• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is BGB mean

Johnny B. Goode

Summary: I think my argument is that FOE chat isn't so much different than Discord. There are moderators on both side to protect others from harm.
I have never used Discord, but I know that it is way different in this context from FoE in-game chat. It's a separate program, for goodness sake! That alone increases your chance of having an issue. And moderators don't "protect others from harm", they can't. That's what security on your computer/mobile device and on the website/service is for.

xivarmy

I have never used Discord, but I know that it is way different in this context from FoE in-game chat. It's a separate program, for goodness sake! That alone increases your chance of having an issue. And moderators don't "protect others from harm", they can't. That's what security on your computer/mobile device and on the website/service is for.
I have sympathy for not wanting to use an external app for communication. And wouldn't force someone to use one, though I do chat with friends through discord and have used discord for some guild purposes. It covers some of the weaknesses of FoE's in-game communication system.

I respect the perspective of not wanting to have to use external applications - but discord is one that you'll find people use across many games. It's kinda a standard fallback for "communication in this game is lacking some of the things we want it to have": let's setup a discord server for the guild.

I don't know that I would've signed up for discord *for* FoE. But I signed up for discord for another game that was even more in need of better communication tools, and use it to keep in touch with some of my FoE friends.

PJS299

My guild used it for a couple of months, but it was too much of a hassle to have to get on both.

Azured

Not always. You can have an unmoderated discord server, which is one of the reasons it can be dangerous.
For sure, but who's fault in joining a server that has no bounds? Why would you join a guild that is full of crappy people in the first place? Usually, if you're joining an online community such as the forum they have moderators.

I just don't get why some people here are so against discord, when it is literally the same as this forum. You can just leave the discord server if you don't like the community. No discord server can trap you. No one can hack you if you don't give away your personal information. They also have double authentication method to protect your account.

I am not sure what people are afraid of? People are able to track you down just from your discord information when you don't put any of your information down? You really believe that a hacker that can hack into a multi-million discord and not be able to hack here? That some how this forum has the best security measurement.

There are so many so many users on discord like if that app is so dangerous for like 8 years you would think people will stop using that app.

It is fine if people just simply doesn't want to use it, but when their reasoning is because of security measurement that is just cap. Literally don't use the internet and you will be safe.

Azured

What, are you 13? I heard some middle schoolers say that. "That's cap."
lol no, it is a common use term nowadays. For example, people use cap, lol, pog, poggers, etc...
I just don't have the right vocab to put it there, so I put cap. Probably not the right term to use it, eh.
Hey don't attack me because of my vocab >.<

Last edited:

PJS299

Sorry, your tone (despite the 'winky' emoji) is somewhat pejorative. How is DC advertising? The OP asked about a term that is likely one from Guild Battlegrounds. She simply provided a link to a guide that she is the editor of, not the author of. I'm sure she might have supplied some basic terminology when it first began but virtually all of the terms in her guides have been contributed by the people who play the game.

I just fail to see how her posting the link to a guide - hers or someone else's - that is directly related to the OP is advertising considering how off-topic some of the posts on this thread are!!
I was joking, don't get all worked up like ya usually do. We get it. You're sensitive.
She was telling people about the guide that she actually did create. "I created a Guide myself recently, you can view it at the following Link: Updated Guide to Game Abbreviations and Commonly Used Phrases."

ad·ver·tise·ment
noun
  1. a notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy.
    "advertisements for alcoholic drinks"

PJS299

Not only do I fail to see the humor that you think your posts are literally bursting with but this particular comment is not only in poor taste, it's a clear violation of the forum rules.

Specifically, under General Rules:

- Treat each other with respect and remain polite. You are welcome to disagree with someone however it must be done in a respectful manner. Derogatory and insulting posts will be removed. Continued removal of such posts may result in forum privileges being suspended or removed.

You habitually pick at people's arguments but don't seem to be able to do so without also picking apart their character or their personal traits. Case in point, "We get it. You're sensitive" you stated. Perhaps you mistook my passion about certain topics as sensitivity. Oops, wrong variant definition! Sensitive can also mean 'thin-skinned,' the definition I believe you mean based on the context of your post.

- Personal insults are not allowed anywhere in this forum, including reputation, profiles and private messages.

"...don't get all worked up like ya usually do." I would have to classify that as characterizing my reputation. If that's not strong enough to stand on it's own, well, there's "We get it. You're sensitive."

And while we're on the topic of characterizing another members' habits in posting, you quite frequently correct people's spelling and grammar up to and including a rather humorous response from our own Mellofax who stated "Or he could be British" when I pointed out that your correction of his chosen spelling of a word was not only correct but could have been a typo. I rather enjoyed his response as he could very well have held both of us to these rules but instead chose humor to lighten a situation that could have gotten out of hand.

Furthermore you clearly didn't read (or understand) what I wrote. I stated that DC was more of an editor than an author. Sure, I'm quite certain without consulting her that she probably put a fair amount of work into stringing along letters into sentences and sentences into paragraphs and so on - authoring in the broadest definition of the term BUT it was and is a collection of common terms used in a game that were coined by others than herself. By definition that is what editors do. Had she coined them herself, I'd refer to her as an author.

Why not just enjoy the posts and if you must add something, try adding something about your own personal experiences in the game, rather than criticisizing the actual person who offers an opinion or experience that is different from your own? Based on what I've see of your posts, you seem more inclined to think enough of your own command of the language and syntax but sure do fall short of the standards by which you hold other people to. Surely you've heard of the expression "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?" Those are words to live by.
I didn't read all of that, but it wasn't an insult. It was a fact. On previous posts **ahem** This Guy Needs To Go To Therapy ahem** you have taken something that is clearly a joke, and twisted it around to make me look bad. I don't want to argue with you, but the first post was a joke, and the second was a fact.

DreadfulCadillac

Sorry, your tone (despite the 'winky' emoji) is somewhat pejorative. How is DC advertising? The OP asked about a term that is likely one from Guild Battlegrounds. She simply provided a link to a guide that she is the editor of, not the author of. I'm sure she might have supplied some basic terminology when it first began but virtually all of the terms in her guides have been contributed by the people who play the game.

I just fail to see how her posting the link to a guide - hers or someone else's - that is directly related to the OP is advertising considering how off-topic some of the posts on this thread are!!
I appreciate the defense of my person, but I believe it was a joke. Then again, I tend to take everything light-heartedly. Love the "Assume good faith" principle