• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Rival Quest during Wildlife Event is wildly difficult and costs too many diamonds.

A big thumbs down to this Rival Quest Line for the Wildlife Event!
The quest line is impossible to complete without purchasing many additional tickets. Even if one were foolish enought to spend the Diamonds for the needed tickets, what is the reward? 3 Golden Tickets. Nothing tangible for our cities, just raising the bar for the various League cut-offs.
And we have 2 more of these to look forward to as well. Thanks for insulting us Inno.

xivarmy

I would rather spend diamonds from the ones I win in the game to make sure I get the main flamingo building than play a super annoying rival questline! I don't like to spend my diamonds on annoying events like this one either lol I also don't care about the animal crossing upgrade-I can build unlimited autumn vineyards from the grape stompin festival and those give out more red attack than the gold level animal crossing and I refuse to place buildings primarily for city defense stats!
Then do so! Noone's forcing you to do the rival questline. Personally I enjoy this one.

I found the GE one a little irksome (easy but annoyed i was "forced" to rush GE). And the St Pat's one on beta is absolutely awful - completing it as it stands is 100% a trap (waste of event currency whether you want to spend diamonds or not) and you should just do what you were going to do anyways.

But this one was fun for me :) Even in the original version on beta when it asked for more and I think it was actually kinda necessary to spend a little diamonds, I thought it was fine. In its current state, it's possible to do 1-2 of the 3 lines without diamonds even ("the board not cooperating" is quite plausible in the short-term, but highly unlikely across many boards if you play the game well). And even without planning, you should be walking away with some portion of the rival rewards *for free*.

jaymoney23456

Then do so! Noone's forcing you to do the rival questline. Personally I enjoy this one.

I found the GE one a little irksome (easy but annoyed i was "forced" to rush GE). And the St Pat's one on beta is absolutely awful - completing it as it stands is 100% a trap (waste of event currency whether you want to spend diamonds or not) and you should just do what you were going to do anyways.

But this one was fun for me :) Even in the original version on beta when it asked for more and I think it was actually kinda necessary to spend a little diamonds, I thought it was fine. In its current state, it's possible to do 1-2 of the 3 lines without diamonds even ("the board not cooperating" is quite plausible in the short-term, but highly unlikely across many boards if you play the game well). And even without planning, you should be walking away with some portion of the rival rewards *for free*.
Its just not credible to claim that anyone but the very lucky have much chance to complete 1 let alone 3 rival questlines without spending diamonds and or buying the pass which gives out additional extra tickets-maybe you could do 1 of them with just those tickets -would be close I think but maybe.

jaymoney23456

Its just not credible to claim that anyone but the very lucky have much chance to complete 1 let alone 3 rival questlines without spending diamonds and or buying the pass which gives out additional extra tickets-maybe you could do 1 of them with just those tickets -would be close I think but maybe.
Also how can it be fun to have to do a task like buy extra turns 3 times. It is likely that you don't have a board that you would want to do that on when the quest comes up?? This is just one example. Being forced to pop 6 stars of a specific color is not something anyone would focus on in the normal course of playing the minigame and don't see how it would be fun, annoying yes, but fun, I don't think so

xivarmy

I think it's likely that you just aren't very good at the minigame if you feel that way.

It's like when a non-poker-player claims poker is "just a game of luck". Sure there's elements of random chance and winning 1 hand is primarily luck. But across many hands better players win more, consistently.

I didn't claim you could finish all 3 for free easily. I claimed finishing 1 for free is easy. And 2 should be viable. I think all 3 rivals is a stretch without diamonds. But you don't necessarily *need* to finish all 3 (or even 1) if you're just trying to complete the event's main prize. They're like extras on top, but worth doing what you can as they provide extra event currency for doing things you'd mostly do anyways.

Also how can it be fun to have to do a task like buy extra turns 3 times. It is likely that you don't have a board that you would want to do that on when the quest comes up?? This is just one example. Being forced to pop 6 stars of a specific color is not something anyone would focus on in the normal course of playing the minigame and don't see how it would be fun, annoying yes, but fun, I don't think so
3 (or 4 for task #32) sets of extra turns isn't that fun on its own no - just a matter of saving coins. But it's fine.

But 6 stars of one of two specific colors, yup that's fun! It's not usually a focus, but it's not harmful either. it usually just means making an effort to make an extra move to link up 2 groups that I would've popped separately. Since I find the game quite simple (particularly since the version with only 4 colors at a time), having something extra to pay attention to is nice. I can usually get 3-4 6* of one of the colors off 1 ticket. I did manage the 5 6* of one of two colors in a single ticket on my first world though for #31 - that gave a good endorphin hit! Took some luck though. The 2nd world I needed 2 tickets to finish that task (and a change of which color i was focused on between tickets) - still fun!

planetofthehumans2

As acknowledged in the post you just quoted, I think some skill and luck will be needed to do all 3 rival lines. But that isn't necessarily a problem - if you don't *need* to do all 3 to complete the event. Which I haven't done the math on.
It's not need, I just wanted to know if the strat of saving your tasks would only work on the first one and a half or if you might be able to manage all three.

xivarmy

It's not need, I just wanted to know if the strat of saving your tasks would only work on the first one and a half or if you might be able to manage all three.
It'd take some luck/skill.

You have ~20 quest tickets total. Maybe 18 of which are available by the time of the last rival.

If you need 6 or less extras per rival line (beyond having 3-4 ready at start + the ones your regen or earn over the rival line), you can do all 3. But that's on the somewhat low end in my experience - possible, but perhaps quite fortunate to only need that many all 3 times.

If you need 7-9 extras per rival line you can do 2 without diamonds and probably a "half" off stockpile at start + regen. This seems reasonably conservative to me.

If you need more than 10+ extras per rival line you'll probably only get through 1 full one (and probably 2 "halves")

I think I could probably do all 3 if I burned my golden tickets at the right time during rivals. But as you really want to be fast during the golden tickets so as not to waste them you would want to have in mind what the plan was for multiple quests during your golden ticket and move move move. Preferably use them in sections where you just need big pop counts and not to carefully game out exactly-4* chests or to buy extra turns (waste of time during golden).

Pericles the Lion

You must not be trying to end up in one of the higher Leagues because creating, and collecting, chests is the best way to earn points towards league progress. The more stars on the chest the more points earned.

Pericles the Lion

I finished Rival on the two worlds where I'm playing the Event. No diamonds spent on one, 100 farmed diamonds spent on the other (I was on the "motivate 30 players" rush quest that would not complete in time to collect the coins). The first round of Rival was easy for me because I was prepared (thanks @UBERhelp1). I think round two will be more of a challenge because of scarcer resources. Round three will need lots more diamonds to complete.

1706178338163.png

Pericles the Lion

I could make up a chart too if I wanted to act like I was full of it. Doesn't prove anything and you can't make anything like this work if the board doesn't cooperate. Nice try though. Keep it up and maybe someone will give you a gold star!
You are disrespecting @UBERhelp1, a player that, most will agree, is one of the top contributors to the FOE knowledge base. Save yourself some time. You don't need to make up a chart to act like you are "full of it".

Wwwoodchuck

You are disrespecting @UBERhelp1, a player that, most will agree, is one of the top contributors to the FOE knowledge base. Save yourself some time. You don't need to make up a chart to act like you are "full of it".
Lots of discussion for Rival and against Rival! Productive discussion is a good thing. We seem to be entering the mudslinging area of discussion, which is not productive.

TLDR: While it is possible for those that are prepared, and lucky, to complete things like Rival quests, they will be in the minority. I have no idea of the user numbers here, or on Beta forum, or the content creator sites, but I would be wiling to go out on a limb and say that a majority of the game players do not have a clue they even exist, nor care if they exist. They would just like to play a game.

And now, the rest of the story.

I believe something like the Rival quests are not for the members who do their due diligence and read the forums, are possibly on Beta, follow Uber, Mooingcat.. These people will know what events are in the future and keep up on how to handle them. Things like Rival are for the multitude of other users who do not keep up with the forums, Beta, follow Uber, Mooingcat… And, judging by the time and expense Inno has spent on developing them, they are functioning as expected.

If things like Rival were not profitable, Inno would not be doing them. That would mean that enough players will spend diamonds to accomplish them to pay for the development time and add to the profit margin. The same would go for the power LEAP we have seen happening in the game over the past…. Year or more. I believe… don’t quote this faulty old man’s memory here… But I believe it started with the Mountain Reserve. It was the first building with two military bonuses – Even though this is NOT a military battle game. Then, the Tower of Conjunction came along with a huge boost in military (even though this is not a military battle game) AND, the ability to gather “Fragments” from a building, to put up another building.

Inno tested the waters there and it must have worked as we have fragments for just about everything now as well as fragments to make buildings to make fragments to make other buildings with!

So while Inno does give something for the I want a challenge folks, it gives more to the what the heck is this folks! And the what the heck folks, knowing no better, will just simply pay to complete things like Rival as they do not know if it is an option or not.

Last edited:

Wwwoodchuck

I went and looked at the official announcement. It does not mention Rival quests are optional and the wording, to me, makes it seem as they ARE part of the event requirements of the event:

“During this year's Wildlife Event you will also have the chance to participate in three additional Mini Challenges throughout the event. In those challenges you will be able to win boosters, coins and (golden) tickets for the event!”

Were I just a casual user, I would pay to complete these as I would only know what I gather from the official announcements. Boosters, coins and Golden tickets are event currency, the Rival does not give anything different or unusual. I would have no reason to look elsewhere for further explanation of how the event works, why should I? I would expect my beloved company that puts out the event to fully explain how that event works.

Pericles the Lion

I went and looked at the official announcement. It does not mention Rival quests are optional and the wording, to me, makes it seem as they ARE part of the event requirements of the event:

“During this year's Wildlife Event you will also have the chance to participate in three additional Mini Challenges throughout the event. In those challenges you will be able to win boosters, coins and (golden) tickets for the event!”
Strictly speaking, everyone should know that that the Events, themselves, are optional. This makes any component of an event optional. I think you mean that you read that the Rival quests are somehow necessary to successfully complete the main Event. The announcement said that we will have "the chance" to participate" in the mini challenges. I don't think that this implies that the mini challenges are required. Also, this isn't the first time that an Event came with mini challenges (remember Psycho Pete in the pre-2023 Halloween events?)
Were I just a casual user, I would pay to complete these as I would only know what I gather from the official announcements. Boosters, coins and Golden tickets are event currency, the Rival does not give anything different or unusual. I would have no reason to look elsewhere for further explanation of how the event works, why should I? I would expect my beloved company that puts out the event to fully explain how that event works.
I don't really now what defines a "casual user" but, presuming that you are not a casual user, how can you say what a casual user will, or won't, do?

Jakobi007

Well damn it lol. I did not notice the Rival was for a limited time and was sitting on 2 event tickets for a better daily and woke up to see it was gone.

Wwwoodchuck

"I don't really now what defines a "casual user""

I apologize for your confusion with the “casual user” reference. Perhaps that was a poor choice of words on my part. I would have it refer to a user who does not know or use this forum, content creators or any other outside source of information about the game.

Strictly speaking, everyone should know that that the Events, themselves, are optional. This makes any component of an event optional. I think you mean that you read that the Rival quests are somehow necessary to successfully complete the main Event.
Some members who use this forum do not appreciate when a comment makes a reference to what “everyone” or “casual users” should or should not know or do. And no, I am not going to seek out quotes on that, but perhaps there is one very close at hand to cover it. The same would apply to taking liberties with what another posters comments mean or do not mean. If the meaning was unclear, ask and hopefully the original poster will clarify!

The announcement said that we will have "the chance" to participate" in the mini challenges. I don't think that this implies that the mini challenges are required.
It also states in the same comment you quoted from the announcement that they were “additional Mini Challenges”. It is unclear if they are part of the original event or not. The question not answered would be “in addition to what?” They do give the chance to win rewards that are contained in the original event and used to complete the original event (hammer, Leafy Line, Lightning). If they were optional or part of a different event, would they have the same rewards, or different set of rewards? I do not recall the terminology for the rewards for completing the event quest steps or are they themselves mini challenges? The ones in the ‘Mini Challenge” in question are also contained in the event. The statement could be interpreted either way as there is much overlap.

Also, this isn't the first time that an Event came with mini challenges (remember Psycho Pete in the pre-2023 Halloween events?)
Thank you for the reminder of that. I am old and have difficulty remembering current events such as why I went into another room, much less one that took place more than few minutes ago.

I don't really now what defines a "casual user" but, presuming that you are not a casual user, how can you say what a casual user will, or won't, do?
You are correct! Yet as I slow down my time with the game open, I will soon be what I would consider a “casual user” of an Inno product. And a F2P one recently also! I will be someone who does not follow any content creators or use the forums. I will occasionally, or casually open the game and take things at face value.

[EDIT] My multi-quote skills are severely lacking. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

jaymoney23456

Is it not disrespectful to all the players who dislike the rival and understand that it is anything but easy to continually boast about how easy it supposedly is? Reading the forums here and on Beta plus talking to other players in the game and its clear that the vast majority do not share the opinion that it is an easy questline.

Ebeondi Asi

This Rival also gives a Alligator 1 and upgrade. The upgrade is hidden until you collect it.
I did three sets/three Worlds. No big deal. Did not take very long either. I spent money.

If you're poor, better to eat than do the Rival** .If you're just cheap... then you get what you pay for. ;)
The Rival is super easy if you spend money. If you do not, then Rival is a bit more challenging. Well maybe a lot more (depending on luck). Though it is clear a few players finished Rival without spending money.
**Diamond Farms are an alternative.

Darkest.Knight

I'm a F2P player and I usually spend some diamonds on all events just to speed them along a bit, diamond farms work quite well for me having started them a long time ago; most days I collect at least 50 and occasionally as many as 350. I spent 750 diamonds for 4 tickets, they helped quite a lot and I should have the Animal Crossing upgrade and hit lvl11 on the main building in a couple of days. Nothing stands out to complain about, not much in the game is all that different; put your time in and you'll be rewarded.

JJ597

What is that old quote? "Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me." I'll add the following, Fool me three times, will never happen. Tried the first Rivals minigame and didn't get very far. Read comments about how easy it was, no diamonds used, just had to be prepared for it. For the 2nd appearance, decided to get as far as possible, ideally to the golden ticket rewards. Only got to Alligator Swamp reward, by using event coins and diamonds. Too costly for me.

My takeaway of the Rival questline: It's the Bronze Age, build a Longhouse Quest on Steroids! To refresh everyone's memory, There is(was, in case removed) a quest that rewarded the player 100 diamonds. A Fantastic Reward for a new player! However, the next quest was to build a Longhouse at the cost of 100 diamonds. INNO giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other. Rivals takes that one step further, and has multiple rewards (1 Hammer, etc) that are REQUIRED to be used to complete the next Rivals quest, rather than being able to save and use when the player wants to.

To those players who can complete easily, have fun with Rival. To Inno, I will not be spending any more purchased diamonds on Rival! For me, Rival joins settlements, GVG, PVP and and non event daily challenges as things to ignore. Am I missing rewards, etc, Yes, but that does not bother me.