• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Great Building Contest Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

An idea could be the "Tower of Victory and Peace" from Ottawa, Canada -- or any other clock tower. The purpose is that one of the bonuses works in conjunction with other GBs. Effectively it lessens the amount of time needed for a GB reward. Instead of 24 hours it cuts it down by percentage or straight hours as it levels up. Instead of 24 hours before a GB resets it only takes 23, then 22, and so on.

DeletedUser

Moonshine Still

- - - Updated - - -

Moonshine Still

- - - Updated - - -

Mayo Clininc

- - - Updated - - -

New YorK post Building

- - - Updated - - -

Boldt Castle

DeletedUser1714

[h=1]Twin Cities Assembly Plant[/h]
In 1912 the first assembly and sales activities were started in a former warehouse in Minneapolis by Ford Motor Company. Nowadays Twin Cities Assembly Plant is located next to the Mississippi River in the Highland Park neighborhood of St. Paul, Minnesota, United States. It was in operation from 1925 to 2011. At the time of its closure it was the oldest Ford plant still in operation. ( my first thought though was Spindletop, the largest oil gusher of all time , that lead to the oil boom of texas and the oil industries founded from the oilfields of the area, but it has already been suggested)

DeletedUser4281

I think it would be great if for one of new GB's would be a nice port (suggestion: on this water near the city, since there is also a ship for explore the new continent map).

My nomination is: San Francisco Ferry Building (was completed in 1898)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/San_Francisco_Ferry_Building.jpg

Size: 4x7
Effect could be: 1) unlocking trade with ppl from the friendlist (starting from GB's Lvl 5.)
2) and posibility of producing 500 supplies/hour (like it's supply-production building but there is just option 500 supplies/h) - productivity should be increased by 500 reaching evry next level

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4663

Hearst Castle - the architecture is a classical bridge to the progressive art collection and cultural opening of the US West Coast (enabling the progressiveness of Hollywood).

DeletedUser3818

"Grand Central Station" Terminal in New York City

The Grand Central Terminal building in New York was built in 1913. It was built with marble, a domed ceiling and included 2500 stars. Not only is it a beautiful building, but as a train station it embodies the progression of transportation and mobility.

DeletedUser4667

I think the idea of a library is awesome. An educated populous as a means to the advancement of a civilization is without question. In that light, I nominate the The Richard Riordan Central Library, Los Angeles, California USA. http://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/lapubliclibrary.jpg A good tie-in to the game play could be that one of the benefits of the building would be increased forge points to allow for a greater ability to research new technologies.

From Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Public_Library:

The historic Central Library Goodhue Building was constructed in 1926 and is a downtown Los Angeles landmark. The Richard Riordan Central Library complex is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of book and periodical holdings. Originally named the Central Library, the building was first renamed in honor of the longtime president of the Board of Library Commissioners and President of the University of Southern California, Rufus B. von Kleinsmid. The new wing of Central Library, completed in 1993, was named in honor of former mayor Tom Bradley. The complex (i.e., the original Goodhue building and the Bradley wing) was subsequently renamed in 2001 for former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan, as the Richard Riordan Central Library.

Architect Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue designed the original Los Angeles Central Library with influences of ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean Revival architecture. The central tower is topped with a tiled mosaic pyramid with suns on the sides with a hand holding a torch representing the "Light of Learning" at the apex. Other elements include sphinxes, snakes and celestial mosaics. It has sculptural elements by the preeminent American architectural sculptor Lee Lawrie, similar to the Nebraska State Capitol in Lincoln, Nebraska, also designed by Goodhue. The building is a designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

DeletedUser3694

The Flat Iron Building opened 1902

DeletedUser4669

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]The Fillmore Auditorium, CA 1911.
Shakespeare and Company bookstore, PAR 1919. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
Fox Theatre, CHI 1928.

DeletedUser4670

I would like to nominate Carnegie Hall for one of the great buildings

DeletedUser

Although not completed and operational until 1932, the crowning achievement of this era was the foundation in theoretical physics laid from 1900 to 1930 and the physical structure built in the late 1920s for the first Cyclotron. That is my suggestion for the Progressive Era's Great Building.

DeletedUser3422

Airship (Zeppelin) Hanger.
At the time most people believed airships to be the future of travel, even after the Wright Brothers historic flight. Airships embodied the progressive era! Many countries built airship hangers and many are still standing today, having one building represent many countries embodies the progressive era. If I have to choose one building it would be Hanger One at Lakehurst Naval Air station (where the Hindenburg burned), “The largest “single room” in the world” according to National Geographic 1/1925. Hanger One was completed in 1921 and is still in use today.

Status
Not open for further replies.