• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Standard Orientation

DeletedUser34548

spTYqST.jpg

A handicap of isometric games is that there is no convenient, unambiguous way to express directions in words. I see some FoE posters struggle but the majority assume the convention shown here.

Recommend any post depending on orientation cite this post, thereafter use common cardinal directions, and be done with it.

Cite using:

[url=https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/standard-orientation.22279/]This post uses Standard Orientation.[/url]

This post uses Standard Orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34548

Discussion

Directions given only in words are difficult. Nobody appreciates how difficult until they try. I can say "go that way" and point with my finger; easy. I can show a map and say "follow High Street North", also easy. Not so easy to say "begin at Town Hall door, look to your left, and follow the next cross street by turning left again". It's doubly confusing in a game, in which it's physically impossible for a player to align his body left with the left of a tiny cartoon man exiting an imaginary doorway.

Showing a map with a compass rose is easiest, in a written essay. In other contexts it may be irrelevant and, if orientation is unimportant, a compass rose plainly is useless.

The orientation here illustrated has been used by many FoE forum posters, not usually with explict definition. My belief is that it predominates because most buildings are drawn facing S; that is, they appear most natural when built on the N side of an E-W road, with their doors facing the street.

A pair of small decos, labeled by Inno devs as East and West, conform to this frame of reference. I am indebted to Hootengoben for this good notice.

I recommend this orientation and provide an illustration to define it as a tool, for use by those who find it useful. It is not a proposal for any alteration to the game nor a rule to be imposed on forum posters. Certainly those who chat casually are always free to do as they like.

I provide a copy-and-paste link to this thread for easy use by those who wish. In contexts where a clickable link is cumbersome or impossible, a simple name is available: Standard Orientation.

The use case that caught my eye and provoked me to undertake was a detailed argument that a game city's roads should, as far as possible, all run E-W: that a significant advantage is available over N-S roads. I have, in my limited experiments, seen this assertion justified.

If anyone wishes to criticize my illustration, which is my only real contribution here, I am willing to do over. It is no trouble. Please tell me in which ways it is incomplete or unclear. At the time I thought of adding many things but decided to keep it simple.

As a gift to those whose efforts to explode this thread are not lost on their butt, let me offer the racist joke you did not think to throw my way: Only an Oriental would worry about Orientation!

Like all such nasty jokes, this one is on the teller: "orientation" means "finding East".

Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:

Algona

Using only words, tell me how to get to the post office in your town. Actually do this now.

HereshowtogetfromAlgonacityhalltotheAuburnPostOfficeFromAlgonacityhallstepoutthemaindoorturnleftontoWardeturnleftontoMilwaukeeturnleftontoEllingsonturnleftontpCtyrnrightontoThirdNWPostOfficewillbeontheleft

Sorry, I know you asked Lord Muggie, but i couldn't resist. Next time can I use punctuation and white marks?

To be honest, I can't tell you how to get there, I don't know where you are and technically there isn't a Post Office in my town.

Why the 'Using only words' thingie? What else do you need or would you use aside from words (and punctuation and white marks for readability) to tell someone directions?

DeletedUser34548

It's difficult for me to explain this because it's obvious to me. You don't see it because you will not attempt the exercise seriously.

I am in your town at a real place you know well. Pick another place you know and tell me how to get there, where it is, or even in which direction it lies. Actually do this, right here in forum. See how far you get and where you get stuck.

Then, I think it'll be obvious.

Woody*

Nice job X. This is already how I describe directions, although it's far from the standard. I also use "rows" to describe your East-West and "columns" for your North-South. IMO, this would be a lot better standard for the community to adapt than the unfair trade calculator many mistake for being fair.

Algona

It's difficult for me to explain this because it's obvious to me. You don't see it because you will not attempt the exercise seriously.

I am in your town at a real place you know well. Pick another place you know and tell me how to get there, where it is, or even in which direction it lies. Actually do this, right here in forum. See how far you get and where you get stuck.

Then, I think it'll be obvious.

Au contraire, I took the exercise seriously giving you exactly what you demanded. I told you exact directions using only words that will lead you from my town hall to the post office that services my town. it ain't my fault you didn't take my response seriously and recognize a legitimate response to your demand. Maybe the same thing that makes it difficult for you to explain the obvious keeps you from phrasing your exercises to produce the results you are looking for?

You didn't answer my questions:

Why the 'Using only words' thingie? What else do you need or would you use aside from words (and punctuation and white marks for readability) to tell someone directions?

Darth Mole

I'm not sure of the purpose of this thread. Are you suggesting that when referring to own own or someone elses town we use your 'Standard Orientation' ?
If sdo I really can't see the point. Never have I had to explain to anyone where a particular building is in anything more complicated that it's in the bottom left of your city next to the Alchemist for example.

When, pray tell, might I need to say - well you proceed East from x until you get to y and then go N until you get to y then turn east again until such n such.

I just don't get it at all. Please explain further without using post offices.

DeletedUser29218

It is quite simple. When you are talking about someone's city you can use the words "rows" and "colums" instead of "roads that go from bottom left to top right", which is shorter and less confusing too. But you can't do that if people haven't agreed about what's horitzontal and what is vertical.

DeletedUser32009

I honestly don't get this. I didn't get the post about mobile verses browser either.
I dont have a post office :/
Hopefully someday I will have so many expansions I need to give directions, but alas Inno thinks I have enough.

DeletedUser34548

It is quite simple. When you are talking about someone's city you can use the words "rows" and "colums" instead of "roads that go from bottom left to top right", which is shorter and less confusing too. But you can't do that if people haven't agreed about what's horitzontal and what is vertical.

You are correct but I might quibble with "simple".

In the space of a few offhand posts, we have jointly introduced the terms:
  • North, South, East, West
  • Topright, Topleft, Bottomright, Bottomleft
  • Rows, Columns
  • Horizontal, Vertical
Those four frames of reference will, to any one person, correspond in one particular obvious way. However, there is every reason to suspect any two people will not agree.

Worse, none of these frames are tied to one's ingame city! You may be just as sure as pigs in a blanket; but no. I have had 30 years' experience in isometric, or 2.5D, gaming... and nongame engineering. I promise, someone will be disoriented. Practice seeing through other eyes; it's revealing.

I do strongly suggest that debate for debate's sake is wasted air. The convention shown in the image is most widely used now. It is not mine; I only urge its adoption.

DeletedUser34548

Urge away but really you're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm solving a problem that is not apparent to you. Others do see; I can't explain it more clearly.

Try directions to the post office... without pointing your finger. If you don't try, you won't understand.

Algona

Almost no game experience. Less then a month on the forum Talks to people who have been gone for a year. Writes Guides on a game played for a couple weeks. Solves problems that don't exist or have already been addressed. Now wants people to give directions to post office. T

tucker and now you.

I asked Alexa for directions to the post office. She answered without pointing fingers, but the answer was really odd. Meatballs are better with less red bear meat.

Did someone paint LSD on my keyboard?