• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plundering and the Prisoner’s Dilemna

Algona

Reducto ad absurdum: If everyone plunders, then no one would build goods buildings, so there would be no goods to plunder.

Useless Maxim: The maximum amount of goods in a neighborhood is based on the number of people comfortable producing goods.

Misdirection via Distraction: This analysis does not discuss the waste of space, time, and resources used to maintain a large effective army capable of plundering scores of times per day.

The following assumes facts not in evidence:

Plundering is a classic example of the Prisoner’s Dilemna. While plundering is individually beneficial, collectively it is horribly inefficient.

Consider a neighborhood where no one plunders. Each player will feel confident in producing a maximum amount of goods. Ability to trade for needed goods is maximized.

Consider a neighborhood with only 10% plunderers. The plunderers will have a steady stram of goods to plunder. Some of those plunderers may be profitable enough to forego their own goods production. Some habitual whiners will complain about being plundered, Most will adopt their goods schedule to timely collection, incidentally slightly reducing their goods production.

Note that as plundering increases, some ‘victims’ will be upset enough to quit. This of course lowers total goods production.

Consider a neighborhood with 50% plunderers. The plunderers will have to work hard to beat other plunderers to the goods producers. Some of those plunderers may be profitable enough to forego their own goods production. Other less successful plunderers will need to rely on their own goods production, becoming targets for other plunderers. Some habitual whiners will complain about being plundered. Most will adopt their goods schedule to timely collection, incidentally slightly reducing their goods production.

Consider a neighborhood with 100% plunderers. Good news is nobody whines about being plundered. (Note this applies to a relatively balanced neighborhood, an unbalanced neighborhood will always produce whiners.) Otherwise there is little to no production of goods because any uncollected goods are immediately plundered.

Unjustifiable Conclusion: It’s better for everybody if no one plunders. But since that ain’t gonna happen you should be plundering.

The oddity of this is that people who understand plundering is highly effective keep arguing with players who do not plunder. Since the fewer people who plunder, the more successful plundering is, recruiting more plunderers is counterproductive.

So when yet again some whiny poor thinking do-gooder posts about how plundering is an evil atrocity against the spirit of the game, just like Hitler and Nazis, or some other fallacy, instead of arguing with the yutz, agree with him. Then go plunder his ass.

Darkbox

So when yet again some whiny poor thinking do-gooder posts about how plundering is an evil atrocity against the spirit of the game, just like Hitler and Nazis, or some other fallacy, instead of arguing with the yutz, agree with him. Then go plunder his ass.

Care to explain how plundering is against the spirit of the game?

Are you one those whiny poor thinking do-gooder you are referring to?

Am I confused?

DeletedUser

Dressing your post up in fancy language doesn't make it reasonable.

Plundering yields far more than goods. Coins, supplies, fps, and the occasional bp are also available.
Any goods plundered usually do not remain the sole property of the plunderer but are rather given to market to trade with other players. They stay in the food chain.

And yeah, what's your point exactly?

cbalto1927

Dressing your post up in fancy language doesn't make it reasonable.

Plundering yields far more than goods. Coins, supplies, fps, and the occasional bp are also available.
Any goods plundered usually do not remain the sole property of the plunderer but are rather given to market to trade with other players. They stay in the food chain.

And yeah, what's your point exactly?

How can you explain why alot players of at least in my neighborhood quit or left their accounts inactive status? We have one player I.AM.UR.KING in H world plunders and attacks everyone, everyday, at all hours. No trade, No advancement and No fun. Would you care to explain that?

DeletedUser

Would you care to explain that?

Nope. No explanation I give will satisfy you. I read the thread that you took over whining and complaining about that player. You got plenty of explanations there.

cbalto1927

Nope. No explanation I give will satisfy you. I read the thread that you took over whining and complaining about that player. You got plenty of explanations there.

I understand that plundering is part of the game. I personally dont have a problem with that. I would like to know why that player keeps doing it daily, hours and etc. Is there a point to it? I would understand better if it more than just one player. I am speaking for other players in the same boat as me who has only one person that does it out of 75 to 80 neighborhood. Thats all i wanted to know.

DeletedUser

The simple answer I can give you cbalto is that I make almost 100 goods a day on a good day from doing so, I make tower points, and I get blue prints. All from the action. It's highly lucrative. And I am by no means the only player in my hood doing so, in fact the top 7 all basically do, and the ones below that try, so you happen to be in a relatively peaceful hood, be thankful. It's very common in the more aggressive groups. Those also tend to be the higher ranked and more advanced groups.

DeletedUser8796

lol.. i just have to say i plunder a lot and i'm a lot more likely to plunder a player if i recognize their username just hope you don't end up in my hood :)

DeletedUser10517

How can you explain why alot players of at least in my neighborhood quit or left their accounts inactive status? We have one player I.AM.UR.KING in H world plunders and attacks everyone, everyday, at all hours. No trade, No advancement and No fun. Would you care to explain that?

100 people HAVE explained it..........but you dont listen.

You should be thankful that you are in a QUIET hood with only one Plunderer.....you will find as you age up, that more and more plunder.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbalto1927

Madness...simple madness.

Agreed, Simple solution would be "greying out" plunder icon for players higher age than yours. By doing that, higher age player would not be able to plunder lower age players. The player would have to be same age or higher to be able to plunder. In other forums it has been suggested. Even with plunder icon " greying out" the player still can M/P lower age players. That would put the matter to rest. Good news the player i hate left the hood. Now i can produce goods and get back into the game. The game is supposed to be fun , instead of watching your account like a hawk so to speak.

DeletedUser10517

Agreed, Simple solution would be "greying out" plunder icon for players higher age than yours. By doing that, higher age player would not be able to plunder lower age players. The player would have to be same age or higher to be able to plunder. In other forums it has been suggested. Even with plunder icon " greying out" the player still can M/P lower age players. That would put the matter to rest. Good news the player i hate left the hood. Now i can produce goods and get back into the game. The game is supposed to be fun , instead of watching your account like a hawk so to speak.

The guy who is plundering you relentlessly is LOWER than you...........so it wouldnt solve a thing, would it??

Some players stay in one age for a long time building up their attack/defense GB's. There is no way to catch up and take revenge on them in the near future other than going higher in age to get better troops.

cbalto1927

Most players will use rogues.

Yes i realized that. I just started the game after July's summer event so missed out the rogues event i guess. Rouges and watchfires cant be obtained by normal means, this is why it would be harder to beat in defensive terms where you don't control the defense. The PC or AI decides the outcome of the battle. On the attack side that part is easy because the player controls that part. It would be more even if watch-fires and Rouges to be obtained in normal means and not limited to events only. You could be in bronze age with rouges. That's why that player will always have the advantage in defensive terms. I play this game for fun, that's all i wanted.

DeletedUser10076

yes cbalto you and the anti-plunderers are the rational ones.

DeletedUser10517

Yes i realized that. I just started the game after July's summer event so missed out the rogues event i guess. Rouges and watchfires cant be obtained by normal means, this is why it would be harder to beat in defensive terms where you don't control the defense. The PC or AI decides the outcome of the battle. On the attack side that part is easy because the player controls that part. It would be more even if watch-fires and Rouges to be obtained in normal means and not limited to events only. You could be in bronze age with rouges. That's why that player will always have the advantage in defensive terms. I play this game for fun, that's all i wanted.

Yes, but you cant "beat" him.....plus why would you want to bother?

Are you talking about having a good enough defence to stop him winning that fight...........or are you talking about being able to beat HIS defending army?

Whichever way round it is............you still have higher troops than he has..........and you cant beat him in either scenario. And it hasnt anything to do with Rogues.
Rogues are useful as ATTACKING troops......

Lets say you get some rogues tomorrow.....how would that help you??