• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What are you going to do when GbG adds the City Defense as the fighting boost in a third island type?

So instead of coming up with anything actually new, or maybe fix the problems with existing features, Inno is deciding to try to make everyone reverse the decade long military model. Not by actually coming up with an interesting twist, but by the ridiculous idea of attacking with defense boosts. No creativity involved (which unfortunately is in line with Inno's record since about 2015.)

Well, I can tell you what I'll do. I'll ignore GBG altogether instead of just mostly. Kind of like I ignore GE5 totally since that crapfest came out.
Yep. attacking with defense boosts makes no sense whatsoever.

Emberguard

So it is pretty clear that eventually Inno will be adding a third type of Island besides Volcano and Waterfall to GbG seasons. The third type is strongly rumored to use City type fight boost.

It doesn't have to be a third map you know. It could just be a mechanic change

As to what I'd do, absolutely nothing different. Anything I would go for without factoring in blue boosts already contains blue boosts on it. That stat is naturally increasing at a faster rate than Red despite only going for Red stats and ignoring the Blue

Ebeondi Asi

It doesn't have to be a third map you know. It could just be a mechanic chang
That is true. But in reading and videos I did see a definite comment that there is a third map with defense army use being held back. MY take was an Emphasis on third.
I
(My red boosts are catching up to blue even as blue are also growing. I'm trying to help all along a little!... tradeoff of all sorts can be made). And one reason I enjoy the game is having to actually think and make choices all the time what to work on what to change... (It does seem to me the problem is not there is change, The problem is because it forces players to think. Though I am guilty myself of not wanting to have to think out bits. Like the Halloween card minigame LoL but at least I know that is my own failure and not blame the game for my problem!

xivarmy

If it's a 3rd map with blue boosts, I'll roll my eyes a little. I'm somewhat ready for it - and will eventually be about equally ready for it as red boosts - but I still think it'd be silly.

I'd much prefer it to be a mechanic change where attack boost and defense boost have different uses and the defense boost's use has *something* to do with defending - like attacking sieges on your own sector.

Of course at this point I expect precious little from inno and am mostly just still playing due to inertia, social connections, and a longterm project to abuse those powercrept buildings - I think I only need to play 2 more events, ever, at this point :p And those are this one and the next one - not for their new stuff mostly, but rather old stuff that I didn't foresee the full use of the first time through.

I do take entire days off at times though (not even collecting), so perhaps those will extend to the point where I do eventually retire again before I get around to that. Because really that's not that interesting - it's a foregone conclusion that it'll work. It's just a matter of time.

Johnny B. Goode

Of course at this point I expect precious little from inno and am mostly just still playing due to inertia, social connections, and a longterm project to abuse those powercrept buildings
I feel about the same way, and I think it's sad that long-time players who've invested a lot of time into this game are this disillusioned with it. Like I said, I think Inno got lazy (mostly) and greedy, and I'm guessing that creativity wasn't a quality they were looking for in new hires after the larger company bought them (or a quality they tried to retain when choosing who to lay off.)

Angry.Blanket

That is true. But in reading and videos I did see a definite comment that there is a third map with defense army use being held back. MY take was an Emphasis on third.
I
(My red boosts are catching up to blue even as blue are also growing. I'm trying to help all along a little!... tradeoff of all sorts can be made). And one reason I enjoy the game is having to actually think and make choices all the time what to work on what to change... (It does seem to me the problem is not there is change, The problem is because it forces players to think. Though I am guilty myself of not wanting to have to think out bits. Like the Halloween card minigame LoL but at least I know that is my own failure and not blame the game for my problem!
This is just wrong,!! I thought very hard when planning my city, what has happened is all my thinking and planning has been totally waisted because the game is no longer the game I spent all the time thinking and planning for.

Ebeondi Asi

I thought very hard when planning my city, what has happened is all my thinking and planning has been totally waisted
Maybe think of the fun you could have re-imagining it? LoL
Or... Live in the past. Make mementos to the old ways. Refuse to make any changes.
Want changes, but only if they fit is so it is all so easy...
Want changes so the game is interesting and challenging
The vast majority of complaints recently seem to revolve around anger that they are changing stuff. (meaning players have to work at stuff they though they had finished bothering with,and they don't like it.

I rework my city often. I've actually gotten good at it from practice.LoL

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

So it is pretty clear that eventually Inno will be adding a third type of Island besides Volcano and Waterfall to GbG seasons. The third type is strongly rumored to use City type fight boost.
News to me. Where are these rumors? There's nothing to support that idea, and quite frankly, I'm doubtful that such a map would be implemented.

If anything, I would suspect the addition of the ability to defend provinces against the enemy, with a separate attrition counter for that. Again though, that's unfounded too and is pure speculation on my part.

Angry.Blanket

Maybe think of the fun you could have re-imagining it? LoL
Or... Live in the past. Make mementos to the old ways. Refuse to make any changes.
Want changes, but only if they fit is so it is all so easy...
Want changes so the game is interesting and challenging
The vast majority of complaints recently seem to revolve around anger that they are changing stuff. (meaning players have to work at stuff they though they had finished bothering with,and they don't like it.

I rework my city often. I've actually gotten good at it from practice.LoL
Or maybe think, I ordered Steak, if I had wanted chicken I would have ordered chicken, when I need a change I will decide I need a change.
Please understand there is no anger , I simply don"t enjoy the recent.changes. ,I enjoyed the game before, if I hadn't enjoyed it I would have changed, and found another game.

Ebeondi Asi

News to me. Where are these rumors? There's nothing to support that idea,
Just one Googled just now response to the notion that ttere are no uc comments... from a Reddit comment from throwawaymrfoe: "There is a third GBG map (apart from the volcano and archipelago) that has been ready for launch for some time now. On that third map we use our blue stats instead of our red stats. So if your blue stats suck then you won't be able to fight a lot.

This third GBG map was scheduled to launch in March 2024 but I read that that timetable has shortened. We might see it sooner than that. I assume Inno is monitoring the average of the blue stats and they will only release it if has passed a certain treshold."
Plus the fact the current Tourney Grounds has a 125% defender boost good for GbG. That hows in the pop up for Tourney Grounds, but no corresponding slot in the Current City Hall boosts pop up. So they clearly have plans for a defensive boost for GbG. If you haven't seen any of this? Then you were not looking too hard.

UBERhelp1

Just one Googled just now response to the notion that ttere are no uc comments... from a Reddit comment from throwawaymrfoe: "There is a third GBG map (apart from the volcano and archipelago) that has been ready for launch for some time now. On that third map we use our blue stats instead of our red stats. So if your blue stats suck then you won't be able to fight a lot.

This third GBG map was scheduled to launch in March 2024 but I read that that timetable has shortened. We might see it sooner than that. I assume Inno is monitoring the average of the blue stats and they will only release it if has passed a certain treshold."
Plus the fact the current Tourney Grounds has a 125% defender boost good for GbG. That hows in the pop up for Tourney Grounds, but no corresponding slot in the Current City Hall boosts pop up. So they clearly have plans for a defensive boost for GbG. If you haven't seen any of this? Then you were not looking too hard.
As far as I can tell, that guy's full of BS. If they were to launch a new map, it would be in March (end of the second GBG Championship), but they wouldn't "shorten the timeline" and drop it in the middle of a Championship.

A defending bonus for GBG doesn't mean a defending bonus map. Yes, they may have plans for it. But there's no evidence right now to exactly what that boost would be used for.

Ebeondi Asi

No problem. Keep your eyes tight shut. If you pretend it can't happen maybe it can't? Who knows you might create a whole new and totally original way of handling problems. ???
I don't know if it is a certainty, nor when it will arrive. , but with the rumors presented, it makes sense to be prepared? At least i would think so. I was never a Scout, but I still can say "Be preprared" is a good motto to follow. And even if it is for Guild Raids.. Players are still going to (probably) need it to continue to do well in Guilds.
There are plenty of players who refuse to do GE 5. So needing the defense army for other things will be one more nail in their foe coffin. Sayonara..

Wwwoodchuck

I don't know how you were informed you that FoE was a "Battle game" but, as you learned, it is hardly that. It is advertised as a city-building strategy game. If you do a Google search on the top "War games", "Battle games", etc., FoE doesn't appear in the top 50, if at all. If you really want a more interactive battle-based experience I think you came to the wrong place.
I would think someone who spent $14.95 in 3 years and seems to really enjoy the game, would want to encourage paying players to stick around. Folks like myself who spend enough to help keep Inno’s lights on are the ones who do finance the game. I try and bring to their attention issues that are a deciding factor in me still supporting them. Snide comments and no useful help are not convincing me the game is worth supporting. But you do you, I am joining the ignore crowd.

I am not against change, but well planned change is required to keep a game interesting and worth playing. When changes are implemented without considering the user experience, it is frustrating. Frustration is not conducive to convincing players to stay and support that activity.

Fragments were an interesting change. It did indeed add a new dimension to the game. At first, it was a welcome change! I saw many possibilities to have it be an enjoyable part of the game and started to pursue them. However, it progressed too rapidly with no planning on how to manage what was becoming an increasingly overpowering amount of fragmented buildings to monitor and plan around. Now, for me at least, it is something I am starting to avoid altogether. I look at an item with 40,000 fragments that I can only assemble 15 at a time and cringe at the thought of doing anything with them. I do not even have a user friendly way to find out where they are coming from so I can delete those buildings and replace them with something I could be using.

I see an issue arising with the addition of more ‘military stats’ to monitor and manage. They are adding new dimensions to them without considering user experience in how to easily manage them. As before the change where Red and Blue became the definitive colors, back when both could be either or, Inno is adding more in the same color scheme. We are looking to have two red stats (and two blue?) that will be used for different aspects. If indeed Inno is going down the line of adding more military stats for different parts of the game, some planning is necessary to help identify which are for what part.

Perhaps a color scheme to differentiate between them? Red, blue, Green? If more are planned, come up with the color scheme ahead of time. This would allow for discovery if the colors are indeed a good fit for the game. Yellow might not be visible enough, Green might not either. Then, different color splash screens and/or shields for each part. Red for a part that used red stats, blue splash screen, theme/shields for a part that used blue stats, green splash screen, theme/shields for parts that use green stats… Something to help the user experience, make it easy for us to understand and adapt to.

And further, by incorporating more stats into buildings, it increases the difficulty of which buildings to place. New buildings are already incorporating 4 lines of military boosts, two red, two blue, adding 2 more is going to make it more difficult to follow. It will come down to having to manually calculate which are required and how much per which building will be needed. Manual calculations outside of the game are… at least for me… frustrating and not conducive to me wanting to support that part of the game. Before different military stats are added, some user friendly way of tracking how they will affect the user, would be a nice addition. Because if Inno is going down this road, 2 already is turning into 3, 3 will turn into 4 which will turn into 5… We could end up with 10 lines of different Military stats for each part of the game on event buildings.

The advice to only play the parts you enjoy is valid, but as the designers implement additions that are not enjoyable, less of the game is worth playing. It gets to the point of why log in just to collect and look for a place to dump FP. By coming here and expressing concern, I, and others, are hoping to help Inno avoid that situation where long time players who still do enjoy and help finance the game, go and find some other activity.

Pericles the Lion

I would think someone who spent $14.95 in 3 years and seems to really enjoy the game, would want to encourage paying players to stick around. Folks like myself who spend enough to help keep Inno’s lights on are the ones who do finance the game. I try and bring to their attention issues that are a deciding factor in me still supporting them. Snide comments and no useful help are not convincing me the game is worth supporting. But you do you, I am joining the ignore crowd.
You asked about finding where fragments come from and I provided you with my suggestion, a suggestion based on the method that I use. Like any tool, it is only useful if it is actually used. You choose to disregard my offering and lobby for the Devs to devise a solution to your dilemma that requires no effort on your part. This is certainly your prerogative. Personally, I feel that you are wasting your time.

jaymoney23456

As far as I can tell, that guy's full of BS. If they were to launch a new map, it would be in March (end of the second GBG Championship), but they wouldn't "shorten the timeline" and drop it in the middle of a Championship.

A defending bonus for GBG doesn't mean a defending bonus map. Yes, they may have plans for it. But there's no evidence right now to exactly what that boost would be used for.
Why wouldn't it be a new map that used defense? That would be the easiest thing to impliment. Trying to incorporate both attack and defense on the map would be difficult even from a logistical standpoint. I doubt they would make a chance in the middle of a championship though

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

Why wouldn't it be a new map that used defense? That would be the easiest thing to impliment. Trying to incorporate both attack and defense on the map would be difficult even from a logistical standpoint. I doubt they would make a chance in the middle of a championship though
I'm not saying they aren't making a map for that. I'm saying that right now, we don't have any evidence to support that such a map would be added. Sure, we have defense boosts. But that doesn't automatically mean a map requiring defense boosts.

Emberguard

Pretty sure when that post was made it was based on Beta players speculating what would be the easiest way to integrate blue stats. Beta players were fixated on adding a new Map the moment blue stats were discovered for Guild Battlegrounds. That was pure speculation though, NOT what's actually been found in game files or confirmed.

If the Reddit poster has evidence to suggest it's "ready for launch" or that a third map exists I would love to see it.

Alternatively, maybe they're mixing it up with Guild Raids? That has a map and is decently close to being launched in Beta. It's been delayed at the moment, but it'll be there next year.

Being the easiest to implement doesn't automatically make it a good idea. A third map just for Blue stats would mean your boosts aren't doing anything 2/3rd's of the time for Guild Battlegrounds.

People already skip a map every other season. A third map (on rotation) for blue stats would just make it likely people skip the third map entirely, or skip the red maps to focus exclusively on the blue. Whatever their members have more stats for. The only way that doesn't happen with a third map is if every other building has enough Red + Blue stats that it doesn't matter what type of stats are required for any of the maps which would kinda be self defeating anyway

Last edited:

Orius Maximus

I feel about the same way, and I think it's sad that long-time players who've invested a lot of time into this game are this disillusioned with it. Like I said, I think Inno got lazy (mostly) and greedy, and I'm guessing that creativity wasn't a quality they were looking for in new hires after the larger company bought them (or a quality they tried to retain when choosing who to lay off.)

I haven't been very impressed with the last year or so either. The events feel dialed in, the rewards are either the usual trash filler with some powerful popular stuff mixed in, and a lot of extra buildings thrown in making it harder to keep track of just what's in the game.

This focus on adding Defense boosts to GE and now GbG is the result of Inno devaluing part of the game and then shoehorning in a ham-fisted solution that leaves a lot of players dissatisfied. Defense has been deprecated as useless by the playerbase for several years now because Inno removed all incentive to defend the city and attack was just so much more important. Sets in combination with the Atlantis Museum gave players a reason to fight neighbors because there were good loot opportunities. When that Atlantis kicked in on a properly set up Indian Palace, it was quite the haul. And sets offered some decent benefits balanced by the risk of not being motivatable which made them always vulnerable to plundering. But then the sets got powercreeped, fewer good players built them, which meant less to plunder, and then in comes the GT which makes plundering even less worthwhile. As as a result, people needed defense less.

Then there's the PvP Arena, where defense matters again.... except that the best opponents for the highest age are NPCs. And so the highest age players don't fight each other, they fight the NPCs. So defense isn't useful for that either. Then as I understand, the better your defenses are in the Arena, the fewer points you get from opponents. Why on earth do we get penalized for improving our cities!? It's no wonder players were dumping defense when attack mattered so much more especially if one was fighting a lot of GvG or GbG.

So Inno throws in a unnecessary fifth GE level that requires ridiculous defense boosts just to make them useful. And even then those boosts are mostly only needed for the last 4-6 encounters at most. The rest of GE5 is doable with more modest numbers.

There's talk of them adding the defense boosts to GbG. Will they do something just as ham-fisted as adding a defense only map? Sadly, that believable. If they're going to add defense to GbG, it at least should be integrated into the system sensibly, which is what they failed to do with GE5.