• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

NEW NEIGHBORHOOD MERGING SYSTEM Feedback

DeletedUser8152

You get 2 boost per era, but that doesn't stop you from building the rest, it will just take longer to get thats all,
That really shouldn't be necessary if you have any kind of reasonable guild and/or friends list.

DeletedUser18851

Why do the managers release information like this and then refuse to answer any questions about it?

Didn't Inno just send some kind of survey out to everyone asking about their service?

DeletedUser3679

You get 2 boost per era, but that doesn't stop you from building the rest, it will just take longer to get thats all, and is there really a need to rush through the era's?....... I think not.
I have been playing this game since 2010 and seen many players leave because they rush through the tech tree using diamonds to get more advanced than others and then they get bored because they have little to do but wait for others to catch up.

Since 2010?.....I think not. (See what I did there?)

sirblu

We of course will be happy to know your opinion about this new system, so please don't forget to share here!

Your Forge of Empires Team
Thank Goodness! I really enjoyed playing FoE but for the past two months I have been in a neighborhood where 95% of the players are in very advanced ages and have upwards of 1 to 12 million points. Needless to say my City defenses are not able to stop these players from attacking and/or plundering and that happens randomly about every 2 hours. I have virtually stopped playing and have stopped all production that I have control over.
Hopefully this new neighborhood system will even things out for us little folks.

DeletedUser14197

I dont' think it really matters what INNO does, there are always arguments to deal with it:
getting plundered?........ collect on time
need goods (supposedly from hood)? ...... join a better guild, produce your own, get better friends,
I am afraid I can't really understand habitually needing goods unless you are a trader getting fps for your trades, or really rushing
thru the tech tree. It only rarely seems to be that one good is that hard to get.
need bps (supposedly from your hood)?......again, get them from friends. Add the ones of the age you want the bps in, get them from guild,
donate to the right gbs, I wish I could give them to you, or better yet sell them for fps.
can't win with rails anymore?.......learn to use ss, exos or even drones(maybe works for other people, not so good for me), or simply use ony
hovers. Still can't win? There is always the tavern boost, negotiation, using diamonds helps.
dont' like the tavern?..... no problem, don't use it. Your friends may all drop you, but hey..... you can add new ones.

No matter what INNO does, there really is a way to deal with it or so it appears. We may not like the options left to us, we may quit, but hey, there is normally a solution that seems to appear quite easy to some and not so easy to others.

DeletedUser11427

I seen and heard so many complaints about the unbalance & plunder, that this seems overdue. If your an attacker & plunderer you may find yourself against more appropriate competition. If you trade goods in your hood, your going to need to expand your trading to your guild where most of it should be, and your friends list.

DeletedUser26579

I do think these changes are narrowing the range of viable options until there will be only one valid playstyle left. Those who already play that way may not see a negative impact, but it removes backups.

For example, sometimes a guild has a shortage or surplus of a particular good. Neighborhood trades offer a safety valve, even if they're not the main source of goods.

DeletedUser26579

For clarification: I think changes were needed, but these may have gone a little too far in the opposite direction.

Czari

I understand the need for a more equitable neighbor-ship, but I am one of those who loves to see what can actually be accomplished in the game by seeing neighbors who are very far advanced. It gives me something to aim for; a goal.

PackCat, I'd like to give you the view of a NEW player. One who is not WEAK AND LAZY. I joined in December and have played daily, also buying diamonds when necessary to advance. I am now mid way through the HMA, trying to build my army to compete in GE and PvP, and use forge points to build and progress GBs. Imagine my surprise when just this last week my neighborhood changed to people in Future and Tomorrow world. I was constantly attacked, plundered and lost my hard earned position of Champion in the PVP Iron Age. All of this was done with Drone Swarms, Hover Tanks, and things that I have no names for because I've never seen them. If, while aiding my neighbors, I received a blue print, it was from a much more advanced age and not one that I currently need to help finish the GBs from the early ages I'm working on. As for trading, there have been very few neighbors interested in my goods as they are looking for more advanced type items and in turn, have nothing I need.

With all of this said, I did meet quite a lot of nice people despite all the gold lost from others plundering my cities and lost medals from the PvP tournaments. I will do as Panacea suggests and send them friend requests before the neighborhood change is made.

So, you see, there are two sides to every story and those of us who are not as advanced in the game as you, are NOT weak and lazy. We are working hard and 'aggressively climb[ing] the tech tree" as FPs are earned. Without the loss of medals, gold and time spent rebuilding armies destroyed by people from FUTURE worlds, perhaps we too can advance to your level. I personally do not want to reach that level by constantly picking on those weaker than I, but in competing with those of equal strength and learning strategies that will help as I advance through the ages.

EXACTLY! I've been playing for two years and am certainly not lazy but, instead of racing through the tech tree and having a weak city in terms of Great Buildings and military, I stay in each era for a while and build my city. One of the top complaints amongst players in my guilds is getting put in a neighborhood with players that are 3+ eras ahead of them and getting pounded daily with absolutely no way to protect their cities nor retaliate. I am honestly amazed to see people who are against this change but then, in general, only a tiny percentage of people who play FoE post in the forums, or even know the forums exist, so some opinions are skewed due to that. Overall I think the majority of players who have real cities and not fields of SoK's applaud this change.

DeletedUser25273

I agree somewhat, I see a possibility that very flat neighborhood are going to make some things harder in the game. It will mean that some things that were provided by variation in the neighborhood will now need to be provided via guilds and friends. It will mean it will be more important for guilds to think about having a fairly good distribution of ages within them and people will need to be using their friends network to fill in the missing blanks. This may put pressure on the 80 friends invite limit.

Ultimately, until this is play tested significantly, we won't know how all of these interact, this play testing will be done on the live servers. I won't be surprised if a few weeks to months from now, the method is revised somewhat to put a bit more variability into the neighborhoods.

Czari

I would rather see you put the people that like to plunder (hood PVP) in the same hoods since they like to fight and put the ones that just want to play the game without the bully aspect (hood PVE - Player vs Environment) in a separate peaceful hood. This way we can have anyone from any era (good for trade) in the same hood and talk to each other and help out the lower level ones, when needed. Also, taking a lower person out of a hood reduces some of their ability to get higher BPs for GBs they will be eventually putting down (through M/P'ing and investing in our GBs). They can only get the hard to obtain BPs from their advanced guildmates. Lower level guilds with mostly lower level players will suffer.

I like this idea! It would follow the model of games like EQ, WoW, and I'm sure many others where one can choose to play on a PvP server or a PvE server. There are many players and guilds who are traders and enjoy the challenge of using goods to advance.

Czari

I have no idea if this change is good or not, but it sounds like it is an improvement to me. At any rate, it has been very long coming. People have complained about the unbalanced hoods for as long as I have been playing. Of course plunderers like the old system. My guess is people who are normally attacked and plundered will end up liking this system.

QFT!

DeletedUser25273

Inno seems to have done that slightly differently. FoE is a PvP game, while they have other games, like Elvenair which are non-PvP games that are very similar.

DeletedUser26579

I would like to point out that it doesn't have to be all one way or another. I agree that it needed to be flattened more than it is now, but it is possible that they replaced that with the opposite extreme. Something in between the two would be best.

DeletedUser28170

As far as the desired goal of protecting people from being attacked in PvP by players with units from higher ages, the new system achieves that end. This, of course, necessarily reduces the ability of plunderers to acquire higher level goods.

It also reduces the ability to acquire goods outside your age via trade and exposure to and connection of people within a world.

In essence, it changes how a player succeeds. It alters what goods they should produce (how a farmer should build their city) and the desirable composition of their friend and guild pool.

Other alternatives that balance these considerations should perhaps be considered. Systems that combine sorting and more random assignment could be considered. I have thought of two options that are not much more difficult.

The first is a system that first orders by relevant metric (forge points in technology?) and partitions the players into groups like the new system will, then selects a number of players from each group at random, aggregates the selected players into one list, randomizes their order, and places them back into the original partition based on their placement in the new order. The number of people chosen would determine the degree of the mixing.

The second is a system that generates a set of multipliers, one to apply to each player, randomly from a probability distribution. Each players score on the relevant metric is producted with their respective multiplier. Then the players are ranked and the partitioned according the the altered scores, as done in the new system. An appropriately chosen gamma function (mean of 1, variance depending on desired spread) would probably serve as an suitable probability distribution.

The potential lack of stability of neighborhoods has also been noted as a undesired change. To restore some continuity, only a portion of the players could be reordered by any of these systems in a given week.

The lack of a proportional relationship between forge points in the technology tree and attack power has also been noted as an issue, with great buildings being the most significant cause. While one could make the argument that this gives a reason to advance your great buildings, the cost of great buildings could also be factored into the metric for ranking players when ordering.

It also seems that part of the problem is that some players are acquiring absurd levels of power, sometimes even disporportionate to their age or other progress, by simply paying for it. While this is how the game gets funded, it also serves to frustrate those who just play the game. Other solutions to this that still maintain the incentive to pay seem difficult. Perhaps making the diamond cost for the various features nonlinear, as with the coin cost of forge points or medal cost for victory expansions, would work. Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of players that have already benefited; perhaps a server would be started that would include this change.

Those are my two cents. Take em or leave em.

wolfhoundtoo

Basing it on the tech tree seems fair to me. Everyone in roughly the same spot on the tech tree would of had an equal chance (well not counting diamonds) to develop their city accordingly. As for goods you should still be able to do that thru your guild and working your friend list properly.

wolfhoundtoo

As far as the desired goal of protecting people from being attacked in PvP by players with units from higher ages, the new system achieves that end. This, of course, necessarily reduces the ability of plunderers to acquire higher level goods.

It also reduces the ability to acquire goods outside your age via trade and exposure to and connection of people within a world.

In essence, it changes how a player succeeds. It alters what goods they should produce (how a farmer should build their city) and the desirable composition of their friend and guild pool.

Other alternatives that balance these considerations should perhaps be considered. Systems that combine sorting and more random assignment could be considered. I have thought of two options that are not much more difficult.

The first is a system that first orders by relevant metric (forge points in technology?) and partitions the players into groups like the new system will, then selects a number of players from each group at random, aggregates the selected players into one list, randomizes their order, and places them back into the original partition based on their placement in the new order. The number of people chosen would determine the degree of the mixing.

The second is a system that generates a set of multipliers, one to apply to each player, randomly from a probability distribution. Each players score on the relevant metric is producted with their respective multiplier. Then the players are ranked and the partitioned according the the altered scores, as done in the new system. An appropriately chosen gamma function (mean of 1, variance depending on desired spread) would probably serve as an suitable probability distribution.

The potential lack of stability of neighborhoods has also been noted as a undesired change. To restore some continuity, only a portion of the players could be reordered by any of these systems in a given week.

The lack of a proportional relationship between forge points in the technology tree and attack power has also been noted as an issue, with great buildings being the most significant cause. While one could make the argument that this gives a reason to advance your great buildings, the cost of great buildings could also be factored into the metric for ranking players when ordering.

It also seems that part of the problem is that some players are acquiring absurd levels of power, sometimes even disporportionate to their age or other progress, by simply paying for it. While this is how the game gets funded, it also serves to frustrate those who just play the game. Other solutions to this that still maintain the incentive to pay seem difficult. Perhaps making the diamond cost for the various features nonlinear, as with the coin cost of forge points or medal cost for victory expansions, would work. Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of players that have already benefited; perhaps a server would be started that would include this change.

Those are my two cents. Take em or leave em.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'absurd levels of power' by paying for it?

DeletedUser25273

My prediction is that on Monday we will get a number of complaints of people who are complaining of being put in a neighborhood with a plunder who have boosts far exceeding their own, and maybe even using advanced units like rogues and how unfair that matching is. They may even say that this is due to the person having bought a lot of this.

The change in the neighborhoods is apt to force many players to rework their playing style. Guilds and Friends are going to be more important in getting other aged goods an BPs and neighborhoods will be less able to handle this. I have always felt that the advice to only produce your top age good wasn't really a good idea, and this is just going to make that more so.

Algona

My prediction is that on Monday we will get a number of complaints

Agreed and predicted months ago. But that was an easy prediction, anything INNO does will draw complaints that 'The Olde Way Was Better'.

Deae INNO,

The $10,000 was OK, but next time could I get brand new $100 bills?

kthnxbye, CursedQueen2017