• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Great Building Contest Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3812

The empire state building, finish in 1931 but start before 1930, still in shape

DeletedUser

Masonic Temple and Scottish Rite Cathedral
The Scranton Cultural Center at the Masonic Temple (formerly the Masonic Temple and Scottish Rite Cathedral) is a theatre and cultural center in Scranton, Pennsylvania. The Cultural Center's mission statement is "to rejuvenate a national architectural structure as a regional center for arts, education and community activities appealing to all ages."[SUP][2][/SUP] The Cultural Center hosts off Broadway performances, music and stand-up comedy performances and special events including weddings and proms. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[SUP][3]
[/SUP]
[h=2]History[/h]Architect Raymond Hood designed the Masonic Temple, which houses the cultural center.[SUP][4][/SUP] The Masonic Temple is designed in a combination of Gothic Revival architecture and Romanesque RevivalRichardsonian Romanesque.[SUP][3][/SUP] The building was completed in 1930. The temple has a dual nature; it houses the Scottish Rite Cathedral and a masonic lodge. In fact, the design of the building is a tribute to masonry.
The Masonic Temple houses The Harry and Jeannette Weinberg Theatre with 1,866 seats, The Governor Robert P. Casey Library, a "Ladies Parlor" and a Grand Ballroom which can hold 2,700 for standup performances, Shopland Hall, a 600 seat theatre located on the 4th floor, Craftsmen Hall on the 3rd Floor as well as Snyder and Gazda Hall, serving as Lodge room for the Masonic Fraternity. Most of the facility is open for public usage and rental through the year. Visitors to Scranton can visit the Temple and take a tour that highlights the architecture of the building as well as its present day uses.
[h=2]Description[/h]Construction of the Masonic Temple and Scottish Rite Cathedral was begun in 1927. The building took three short years to finish. The Temple was inaugurated on January 2, 1930 when the first meeting was held in the building. The rectangular plan building is clad in coursed ashlars of Indiana limestone supported by the structural steel framework. At approximately 180,000 square feet (17,000 m[SUP]2[/SUP]), the building houses two theatres, meeting rooms, a grand ballroom, as well as numerous other rooms and areas. There are ten levels of the building, only five of which can be accessed by elevator. The remaining five levels include two storage floors about the fourth floor, a small light room at the very top of the building that measures approximately fifteen feet in diameter and can only be reached by a ladder connecting to the room, and the sub-basement which goes down two levels or sixty feet below the basement floor.
[h=2][edit]Masonic Symbols[/h]Masonry symbols can be found throughout the Masonic Temple and Scottish Rite Cathedral, although it may not be apparent to those unfamiliar with Masonry. Shopland Hall, the small theater on the fourth floor, contains many Masonic symbols. An image of the Crusade is depicted above the stage, as well as shields motifs. These are important symbols to the Masonic Fraternity. Also two-headed eagles are depicted on the ceiling of the theater. Supposedly Frederick of Prussia introduced the symbol of the two headed eagle when the Scottish Rite was in its formative stages. The Robert P. Casey Library features the quintessential symbol of the Freemasons, a shovel, a pick, and a crowbar, in a glass case. Not only are these three items symbols of Masonry, but they were also the ground breaking tools used during the construction of the Masonic Temple. Also in the Casey Library is a grandfather clock that features many Masonic Symbols carved into the wood, including the shovel, pick, and crowbar motif, as well as the symbol of the square and the compass with the letter “G” in the center.
I thank the bonus boosts it gives should be, at (level 10) are 50% faster increase speed on healing unit's.
A 25% attack bonus on defending unit for your definding army.
And produce 1 diamond a day, only at level 10.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...iewed_from_the_Indiana_War_Memorial_Plaza.jpg
41484_1282107880_5338_n1.jpg

http://rschieff.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dsc02325.jpg
1202032051251efrc-5101_hdr_ballroom-crop.jpg

masonic-hall.jpg

cathedr.jpg

Scottish-Rite-Cathedral-downtown-Indianapolis-Indiana.jpg

scottish-rite-side-te.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4678

The Palais des Nations (English: Palace of Nations) in Geneva, Switzerland, was built between 1929 and 1936 to serve as the headquarters of the League of Nations. It has served as the home of the United Nations Office at Geneva since 1946 when the Secretary General of the UN signed a Headquarters Agreement with the Swiss authorities.Almost certain the largest civilian building in the world is the Romanian Parliament (The Peoples Palace), the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon. Therefore The Palace of Nations must be the third largest.Home of the League of Nations.

DeletedUser

My suggestion is Eiffel Tower. It was built in 1889 and held record for tallest building (tower) from 1889 to 1930.

DeletedUser4701

apple.co because it made the world what it is today with computers, technology and if it weren't for apple.co we would not be playing or suggesting things on this game and forum.
and
atari because it got the technology at home started and inspired steve jobs to try and make computers

DeletedUser

Efficiency Bureau
Many cities set up bureaus commonly called "efficiency bureaus" to identify problems in government and employee performance. This is the landmark of the "Progressive Era"

DeletedUser

I would like to suggest the commadaties exchange built in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

DeletedUser4712

The Brooklyn Bridge

The Brooklyn Bridge- The Brooklyn Bridge ranks as one of the greatest engineering feats of the 19th century and remains one of New York's most popular and well known landmarks. It was completed in 1883. The Brooklyn Bridge was the world's largest suspension bridge in it's era. :p

DeletedUser4717

How about Neuschwanstein. The castle that crazy Ludwig built and Disney copied. It looks of middle ages, but was built with modern tech, including its own power generation plant for electricity. Now I know I did not spell the castle correctly, but give me a break, I'm american not german.

DeletedUser4719

The stock market, or more specifically the new york stock exchange. This had a significant impact in the us, both positive and negative. And eventually the entire world, as it attracted many foreign investors. Though it began in 1792, it saw the greatest improvement and popularity during the industrial revolution.

((CM note: although the previous building was erected in 1833, the present building was posed in 1903, so this is a valid entry))

DeletedUser3855

I would like to suggest the St. Leopold am Steinhof of Vienna, Austria. Built around 1906.

DeletedUser1406

We have the Traveling Circus (although mine doesn't seem to ever leave), why not give tribute to Coney Island, well known as the home for some of the most famous early amusement parks...
http://www.pdxhistory.com/html/coney_island.html
I would take at least a 6x6 footprint on the game, but think of the happiness it provided all these years...which could, and should, be reflected in the game.

DeletedUser2239

I would like to suggest The Masonic Temple it was built by the Freemasons of Chicago in 1892 it consisted of 302 foot 92 m tall skyscraper had 19 stories holding shops and also containing the Masons' private suites and meeting halls with a new ability to hold up to 1300 people in there meeting halls at the top there was a roof garden and observation gallery and at the time was declared the tallest commercial building in the world built during the birth of sky scrappers

DeletedUser2393

booooo bubba77 stole my idea yesterday! :p Disney World!!! or the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany that it was based off of. It should provide unlimited happiness! ... I would like to see this building provide happiness and happiness only, there for making it the first reasonable great building to be built for happiness. The other happiness buildings are a rip off, the Disney world castle should be provide more happiness then any other building of its time even polished. At a reasonably low level, so it doesn't cost 1,200 forge points just to get it to match another 150k coin building. If more then happiness is required, I suggest defense, diamond generation, or a 8 hour protection mode, where when you activate it your city can't be attacked for 8hours out of the day ;)Here is a link of the original http://www.citypictures.net/data/media/256/Neuschwanstein_Castle_Bavaria_Germany_-_forest_snow.jpg here are links of Disney world... http://cbsmiami.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/disneyworldcastle.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lgn3snVl4...orld-Castle-Partners-Statue-DisneySisters.jpg http://facepaint.net.au/wp-includes/Text/disney-world-castle-wallpaper-i19.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.