• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is a Snipe?

• Thread starter DeletedUser37581
  • Start date

Dominator - X

I'm confused and it's not your fault.

If the person whom they passed contributes enough to tie with them and at the same time flips the GB and that person was first on that spot, they would get 5th?

I'll use a simple example just for conversation's sake:

The owner of the GB contributes 80/100 FP.

Player A donates 1 FP, so it's at 81/100.

Player B donates 9 FP afterwards, so it's at 90/100.

The owner then donates 2 FP, so it's at 92/100.

Player A, whose prior donation was 1 FP donates 8 FP more and flips the GB.

Both player A and B donated the same amount of FPs (9), but doesn't player A get the first spot?
I could have worded it better. What I meant to say was, the first person who locks the spot wins the spot no matter if someone resided there prior to them locking it.

No matter what spot, 1-5, once it is locked, meaning no one can contribute more FPs than the current "resident", it is owned by the locking contributor. Whether you were first or last to contribute to a spot, if you can't or don't lock the spot, you won't win the reward.

Like I suggested earlier, test my theory out. I use the term "theory" loosely, because I have never seen it in writing by Inno (it may exist, but I have not bothered searching for it) nor have I actually proved it, nor do I have any empirical evidence from outside sources. However, I am highly confident that my assumption is accurate until proven otherwise.

Jern2017

I could have worded it better. What I meant to say was, the first person who locks the spot wins the spot no matter if someone resided there prior to them locking it.

No matter what spot, 1-5, once it is locked, meaning no one can contribute more FPs than the current "resident", it is owned by the locking contributor. Whether you were first or last to contribute to a spot, if you can't or don't lock the spot, you won't win the reward.

Like I suggested earlier, test my theory out. I use the term "theory" loosely, because I have never seen it in writing by Inno (it may exist, but I have not bothered searching for it) nor have I actually proved it, nor do I have any empirical evidence from outside sources. However, I am highly confident that my assumption is accurate until proven otherwise.

I've been using a 1.90 thread both as a donor and a receiver of FPs for a long time and I snipe a lot. Because of that, I am familiar with the mechanic of locking a spot on a Great Building. For example, I just locked 1st on my neighbor's GB a couple of minutes ago (attachment).

Because of this, I said it works the way I thought it did with when there are prior donors that can tie with your donation.

Attachments

• 20200315_031022.jpg
    20200315_031022.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 4

The Lady Redneck

@vger I worded that badly. Should have said the sniper is helping level my Arc As soon as I flip it they put on half the total needed on it. So locks the top spot and gets the profit from it. At first some in my guild grumbled and said I should drop the sniper from my FL to stop it happening and put my Arc on the guild 1.9 thread. But why? I am getting my Arc levelled for free. plus I then put it on the normal guild threads and those with lower Arcs or who were hunting the BPs could get a spot they could afford. I am hoping this continues until lvl 80.

Jern2017

@vger I worded that badly. Should have said the sniper is helping level my Arc As soon as I flip it they put on half the total needed on it. So locks the top spot and gets the profit from it. At first some in my guild grumbled and said I should drop the sniper from my FL to stop it happening and put my Arc on the guild 1.9 thread. But why? I am getting my Arc levelled for free. plus I then put it on the normal guild threads and those with lower Arcs or who were hunting the BPs could get a spot they could afford. I am hoping this continues until lvl 80.

While your attitude towards receiving free FPs is nice, if your Arc is in the sweet spot, you would get even more free FPs by leveling it through your guild's 1.9 thread instead of letting the sniper take 5th.

DeletedUser

I don't get where some people think sniping has anything to do with the GB owner. Sniping is simply jumping over a person and locking a spot so they can't retake it. Period. Some snipes are benign, such as on a GB within a guild that is on the swap threads, where you simply pass another guild member due to the swap donation. Other snipes are predatory, such as when an in-guild GB has an outsider jump in and take a top spot at a profit. The good/bad of the latter is purely subjective, and really depends on whether the person "losing" a reward spot feels entitled or not.

There should be another word developed for a person locking a spot at less than 1.9 when the GB owner feels entitled to more, because that is not a snipe.

The key thing in either situation, however, is that GBs and their rewards are fair game for any guild mate, friend or neighbor. Contributors are not entitled to anything they don't lock, and GB owners aren't entitled to any specific donations in any case except guild swap threads (and even then it depends on the integrity of their guild mates).

Freshmeboy

Yes, Mr. Longshanks, I agree ...we need another word for plain old donating to lock a spot. This 1.9 construct is getting out of hand. Scooping..? As in, " I scooped up a reward for donating to your GB.." Oh, BTW..my city was attacked last night for taking first in an open Chateau without contributing 1.9....to a hoodie. It would be laughable if they weren't completely serious..

Dominator - X

Yes, Mr. Longshanks, I agree ...we need another word for plain old donating to lock a spot. This 1.9 construct is getting out of hand. Scooping..? As in, " I scooped up a reward for donating to your GB.." Oh, BTW..my city was attacked last night for taking first in an open Chateau without contributing 1.9....to a hoodie. It would be laughable if they weren't completely serious..
Mostly, we call that contributing. ;~}

The Lady Redneck

Mostly, we call that contributing. ;~}
Well I play in E, N, W,X,Z Birka and Beta. If I have made arrangements with friends with regards to levelling my GBs I see it as my responsibility to safeguard them. But apart from that my GBs are all. on a lock it or lose it basis. So if anyone is gracious enough to "contribute" then please feel free to snipe, donate, contribute, or even start a charitable trust. If you say Hi, chances are I will take the time to visit your GBs.

PS. I will not get bent out of shape if you level one either. ;) :D