• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Swap threads and Etiquette question

• Thread starter DeletedUser31498
  • Start date

DeletedUser29623

I dunno, my guild is so small that I really don’t mind if I don’t get rewards on some GBs. It’s not like I lose anything, since it’s a swap. I’m more annoyed by people who put a GB in the swap threads until it’s half leveled then just leave it that way for weeks and weeks.

DeletedUser27184

I wonder what you think on the following:
I just put a Cape level 10 through the guild swaps. All 5 spots are now locked by guild player who swapped with me, but still I need 50FP more to level.
Do you think that I can put it on the guild swaps, since they took all 5 places, or should i just fill it myself, as there is no spot open?

DeletedUser31440

I just put a Cape level 10 through the guild swaps. All 5 spots are now locked by guild player who swapped with me, but still I need 50FP more to level.
Do you think that I can put it on the guild swaps, since they took all 5 places, or should i just fill it myself, as there is no spot open?

IMHO, if you have put the GB in the swap threads up to that point you can keep it in the swap threads. The players that have the reward spots most likely aren't locked into them and there can be movement between the reward spots with the last 50 fp's, even if there isn't I still don't see an issue with it since the rest of the level's fp's have been received through swap threads. When someone does direct swaps to lock up the reward spots and then puts the GB in the swap threads to finish up is the thorny issue for me at least.

DeletedUser29623

I have no problem with helping to level up a building for which I've locked a reward. You don't get the reward until it levels, after all, and once again: you're not out any fp because it's a swap, so what difference does it make?

DeletedUser31498

Right that to me is the clearest case of absolutely not using the swap thread. It should be the onus of the 5 contributors (or yourself obviously, however you all work it out) to level it.

Obviously your use of the swap thread in this case allows you to possibly gain from spending 50 FPs, while not allowing anyone else to. That dichotomy to me is what makes it bad etiquette.

----
I'm an idiot and misread, correction below..

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27889

I think it would depend on the size of the guild. If it's a very small guild then putting a GB with no slots but upward mobility would mean a higher likelihood of one of the 1-5 contributors seeing and taking the swap. If however it's a medium/large guild then it would clog up the threads waiting for someone from your 1-5 to grab it. Or, someone taking it at a knowing loss to them to keep the threads moving.

However, I am much more understanding of a guildmate who has used swap threads to fill all positions and then kept putting it on to the end than I would be with someone that filled the slots in private swaps then threw it on the boards to polish it off.

DeletedUser31498

I think it would depend on the size of the guild. If it's a very small guild then putting a GB with no slots but upward mobility would mean a higher likelihood of one of the 1-5 contributors seeing and taking the swap. If however it's a medium/large guild then it would clog up the threads waiting for someone from your 1-5 to grab it. Or, someone taking it at a knowing loss to them to keep the threads moving.

However, I am much more understanding of a guildmate who has used swap threads to fill all positions and then kept putting it on to the end than I would be with someone that filled the slots in private swaps then threw it on the boards to polish it off.

Oh to be clear, I think if someone has used swap threads for 100% of the levelling to that point, it's fine to add it even if everything is set? I think I misunderstood earlier, whoops!! I mean else you're being punished for other people gobbling it up, which doesn't really seem fair to the poster?

When @jobu523 said: "All 5 spots are now locked by guild player who swapped with me" I thought he meant through personal swap agreements, not guild FP swap thread (basically what Manda was saying above that is definitely not ok).

Yeah so I totally change my answer...

DeletedUser27889

When @jobu523 said: "All 5 spots are now locked by guild player who swapped with me" I thought he meant through personal swap agreements, not guild FP swap thread (basically what Manda was saying above that is definitely not ok).
Actually upon re-read it is quite possible I am the one who misunderstood in thinking it to be swap threads and not private swaps with guildmates. In that case I am in complete agreement with you.

I think we have the exact same opinion, just two different interpretations of the question and either could be correct.

DeletedUser29623

In a small guild you also have a greater interest in the other members leveling up. If you don't get a position on this level, you will probably get it in the next one, and so on.

DeletedUser31498

New situation. Joined a new guild, and "The Sniper" was readily apparent within a couple hours. Anyway, a week in my Arc has 1k/1200. He has 55 in, someone has 400, and a friend put on 100 who currently is in 2nd. Rewards are 50 for second place.

The Sniper messaged me, asking to donate the ~120 FPs to lock up 2nd so someone in the guild gets the rewards, and that I could then pay him back the 120 he put on. I played dumb, saying I don't have enough FPs and don't want to owe anyone, but then he said something and I got mad.

Obviously, he's taking advantage of someone he thinks is stupid (@Stephen Longshanks maybe he's right!!?), and tried to convince me that his 120 FPs should be paid back with 120 FPs (he also has 50% Arc rewards).

This upset me on a number of levels, so I basically went off on him. He said it's a common practice, ask someone else to verify.

Thoughts?

DeletedUser32389

New situation. Joined a new guild, and "The Sniper" was readily apparent within a couple hours. Anyway, a week in my Arc has 1k/1200. He has 55 in, someone has 400, and a friend put on 100 who currently is in 2nd. Rewards are 50 for second place.

The Sniper messaged me, asking to donate the ~120 FPs to lock up 2nd so someone in the guild gets the rewards, and that I could then pay him back the 120 he put on. I played dumb, saying I don't have enough FPs and don't want to owe anyone, but then he said something and I got mad.

Obviously, he's taking advantage of someone he thinks is stupid (@Stephen Longshanks maybe he's right!!?), and tried to convince me that his 120 FPs should be paid back with 120 FPs (he also has 50% Arc rewards).

This upset me on a number of levels, so I basically went off on him. He said it's a common practice, ask someone else to verify.

Thoughts?

I'm straight up with people like this. If he's proposing a 120 fp trade (the number he needs) what do you get in return? Does he have a building that 120 points secures you returns on? I think of these things when I ask people for favors. He put the first part up in the swaps, now he wants a clean lock and he's offering nothing in return. I'm all for helping out the guild, but he's being selfish and he knows it.
About the FP trade though, it is practice to trade 1:1 even though one person has an Arc that will net them more rewards than the other. That's his investment. What he should have done was offer you a spot to lock in return

DeletedUser31592

That sounds similar to an offer someone made me a few weeks ago. I had just aged into IA maybe 2 or so weeks prior, so I was self-leveling GBs prior to that, since I couldn't participate in swaps. He offered to lock 1st on my GB and I could put the FPs on one of his buildings- that were no where close to leveling. He would have gotten about 75% back in rewards, I would have been set up to get 0 back in rewards. I'm sure he finds idiots to take his offer. I didn't even respond to his offer. (This was in Yorkton, so neither of us had Arcs.)

DeletedUser

Thoughts?
I was in a small guild for a while on Noarsil where they were leveling each others' Arcs up in turn. Once in a while, one of the rest of us would be able to get either 4th or 5th spot. When we did, they always repaid exactly what we put in. I never asked them to, they actually would specifically send a direct message asking where we would like to repaid. So, since you just joined this guild, it might be common practice with them. I would ask the guild leadership about it. (But if they say that's the way they want it done, I'd find another guild pronto. Doing it voluntarily is fine, but it shouldn't be forced. In my humble opinion. LOL)

DeletedUser31498

I was in a small guild for a while on Noarsil where they were leveling each others' Arcs up in turn. Once in a while, one of the rest of us would be able to get either 4th or 5th spot. When we did, they always repaid exactly what we put in. I never asked them to, they actually would specifically send a direct message asking where we would like to repaid. So, since you just joined this guild, it might be common practice with them. I would ask the guild leadership about it. (But if they say that's the way they want it done, I'd find another guild pronto. Doing it voluntarily is fine, but it shouldn't be forced. In my humble opinion. LOL)

Right, I mean he pays in 120 FPs, gets back 75 or so in rewards, and expects me to pay him 120? Plus his medals/BPs? It's a big guild of 60+ people, top 15 too. I'll message the Admins, just wanted to double-check if this was worth raising a stink about.

DeletedUser32389

Right, I mean he pays in 120 FPs, gets back 75 or so in rewards, and expects me to pay him 120? Plus his medals/BPs? It's a big guild of 60+ people, top 15 too. I'll message the Admins, just wanted to double-check if this was worth raising a stink about.

Just another two cents: I wouldn't write anyone about it. People can offer bad deals, maybe if he really got out of line about it... This bad deal isn't horrible, you come out even (you get nothing). That's kinda a favor. You should be able to just say no if you want and that's the end of it

DeletedUser

Just another two cents: I wouldn't write anyone about it. People can offer bad deals, maybe if he really got out of line about it... This bad deal isn't horrible, you come out even (you get nothing). That's kinda a favor. You should be able to just say no if you want and that's the end of it
The reason I suggested that he message the guild leader(s) is because the guy says it's "common practice". If it was a one time thing I would have just said blow him off, but if it's an ongoing expectation of either this player or the guild as a whole, it is best to find out now before @gutmeister invests too much time/energy/resources in the guild.

DeletedUser32389

The reason I suggested that he message the guild leader(s) is because the guy says it's "common practice". If it was a one time thing I would have just said blow him off, but if it's an ongoing expectation of either this player or the guild as a whole, it is best to find out now before @gutmeister invests too much time/energy/resources in the guild.
This is a good point.
But if they say that's the way they want it done, I'd find another guild pronto.
And so is this.

Me, I try not to make waves. If this stuff represents the guild culture though, I'm out

DeletedUser29218

I dunno, my guild is so small that I really don’t mind if I don’t get rewards on some GBs. It’s not like I lose anything, since it’s a swap.

I've heard the same sentence in several comments, but that's simply incorrect. If you are "swapping" a position that awards 100fp for one that doesn't give rewards, you are losing something in between 100 to 190fp (might be more in some cases)).