• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Questions and non feedback comments about the Winter Event

Duncan Scotus

Event forced research, forcing a level up to a new Age. Then the Event demands units of my new age but having just entered the Future I cannot produce, my Alcatraz cannot produce, the Guild Expedition cannot produce and even the Auction can only deliver two of the five demanded, unless maybe diamonds are used to reload the Auction. Given that I am new to the Age even if I used the diamonds to buy Negotiation attempts I would not have the current Age goods. This is a trap, forcing players into positions where they have to use their diamonds to stay in play, and maybe not even then delivering a chance. Being unable to perform the Event task I am blocked from play with 4 days left in the Event. This is not for some enhanced benefit but for what should be basic normal play.

icarusethan

I thought after my long break folks in the forum would actually get better at playing this game, but i guess this kind of post just keeps popping up...

Johnny B. Goode

Maybe I'm just forgetful in my old age...no, that can't be it. Maybe you're confusing story quests or daily challenges with event quests...that's more likely. Because to my knowledge and experience, this event has never required researching a tech, and especially not in the last week or so. If it had, I'd have had to age up at least one of my cities...and I haven't had to.

Duncan Scotus

The following is part of a comment I made on a guild thread the last time I faced this trap. It strikes me that INNO is pushing towards more combative play and possibly with sloppy coding as the game becomes increasingly complex producing more logical traps.
-----
1) While FoE has remained a game with a healthy balance between city building and competition, where there is no risk of random destruction of one's efforts, INNO across multiple games enables and even induces behavior which is not just obsessive or competitive but destructive and trollish. While we have battles and plundering in FoE they are so far a minor element that does not unduly impair game play. If the game changes so that we had organized teams en masse plundering then I would quit.

2) INNO has today again made it impossible to play the Daily Challenge Quest without spending diamonds. I find that violation of there promise that while diamonds may be needed for enhanced play they need not be used for normal game participation. On a small level this would not necessitate spending real world money but still as a matter of priniple I will not participate in a Negotiation that can not be done without the use of diamonds and will not participate in a quest that does not offer an alternative, as in the past many have, to the use of diamonds.

Duncan Scotus

Maybe I'm just forgetful in my old age...no, that can't be it. Maybe you're confusing story quests or daily challenges with event quests...that's more likely. Because to my knowledge and experience, this event has never required researching a tech, and especially not in the last week or so. If it had, I'd have had to age up at least one of my cities...and I haven't had to.
You may be correct on that. If the level up was forced by the Story quest, or a side to that, then I should have noted that. It does not invalidate my point but is worth noting. Daily quests with complex negotiations are annoying but can be ignored. INNO however has tied them to the Event with the lock scheme. Not playing the Daily means not playing the Event.

icarusethan

Fortunately in that case the alternative was physically possible. In this case it is not.
okay, sir. Idc which age you are in, but I played this game since 2017 and took a break between 2019 summer until 6 days ago. I did all the events I could when I was playing. and I'm in FE now. You might be like, how that matters to any of the things we are discussing here?
I still have 4 techs not unlocked on earlier ages, and gonna end another one in FE once I advance into AF. Do you ever think about saving tech for events? if not then don't blame anyone for your failure and accuse Inno of setting up traps. You screwed up, period.

Graviton

2) INNO has today again made it impossible to play the Daily Challenge Quest without spending diamonds.

That's entirely subjective. No DC requires a player to spend diamonds, it depends on the state of your city. Many, many players complete every DC, every day, with no diamonds spent. No promises violated, no "logical traps" (whatever those are).

... as a matter of priniple I will not participate in a Negotiation that can not be done without the use of diamonds ...

No negotiations require the use of diamonds. Some might require you to give up and try them again, but none require diamonds.

... and will not participate in a quest that does not offer an alternative, as in the past many have, to the use of diamonds.

No DCs have ever offered alternatives.

I'm curious as to the response you received to that post from your guild.

Agent327

Event forced research, forcing a level up to a new Age. Then the Event demands units of my new age but having just entered the Future I cannot produce, my Alcatraz cannot produce, the Guild Expedition cannot produce and even the Auction can only deliver two of the five demanded, unless maybe diamonds are used to reload the Auction. Given that I am new to the Age even if I used the diamonds to buy Negotiation attempts I would not have the current Age goods. This is a trap, forcing players into positions where they have to use their diamonds to stay in play, and maybe not even then delivering a chance. Being unable to perform the Event task I am blocked from play with 4 days left in the Event. This is not for some enhanced benefit but for what should be basic normal play.

There is no quest in this Event that asks you to research a tech. Todays quest is to recruite 5 units OR complete a negotiation.

That you are in this situation has nothing to do with the event at all, but is your own doing. Nothing in this game ever "forces" you to do something.

DeletedUser

That's entirely subjective. No DC requires a player to spend diamonds, it depends on the state of your city. Many, many players complete every DC, every day, with no diamonds spent. No promises violated, no "logical traps" (whatever those are).

No negotiations require the use of diamonds. Some might require you to give up and try them again, but none require diamonds.

No DCs have ever offered alternatives.

I'm curious as to the response you received to that post from your guild.
Agree , agree and agree

Algona

INNO however has tied them to the Event with the lock scheme. Not playing the Daily means not playing the Event.

That's not quite right. The lockpicks work only on the Calendar minigame.

You can still play the rest of the Event.

The only impact the Calendar has on the rest of the Event is the Calendar Collection Reward requiring completing the entire Calendar.

Were you going to complete the Calendar?

Duncan Scotus

Agree , agree and agree
Disagree, multiple times. In the TOR it is possible after buying a fourth attempt in the Tavern to complete the low level negotiations. At that level it may even be logical to attempt again and hope that with three free attempts the negotiation will be successful. Personally at that level it makes more sense to me to simply switch to combat. However when there are only three free attempts and up to 7 goods in addition to the gold and supply offers then there is no way to complete the negotiation without using multiple attempts until there are no longer sufficient goods in inventory. If additional negotiation attempts were purchasable by means other than diamonds then it could be a fair choice. That still leaves the problem that the level of goods being negotiated is set to the player's Age and not their inventory. Newly leveled players will not have a current age goods inventory. As it is INNO has placed me in a position where with four days left I must exit the Event. That combines with a model that induces repetitive obsessive behavior to produce the opposite of the pleasant escape that I seek. It should be possible to offer the competitive combat elements for those who seek them while also offering a pleasant escape, and rewards that pay for INNO without blocking play for those who decline to P2P.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duncan Scotus

There is no quest in this Event that asks you to research a tech. Todays quest is to recruite 5 units OR complete a negotiation.

That you are in this situation has nothing to do with the event at all, but is your own doing. Nothing in this game ever "forces" you to do something.
The only conceivable ways to gain the units after just leveling up are by fighting through to level 3 in GE or in the Auction house. I got two in the Auction and could possibly gain more by paying with diamonds for the offerings to reload, with no guarantee they would appear. Neither is rational. The game punishes for leveling up, to a degree that stops play.

Agent327

The only conceivable ways to gain the units after just leveling up are by fighting through to level 3 in GE or in the Auction house. I got two in the Auction and could possibly gain more by paying with diamonds for the offerings to reload, with no guarantee they would appear. Neither is rational. The game punishes for leveling up, to a degree that stops play.

The game doesn't punish for levelling up. You punished yourself by doing it. Yopu were noty forced, so stop blaming others for bad decisions you made.

Duncan Scotus

When I started this is was a light diversion, the Daily was the Captain's steps and there were videos of Kurt and Thi in funny costumes telling bad jokes to laugh at. Then the world went to Hell and a diversion became more important. If it is however not fun and those running it are adversarial to the users then it does not work. I posted a problem here that is reasonable. The game, maybe in the Story line, pushes for an Age upgrade that makes it impossible to continue with the event. All the time spent up to then becomes a sunk cost. INNO should have made the Age demanded of the units or negotiation to satisfy the quest dependent on the player's capacity or built in some other work around, like a payment not in diamonds. The response I got was simply abusive.

Algona

As it is INNO has placed me in a position where with four days left I must exit the Event.

Nope. You placed yourself in that situation by advancing in Era mid Event. INNO didn't research that tech, you did.

The only conceivable ways to gain the units after just leveling up are by fighting through to level 3 in GE or in the Auction house.

Agreed. Giving up is your only option.

Aside from GBG, SBs that give current Era troops, Emissaries, or combining an RK/1up with a Champ's retreat and using your Alcoatraz?

The game punishes for leveling up, to a degree that stops play.

No. The game gives players choices.

Don't feel bad, though, you're not alone. This forum is littered with lots of experienced players just like you who make the twin mistakes of:

Mistakenly thinking INNO is responsible for the consequences of your decisions. You are.

Ranting, whining, crying, accusing, blaming anyone instead of asking for help.

Common mistakes. Neither helps players along except as examples of what not to do.