• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Simple Ask - Let Us Be Able to Close Levels Opened on GBs

La Marchessa

It's dumb to not be able to close up a level opened up by accident or newb excitement or whatever. What possible factor of gameplay is enhanced by not allowing a level to be opened and closed by its owner? (until FP have been placed of course, after that the option to close would not be available.)

A simple "Close level" button would do it.

Xenosaur

Maybe I'm old school, but there are things for the Product Management team to embrace and direct the engineering teams to investigate and fix as errors, and then there are idiosyncrasies in the game that indicate it's part of the games character and you have to learn.

This is the latter. Think first, ask questions, learn the game, then execute.

The fact it works this way, teaches FoE and the game culture. It's not an error, it's a feature of the game.

Have opportunistic people exploited how it works? - absolutely.

Have people countered that exploitation with the help of some erudite veteran players to thwart what that problem can do? Absolutely as well.

Again - executing the opening of (via having the BPs, and unlocking ...) too many levels above where you currently are working for investment, is a personal decision. Some don't care to be sniped, some do care.

This doesn't need an option implemented by Inno to reverse a poorly thought out or "newbie" error, IMHO.

There are so many other really important design considerations for the game that are critical to work on - this becomes just a "whimsical thought exercise"

PS: Yes conceptually, I want a "go back 1 move" in the Wildlife POPDROP game too, but I don't think it's something Inno's going to do either ...;)

Last edited:

qaccy

Guessing you had a GB at a decent level get flipped by a sniper, who then sniped the next level. This is the point where you learn not to unlock levels in advance anymore. There doesn't really need to be any option to undo level unlocks, because this would kinda be another instance of 'progressing backwards' which is something that Inno doesn't really design around. This is why we'll never see something like that often-requested age-down kit for buildings as well. It's counter to the game's design.

qaccy

@Mor-Rioghain For what it's worth, Inno's been trying different approaches to monetization in their various games. Rather than making sweeping changes to existing systems in FoE for example, they'll try new ideas in a completely different game. Elvenar and Rise of Cultures are games both developed by Inno as well, and both of them play very differently from FoE despite also being city-builders because all three are designed in different ways. But to Inno, all three are still their games - if a player doesn't really like one but does like another, any money that player spends is still going to them in the end. This approach makes sense because there isn't as much risk of alienating players by making significant changes to something that they thought they knew.

Emberguard

What possible factor of gameplay is enhanced by not allowing a level to be opened and closed by its owner?

Nothing wrong with there being consequence of action if that's intended to be within the game design. There's also nothing wrong with the idea of having the option to close (empty) levels if that were something the developers wanted to implement, but it's not that big of a issue if you were to open them ahead of time. Any losses from sniping is going to be minimal due to there being a limited amount of levels that would be negatively impacted from that.

Too much prevention of anything bad happening results in stunted growth, because then you end up trying to stay where you are instead of trying to move forward. Same with being able to erase mistakes as if they never happened. There are times in life when those things are appropriate, but when that's the focus it has a tendency to make people complacent to the point of stagnation.

It's precisely why in school the art teachers had a period of time where they told the students to not use the eraser. It's a tool, it does a job. But people tend to use it as the go-to to the point of either getting nothing done, or never learning how to improve because they're just not moving forward to the next step

La Marchessa

Nothing wrong with there being consequence of action if that's intended to be within the game design. There's also nothing wrong with the idea of having the option to close (empty) levels if that were something the developers wanted to implement, but it's not that big of a issue if you were to open them ahead of time. Any losses from sniping is going to be minimal due to there being a limited amount of levels that would be negatively impacted from that.

Too much prevention of anything bad happening results in stunted growth, because then you end up trying to stay where you are instead of trying to move forward. Same with being able to erase mistakes as if they never happened. There are times in life when those things are appropriate, but when that's the focus it has a tendency to make people complacent to the point of stagnation.

It's precisely why in school the art teachers had a period of time where they told the students to not use the eraser. It's a tool, it does a job. But people tend to use it as the go-to to the point of either getting nothing done, or never learning how to improve because they're just not moving forward to the next step

What I've noticed is that if you have stray levels opened, people will deposit fp there if they don't want to level your building - this irritates me no end. I like to keep levels closed for this and other reasons, but in my youthful folly as a newb I would sometimes open up a GB here or there sky high lol I don't know what i was thinking but occasionally I've had a GB with empty levels I want to button up and can't.

It's a simple, common sense thing and shouldn't even have to ask about it.

Karen Isaacsdottir

Maybe I'm old school, but there are things for the Product Management team to embrace and direct the engineering teams to investigate and fix as errors, and then there are idiosyncrasies in the game that indicate it's part of the games character and you have to learn.

This is the latter. Think first, ask questions, learn the game, then execute.

The fact it works this way, teaches FoE and the game culture. It's not an error, it's a feature of the game.

Have opportunistic people exploited how it works? - absolutely.

Have people countered that exploitation with the help of some erudite veteran players to thwart what that problem can do? Absolutely as well.

Again - executing the opening of (via having the BPs, and unlocking ...) too many levels above where you currently are working for investment, is a personal decision. Some don't care to be sniped, some do care.

This doesn't need an option implemented by Inno to reverse a poorly thought out or "newbie" error, IMHO.

There are so many other really important design considerations for the game that are critical to work on - this becomes just a "whimsical thought exercise"

PS: Yes conceptually, I want a "go back 1 move" in the Wildlife POPDROP game too, but I don't think it's something Inno's going to do either ...;)
It might be nice to see a owner-enableable tag on a GB being threaded, however.

Johnny B. Goode

What I've noticed is that if you have stray levels opened, people will deposit fp there if they don't want to level your building - this irritates me no end. I like to keep levels closed for this and other reasons, but in my youthful folly as a newb I would sometimes open up a GB here or there sky high lol I don't know what i was thinking but occasionally I've had a GB with empty levels I want to button up and can't.

It's a simple, common sense thing and shouldn't even have to ask about it.
It's actually not a simple thing. As @Sharmon the Impaler points out, the blueprints have to be adjusted. Unless you're willing to just say goodbye to a full set for "convenience".

I'm curious. Why would players putting FP on your open GBs irritate you? It's not like you have to look at them. In fact, you would have to seek them out just to be irritated by them. And every FP they put on one of your GBs means one less that you'll need to come up with if/when you decide to work on that GB. Common sense dictates that all free FP donations be welcomed, not discouraged. And since it was a "newb" problem for you, it won't keep happening. Problem solved for your future in the game. You're welcome. :)

Meat Butcher

Guessing you had a GB at a decent level get flipped by a sniper, who then sniped the next level. This is the point where you learn not to unlock levels in advance anymore. There doesn't really need to be any option to undo level unlocks, because this would kinda be another instance of 'progressing backwards' which is something that Inno doesn't really design around. This is why we'll never see something like that often-requested age-down kit for buildings as well. It's counter to the game's design.
Quoted for Truth !