• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Next steps with Mobile Video Ads (Feedback thread)

RazorbackPirate

Additionally, if the whole idea is that there's a threshold to meet to get out of ads, tell us. Or add a blurb to purchases that are large enough to the point where it says, "This purchase will make your game ad free forever!" When you lock no ads behind a paywall that we don't even know the threshold of, it just feels extremely hidden. Inno could keep serving you ads after a purchase that would technically qualify, and merely say that the person didn't meet the threshold. Without the transparency of a purchase amount, or consistent policy, players are at the mercy of greed.
They did this. Ad free is no longer tied to purchases, it is now tied to FoE Plus. Buy FoE plus, no ads. Stop buying FoE plus, you get ads. There is no mystery any longer.

@The Lady Redneck, While certainly not defending MTG/Inno in any way, FoE is still free to play, it is just no longer add free. If you want to remove ads you pay. I see no conflict with the statement presented above.

Pericles the Lion

They did this. Ad free is no longer tied to purchases, it is now tied to FoE Plus. Buy FoE plus, no ads. Stop buying FoE plus, you get ads. There is no mystery any longer.

@The Lady Redneck, While certainly not defending MTG/Inno in any way, FoE is still free to play, it is just no longer add free. If you want to remove ads you pay. I see no conflict with the statement presented above.
I've lost track. Didn't @Juber post that in-game purchases could result in ad-free but INNO would not disclose the threshold amount?

Coolbroke

For me its simple ,,I will not open the ads ,,and as long as they clutter my city ,,I will not spend any.money on the game ,,INNO can't have.it both ways ,,do you want my cash ,,or do you want me to watch ads ,,this is not a game changer ,,its a game ender for me ,,,after six and a half years and all the money I have spent on this game ,,putting all that clutter in my cities ,,and PC players get the rewards without ads ,,is ridiculous and insulting

Sharmon the Impaler

The ads mean the free play is degraded and is now a 32.50$ subscription service to get the same game. Does inno fall under the consumer protection laws now ? I paid straight out for my level 14 castle and now it's got an ad on it too. 7357$ CAD was the total amount spent on this game since I started so if Inno doesn't give a rat's behind if I enjoy the game just imagine how little they care about the ones that don't spend. A small detail that everyone seems to be forgetting is that there will likely be an exodus of the higher spenders because in the real world when you spend more for a service you get better service. Then what will be left but a few thousand who don't care if the ads make the game ugly and tedious to play and the others who don't mind getting nothing for 32.50$ per month and the rest that login in every now and then to collect and to catch up. So if this cash grab doesn't work Inno will lose a large portion of it's revenue and will continue to degrade the game further while the bean counters try to figure out a new way to suck money out of an old and tired game that they haven't really developed in over 6 years.

Last edited:

Zoe 807 the Wise

A couple of ideas on ways to fight back against ads (since they probably won't listen to posts here):
1) leave 1 star reviews for the app calling out the addition of ads. This will hopefully reduce new player interest. If you plan on quitting over ads, this certainly became a 1-star game to you.
2) Don't spend any new money while they 'test' these ads, AND DO NOT WATCH THE ADS! This will hopefully result in a decrease in overall revenue during this 'test'. This is a cash grab, so if people can turn it into a revenue loss then maybe they'll undo it.
3) Get an ad blocker for your home network. I clicked an ad button today for the first time and it did nothing. No reward, but also no ad.

Actions speak louder than words. Spread any ideas on how to act against this poor decision in a way that ppt management will see (budget reports, player activity, etc).

RazorbackPirate

I've lost track. Didn't @Juber post that in-game purchases could result in ad-free but INNO would not disclose the threshold amount?
Old news from the old thread. Reread the announcement linked to Page 1. FoE Plus is the one and only threshold.
Get an ad blocker for your home network. I clicked an ad button today for the first time and it did nothing. No reward, but also no ad.
There are no ads on PC. If you play on PC, you don't need an ad blocker. This affects the Mobile app only, and only those in the A group of the A/B test.

You might want to read the actual announcement before commenting on things that don't apply.

Last edited:

Kaidi

I'm 99% computer. I use my phone in bed for St. Pat's - lol - and for the first week of starting a new city, and I might use it if, say, my internet goes down, or I'm out of town and need to let someone know something. I updated/checked my mobile version, and I'm apparently in the "no ads" group.

But here's the deal: I budget $40 per week for this game. For certain events, I spend a little more, so in the past 10.5 months with my new Carthage city, I've averaged $45 per week. Assuming that continues over the next 8 weeks, that's $2340 per year. (Don't judge. lol. I work from home, so no lattes and lunches and wardrobe and transportation, and my hobbies are my dog, cooking equipment and ingredients, and this game.)

While the current test - and probable implementation - doesn't affect me now, I no longer feel confident that Inno isn't going to change things around so that computer players also are held hostage at $360 per year to drop ads, regardless of spend. The day that happened, I'd quit.

So what does this mean for me? This game is "long haul" for me. I've played for more than six and a half years, though took some breaks in there. When I spend money on events, it is an investment in the game for the future. Some buildings that I get lots of, they're for eventual aging up. Since at this point, I feel like further investment isn't safe - that they're likely to do something that is an insta-quit for me - it's not a good bet to invest any further.

I'm going to stop spending and see how this all shakes out. The bad thing is that my playstyle requires diamonds for healing upper era troops, at the very least, so it might mean I may need to go ahead and take a break and check back in a year or something; hopefully not, but will have to see. The good thing is, it'll drop me to $38/week, $2 per week under budget for the year when the year finishes out. :p

I just bought a desktop game that has been on my wishlist for a while at a particular game site; hope it's fun. :).

The Lady Redneck

I just bought a desktop game that has been on my wishlist for a while at a particular game site; hope it's fun.
Yup. I have been talking with some friends about other games. As I am PC only for this game, this mess does not affect me directy yet. But the day will probably come. As I do have some real friends in the game after playing it for so long, it would be good if we could move to another game and still keep the friendships going. Might go back to ones I have played before or try something new. (Will steer clear of the MTG/Inno stable offerings LOL).

Ericness

Just had what I would call my first really off-putting experience with in game ads. Apparently in the Castle the top collection button is now a quarter of the original with an ad button taking over the remaining space. I had gotten used to the tavern defaulting to the ad menu and the minefield of ad incidents strewn about the outskirts of my city, but this new change just felt low, like a shameless or desperate attempt to fool me into watching an ad I can't easily close out of without either existing the game or watching the whole thing.

To be honest, I had written off a lot of the complaints about ads up to now as the usual noise that accompanies any change around here, but this feels different. After being inundated with ads and then being more frequently tricked into clicking them just feels insulting. I get that Inno wants/needs the money to keep the game going, but the way they are going about it is unappealing and underhanded.

I've been playing for close to 6 years and as recently as the start of this year figured I'd ride this game out until the end. The last few months, however, I've been feeling increasingly less interested in playing and if things keep going the way they are I might move on sooner rather than later. Don't expect anyone to care about me individually leaving, but if I'm at this point I'm sure many others are as well. Feel like Inno shot themselves in the foot here by being overly aggressive with the ad roll out.

Have you even checked how these ads work. The appropriate way is to watch, then exit at the end. We can’t even do that without being forced to open a new page and wait. Even YouTube has a limit of adds as well as 15 second limits. These 1 minute adds are not only ridiculous but they don’t even appeal to the current demographic base of FOE. Most of us are adults and these ads are for very childish repetitive games.
i Agree. i didn’t know there would be ads everywhere, even inside my settlement where I collect on my FI, but when I accidentally watched a few bec I thought they’d go away, the ads were for games for five year olds. Click on the tent, are you kidding? The only good news is you can swipe and close the game and then restart. A waste of another two minutes of life.

Coolbroke

Old news from the old thread. Reread the announcement linked to Page 1. FoE Plus is the one and only threshold.

There are no ads on PC. If you play on PC, you don't need an ad blocker. This affects the Mobile app only, and only those in the A group of the A/B test.

You might want to read the actual announcement before commenting on things that don't apply.
So PC players get the rewards ,,and mobile pay the price ,, I'm tearing down my cities ,,time for a new distraction

UBERhelp1

Lol I couldn't even buy Forge Plus right now to get rid of ads if (for some misguided reason) I wanted to. If you want to extort money, don't remove your own way of getting that money. The Forge Plus package doesn't show up as a purchase option for me.

5bFQLGr.png
RspBQzg.png

Johnny B. Goode

Lol I couldn't even buy Forge Plus right now to get rid of ads if (for some misguided reason) I wanted to. If you want to extort money, don't remove your own way of getting that money. The Forge Plus package doesn't show up as a purchase option for me.

5bFQLGr.png
RspBQzg.png
They must be in the middle of updating it or something. I notice that "Remove Ads" is now listed as one of the benefits when you click on the coach icon.

Wayne Campbell

Agreed. I've enjoyed playing the game with my wife and kids for years. This new "feature" is a bad idea. We will not continue to play the game if subjected to ads involuntarily. We've spent hundreds of dollars buying forge packages, diamonds, etc., but the fact that doing so now does not automatically opt us out from having to watch ads is ridiculous. Please reconsider your approach, otherwise it will be the end for this family as well.

RazorbackPirate

You need to click on the Carriage by the castle.
1661482498023.png
You will get this.
1661482572369.png