• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Snipping

RIGEL1

What is the ACTUAL definition of "snipping"? I'm getting different "points of view" on this based on the guild a player is joined with. And why does it only apply to the GB "ARC"?

PJS299

Sniping is putting less FP onto a building then the amount you will get back. Usually this involves locking your place, so you still get more FP back, but nobody can take your spot.

According to @jsc29 in his guide, "Sniping is contributing to GBs in such a way that you make a guaranteed profit."
Helpful sniping guide

The fandom says, "Sniping is the act of forcibly occupying a contribution spot on another player's GB by donating forge points in an amount considered less than the spot is valued. Or it may also be defined as forcibly overtaking another contributor by donating more than that player, but only enough forge points to prevent that player from taking the spot back."

FoE Guides says, "In my experience, the main idea and definition of sniping is to turn a profit on a GB lock once the GB levels. This means that you have invested FPs into a GB to secure a spot (so no one can pass you), and when the GB levels you will receive more FPs back than you have placed."
FoE Guides Sniping

All of these are correct, but slightly different. You don't need a level 80 Arc, but it is helpful to have.

Hope that helps!

Dominator - X

What is the ACTUAL definition of "snipping"? I'm getting different "points of view" on this based on the guild a player is joined with. And why does it only apply to the GB "ARC"?
Snipping is a typo or misspelling of sniping. The current definition of sniping is contributing unsolicited FPs to another persons GB, whether profitable, locked in or otherwise. It applies to any GB.

RichinZhills

Sniping does have several meanings to different players. And to be honest, the reward is just that, the reward. Nothing says that a player's Arc bonus has to be paid for a position. The 1.9 came about as a guild's way to help its members, friends & neighbors need not apply. But it's part of entitlement to say that everyone needs to apply the 1.9 or it's a snipe on my GB.
If the owner doesn't take steps to protect their own GB, it's not up to other players. It's the owner's choice to use swap threads that make P1 & P2 into very profitable positions. I've found that in 1.9 I hardly get sniped at all. There's no way to do so without the sniper opening themselves up to being sniped. It's when someone just throws fps at a GB hoping to land a position that things get a little screwed up.
Okay, yes, the Arc at level 30 becomes snipeable as soon as it's unlocked, and there are a few others that are like that. But again, the owner can get 3-5 guildmates together to take P1-3 and power-level them through the zone. A bit more work, but hey, if you don't want to be sniped, you take precautions.
As a general rule, I leave friends & guildmates GB's alone. The neighborhood has always been there for anything, aiding, pillaging, sniping, attacking, or befriending.

Dude Laffalot

sniping seems to have a bad name, nothing wrong with making a profit off of some ones GB, we all prosper this way. To me the only bad part about it is if you take a spot for less than face value on a friends GB, when you have the opportunity to pay to whole amount. Example spot is for 100 FP and you get it for 75, we ought not do a friend that way, go ahead and give the full 100 . Some people dont like it but why complain when your are getting free FP ?

Only contribute to a guildmates GB when its posted in a thread, unless there is an agreement.

Sniping is putting less FP onto a building then the amount you will get back. Usually this involves locking your place, so you still get more FP back, but nobody can take your spot.
Most of what you say is correct, but this is not.

All of my Arcs are between level 95 and 105, which means that in a 1.9 thread, I frequently make a profit. This is not sniping as I am contributing the expected amount.

rule number one in sniping. DONT SNIPE FRIENDS sheesh
This is not a universal rule. Don't snipe Guildmates is much more standard, although there may be guilds which don't care what members do in this regard.

But I know a number of players who organize their Friends Lists around the idea that their friends are there to be sniped. I don't do this myself, but some people do. And I have certainly had people on my Friends list TRY to snipe me, always with bad results for them, as I prime my buildings carefully and the only way to lock a position is to pay 1.9.

Dominator - X

Don't snipe Guildmates is much more standard, although there may be guilds which don't care what members do in this regard.
I belonged to a guild that allowed sniping of members who only used non 1.X swap threads, and included self levelers. It was my idea based on the fact that many of them were being sniped by neighbors. The reasoning: why let enemies get the profit, when a friendly guild mate was willing and able? I only had 1 objection to this policy, but it was from someone who did not understand how it did not hurt them and they did not have to reimburse the FPs. They were free, unlike the ones he swapped. Not one other person objected, even the regular contributors, since it was open to everyone in the guild.

Just An Observer

I never snipe the Neighbors but I do level their GB's for profit. Sniping means you are on the other person's clock and most Neighbors are quite slow to level up when they are down the rankings list. Those who are higher do 1.9 right and that makes sniping untenable. Besides, I like to bring in good active Neighbors to replace those who go inactive on my Friends list.

Frostblade

The original name for "sniping" is contributing, and the original name for "profit" is contribution reward,
But once upon some dudes got upset by contributions and changed these nice names to give them bad image lol

Last edited:

Emberguard

The original name for "sniping" is contributing, and the original name for "profit" is contribution reward,
But once upon some dudes got upset by contributions and changed these nice names to give them bad image lol
Yeah, if someone says you sniped it basically means your contribution has a conflict of interest with what another person wants.

Nothing wrong with that if you weren’t working together. Every person has a conflict of interest with any person that wants the spot. The reward is there for whoever puts in the work

UP ONLINE

won't happen to much if you play smart.
only lock 1-2 spots
And try to make that spot 2X so others can't make a profit from it

Sharmon the Impaler

Snipping means to cut or snip a usually smaller section off a larger object such as paper or a wire. Sniping is a term used in combat in which a hidden or otherwise unseen asset will ambush an opponent with a rifle shot and neutralize it without directly engaging in open combat.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Snipping means to cut or snip a usually smaller section off a larger object such as paper or a wire. Sniping is a term used in combat in which a hidden or otherwise unseen asset will ambush an opponent with a rifle shot and neutralize it without directly engaging in open combat.
xD Both of which are somewhat fitting