• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is Hagia Sofia worth it for FP?

DeletedUser35976

I have no need of happiness thanks to traz, however the FP would be great. Is hagia worth it?

DeletedUser31308

Depends... do you already have a level 80 Arc? If not, don't even think about raising other FP buildings just for FPs. Do you already have a level 60+ Cape canaveral? Do you already have a level 60+ Innovation Tower? If not, both of those have a better FP ROI than Hagia Sophia, so should probably be leveled first.

DeletedUser34800

I say yes, it's worth it. It's the cheapest GB to level that gives daily FPs. Cheaper than CDM, Innovation Tower, Cape (though cape gives 1 FP per level, vs Hagias 1 FP per 2 levels), Kraken, AO.

I don't know about power leveling it, but if you just got it to level 14, Hagia Sophia would give 8 FPs a day, and only take 2 more additional tiles vs the same amount of FPs via SoKs, and it doesn't need to be motivated and cannot be plundered.

Sure, you have to invest FPs into the Hagia (like every other GB in the game anyways) but I think it's worth it. Anything beyond level 14 means it out produces equal SoKs, and if you stopped at level 10 for 6 FPs a day, it wouldn't be that big of a deal (I have, while I work on my Arc).

Anyways, both sides of the 'placing HS' argument make good points. Just depends on how you personally end up viewing it. Happiness is pretty whatever, I don't need it. But I always need more FPs, so I placed and leveled the Hagia Sophia

DeletedUser30312

It's okay if you spend the time to level it up. Don't leave it in the low levels.

DeletedUser31440

Since you just want it for the fp's:

What fp producing buildings do you have in your inventory or already down where the Hagia would go?
In the same amount of space that the Hagia would take, are you going to increase your daily fp production or decrease it when you put down the Hagia?

If you have fp producers in inventory that are better than Hagia, which is pretty much anything that produces a fp, I would wait to put the Hagia down. If you don't have any good alternatives and the space is being essentially wasted without it, then put down the Hagia.

Woody*

If you care about efficiency (either FPs per square, or pay-off time) then there are better options.

DeletedUser31592

As someone who has been playing for 3.5+ years now, I will say that my HS has paid me back far more than it cost. I leveled it to 10 quickly, so it has been paying me at least 6 FPs for about 3 years. That is 6,570 FPs. Cost to level it to 10 is 2,950.

Now, at level 10, SoKs are still more efficient. But the HS becomes more efficient than SoKs at level 14 (you have to factor in roads).

I like it. Not everyone does.

DeletedUser30312

I did up this visual comparison a while back:

hagia-sok.jpg

The first set of SoKs occupies the same 7x6 footprint the Hagia has. That's 9 SoKs in the same amount of space. The second set has a 7x6 outlined above it, in this case it's 9 3/4 SoKs, which for convenience I'll round up to 10. A Hagia produces 9 FP at level 15, and 10 at level 17. So those would be the minimum level to aim for if one wants the Hagia's FP production to be worth the space. One shouldn't build it for happiness over the long run since it will eventually become obsolete, but with enough levels, it can still be justified for FP. It doesn't need to stay at level 15 or 17 either, a player can keep leveling it, and I think over the short term past 10 goes up by 1 FP every two levels? Eventually, there's probably a point where it's not really worth pushing it though.

I stand by my view that if leveled up enough, it can be worth it and it may be worth it as a substitute for an extensive SoK farm. However, I also suspect that it's likely to be the next low age GB to be rendered obsolete by the addition of new GBs into the game, especially if Inno adds a newer happiness/FP GB.

RazorbackPirate

I did up this visual comparison a while back:

View attachment 11037

The first set of SoKs occupies the same 7x6 footprint the Hagia has. That's 9 SoKs in the same amount of space. The second set has a 7x6 outlined above it, in this case it's 9 3/4 SoKs, which for convenience I'll round up to 10. A Hagia produces 9 FP at level 15, and 10 at level 17. So those would be the minimum level to aim for if one wants the Hagia's FP production to be worth the space. One shouldn't build it for happiness over the long run since it will eventually become obsolete, but with enough levels, it can still be justified for FP. It doesn't need to stay at level 15 or 17 either, a player can keep leveling it, and I think over the short term past 10 goes up by 1 FP every two levels? Eventually, there's probably a point where it's not really worth pushing it though.

I stand by my view that if leveled up enough, it can be worth it and it may be worth it as a substitute for an extensive SoK farm. However, I also suspect that it's likely to be the next low age GB to be rendered obsolete by the addition of new GBs into the game, especially if Inno adds a newer happiness/FP GB.
Great analysis. The visual aid is very helpful.

Let me add that Hagia adds FPs at the same schedule (roughly 1 every other level) as CdM and Inno Tower. However, Hagia Sophia is the cheapest FP GB to level in the game. In the mid to upper levels (30+) hundreds per level less than CdM, over a thousand less per level than Inno. You will rarely need to hunt for HS BPs to level beyond 10, starting in EMA you will get plenty for free.

It's a tougher call when you don't need the happy, but In the low ages when FPs are at a premium, early access, no FP for goods, and the low FP cost to level, make it more compelling. For FPs in vs FPs out, you can't beat HS.

Mustapha00

On the first three worlds I joined, I built the HS and took it to 10+ fairly quickly. It's still there on all three worlds.

In the last two worlds on which I started to play, I did not build it and I do not miss it.

The game has changed dramatically over the past almost three years (and older players will no doubt tell you even more so over the longer term they've played). Inno has introduced a crapton of structures that add FP, and almost certainly will continue to do so, though few can be leveled in order to increase the FP given. The SoK is much, Much, MUCH easier to obtain (you >could< get a new one every week through the DCs, but, if you're that lucky, why aren't you in Las Vegas rather than playing FoE?) than it was before.

Woody*

Great analysis. The visual aid is very helpful.

Let me add that Hagia adds FPs at the same schedule (roughly 1 every other level) as CdM and Inno Tower. However, Hagia Sophia is the cheapest FP GB to level in the game. In the mid to upper levels (30+) hundreds per level less than CdM, over a thousand less per level than Inno. You will rarely need to hunt for HS BPs to level beyond 10, starting in EMA you will get plenty for free.

It's a tougher call when you don't need the happy, but In the low ages when FPs are at a premium, early access, no FP for goods, and the low FP cost to level, make it more compelling. For FPs in vs FPs out, you can't beat HS.

I have considerations for you to expand your analysis

#1 - We should account for the Hagia's comparably excessive size, which results in massive amounts of lost production when compared to some other FP-generating GBs. For example, although the CdM is more expensive to level, it leaves an extra 17 spaces worth of real estate to generate FPs with (or goods, etc). And for many players (particularly fighters...i.e. the ones that would build CdM regardless) , the secondary boost from the CdM far outweighs the happiness of Hagia (because Traz meets their happiness needs). An extra 17 spaces is enough for at least 3 SoKs (depending on road setups, maybe a 4th, but I assume 1 road touching each SoK, therefore 1fp per 5 squares on a row of SoKs = .2fps/square. Therefore, 17 squares = 3.4 fps every day. And that doesn't take into account the FPs that can be bought from the coin income on the SoKs).

#2 - when calculating the cost to level a GB, I recommend we only look at the cost to the owner, not the total cost of FPs to level. For example, if you receive 1.9 locks on your GBs (those done for no profit by level 80 Arc owning-guildies for instance) the Hagia is no where near the cheapest FP-generating GB to level.

Example #1: The owner's cost to level a Hagia to level 70 is 17,166fps. The owner's cost to level an Inno to level 70 is 14,957. That's 2209 in saved FPs, with a secondary boost that saves a ton of space to generate even more FPs, goods, etc.

Example #2: On the other hand, if a player only takes both Inno and Hagia to level 10, the Hagia is cheaper - by 913fps.

DeletedUser31470

If we take powerleveling into consideration, Hagia is third cheapest GB to powerlevel for FPs (first being Cape, if you take advantages of double dipping, it's cheaper, and it produces more FPs; second being IT as stated above). CDM is more expensive (some people may call it more useful for the attack boost though) and Kraken + AO are very expensive.

If you wish to level your IT to astronomic levels, you need to start considering your city happiness though. If you are in early ages, you need either high Alcatraz, or powerlevel Hagia first (I am in colonial, skyrocketed both Hagia and IT to 60, Alcatraz 10, and my happiness is pretty damn close to hitting angry).

I went the route to "generate as many FPs asap", which meant going Cape -> Hagia -> IT -> CDM, now I finished Chateau and I'm starting working on AO. Seeing other people struggle with the expensive CDM, or trying to boost Alcatraz so they can afford people from IT, I'm satisfied with my strategy.

Taking another point of view, I recently started on a new world (on day 1) and went the full GB route. Built Hagia as soon as I could and got it to level 7, then sold few CDM kits in LMA and used it to push it to 9, now slowly finishing level 10. The happiness boost in Indy is still very useful and the FPs are great (especially since I have 0 FP producing building in my inventory). In my current situation (I love plundering btw), FPs are the only resource I would use (I dont need coins/supplies/goods), so Hagia is helping me on my journey.

DeletedUser31470

a level 70 hagia earns 42fp/day. according to claire above the owners cost is 17,166fp.
which in best case scenario, would take about 408 days to break if it was built in 1 day.

That is correct but you have to consider that this game is a long run and those 408 days will pass eventually. A bit more if you consider that the space could be producing FPs with event buildings. But after that, can you have an event building producing 42 FPs in 42 tiles? I don't think so.

DeletedUser34800

I agree that this is definitely a long term game, that requires some good long term planning. I don't mind making the investments and waiting for things to pay back. Time's the one thing I've got. Well, that and dementia.

I leveled my HS to 10 awhile ago, and it's just sitting there giving me FPs. Plus, it was all done with swaps, so I got FP pack rewards from my swap friends GBs while my HS got leveled. That was nice (not great, but nice).

I will eventually go back to leveling it, once I level my TA up a bit, then go back to my Arc. I like it, but it's definitely not for everyone.