• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is BGB mean

Dursland

Are you talking about GBG? You said session so I assume you mean GBG? That stands for Guild BattleGrounds.

Sessions start every second Thursday at 8am game time. We're due to have one starting this upcoming Thursday.

Dursland

You should ask them, it may be a guild-specific thing. I've never heard anyone use "BGB" in game to refer to anything.

The Lady Redneck

I was trying to apply to a new guild the founder mention they had1-2 spots per BGB session. I didn't know what BGB was.
I think he (the prospective new guild founder) was probably meaning they had 1 - 2 spots for new members after each GBG session. But just mistyped it. Meaning you should get in touch again when this GBG session ends.

Last edited:

Xenosaur

I haven't been around as long as JB but I have been doing this for a few , never heard of BGB neither.

I've seen a steady stream of players call it BG - it saves one keystroke, eh? But then again, BG is a transformation of GB - so ugh - there is sometimes a tower of Babel phenomenon going on :)

You're all right - when confused or in doubt - ask.

Johnny B. Goode

or wouldn't (mobile-primary)
I like most of your post, but this is inaccurate. Those of us who choose not to play GvG (or play it rarely) are not necessarily mobile-primary. In fact, the numbers that Inno shared years ago indicated that the majority of browser-primary players also choose not to play it. At the time the numbers they shared were this, expressed as percentages of total active players:
Mobile: 70%
PC/browser: 30%
GvG participants: 5%
Meaning that only 1 in 6 PC/browser players were playing GvG.
So many guilds are now using Voice Messaging (VoLP programs/software) rather than the guild chat function I think because the use of social media has become more and more a part of everyday life - more commonplace.
Back when I did play as a member of guilds, I left any guild that used anything other than in-game communications. I also will not be drawn into that social media world. On the two occasions in 8+ years of playing that I allowed contact outside the game by another player I regretted the choice. Fortunately there were no real life repercussions from those couple of times, and I cut off the contact within a fairly short time of allowing it.

Xenosaur

Just for clarity - there is NO acronym (or word) for this context: VOLP.

Lower case L (l) looks like an upper case I in some fonts. It's a source of huge confusion, too.

However, @Mor-Rioghain I believe, is referring to Discord, Skype, etc using VoIP, Voice Over IP (Internet Protocol) which can look like this if you use lower case in the forum font (volp), but really should be voip in lower case.

Mixed cases also demonstrate and carry that confusion from their lower case brethern: Volp --> VoLP, but should be VoIP.

Here's a refinement:

In some fonts, why is there no distinction between the lowercase 'L' and the uppercase 'I'?

The short answer is that a lack of distinction between those letters can be seen in most sans-serif typefaces, but not in serif typefaces.

;)

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Thanks for posting this again. I'd actually forgotten the specific numbers although I did remember that it was 5% who admitted to sustained play of GvG or something equally vague. ;) I'd actually be interested in seeing the original announcement if thats where you got this from, if it weren't too much trouble. If not - I'll muddle my way through that awful search function that hates me so much!
It's not 5% who "admitted" to playing GvG, that was from Inno's data on how many actually played it. I doubt that the original post survived the "reorganizing" of the Forum, but good luck with your search. Anyone who's been on the Forum long enough should be able to verify that it isn't something I made up.

Azured

I see your point but I really was stating that specifically as my own experience and what I know of the players I've met/played against & with and so on. I certainly couldn't speak for the entire gaming community - who could? To put a finer point on it, it's been my experience that many people who are mobile-only/-primary are sometimes not even aware that there is another "older" Guild War game that they can only access through the browser version. And yes, even when they are told of it or go look at a video for a variety of reasons they're not interested in learning a new/different type of fighting but a common thread certainly seems to relate to the lack of personal/tangible reward outside of ranking points. (What I didn't say was that people who use the mobile (mobile-preference might be a better term?) are often not even exposed to the GvG by their initial choices on guilds. Many guilds just simply do not and don't want to support GvG. Others literally live for it.

I've seen these numbers you've posted when they came out and I do not draw the same conclusion that the poll did and am unaware of any actual figures drawn from log-in/log-out of the Continent Maps, so IDK if they're accurate but again, based on my own experience, GvG is not a "dying" thing nor is it something that people are uninterested in based on fp/etc rewards - I'm enthused by the sheer volume of players who are interested in learning it and continue to play it actively! As a lover of GvG who came to learn it after nearly 2 years of being only an expeditioner with a dabble in PvP Towers, I can relate to that on a basic level and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my interest is purely selfish in that I don't want to see this fun, enjoyable, and interesting facet of the game die out due to lack of interest or a business decision by Inno to nerf it based on that perceived lack of interest. I feel confident by what's been distributed in terms of 'literature' that they have no intention of doing so, but I'll do my part to pass along the baton to those interested whenever I can!

Thanks for posting this again. I'd actually forgotten the specific numbers although I did remember that it was 5% who admitted to sustained play of GvG or something equally vague. ;) I'd actually be interested in seeing the original announcement if thats where you got this from, if it weren't too much trouble. If not - I'll muddle my way through that awful search function that hates me so much!

I also feel terribly uncomfortable with what I see as an intrustion into my way of life. It's really rather unfortunate that so many gamers today have become accustomed to and feel safe in such communications outside of the game construct and it's safety protocols. I know myself well enough to know that I'll never feel that comfortable so might end up losing inteterest in something like GvG if it were literally a choice between "guild chat is for BG" and "Discord is for GvG." (I've heard of total Discord guilds. That disturbs me on a fundamental level, tbh).

(**I"m only using the name Discord because it's the VoLP that most of the players I've encountered seem to favor**)
Don't give away personal information. That is almost always the number 1 rule on the internet. You can join the community and if you don't want to talk you don't need to. People aren't forcing others to talk. Discord is just like the chat on FOE, but people uses so it is easier to text/coordinate with others when they aren't on the game. Although, my guild doesn't use discord and so I don't have a FOE discord, but I wouldn't be oppose to it. I don't see the harm in being in a community with others that share the same interest. There are moderators here on the forum, so are there on discord and elsehwhere. People can also report anyone that is seeking to harm, being rude, and etc. I disagree with you using the term "unfortunate." It is not unfortunate.

Azured

What would forum moderators have to do with an in-game problem/concern? I think you've confused the issue. (If you mean in-game moderators, how could they possibly keep up with ferreting out abuse when players are using an outsourced method of communication? Sure, they'd have to rely on reports from players but how could they moderate something they can't see or examine? An in-game report takes a snap of the thread and it can be investigated and the application of a solution or redress can be impletented directly).
My bad! Maybe my wording was bad. I meant like outsourced method of communication usually have their own moderators that people in their community can report to them if one person is causing problem.

I guess I have more of a naive pov. I have joined multiple communities and interacted with people online. Nothing really bad occur in these years that I have been part of these community. They generally have rules: where telling people to not give their private information and etc... to others, telling others to respectful, and follow the rules. Nothing bad happened/occur that I know of.

I think it really is up the the person to protect themselves. I think that if safety was the issue, it really is up to the person/their parents/friends to educate them on protecting themselves.

Aren't they? When a guild only uses an out of game service like Discord to communicate troop movements and battle strategies they've effectively denied a proportion of players access to that one feature of the game in that guild. If enough guilds do that then the choices of the individual players to join and enjoy the benefits of a type of guild and access to in this case, GvG, their options become more and more limited. (GvG and communication was my prior point not general game communication).
I agree with you if someone doesn't want to download Discord yeah it is forcing them. I think I was approaching from the point where discord isn't a harmful app and that you can just download, join the server, and you just need to read what they type without typing yourself. Because I think that people can also try to cause harm on FOE also if they uses private chat.

Summary: I think my argument is that FOE chat isn't so much different than Discord. There are moderators on both side to protect others from harm.