• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How long until Cape Canaveral pays for itself?

DeletedUser25795

Cape can be hard to make pay for it self unless playing for another year or two or have a handful of ARC friends. I suggest making sure you have a handful of ARC friends first before you try to level it high. Personally I didn't build this because I worked out how long it would take to pay for itself by looking at a handful of others players with one and saw on average how much they put in it themselves. I instead went down the route of GB's that give FP's and another stat. Like Kraken, Arctic Orangery, Innovation Tower etc. For its footprint yes it is small but I have many SoK's so space wasn't the issue with my choice of FP producing GB's

*Arturis*

If you look it this way it is worth the space and effort to level it up. Say you have a level 100 Cape, that will give you 100fp/day, now compared that with 100 sok that give the same number of fps daily and the space required to have them in your city plus the roads required, just that a level 100 cape doesn't give you the coins 100 sok do, but who need coins when you have CF at high level.

DeletedUser26154

level 100 Cape

True, it's a space saver.
I tried to add up how many Forge Points are needed to get the Cape to level 100.
I stopped at level 30 and it takes over 27 Thousand Forge Points just to get it to 30.
So they have to realize it will take over One Hundred Thousand Forge Points to level that Cape to 100.

3457138-9935925942-24722.jpg

Will they be in the game that long, to invest in one Great Building, for just Forge Points in return?

DeletedUser26120

Ask yourself "how long have I been playing this game?"

Then. with the first answer in mind, ask yourself "How much longer am I going to be playing this game?"

With that answer, do the calculations and see if cape will benefit you by the time you stop playing or not.

It's that simple. I knew for sure I would be playing V world at least one more year so I got cape and leveled it up to 10. I'm sure it won't be long before it pays for itself, and in some ways it already has since I put those fps on via swaps and got a ton back.

qaccy

@Konrad the mediocre and @Dursland have the right idea. Since the Cape produces ONLY FP, it gets scrutinized like no other GB does in terms of whether it's 'worth' it. It doesn't really matter if you level it via swaps, or even free donations - that still means you're putting FP into something like a 'bank' instead of another GB with a more immediate effect. If you put 1000 FP into a Cape, you have to look at how many collections of that Cape it will take for you to gain that 1000 FP back for it to start profiting you instead of levelling up another GB instead.

A level 80 Cape, which is more or less a 'goal' level for a lot of high-level players (because that's where they tend to stop their Arc, at least for a time), costs a total of 171,468 FP. The takes roughly 2,144 days to pay itself off. Hint: The time to pay back only gets larger with each level you add to this GB.

That being said, the Cape (along with the other FP-producing GBs) does have value in providing more instant FP for you to use from the bar, which can allow you to make larger swaps without using packs. This has no bearing on the 'pay for itself' answer, though.

DeletedUser

That being said, the Cape (along with the other FP-producing GBs) does have value in providing more instant FP for you to use from the bar, which can allow you to make larger swaps without using packs. This has no bearing on the 'pay for itself' answer, though.
Sure it has bearing. Just like using swaps/GB clubs to level it up does. The reason is that each method has the potential to put FPs/Medals/BPs back into your inventory. If you're honestly calculating whether it pays for itself, you have to figure in the net cost, including rewards you get from swaps, and rewards you get when you use the FPs that the Cape provides.

DeletedUser13838

True, it's a space saver.
I tried to add up how many Forge Points are needed to get the Cape to level 100.
I stopped at level 30 and it takes over 27 Thousand Forge Points just to get it to 30.
So they have to realize it will take over One Hundred Thousand Forge Points to level that Cape to 100.
You're ignoring the fact that GBs provide fp rewards which at higher levels can exceed 40% of the donations. WIth just 80% arcs that reduces the amount of fp you need by around 70%.

DeletedUser31595

I wish I had read all these before building it. And I built it just yesterday. ☹️

DeletedUser31592

I wish I had read all these before building it. And I built it just yesterday. ☹️

Don't let some opinions sway you. It all depends on playing style. I have one at level 6.

I let other people contribute or I put rewards on it (not packs, but the ones that go straight to the bar). When I get a GE relic that pays out 20 or more FPs, I typically stick them on my Cape (unless I'm really working on something else at the moment.) I look at those as free/bonus FPs. If I can turn those bonus FPs into something that pays me FPs consistently, it is a win.

DeletedUser26154

You're in OF. Why don't you have it?

Because to me, I can invest my Forge Points into something that gives back better than Forge Points.
I'm not at that stage where I have a shortage of ways to spend Forge Points.
My Alcatraz can never be leveled high enough and my Arc needs food, badly.
Here is my City on Beautiful Rugnir; Everything worked for, paid for and earned.

10 16 2017.jpg

I've got too many better things to invest my Forge Points into, at this stage of my game.

DeletedUser29726

Bottom line with cape :

It's reasonably worth it up to level 60-70ish (< 1 year to payoff) if:

ONE of the following is true
- you get better than average results from your swaps you use to level it (i.e. swap so aggressively you always get a good deal on your swap partners buildings, while some of them get screwed on yours)
- you level it by fair swaps while having a high level arc
- you level it by selfdonation while having friends with high level arcs snipe it

AND
- you take the benefit of double-collecting it each level

Level 10 is the roughest level until level 67 (i.e. it gets easier for a while) when supported by fair deals with 80% arcs in the picture.
Level 43 to 48 are the cheapest levels (should cost you about 200 FP assuming 80% arcs a level including the bonus from double collect ; about 100 FP a level assuming 90% arcs)
Level 71 is the last one that should pay for itself within a year assuming 80% arcs.
Level 75 is the last one that should pay for itself within a year assuming 90% arcs.

DeletedUser27184

I would advise taking the Cape after you got an Arc to level 80. By that time, you probably acquired a few level 80 Arc players that invested into your Arc.
At this stage, if you go for a cape, with the help of your Arc friends, you can finish a level every day (while the low levels can take a bit more, around level 30 the cape start to level very fast). That means you can have a level 60 Cape in about 2 months.
Is it worth 2 months of dedication of your city for a 60FP award every day from that point? I would think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27889

274 days.

I'm just about done with Arc and thinking of making Cape my next project and I had the same question, to reach this number I had to make some assumptions based on my game:

1) Assuming first and second will be locked up at full boost by a 90% Arc holder
2) Assuming 3-5 will be locked up by an arc holder for profit at an 80% boost. Your cost may be lowered by those looking for BP, or higher if arc people around you demand more profit before contributing.
3) Assuming you are taking it to level 60 at a rate of 1 level/day and utilizing the double dip against it.
4) This does not take into account any FP you may spend looking for BPs (but if you are in groups of 3 working together on Cape this is not needed)
5)This does not take into account any FP needed to raise it from sticks to level 1.

Using the numbers posted in the wiki at the end of 60 days you will have spent 12854 points on your cape. At that point your cape will be making 60 points per day, 12854/60=214 plus the 60 days spent working on it is 274. On the 275th day it will produce it's first 'positive' FP.

At the same time, after those 60 days if you take the FP Cape produces and use it to lock up buildings at a profit this of course would lower the time it takes to turn a profit. Also, having an extra 60Fp/day would make any following building you work on go all that much faster. So while the black and white numbers may say you don't see pay off for 9 or so months the practicality of having it depends on the persons play style.

DeletedUser27889

Sorry for the double post but more math:

Let's say instead of building and working on cape you instead put 4 SOKs in the spot where cape would be. In the 274 days you spent working on cape/waiting for cape to turn to profit those 4 soks would net you 1096 FP.

If we gave the level 60 Cape 20 more days, so on day 294, it will have not only paid for itself but then made up the FP of those 4 SoKs for all 294 days and made you an extra 24 FP that day on top of it.

DeletedUser29218

274 days.

At that point your cape will be making 60 points per day, 12854/60=214 plus the 60 days spent working on it is 274. On the 275th day it will produce it's first 'positive' FP.

Actually it is a bit less, in these 60 days spent lvling it the average production is (1+60)/2=30.5, so that goes in favour in the cape.
I also think that the 3-5 positions locked by 80% arcs is too conservative. Once you have your 80 arc there is no reason to deny you from swapping equally with other 80 arc owners (unless you heavily invested $ in a new server, so there aren't enough arc owners).

PS: I get a cost of 13933 assuming double dipping and 90% arcs. Can you doublecheck your numbers?

DeletedUser31054

No GB is worth it if all you're going to count is the FPs you may have to put into it.
Not true. Tower of Babel provides headcount and goods in exchange for those FPs. Huge Sofa provides happiness. Deal Castle provides medals and city garrison attack/defense. For these GBs, the decision is "Do I want to invest FPs in order to get these other bonuses?"

The only thing Cape Carnival does for you is refund the FPs you put into it...slowly. Because it provides no other benefit, and takes up land space that could be used for other purposes, the only meaningful question here is "Am I willing to play this game long enough to collect more FPs from my Cape than I invested, and during that waiting period, am I comfortable consuming that land space waiting for that ROI and sacrificing (think opportunity cost) another potential bonus?"

My personal opinion: Cape is only good as a very long-term investment, and I'd rather use those FPs on just about any other GB. I mean, think about it like this:
Cape: "Hey man, spend a bunch of goods to build me and then pump some FPs into me! C'mon!"
Me: "Uh, o.k., what's in it for me?"
Cape: "Dude, I'll totally give you back your FPs."
Me: "You will? Awesome! How long will that take?"
Cape: "LOL like years, bro! But hey, I look SO cool!"

Last edited by a moderator: