• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Game Balance Issues - Newbs view.

67Sage101

I doubt this will budge developers since the end goal is diamond sales, but this is what makes me want to quit this game after researching up to the second tier in the Early Middle Ages. Actually, I changed the title to a newbs view . I can see why most of the commenters had a cow and I agree this was a rush to judgment in hindsight. But what it tells me is how off putting this game can be to a new player when they don't realize they stepped into a game with a timeline of years instead of months.

1. Housing payouts don't scale as much as the costs. I can gain 72/hour with a stone age hut, I only get 60/hr with a Middle Ages House. If's it a 2 story house it's 50/hr. The payouts should scale with #people and #age. Agreed coins are not a big deal later in the game though.
2. Production payouts don't scale. Iron Age goat farm produces 220/hr. A middle ages Tannery/Butcher - 160/hr. And the tannery costs more !
Smaller footprint...not worth the reductions. Acknowledged, the issue is production / square.
3. Forge Point payout should increase with #Age. Your game scales research from 10 FP, to 500FP in the late ages. You think I want to take a year playing this game through the space age? Ok. I see that seasoned players (4+years) have lots of ways to get FP. So this point is lost on seasoned players that know the tricks. But looks like a mountain to players in the iron age.
4. Forge points for trading: Stupid. The trade system takes a day to get what you need, it's underused and too costly. Still agree that trading should never require a forge point especially since trading is only vital to new players.
5. Insult to Injury: I unlocked MarketPlace that produces 430 happiness @ 3x3. Cost is $4165 and 15470 (lower than originally posted ?) Honestly still feels like a glitch considering it takes the most production of any building in EMA.

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

See ya. You rushed through the ages and ended up without resources. You should have slowed down and built up resources. This game isn't meant to be a rush game, it is meant to be played over time and patiently.

Your points #1 and #2 aren't exactly wrong, but definitely not right. The population is more than compensation for the coins (you shouldn't have to worry about coins past the Bronze Age). Also, the tannery is 3x3, and produces 160/hr. That's 17.8 supplies/hour/tile. The goat farm is 4x5 and produces 220/hr. That's 11 supplies/tile/hour. See your mistake?

#3: Once again, this is a patience game.

#4: Join a guild, trading is free and you can participate in GE, GvG (on PC), and GBG, as well as other perks.

#5: You don't have to build markets. And if you only have approx. 10k coins and 40k supplies when reaching EMA, you are doing something really wrong. Once again, you should have slowed down and built up resources instead of rushing through.

So, in conclusion, bye! Thanks for supporting the game and I hope that you learn patience somewhere in your life!

WinnerGR

From what you have said it sounds like you rushed the game . This game requires patience .
  1. They were designed not to be too scale and you should have no coin issues , coins can be acquired so easily
  2. Then build the Goat Farm , this happens in lots of ages , I have HMA alchemists in LMA.
  3. As you spend longer playing the game you get more FP producing buildings and until you have that then play with patience , login for 5 minuets a day to collect productions and FPs .Also if you are stuggling with the tech tree then stop doing it until you have more PFs even if a quest w
  4. I dislike it but join a good guild and it does not matter
  5. Your choice and seeing as the majority of players do not find these an issue the devs will not lisson
In the end it was your choice to leave the game so bye .

( @UBERhelp1 beet me too it )

DeletedUser

1. Housing payouts don't scale as much as the costs. I can gain 72/hour with a stone age hut, I only get 60/hr with a Middle Ages House. If's it a 2 story house it's 50/hr. Stupid. The payouts should scale with #people and #age.
Yeah, but to get the 72/hour, you need to sit on your city 24 hours a day. With the later housing you only have to check in every 4, 8 or 24 hours. And by the time you get to the middle ages, you should have the St Mark's GB, which you won't have in Stone Age. (That's the one with the coin production boost.)
2. Production payouts don't scale. Iron Age goat farm produces 220/hr. A middle ages Tannery/Butcher - 160/hr. And the tannery costs more !!!! WTF ? Smaller footprint...not worth the massive reductions.
Do the math. Goat Farm produces 11 supplies/tile. Tannery produces over 17 supplies/tile. And the Shoemaker, which is the same size/age as the Tannery produces over 20 supplies/tile. (And a Tannery is not the same age or size as a Butcher.)
3. Forge Point payout should increase with #Age. You think I'm going to sit around waiting for research times. Your game scales research from 10 FP, to 500FP in the late ages. You think I want to take a year playing this game through the space age? Think again.
If you don't want to measure your time in this game in years instead of weeks/months, then this is not the game for you. I have been playing it for over 5 years, and there are still players who started with the game 8 years ago. Racing through it prevents you from enjoying the depth and richness of the game.
4. Forge points for trading: Stupid. The trade system takes a day to get what you need, it's underused and too costly.
Once you learn the benefits of getting your goods from GBs, event buildings and Recurring Quests, you will realize that trading is an option and not a necessity anymore, like it was when I started.
5. The breaking point. I unlocked MarketPlace. You want $4655 and 17290 production to gain 430 happiness. Forget it, that's half of all my saved production. I see where this is going. I quit.
As @UBERhelp1 said, you rushed the game. You should be measuring your coins and supplies in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, by the time you reach the Middle Ages.

Bottom line is that you are in a hurry to "win" this game and move on to the next one, and this is not a game where that mindset will be successful. It is not a "do it and be done" type of game.

ExtraMile

I completely understand your dilemma, and if you want to quit the game that is your business. But before you walk away, I would consider why you feel the way you do about it.

You see, all of the problems you are encountering are not because of game flaws, simply your own lack of game understanding and patience (which is completely normal for a new player). If you make the necessary corrections to your gameplay, then many of these problems will cease to exist, and you will learn to deal properly with the ones that are inevitable.

But it takes work. It takes patience. It takes time. Time reading forum guides, watching YouTube videos, asking more experienced players for advice, and most importantly playing the game to gain experience and figure things out for yourself. If this is not something you are interested in doing, then yes, you are correct that this game isn’t for you (and reading the rest of my post will offer no benefit to you).

————————————————

Still here? Good, let’s get started.

1. Housing payouts don't scale as much as the costs. I can gain 72/hour with a stone age hut, I only get 60/hr with a Middle Ages House. If's it a 2 story house it's 50/hr. Stupid. The payouts should scale with #people and #age.
Here’s the thing. Huts are good for getting coins if you can babysit them all day, but if you only log in a few times per day they will make you significantly less coins than houses with longer production timers. Also houses in higher ages give significantly more population on the same amount of space which is worth MUCH more than a few coins anyway. You should only build the house that gives the most population per tile in an era. If you aid your friends, guildmates, and neighbors, coins shouldn’t be a problem for you unless you are racing through the tech tree.

Which leads me to my next point. Don’t race through the tech tree. Stay in each era a bit longer and spend some FPs on your GBs. If you are always researching you will quickly run out of resources and become stuck because you are always replacing buildings in your city, and spending goods/coins/supplies to unlock technology. If you stay in an era for awhile you will accumulate enough resources to easily move forward, and at the same time, make yourself stronger by leveling your GBs.

2. Production payouts don't scale. Iron Age goat farm produces 220/hr. A middle ages Tannery/Butcher - 160/hr. And the tannery costs more !!!! WTF ? Smaller footprint...not worth the massive reductions.
Not massive reductions. You are failing to actually look at the efficiency of each building.

The tannery is actually more efficient than the goat farm in supplies produced per square.

3. Forge Point payout should increase with #Age. You think I'm going to sit around waiting for research times. Your game scales research from 10 FP, to 500FP in the late ages. You think I want to take a year playing this game through the space age? Think again.
If you play the events, you will get event buildings that produce FP. Also GE, GBG, and cultural settlements offer FP producing buildings as rewards. So yes, your FP income will scale over time. But also you need to have patience. It will take time to achieve your goals in this game. If you don’t have a scrap of patience, this game probably isn’t for you.

4. Forge points for trading: Stupid. The trade system takes a day to get what you need, it's underused and too costly.
Join a guild. An active one with plenty of players to trade with. Trading within the guild doesn’t cost any FP. This is one of the many reasons why being in a good guild is extremely important.

Also don’t accept offers in the market, put them up yourself. Then you don’t have to pay FP. Especially in the lower ages, there will always be people who are willing to accept some of your trades, even if they have to pay FP.

5. The breaking point. I unlocked MarketPlace. You want $4655 and 17290 production to gain 430 happiness. Forget it, that's half of all my saved production. I see where this is going. I quit.
You don’t have to build it if you don’t want to. Besides, this is exactly why racing through the tech tree is detrimental. Spend some time stocking up on resources so the transition to the next era is seamless.

————————————————

Ok, if you read all of that, I hope it helped you at least a little bit to understand the game better. But if you want to continue to grow your knowledge, you will need to do the rest yourself. Read a few forum guides, watch a few YouTube videos, and never be afraid to ask for advice. This game is a learning journey that is never finished for even the most experienced players and there is always something new to learn, some area of the game to get better at.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

Algona

You think I want to take a year playing this game through the space age?

Seems completely reasonable to me. Why waste time on a style of game they don't like? The OP isn't a long term strategy game game player.

3 days into the game they evaluated the game and quit leaving a post for the devs. Fairenough.

Seems obvious this person saw one of those build a city in 30 seconds commercials and thought they could do the same.
Mrs. 'Gona keeps asking, "Where are the Flintstones from the TV commercials?"

I'm surprised we don't see more of this sort of post.

The Lady Redneck

I'm surprised we don't see more of this sort of post.
I think we are seeing just that. 67Sage is just more up front about it all. All the "Why do we not have auto this and auto that" And all the endless proposals to make this easier, or that quicker. It is all from players who want the game handed to them on a plate. They want a "Wham, Bam, thank you INNO" game. One they can get to the end as quick as they can then move on to the next new fad. The idea of actually taking your time to learn, explore, reason, and grow, is beyond comprehension for some For others it takes time for some to come to terms with. Throw in that fact that there will never be an end to the game so no big finale. Is just to much to take in.

Agent327

First and last post. I doubt this will budge developers since the end goal is diamond sales, but this is what makes me quit this game after researching up to the second tier in the Early Middle Ages. (And yes I did invest a modest amount in a few diamond packages).

Amazing! Made it to EMA and still totally clueless!

That is no reason to quit. You should apply yourself to writing guides and proposals. You would not be the first.

Lankybrit

All your issues are stupid OP. Why not complain about Diamonds or something? Do you really have a problem with getting coins and supplies? Special event buildings and GBs are your friends. This is a great game and lots of fun.

qaccy

I guess I'm gonna be the one person who thinks there isn't really anything wrong with running out of coins or supplies. Means it's being used, right? As opposed to having a stockpile large enough to build an entire city for every other player on the server...having stuff just for the sake of having it isn't really that helpful either. Coins and supplies exist to be spent, and if you're not spending them then you aren't really being very efficient either.

Emberguard

I guess I'm gonna be the one person who thinks there isn't really anything wrong with running out of coins or supplies. Means it's being used, right?
Agreed providing the reason is that you’re using all your resources and not that you aren’t producing resources / really inefficient city for the playstyle

@OP buildings do scale up with age. The output increases as you replace with current age buildings. But some buildings are more efficient within each age. You have a choice to make. There’s a trade off for each building.

Smaller buildings tend to give smaller amounts but you can put more buildings in the space which can result in a larger overall output. On the other hand larger buildings don’t need as many motivations (doubles output) to maximise on output

FP wise, you’re meant to work on building up your FP income. Great Buildings, events, quests, GBG etc all give FPs. By the time you get to 500+ FPs per tech you could be producing double that per day depending on how you approach the game

Iroh the Tea Maker

First and last post. I doubt this will budge developers since the end goal is diamond sales, but this is what makes me quit this game after researching up to the second tier in the Early Middle Ages. (And yes I did invest a modest amount in a few diamond packages).

Which middle age house? The first house in an age is worse than the last house in previous age (clapboard house eg. i better than HMA houses). Be smart.

Goat Farm occupies more space? It's huge.

Fair point.

This is likely to prevent abuse and overtrading. But I agree. A % tax on goods would be more appropriate and smart here. But it's too late for that suggestion.

Something isn't right here. I started in Jan and currently in HMA. I produce about 137K coins and 60K supplies in a day. I am not even that smart of a player. So that's not expensive at all.

Also, don't build the market place.

Game has it flaws but come on, it's fun. Camp out in iron age, finish GE and join a fun guild. Not the ones that sound like a workplace, but the fun ones.

DevaCat

Rage-quit posts are fun, aren't they?

As @Algona pointed out, it's a wonder that there aren't more of them. The Flintstones-to-Jetsons tv ads promote the notion that all you have to do is swap a bag of stuff to some trader for blueprints or a tool and shazaam you can quickly level up. Never mind that the game doesn't work that way. Never mind that there is absolutely no mention about pvp in any of the ads.

No wonder that so many people race their tech, cmap, and ages and hit a wall. No wonder so many people, thinking they are playing a straightforward city-builder, get disabused of that notion by stronger cities' attacks and plundering, and get upset. The game itself is not much help with how to play -- you can try trial and error, or you can try the Forum. People want to learn how to play, or how to play better, and you can see that in the fact that at most times for every Forum member on there are at least ten guests present.

Looks like the OP is wise to leave a game that doesn't suit him. It's too bad that his first and last post was a judgmental complaint instead of a question or a request for help. But he did inadvertently do a service by raising a series of points that helpful members could address and in the process help others up their games.

So if you are just visiting, join and ask some questions!

WinnerGR

This is not really directed at anyone in particular thought is kind of in response to the post above.

The reason the FOE is not the #1 game on earth is because fast games are more popular.

Though the people responding in this thread like this journa of game and that is why we play it.

If you like a fast game then it is wise to quit now or :

Give the game a chance to see if you’ll enjoy a different kind of game.

Last edited:

DeletedUser27301

1. The housing output does increase over time. IMHO my favourite way of dealing with housing was to build the 24 hour ones and collect double when someone motivates it. Having Saint Mark's Basilica also helps. Have been playing for four years, my SMB is only level 5 or 6, plenty of coins. Now I have no need for houses because of event buildings that provide coin and population.

2. The smaller footprint is absolutely worth it on production buildings, especially if you're doing rotating quests.

3. It does increase with age, but you have to work for it, the game isn't going to hand it to you. Build FP generating GBs and level them up, collect event buildings, work on your attack or goods buildings and participate in GE and GBG, plunder your neighbors FP buildings. My city generates about 270 FP a day and I get anywhere from an extra 100-200 FP a day from doing other things in game like GE, GBG, and plundering.

4. Join a guild with lots of members that are on or near your era. Trading is free that way. I dunno, I rarely have to buy FP to trade and when I do it's a drop in the bucket (and my FP cost me about 300K coins now)

5. If you want to quit that's up to you, but this game really does require a lot of patience. Building GBs and leveling them up means you'll focus less on other parts of your city, but while that's happening, you'll notice your in-game wealth growing. If you do continue to play, considering joining a guild that is friendly to new or inexperienced players, you might find the game much more enjoyable after that. Good luck.

qaccy

Overtime there becomes no need for housing ( I am in LMA and have no housing ).

They already mentioned that in their post, in the part you stopped short of fully quoting.

Now I have no need for houses because of event buildings that provide coin and population.

Besides, event buildings are still basically houses since they're providing population and coins, which is almost the entire reason players build residential buildings in the first place. Beyond that, they have a use for building them to complete quests, something event buildings can't do as event buildings don't truly count as residential buildings.

DeletedUser

Besides, event buildings are still basically houses since they're providing population and coins, which is almost the entire reason players build residential buildings in the first place. Beyond that, they have a use for building them to complete quests, something event buildings can't do as event buildings don't truly count as residential buildings.
Actually, the vast majority of event buildings are classified as one of these types of buildings:
Residential, Production, Cultural, Decoration, Military Building.
The rest are either:
Random-Producing buildings, such as the Wishing Wells
Towers, such as the Ritual Flames
Power-Producing Buildings: Halls of Fame.

I basically knew this, but never thought about it in relation to quests requiring you to build a certain type of building. So after I read this post of yours, I went to one of my cities that currently was on an event quest to build 2 Residential Buildings from my current age. I had one Shrine of Knowledge, which is classified as a Residential building, and placed it in my city. Lo and behold, it counted as one of the required residential buildings for the quest! So I guess I should thank you for being wrong about this, as it has made me aware of another use for unwanted event buildings other than selling them to the Antiques Dealer. :)