck plays a part in calendar success. However, skill at deciding which boards to play, and which to avoid, reduces a player's dependence on luck.
So luck plays only a "part" in it ? You either see the key before the scramble or you don't , your bar of something being a skill is so low that it's scraping the ground on this one.

Pericles the Lion

So luck plays only a "part" in it ? You either see the key before the scramble or you don't , your bar of something being a skill is so low that it's scraping the ground on this one.
You are the one whining about not being able to find keys yet you disparage the method that I use which is, so far, batting 1.000. You seem to get some sort of pleasure from complaining about the game and resent anyone that actually gets some enjoyment from it. Whatever became of you ignoring me? Poor impulse control? :rolleyes:

honey55

You hit the nail on the head. I do not play a board unless a key was first displayed. If I hit the shuffle first I only continue if a key is displayed on the next board. Yes, collecting key parts for the DCs is very important (this is where approximately 14 keys will come from). I have not spent diamonds on keys (yet) or event currency (won't). I have only spent diamonds on Elve's workshop items.

I agree with you, luck plays a part in calendar success. However, skill at deciding which boards to play, and which to avoid, reduces a player's dependence on luck.
I wish i had tried this approach as daily specials don't much interest me, but it's too late now. I haven't played any boards yet.

Too bad the way you write makes me not want to like anything you write, but i actually read of this technique early enough to try it, just didn't take time to decide to do it cause real life got busy.

CDmark

ok, in X, I started out, day 1, one present - one key and day 2 the same. then the shuffle screwed me 3 different days. Each day I played 2,3,2 boards with keys, lost them all, I was not happy. Here is the current state
keys x.JPG

So, I am 3 days short (ie 1500 D's), I don't use the DC partials until the end, lets me see how many actual keys I got from the mini game.

Now, counter this with G world which I didn't even notice right away

keys g.JPG

I am actually one day ahead (32/5 = 6 +2 partials, I have 5 missing) and I have 774 stars left.

Here is my strategy. I have 32 rabbits feet, one for each day. Before I open the event window, I rub the foot of the day 3 times (that's to have a key there). Then, when there is a key, I rub the foot 5 times so I don't get shuffle. I have been doing G world first so it is possible that the rabbits foot only works in one world. So, I went to the pet store, found a rabbit with 3 feet, asked him about my dilemma. He said "Have you ever heard of the word lucky?"...then he asked for his foot back, he knows a vet that may be able to reattach it. I gave him day 4 foot, didn't help me at all...lol

So, 2 ways to play this event
1) go for calendar, sacrifice daily specials, play only boards with keys and hope for the best...ie no shuffle
2) go for daily specials but you still have that shuffle to deal with, it is on every board. Ignore the calendar but you can still do DC's, collect keys and collect the days that have items you want on the calendar, wait until the end.

Both ways, you may require shuffle therapy.

Now, the following comment is just my view of the auto match, forget the 1-2 versus 1-3, just why it bothers me being done automatically. I used wait until the end of the event to light the houses. I was able to track it, was usually 1.95 to 2.05 when it was 1-3 and I could do it all at one time. Now it is much harder to track, in fact, I say forget it bcs I have to track the results after every present. I assume we get 1.5, not really sure. Plus, there is this delay which I don't like.

Dursland

Just picked up today's key for 2 stars cost.

2x > 14 stars x2 > key

Definitely a lucky day - even luckier than finding key in 1 or 2 moves lol.

9 out of 12 days open. 1/5 on fragments. Not too terrible. If I can keep this up I'll come out under that 8000 diamonds estimate.

Obviously the nerf in the matches is silly, but that's already been mentioned.
Though, I might have missed it if someone mentioned the fact that 3 of the new buildings are MAJOR negative happiness and population costs. How does that even make sense? I get that the Halloween buildings do that, they're supposed to be "scary" etc. Hence the negative happiness, but since when did the Christmas even cost happiness? Just think it is silly for the Nog shop to be -16,000 happiness just to build it.

Xenosaur

Hello. Is it possible to complete the calendar without spending diamonds? Or spending just a small amount? I have 10/10 doors opened until now, and I'm also set for the 11th.
doubtful you can get enough "prize" keys from the present matrix to open all 32. You can accumulate key fragments (the Daily Challenge is going to be a big help doing that each day), where 5 key fragments = 1 calendar key.
So quick math:

Accumulate all the full keys you can find/get, and also make as many "fragment" keys as you can, and let's say near the very end of the event, THAT total opens 20 doors for you.

You're left with 12 doors to open for the full calendar to be complete.

12 doors each will need 5 frags/door to make a key.

so... 12 x 5 = 60 frags to buy.

Each key frag costs 100 diamonds. You need 60.

60 x 100 = 6000 diamonds will make enough keys to complete the remaining calendar opens you need for the entire thing.

That's how you figure it.

Last edited:

Xenosaur

You hit the nail on the head. I do not play a board unless a key was first displayed.

Inno still has NOT fixed their mobile display - The START BUTTON completely covers 2 items in the prize display so well, you can't tell what they are.

So for MOBILE - it's impossible to know with perfect clarity if your board has a key, or not.

Very sad this isn't fixed.

Xenosaur

Obviously the nerf in the matches is silly, but that's already been mentioned.
Though, I might have missed it if someone mentioned the fact that 3 of the new buildings are MAJOR negative happiness and population costs. How does that even make sense? I get that the Halloween buildings do that, they're supposed to be "scary" etc. Hence the negative happiness, but since when did the Christmas even cost happiness? Just think it is silly for the Nog shop to be -16,000 happiness just to build it.

It's called "shaking the tree", or "shaking the foundation".... Life is good in the hood, and Inno doesn't want you complacent about anything - aids, happiness, population, etc...

All the thing you take for granted, and don't really ever worry about since they're at "steady state"

Yes -
They're trying to stir up the pot and make some "poor city mayors" worry about the CITY design, etc for all that it does and could do.

Give marginal cities, improperly designed, as people race up the era tree, something to worry about...

jaymoney23456

I have no key on my starting board for 5 days in a row now and I just noticed that Inno put 2 level ones with only 4 upgrades in between (board 1 and board 3). This is not the way to build a customer base , even the new people can see the sleeziness in that move.
I would not even make an attempt to go for the calendar reward this year unless you have something like 15-20k or more diamonds to spend. You are better off going for gold league imo. Also the elves prize list is pretty underwhelming given the amt of diamonds it cost. Giving only 30 fragments of the gold upgrade for last year's event building and a building that gives fragments for getting more of this year's event building in the elves prize line drastically reduces its appeal!

jaymoney23456

For once I won't say that your results are due to "bad luck". There is a strategy for completing the calendar with a minimum expenditure of diamonds. You are not using it. Below is my calendar through today. I've used no diamonds on keys and still have 753 stars in reserve.

View attachment 21080
There is no way you have not already spent diamonds unless you have gotten insanely lucky. Also, like others pointed out there is no strategy that you can use to improve your odds either. Either you are lucky in getting boards with the key on it and then getting the prize with the key or you are not. There is no strategy to it lol

jaymoney23456

I have received 2 keys grand total one on the first board and one on the second board. All the rest have been duds , how can you strategize that ?
You can't. Its not like the st patrick's day event for example where you can determine the ideal number of managers to hire or something like that. Getting keys depends on nothing besides blind dumb luck.

Zatrikon

This event would be greatly improved by removing the reshuffle "prize" and replacing it with an empty box.

Pericles the Lion

There is no way you have not already spent diamonds unless you have gotten insanely lucky. Also, like others pointed out there is no strategy that you can use to improve your odds either. Either you are lucky in getting boards with the key on it and then getting the prize with the key or you are not. There is no strategy to it lol
I must still be "insanely lucky". No diamonds spent on key parts or event currency. I'm playing the event in 2 of my cities.

1702462653375.png

1702462440239.png

LiciniusLucullus

15/15 doors opened, 0 Diamonds spent. Yet, I was incredibly lucky - three times the key popped up from the 1st opened present. At the same time, I always calculate when it's better to use the key fragments and when to switch boards.