• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is BGB mean

DreadfulCadillac

My apologies for the assumption. Your previous avatar was something like anime, which has always confused me in terms of gender. Not really a big surprise since most anime characters are meant to seem somewhat androgynous. I certainly never meant to offend! :/
No worries! I figured that could be why, and tbh I don't like anime much anymore anyway so seemed like it was a good time to change my avatar to something more.. erm... representative of the forum atmosphere lol

Azured

It's not Discord, per se, but any 3rd party service. The game was meant to be played without need for such outside services. I for one was only arguing that to be denied entry into a guild based on my trepidation or natural concern for the use of such a platform or more to the point to be denied the fullness of the GvG experience due to the guild's preference for the use of such a program isn't fair. What if I chose to build a city on a world where most/all of the top GvG guilds used it? Well, that would have been a miserable waste of time on my part!

This is absurd. Your device is literally chock full of info you've either put on it yourself or that was placed on it when you transferred information from your old device to your new device. Unless you literally use a new device that has never been in contact with any other device that does have such personal information, you're just opening yourself up to problems. Double authentication? That's not absurd - that's playing osterich! Pishing schemes alone account for a prepondance of computer crimes by simple process of deduction.

Why limit yourself to hackers? How many people lose their phones or leave them somewhere even temporarily? Unless you've actually excercised your security protocals, it could happen - even innocently - and for a lot of people the fact that it 'could' is good enough.

(I mean let's face it, haven't we all seen enough 'skits' about some new-fangled security measure by debunking the old one? Something like a family member pressing the thumbprint of their sleeping relative to gain access to their phone/device? It's all well and good - and perhaps funny to some - but the truth is that the outcome might not be invasive or dangerous even but it's still unwanted. That's just one example of how security protocols can be breached -- how many more are there out there? I try not to think about that - it's too big of a number!)

So by your accounting 8 years of "so many users on discord" is going to reassure potential users? Stop existing users from using it because it's been 8 years and nothing (that they know of) has happened? I'm not saying it's a bad program. I'm not even saying it isn't trustworthy. What I am saying is that what you've said is not evidence of anything: it's your opinion and those numbers could be pulled out of thin air for all I know. Companies, big or small, actually share a common business practice of having a legal fund specifically created to address two primary issues: One, it's to be used to settle out of court when they are sued by someone who's been hurt/damaged/etc. by use of their product. Well known fact - it's cheaper to settle than to go through a prolonged court battle that might just end up in the hands of a jury who have a longstanding reputation for awarding a LOT in punitive damages to plaintiffs. (Check out tort legislation - those numbers weren't made up out of thin air). Secondly, a legal fund can and has often been used to do what most people call "spin" a situation. Let's say said company has had some bad press - maybe even something they're not entirely responsible for. They will use such funds to distract the public from what really happened and they will often believe the 'spin' and begin to believe what they're told happened. Enough truth is woven into the spin that it's entirely plausible and most people are happy to accept it because it addresses a need we all have: to feel safe.

It's a little late for that sentiment. The internet, even in it's most rudimentary forms, has existed and used by the general public for nearly 60 years. The world wide web (the use of WiFi over telephones might not have been launched until 1993 but before that there were still ways to communicate via computers through modems (for example, Bulletin Board Systems) the technology growing out of a system of communication that relied on what's more commonly known as copper wire technology. And therein lies the crux of what I see as the fallacy of your basic stance in that you seem to believe that hacking is uncommon, rare, and hard(er) to do using the technology that largely exists today - Wifi. I find it truly ironic that you are touting and defending a social media site that replaces copper wire technology with a way to speak to another person using Wifi instead.

I know that this thread has veered very far off from the OP's query as to what BGB means but it is what it is - this topic of defending a program like Discord keeps cropping up so people are going to respond to it. If you wish to refute their arguments, then try using some more factual information and you might actually succeed in convincing people that you are serious about your position even if you're unable to dissuade them from theirs. ;)
It is hard for me to bring up any argument because I know the fact that you can and everyone on the internet can be hacked. However, I just think that is unlikely to be hacked especially with a well-known huge company if you don't voluntarily give them your information. I haven't heard from anyone in the discord community that got hacked randomly without giving anyone their information. This is how society will function and will continue to move forward in this direction. Companies will strengthen their security measurements.

I agree with you this game is meant to be play without third party services, but you can't denied that third party services to some makes their life easier. People do things because it is more efficient than the old ways.

LeCron

FOE Team
Community Manager
Hi everyone,

Please avoid going off-topic or we might start moderating the thread. Also, don't start fighting each other or go for personal attacks. This kind of behavior is not constructive and we won't tolerate it. If the discussion is no longer productive or leads to a destructive behavior, then it's not supposed to continue. If you want to talk to each other in a personal level going off-topic or not, please use the PMs.

You can find the Forum Rules here.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a nice day!