• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

NEW NEIGHBORHOOD MERGING SYSTEM Feedback

DeletedUser26579

My prediction is that on Monday we will get a number of complaints of people who are complaining of being put in a neighborhood with a plunder who have boosts far exceeding their own, and maybe even using advanced units like rogues and how unfair that matching is. They may even say that this is due to the person having bought a lot of this.

The change in the neighborhoods is apt to force many players to rework their playing style. Guilds and Friends are going to be more important in getting other aged goods an BPs and neighborhoods will be less able to handle this. I have always felt that the advice to only produce your top age good wasn't really a good idea, and this is just going to make that more so.

That's the issue with forcing a particular style of play. People who already play that way will not see a problem, while people who don't will have to change things around to catch up (and probably complain about having to do so). Not to mention that it takes time to change things around.

Personally, I think allowing a variety of playstyles is a good thing.

DeletedUser25401

This sounds horrible. If after 2 years, you haven't left the Iron Age, you need to be the one getting plundered. Now, you will be the strongest in your neighborhood. I think the age of the account should be a main contributor your neighbors; laggers won't like it, but it's the most fair.

iamtheemperor

My prediction is that on Monday we will get a number of complaints of people who are complaining of being put in a neighborhood with a plunder who have boosts far exceeding their own, and maybe even using advanced units like rogues and how unfair that matching is. They may even say that this is due to the person having bought a lot of this.

I have been saying this for more months than I have fingers and toes (and other countable extremities:p). Make no mistake, this change is not about fairness or balance or any other such hooey. It is being done entirely because Inno, afraid it might lose players, is caving into the demands of those players who whine about being plundered, instead of learning how to play and/or accepting that plundering is part of the game's fundamental design.

But of course the plundering will not stop, and those who don't like it will simply come back to the forums with some other excuse as to why plundering is unfair and blame Inno for not doing enough to stop it.

wolfhoundtoo

But in many ways it's all about the marketing. When you are many ages/eras behind the person attacking and plundering you, there is no way to say "well you'd be plundered anyway" by players your age that is going to seem reasonable to a person in that position. Ultimately this won't stop the complaints about plundering but it will address what can be seen as 'gross unfairness' to people not familiar with the game. I tend to doubt the problem they are addressing is the complaints in the forums. ;)

spnnr

Should this system go belly up, is there a history of Inno rolling back the changes?
In the meantime the contractors have been working to improve my castle defenses..
kids-building-a-sandcastle-on-beautiful-beach-picture-id540565392

DeletedUser14197

This sounds horrible. If after 2 years, you haven't left the Iron Age, you need to be the one getting plundered. Now, you will be the strongest in your neighborhood. I think the age of the account should be a main contributor your neighbors; laggers won't like it, but it's the most fair.

This is hardly fair. It means that if you don't have a job and can spend all day playing the game you will have an advantage over the person who has a job and a family and can only play in the evenings.

iamtheemperor

This is hardly fair. It means that if you don't have a job and can spend all day playing the game you will have an advantage over the person who has a job and a family and can only play in the evenings.

Normally I would assume this was sarcasm, but I feel you are being sincere.

Perhaps I should go to the Olympic games committee and demand a gold medal in diving, despite having never done it and despite that cutie Tom Daley training his little bum off for hours every day.

Of course someone who has put in more time and effort should have an advantage over someone who doesn't! Virtually every game ever invented works this way. Hell, most of life works this way.

DeletedUser25273

Actually, the person who plays the game heavily won't have that much of an advantage over the more casual player in the neighborhood. The heavy player will be ahead of the casual player that has played for the same amount of time, of course, but will end up being put in neighborhoods of the casual players who have advanced about the same amount by playing longer.

This new algorithm, as described, is going to favor players you focus more on city development, especially of Great Buildings over those who charge forward rapidly on the tech tree as they will be put in the neighborhoods with other people advanced the same on the tech tree, many who have put more effort into other parts of the game. This is somewhat of a change, but more just in degree, as the old algorithm, while not fully described, was somewhat based on tech level, so while they might have been able to be at the top of their old neighborhood, they also had the risk of being switched into a tougher neighborhood because of their tech advancement.

What might be more interesting would be if they included all FP spent, both on tech and great buildings (maybe with a scale factor between them), so a given neighborhood would be a mix of somewhat more advanced tech people with fewer, lower level Great Buildings and lower tech level people with stronger Great buildings.

DeletedUser14197

Normally I would assume this was sarcasm, but I feel you are being sincere.

Perhaps I should go to the Olympic games committee and demand a gold medal in diving, despite having never done it and despite that cutie Tom Daley training his little bum off for hours every day.

Of course someone who has put in more time and effort should have an advantage over someone who doesn't! Virtually every game ever invented works this way. Hell, most of life works this way.

I am being sincere. If the game did as you suggest, some people would not bother playing, cause they would be too disadvantaged by the retiree who spends hours on the game. I understand your point, but this is a game, not the olympics. This is for free time. I am not saying if you spend less time you should be the same age or have the same things as someone who spends more time, I think the person spending more time will have more and achieve more. Howeve, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that if you have 2 people, both starting 2 years ago, that they should be in teh same hood, even though player 1 can only get on 1 time a day and thus will not be getting 24 fps a day from collecting, may not have time to participate in all the swaps, or fight all their hood, so they are of course, not as high an age as player B, who spends all day on the game and easily collects all 24 of their fps a day and not only that has time to find gbs to donate to and make more fps, besides able to complete all teh events. Of course this person is also ages ahead of player 1 and you are saying that they deserve to be in the same hood as player 1 because you think it should all be based on their start date. They deserve to be a higher age, and have a bigger better city, etc..., but to deserve to be put in a hood with player 1, I would disagree. But, it is a pretty good way to discourage part time players from playing especially if it was known that was how it was done. I am sure I would never start a game if my time was limited if I knew that was going to be held against me. All the full time game players would be attacking all the people who have a job or family to take care of.

iamtheemperor

I understand your point, but this is a game, not the olympics.

I understand this is not the Olympics. It's called an analogy. I was making the point that people who work harder and longer deserve a greater reward than the ones who put forth less time and effort. Society tends to agree with this. Career advancement, artistic skill, athletic prowess, craftsmanship, knowledge... People who work harder generally have better jobs, more medals, trophies, ribbons, talent, knowledge, etc.

Howeve, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that if you have 2 people, both starting 2 years ago, that they should be in teh same hood, even though ... and you are saying that they deserve to be in the same hood as player 1 because you think it should all be based on their start date.

I didn't say any of that. I was making a general response to your general response, which was:

Moving along...

All the full time game players would be attacking all the people who have a job or family to take care of.

Of course they will, and so they should. Attacking is a big part of the fundamental design of this game. But probably the biggest part is strategy. And strategy involves learning and understanding, which take time and effort. People can play this game (or any game or any facet of life really) without taking the time to do the work to learn and then they can blame "having a job, family, life, etc." for their failures. But that's just an excuse. We all have jobs, families, lives... to some degree. We put forth the amount of effort we choose to put forth... and those who do more deserve more.

DeletedUser14197

I understand this is not the Olympics. It's called an analogy. I was making the point that people who work harder and longer deserve a greater reward than the ones who put forth less time and effort. Society tends to agree with this. Career advancement, artistic skill, athletic prowess, craftsmanship, knowledge... People who work harder generally have better jobs, more medals, trophies, ribbons, talent, knowledge, etc.

I didn't say any of that. I was making a general response to your general response, which was:

Moving along...

Of course they will, and so they should. Attacking is a big part of the fundamental design of this game. But probably the biggest part is strategy. And strategy involves learning and understanding, which take time and effort. People can play this game (or any game or any facet of life really) without taking the time to do the work to learn and then they can blame "having a job, family, life, etc." for their failures. But that's just an excuse. We all have jobs, families, lives... to some degree. We put forth the amount of effort we choose to put forth... and those who do more deserve more.

Ok, I was referring to what someone else said to begin with. And, like I said if the game was like poppy suggested, people who have a job would not be able to compete with people who can play all day, so there would be no point of people to play who can only play part time. I am not referring to strategy. I am referring to the difference between people who start on the same day, yet some play 15 hours a day, and other maybe 3 hours a day and not being put in the same hood based on the day they started instead of the age tehy are in. The person playing 3 hours a day could actually be a smarter player than the one playing 15 hours a day, but may be ages behind because they are only playing 3 hours a day and only because they are playing 3 hours a day. Sure, the game could treat this game like it is as important as the olympics or getting a raise and reward people who play 15 hours with the ability to plunder all those who only play 3 hours a day by putting them in the same hood, even though the 15 hour a day players may not use any strategy other than they have played more hours. Now, if they want to do that, they should advertise it that way. "It won't matter how smart a player you are, you really can only get in a good hood where you are not at the bottom if you play lots of hours a day, or spend money to catch up to those who have more fps because they are on all day long." No problem. i wouldn't play the game.

DeletedUser27889

I've been moved to a completely new hood. My first impression is that apart from our Era, me and these people are nothing alike.

My old hood spanned 3 eras but for the most part we had a very similar play style. We were mostly all stalling our tech tree and advancing our gbs and working on acquiring higher era gbs. Our #1 was someone in the lowest era of the 3 combined. I worked for months to little by little move down in rank and finally got to number 4. But it was a fun game of us all trying to out do one and other and take eachothers spots.

I had a PVP streak going but this last week faced more competition than usual, now I can't see if I won.

This new hood despite all being 1 era, points wise is way more dispersed than my old. I am #2, number 1 is an obvious diamond player with sok farms and 2 advanced GBs but apart from me and them, we are the only ones in the hood that have any. Half of the hood doesn't even have GBs at all...

From a plundering aspect, I could decimate 50/75 people on this list without losing a troop. Something I couldn't have done in my last.

I understand why they did it but for me an entire part of the game is gone. My good hoods keeping up with the joneses' play style, acquiring advanced gbs or leveling our existing gbs to higher levels. Even just the friendly fighting within the top 10 to try to knock eachother down some pegs. I am half the score of number 1 and number 3 is half my score so that isn't going to happen here.

I also can no longer get higher points for winning fights against higher era players or advanced goods for plundering those players, let alone trade.

I guess we just have to wait and see but my first impressions are certainly not good and from my play style, a good portion of the fun of the game has just gone away.

I also am very confused on what, at all, points in the tech tree has to do with anything what so ever? Are we now coddling plunder complainers to such a degree that even if they are a few hours/days away from unlocking their military in their current era we have to make it so they're with other people who haven't unlocked it yet so it's just that 'fair'? And does this mean we get a new hood every time we stick a FP on our tech tree? Do we now just have zero stability in neighborhoods?

DeletedUser27889

It is possible the inactives got filtered back in? I'm seeing a lot of people in this new hood that are not in guilds and have untouched 3 seater taverns.

GeaugaDog

Shocked to hear half of your hood doesn't even have a GB, I'm in a colonial age hood and everyone has at least one except maybe 12-15 players. Hopefully everyone is in a diverse guild otherwise it will be hard to get any goods above your own age of the hood.

DeletedUser14197

I've been moved to a completely new hood. My first impression is that apart from our Era, me and these people are nothing alike.

My old hood spanned 3 eras but for the most part we had a very similar play style. We were mostly all stalling our tech tree and advancing our gbs and working on acquiring higher era gbs. Our #1 was someone in the lowest era of the 3 combined. I worked for months to little by little move down in rank and finally got to number 4. But it was a fun game of us all trying to out do one and other and take eachothers spots.

I had a PVP streak going but this last week faced more competition than usual, now I can't see if I won.

This new hood despite all being 1 era, points wise is way more dispersed than my old. I am #2, number 1 is an obvious diamond player with sok farms and 2 advanced GBs but apart from me and them, we are the only ones in the hood that have any. Half of the hood doesn't even have GBs at all...

From a plundering aspect, I could decimate 50/75 people on this list without losing a troop. Something I couldn't have done in my last.

I understand why they did it but for me an entire part of the game is gone. My good hoods keeping up with the joneses' play style, acquiring advanced gbs or leveling our existing gbs to higher levels. Even just the friendly fighting within the top 10 to try to knock eachother down some pegs. I am half the score of number 1 and number 3 is half my score so that isn't going to happen here.

I also can no longer get higher points for winning fights against higher era players or advanced goods for plundering those players, let alone trade.

I guess we just have to wait and see but my first impressions are certainly not good and from my play style, a good portion of the fun of the game has just gone away.

I also am very confused on what, at all, points in the tech tree has to do with anything what so ever? Are we now coddling plunder complainers to such a degree that even if they are a few hours/days away from unlocking their military in their current era we have to make it so they're with other people who haven't unlocked it yet so it's just that 'fair'? And does this mean we get a new hood every time we stick a FP on our tech tree? Do we now just have zero stability in neighborhoods?

While, this may be true for you. I could have written very much the same thing after more than one shuffle in the old system. There has been at least a couple of shuffles in the past where I was moved from a great hood where I enjoyed being a part to one that I didn't. I have been moved from peaceful hoods to plundering hoods. I have been in the top and in the bottom. I have been in the same hood for ages, and also moved after a month or 2. I was even in a hood where I could have attacked everyone but maybe one person in the entire hood, cause I was ages ahead of everyone else in the hood. I did GE and took first spot while I was in that hood and I don't even believe anyone took second spot. Everyones experience with hoods is varied for the old system as well, and one shuffle in the old system could have landed you with the same complaints you get with the new system. You simply don't get to keep a hood you are in under either system no matter how well you like it. Eventually you are bound to get shuffled. I have been totally disappointed after more than one shuffle under the old system.

DeletedUser14197

I have 5 cities. I just checked out the hoods quickly in all 5 cities. The first and last person in each hood is the same age I am, so I will assume we are all the same age. The points vary greatly in all my hoods. The first person in my LMA city has an arc and traz, the last person doesn't have any great buildings at all. So there is a huge difference between the first and the last. So I think there will still be plenty of attacking and plundering going on. However, there should never be anymore complaints of getting attacked and plundered by anyone ages ahead. People getting attacked though will be able to improve their game and maybe be able to revenge if they put forth the effort. It shouldn't be totally hopeless in most of the hoods.

DeletedUser27362

When donating to a neighbours GB you used to be able to carry on donating after hood change until that GB levels up, now you cant? I had donated 65 FP to a neighbours Observatory and now he's not in my hood and i cant donate any more, so do i still get any rewards when it levels or are my FP's lost?
I have 103 friends so i couldn't add him, nor was i going to remove 28 active friends to add 1.
I think if this is the way its going to be you need to look at either removing the 80 invite limit so we can invite up to the 140 limit for these occurrences.

DeletedUser27889

While, this may be true for you. I could have written very much the same thing after more than one shuffle in the old system.
It's true it could have, but it didn't I was with them for quite a long time. It's just wait and see but so far I'm not a fan.
Shocked to hear half of your hood doesn't even have a GB, I'm in a colonial age hood and everyone has at least one except maybe 12-15 players. Hopefully everyone is in a diverse guild otherwise it will be hard to get any goods above your own age of the hood.
I went and counted, 30 out of the 75 do not have any gbs in an LMA hood so it seems I exaggerated a bit by saying half.

I am still wondering if inactives were filtered back it, a lot of naked 3 seater taverns.
When donating to a neighbours GB you used to be able to carry on donating after hood change until that GB levels up, now you cant? I had donated 65 FP to a neighbours Observatory and now he's not in my hood and i cant donate any more, so do i still get any rewards when it levels or are my FP's lost?
I checked and I still can donate to old hoodie's buildings I put fps on. If you go into your town hall then GBs you're currently working on then click view on that GB it lets me continue to add points.