• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Lack of Land Space

- KQ -

So who were these now monthly events geared towards..? The ensconced player or the new...?

I know a lot of longtime players that love events. I find them a bit tedious, but when the rewards are lucrative I'm in there questing away. But I think you make some good points.

DeletedUser31420

FOE needs to wake up and make some major change to this game and stop dragging their feet over a needed improvement long over due.

If I’m not mistaken, the amount of expansions visible on the city map is actually more than what is currently attainable thru Arctic Future. I was counting them up one day while spending a day doing city planning. There is no lack of expansions, even with the introduction of Virtual Future. You earn some on the tech tree, others by way of the Continent Map, still others by means of medals, AND you get 2 diamond expansions at the beginning of each new age/era. Casual players like me stand to earn about 6 or so each age. There are limits in place to how much one can expand in one era, the limits on the map and medal expansions being more flexible.

I’m currently in Tomorrow and am now facing a welcome decrease in population demands so I can start opening up my space for different types of buildings, including the event buildings you mentioned. Sure, it helps to know exactly what you’re doing and how to accomplish it when you start playing, but many people don’t and learn as they go. And that’s okay.

The purpose of event buildings is to give you styles and themes while giving boosts and other features. The most basic idea is to use those that fit your play style and needs. The goal is not to amass them all and plop them all down; the goal is to be selective and use what you want/need and work with the game’s imposed limitations to strategize and plan your city accordingly.

DeletedUser29726

I'm just curious why your feel the events are aimed at new players? Many of the special event building are prized by experienced players because they are much more productive per square than other buildings available by era or through GE.

Different events are aimed at different groups - but where experienced players have some events that they're fine skipping because the rewards "aren't good enough", new players should be able to get something decent out of every event - whether that be the new thing or stocking up on the things long-time players already have all they want of like rogue hideouts and shrines.

RazorbackPirate

Different events are aimed at different groups - but where experienced players have some events that they're fine skipping because the rewards "aren't good enough", new players should be able to get something decent out of every event - whether that be the new thing or stocking up on the things long-time players already have all they want of like rogue hideouts and shrines.
I 100% disagree with this. All events are targeted toward All players. If someone chooses not to play an event, that's on them, it's not because the prizes offered were not worth it.

Please go back and review the prizes for each event from the last year. Let us know which Event Buildings were WORSE than the comparable previous event building.

Mill of Fall worse than The Ship? Nope.
Level 2 Piazza Set worse than a Level 2 Cherry Garden? Nope.
Colossus worse than the Tholos? Nope, not there either.

I don't know a single advanced player capable of doing math that has stated any event building has not been worth playing for. Plenty of frustration about getting there, but not about the final prize. Granted many of the event prizes don't fit diamond farms, and many advanced players often make diamond farms, but diamond farms never make advanced players.

I have seen many folks here and on the wiki claiming to be advanced players trying to justify their non-participation or lack of success on prizes not being worth it, but the math doesn't lie. Most advanced players I know are mainly interested in maximizing overall production per tile. I've yet to see an event building that doesn't deliver that better than the ones that have come before.

I find it hilarious the number of people who complain about the crap prizes only to find a Bazaar and a city filled with incomplete disconnected sets when I look to see their greatness for myself.

Last edited:

DeletedUser29726

I 100% disagree with this. All events are targeted toward All players. If someone chooses not to play an event, that's on them, it's not because the prizes offered were not worth it.

Please go back and review the prizes for each event from the last year. Let us know which Event Buildings were WORSE than the comparable previous event building.

Mill of Fall worse than The Ship? Nope.
Level 2 Piazza Set worse than a Level 2 Cherry Garden? Nope.
Colossus worse than the Tholos? Nope, not there either.

I don't know a single advanced player capable of doing math that has stated any event building has not been worth playing for. Plenty of frustration about getting there, but not about the final prize. Granted many of the event prizes don't fit diamond farms, and many advanced players often make diamond farms, but diamond farms never make advanced players.

I have seen many folks here and on the wiki claiming to be advanced players trying to justify their non-participation or lack of success on prizes not being worth it, but the math doesn't lie. Most advanced players I know are mainly interested in maximizing overall production per tile. I've yet to see an event building that doesn't deliver that better than the ones that have come before.

I find it hilarious the number of people who complain about the crap prizes only to find a Bazaar and a city filled with incomplete disconnected sets when I look to see their greatness for myself.

Last one I remember distinctly as being 'not worth it' was 2 winter events ago with the christmas village set. I skipped that one on my main world - village wasn't worth completing, and I was already in tearing down SoK mode, didn't need more rogue hideouts, didn't care about more reno kits. Did it on my new world at the time to get SoKs and rogue hideouts though which is what I was getting at. The upgradable grand prizes from the last year have generally been worthwhile though, yes. Historical events (also mostly retired) have also had some prizes that just weren't worth the nuisance and I skipped on my main world, but not on my newer one. Grand Bridge from last year's carnival was remote enough chance to complete that it was a might as well skip unless you were planning to spend the diamonds to finish it (I think I actually did that one on both worlds but I got nothing out of it on my main world and spent the diamonds to finish it on my newer one).

I would also say, even IF I had decided to say skip the 6 FP a day colossus or winter spire, it wouldn't have made much difference to my VF city - When you're putting out 400 FP a day and have more GB levels than you need to tackle any actual content in the game, pretty much anything's skippable. Sure you can work your way to 500 FP a day, but why?

Graviton

And I 100% disagree with this. When the main prize is a set that can be plundered, then it is definitely not worth it.

That's kinda cutting off your nose to spite your face, but whatever floats your florins. I would argue that virtually nobody gets plundered often enough to make the set not worth it. In fact, if you are being plundered that often you're just doing FoE wrong.

Last edited:

Emberguard

If I’m not mistaken, the amount of expansions visible on the city map is actually more than what is currently attainable thru Arctic Future. I was counting them up one day while spending a day doing city planning. There is no lack of expansions, even with the introduction of Virtual Future.

The same thing is in settlements which would suggest it's to give more options for city shape
upload_2019-2-25_6-47-31.png

RazorbackPirate

Last one I remember distinctly as being 'not worth it' was 2 winter events ago with the christmas village set. I skipped that one on my main world - village wasn't worth completing, and I was already in tearing down SoK mode, didn't need more rogue hideouts, didn't care about more reno kits. Did it on my new world at the time to get SoKs and rogue hideouts though which is what I was getting at. The upgradable grand prizes from the last year have generally been worthwhile though, yes. Historical events (also mostly retired) have also had some prizes that just weren't worth the nuisance and I skipped on my main world, but not on my newer one. Grand Bridge from last year's carnival was remote enough chance to complete that it was a might as well skip unless you were planning to spend the diamonds to finish it (I think I actually did that one on both worlds but I got nothing out of it on my main world and spent the diamonds to finish it on my newer one).

I would also say, even IF I had decided to say skip the 6 FP a day colossus or winter spire, it wouldn't have made much difference to my VF city - When you're putting out 400 FP a day and have more GB levels than you need to tackle any actual content in the game, pretty much anything's skippable. Sure you can work your way to 500 FP a day, but why?
Got it. So you're unique experience and a 2 year old set that was crap and impossible to complete for new and advanced players alike proves your thesis? I'd say it pretty much proves mine so, thanks for that.

HAD you chosen to skip the Colossus event, which you didn't by the way, it may not have negatively impacted your 400 FP a day VF city with more GB levels than you need, but it would not have added to your city as completing it did. As I said, the math doesn't lie. Choosing to not go after a good prize is not the same as not having a good prize to go after.

So again, all events are targeted toward all players new and advanced alike. The math is clear.
And I 100% disagree with this. When the main prize is a set that can be plundered, then it is definitely not worth it.

And now you do.
Since the last Spring Event, my lone lvl 1 Cherry set has gotten plundered exactly once. They got my Gong of Wisdom for 3 FPs while I was collecting. In that time my crappy little 'definitely not worth it' because it 'can be plundered' level 1 Cherry Garden Set has produced close to 1,500 FPs in a 5 x 5 space. Denying the math, doesn't negate the math. I stand by my premise.

And I will gladly do me with those kinds of numbers.

Last edited:

Emberguard

That's kinda cutting off your nose to spite your face, but whatever floats your florins. I would argue that virtually nobody gets plundered often enough to make the set not worth it. In fact, if you are being plundered that often you're just doing FoE wrong.

Certain ages appear to be more prone to plundering then others. Particularly somewhere around Industrial/Progressive. That being said a bad hood can have either a tavern shield or just put out more then can be taken.

Got it. So you're unique experience and a 2 year old set that was crap and impossible to complete for new and advanced players alike proves your thesis? I'd say it pretty much proves mine so, thanks for that.
Yeah that set was probably one of the hardest ones to complete over the last two years. Not sure if anyone managed to do so without spending diamonds, just know my own cities didn't get a full set. Wouldn't say a incomplete set for that was bad though. I actually like the incomplete winter sets. Especially for the straw tent giving refined goods. I'll be replacing it soon with Piazza, but for the time it was in the city it was great for what it produced in the size it's given

If anything I think they improved on the winter event in the following one with winter spire. Not because of changing to a single building but because they utilised the reshuffle so instead of it wasting your event currency it became crucial to maximising the main prize with the candles. So at least they took on the feedback that the reshuffle needed changing in some way for it to not work against players.

The trade off for that is you have to work on your friend list if you go for only motivatible buildings and have a large city (or have a ton of self aids). Not necessarily a bad thing but at least with sets if you take a break and come back to a empty-ish friend list you don't have to worry about re-building that list in order to keep your productivity

DeletedUser29726

Well winter set wasn't impossible to complete - but it was all you'd get if you went for it and not really worth completing as it was kinda like spending an entire event to get 1 slightly better terrace farm. The event as a whole was still worth it for new players - though ideally not to chase the set. And if a new player had gotten the set then it was probably worth building for them because they don't have a lot of other stuff to build instead. Which used to be a very common place for new event buildings - not good enough for a fully developed city but good enough until you got something better. I would not rule out them returning to occasional events that mostly appeal to people who haven't been around long enough to have better stuff. Upcoming spring event 4x4s for instance (still probably good enough for most - but definitely weaker than colossus or winter spire and I doubt we'll see anyone replacing their navy for them).

HAD you chosen to skip the Colossus event, which you didn't by the way, it may not have negatively impacted your 400 FP a day VF city with more GB levels than you need, it may not have negatively affected you, but it would not have added to your city as completing it did. As I said, the math doesn't lie. Choosing to not go after a good prize is not the same as not having a good prize to go after

If it didn't negatively affect me to skip it, how did it add to me ;) Honestly it's an incremental improvement - I removed 13 SoKs and put in 1 colossus and 2 of the dirt cheap attack boost set they put in. I couldn't tell you if that actually impacted my ability to reliably win fights on full auto/lose less units while doing so or not as there's too much random noise ;) It's quite possible though that I'm no stronger than I was at all :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorbackPirate

If it didn't negatively affect me to skip it, how did it add to me ;) Honestly it's an incremental improvement - I removed 13 SoKs and put in 1 colossus and 2 of the dirt cheap attack boost set they put in. I couldn't tell you if that actually impacted my ability to reliably win fights on full auto/lose less units while doing so or not as there's too much random noise ;) It's quite possible though that I'm no stronger than I was at all :)
Love the mental gymnastics here. An incremental improvement means it's added to you. You only had to remove 4 SoKs to put in the Colossus, so the Colossus added (there's that word again) 2 FPs in production to the same area. Plus goods, plus medals, plus, plus, plus.

Anything else you removed to produce a net loss has nothing to do with the Colossus.

DeletedUser29726

Love the mental gymnastics here. An incremental improvement means it's added to you. You only had to remove 4 SoKs to put in the Colossus, so the Colossus added (there's that word again) 2 FPs in production to the same area. Plus goods, plus medals, plus, plus, plus.

Anything else you removed to produce a net loss has nothing to do with the Colossus.

The point was anything it added was not *significant*. And looking at the event as a whole, not 1 prize. Not that I have any problem with the Colossus - it's one of the strongest prizes they've ever put out. Just that if someone with an advanced city said they weren't going to bother with Forge Bowl I'd understand (if they tried to justify it as impossible I'd correct them on that - but not being worth the effort is a personal decision). Where if someone with a new city said they weren't going to bother with it I'd say they were crazy and that it was a huge jump-start towards them getting stronger. Hence events are "for" newer players. And the more advanced your city is, the more likely you are to look at an event and go 'meh, who cares' - aka it's not "for" you.

DeletedUser

Since the last Spring Event, my lone lvl 1 Cherry set has gotten plundered exactly once. They got my Gong of Wisdom for 3 FPs while I was collecting. In that time my crappy little 'definitely not worth it' because it 'can be plundered' level 1 Cherry Garden Set has produced close to 1,500 FPs in a 5 x 5 space.
See this is an example of me thinking one way when I write and others thinking another way when they read. To me the key part of the phrase I wrote is "...main prize is a set...", with "...that can be plundered..." being merely an afterthought and nowhere near a big part of my reasoning.

RazorbackPirate

The point was anything it added was not *significant*.
By your standard, no event has added anything significant to my city since IA. Yet each event has added incrementally to my city. Events are just one part of a comprehensive strategy that's has my little HMA city producing 215 FPs per day, and my not much larger LMA city to 250 FPs, before ever counting all the other FPs I get from weekly GE, daily DC, weekly DC chests, FP sniping profits, etc.

You said VF and 400 FPs a day? Slacker.;)
And the more advanced your city is, the more likely you are to look at an event and go 'meh, who cares' - aka it's not "for" you.
I suppose it's theoretically possible but I've yet to meet the advanced player you describe. Unless they've bought their way to the top, advanced players didn't get to be advanced players being lazy players and they don't pass up better buildings.

DeletedUser29726

By your standard, no event has added anything significant to my city since IA. Yet each event has added incrementally to my city. Events are just one part of a comprehensive strategy that's has my little HMA city producing 215 FPs per day, and my not much larger LMA city to 250 FPs, before ever counting all the other FPs I get from weekly GE, daily DC, weekly DC chests, FP sniping profits, etc.

You said VF and 400 FPs a day? Slacker.;)

Still in HMA? Slacker :p

I suppose it's theoretically possible but I've yet to meet the advanced player you describe. Unless they've bought their way to the top, advanced players didn't get to be advanced players being lazy players and they don't pass up better buildings.

And a subset of them do keep on going playing 'having the highest GBs you don't need' as the game and caring about event buildings. Personally I only give a crap if it allows me to actually do something I couldn't - and I haven't had that motivation for a long long while.

DeletedUser33179

The point was anything it added was not *significant*. And looking at the event as a whole, not 1 prize. Not that I have any problem with the Colossus - it's one of the strongest prizes they've ever put out. Just that if someone with an advanced city said they weren't going to bother with Forge Bowl I'd understand (if they tried to justify it as impossible I'd correct them on that - but not being worth the effort is a personal decision). Where if someone with a new city said they weren't going to bother with it I'd say they were crazy and that it was a huge jump-start towards them getting stronger. Hence events are "for" newer players. And the more advanced your city is, the more likely you are to look at an event and go 'meh, who cares' - aka it's not "for" you.

Many times, you speak of city status as having only 2 categories - new or advanced - which is overly simplistic IMO & perhaps leads unintentionally to occasional misunderstandings. Given the wide range of city building FoE encompasses, I think allowing for several levels for classifying city status would allow for a more effective/interesting discussion. Perhaps something akin to: New (playing up to 2-3 months), Intermediate (some GBs & event buildings), Advanced (many GBs include several advanced Age, may/may not be hyperleveling), Elite (ranked Top 150), & Super-Elite (ranked Top50).

Breaking things up something like that for discussion's sake, I think new/intermediate players should do each Event. Most advanced players should too, but may prioritize some Events/buildings over others based on their chosen playstyle. The Elite & Super-Elite players, I guess they can take it or leave it with many Events, as you've pointed out.

Still in HMA?
... Personally I only give a crap if it allows me to actually do something I couldn't - and I haven't had that motivation for a long long while.

You know in your most advanced world that's a byproduct of being ranked in the Top 20, right? I'm seriously not trying to put you down. It's just that you & others in your position have advanced your cities at a massively quicker pace than Inno advances the game. Unfortunately, that tends to make many Events unfulfilling, I suppose.

DeletedUser29726

Many times, you speak of city status as having only 2 categories - new or advanced - which is overly simplistic IMO & perhaps leads unintentionally to occasional misunderstandings. Given the wide range of city building FoE encompasses, I think allowing for several levels for classifying city status would allow for a more effective/interesting discussion. Perhaps something akin to: New (playing up to 2-3 months), Intermediate (some GBs & event buildings), Advanced (many GBs include several advanced Age, may/may not be hyperleveling), Elite (ranked Top 150), & Super-Elite (ranked Top50).

I think I'd have a problem referring to myself as super-elite. I'm just a long time player with a well developed city. At any rate, I've never meant to suggest it's an either or situation - rather a continuum from when you're new and every reward almost is helpful to when you've got a city packed with decent stuff and only care about better stuff to when you're getting so much from your GBs that it doesn't really matter what you use your space on anymore. You can stuff it with barracks or make a pretty picture or continue eeking out every FP you can because you have enough fun trying to see who can have the biggest GBs.

You know in your most advanced world that's a byproduct of being ranked in the Top 20, right? I'm seriously not trying to put you down. It's just that you & others in your position have advanced your cities at a massively quicker pace than Inno advances the game. Unfortunately, that tends to make many Events unfulfilling, I suppose.

The game in general honestly - inno's new content has been ass since the Arc made hyperlevelling a thing - they can't balance it to provide both a challenge to people who have done so and to be reasonable for people who haven't. The closest they came is GE4 - but Oceanic Future and Virtual Future have had terrible unit sets where the best solution is to just use FE Hover Tanks for most of it. I'd love a world that will never have Arcs but that'll never happen and I'm in an extreme minority for wanting it to. Most people are tickled pink to get free stuff and play easy-mode FoE.

But that's not really about ranking... Just time played - ranking climbs naturally as people quit and you don't. Especially if you fight in a high age to any significant extent (which has no tangible benefit really beyond permanent points).