• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Slowness

DeletedUser34480

Is anybody else experiencing a slowness this morning? For me, it's crawling (and I did restart computer :))/

DeletedUser

There was an update this morning, and there always seems to be a slow period while hardware/software adjusts to the new changes.

DeletedUser34480

Feels like something is wrong, but hopefully you're right. Thank you for letting know either way.

DeletedUser34480

Is there are chance they turned off Flash? I'm usually getting a warning when using it first time... haven't gotten one this morning.

DeletedUser34480

OK, I've troubleshooted it :)) HTML5 is activated by default. For whatever reasons, game is running awfully with it. Switched back to Flash, back to normal.

DeletedUser

OK, I've troubleshooted it :)) HTML5 is activated by default. For whatever reasons, game is running awfully with it. Switched back to Flash, back to normal.
From my experience and reports from others, there seems to be an adjustment period when switching from Flash to HTML5. After that adjustment period, the performance is comparable to the performance with Flash.

DeletedUser26660

HTML5 version is absolutely awful on my end. It's extremely slow and laggy even during during basic functions like adding FPs to GBs. GvG is a nightmare, keeps freezing up the whole computer. Switched back to Flash and much better now

100% agree, same here for me, I am also now unable to copy and paste in the guild threads, this has happened short while ago, anyone else experiencing the same?

DeletedUser

HTML5 version is absolutely awful on my end. It's extremely slow and laggy even during during basic functions like adding FPs to GBs. GvG is a nightmare, keeps freezing up the whole computer. Switched back to Flash and much better now
How long did you use HTML5 before you switched back? What browser are you using? I use Chrome, and HTML5 runs at least as well as Flash ever did. There was an adjustment period when I first switched over, but once I rode that out it has been fine. And Flash will be going away at some point, so switching back to it is at best a temporary solution.

Jase249

How long did you use HTML5 before you switched back? What browser are you using? I use Chrome, and HTML5 runs at least as well as Flash ever did. There was an adjustment period when I first switched over, but once I rode that out it has been fine. And Flash will be going away at some point, so switching back to it is at best a temporary solution.

I was using Chrome. Can you be more specific regarding the adjustment period? I tried it for a day or so until I just couldn't put up with it anymore and switched back.

I sincerely hope they will keep Flash available, because the game is virtually unplayable in HTML5 (at least for me) and I love this game. If Inno would provide some info regarding the required specs for optimal performance that would be helpful.

RazorbackPirate

I was using Chrome. Can you be more specific regarding the adjustment period? I tried it for a day or so until I just couldn't put up with it anymore and switched back.

I sincerely hope they will keep Flash available, because the game is virtually unplayable in HTML5 (at least for me) and I love this game. If Inno would provide some info regarding the required specs for optimal performance that would be helpful.
Did you clear your browser after switching? All your cookies, cached files, etc? If not, you've not really given it a try, you just gave it the opportunity to fail.

DeletedUser37581

In my experience - Windows 10 with Chrome browser - I find HTML5 to be equivalent to Flash in responsiveness. The HTML5 version uses more memory (starts at around 0.7 GB and continually climbs from there). With the game open all the time, memory usage will climb to well over 4 GB. If performance is an on-going problem, it could be that memory requirements are an issue.

DeletedUser26660

I have windows 10 and chrome, do I need to manually deselect flash?

DeletedUser

I switched as soon as HTML5 became available, so I cannot remember with accuracy a specific time frame. It was much less than a week, and I think this is a great suggestion should you try it again:
Did you clear your browser after switching? All your cookies, cached files, etc?
Also, this is just pie in the sky wishing...
I sincerely hope they will keep Flash available
...because Flash is on the way out and will become less and less efficient, performance-wise, as time goes on and it is without support.

Jase249

Did you clear your browser after switching? All your cookies, cached files, etc? If not, you've not really given it a try, you just gave it the opportunity to fail.

Yes, I did, without improvement. I should also point out that this has never been necessary before.

In my experience - Windows 10 with Chrome browser - I find HTML5 to be equivalent to Flash in responsiveness. The HTML5 version uses more memory (starts at around 0.7 GB and continually climbs from there). With the game open all the time, memory usage will climb to well over 4 GB. If performance is an on-going problem, it could be that memory requirements are an issue.

This is an excellent point that I wasn't aware of. It may be that going forward I'll have to constantly close and reload FoE to prevent this. It would be incredibly irritating but I suppose it is what it is :(

Flash is on the way out and will become less and less efficient, performance-wise, as time goes on and it is without support.

Yes, I'm accepting the fact that this is likely inevitable, which means my FoE days may be numbered :( I very much do not want this to be the case, and I hope they will find a way to work the bugs out. I can't imagine they would disable the Flash (working) version of the game until the HTML5 is fixed (since I'm clearly not the only one having a problem with it).

DeletedUser

I can't imagine they would disable the Flash (working) version of the game until the HTML5 is fixed (since I'm clearly not the only one having a problem with it).
HTML5 seems to work fine for players who ride out the adjustment period. I have had fewer problems with HTML5 than I ever had with Flash. Almost every player that complains about HTML5 goes back to Flash almost immediately instead of sticking with it, despite many players stating what I have said about it being at least comparable to Flash in performance once that adjustment period is done. As far as Flash going away, that's not something Inno really has control over, as it is a third party piece of software. Once support is gone for it, and it deteriorates to the point of being unusable or incompatible with newer software/features, it would be foolish for Inno to try to keep using it.

UBERhelp1

I sincerely hope they will keep Flash available,

Flash is going to be discontinued by 2020, and many browsers are planning to disable it by default soon. Flash is no longer needed, as it's features have become unnecessary, so it has been slowly dying.

Super Catanian

Flash is going to be discontinued by 2020, and many browsers are planning to disable it by default soon. Flash is no longer needed, as it's features have become unnecessary, so it has been slowly dying.
images