• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When can we stop pretending GBG is balanced?

Peeking Turtle

My idea was flagged to DNS as to be better suited for a feedback thread instead, Not saying Inno will make any changes to the current GBG system, I agree the matching algorithm could use a little tweaking and also mixing worlds like GE I read sounds interesting as I've seen others mention that. Bottom line is the current GBG system still provides ability for 2 strong allies to lock the entire map and dictate rank placements. Anyway I think this ability is essentially killing any future competition and deterring people from playing.
So here was my idea to stir the discussion pot, seemed more relevant to post in this thread.

Idea: Increase GBG competitiveness by adjusting all sector lockdown times and adjust building slot times. EXAMPLE:

>Ring 1 = lockdown time 4 hours – Camp time 2 hours

>Ring 2= lockdown time 2 hours – Camp time 1 hour

>Ring 3= lockdown time 1 hour– Camp time 30 minutes

>Ring 4= lockdown time 30 minutes– Camp time 15 minutes

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? I only found complaints surrounding 2 Guilds controlling the map, other Guilds looking for better competition and the Guild matching algorithm flaw / or possible bug / Guild balancing concern.

Reason: It is well known, and several complaints/remarks made regarding 2 guilds controlling the entire map and pinning all other competition. These Guilds harness the ability to solely decide at what position each remaining Guild can place in the current session and their ability to even contend at all, this Dominant control of GBG not only reduces competition but further dictates which Guilds will remain in the current session league or be reduced to a lower league.

Rewards from GBG can help all players grow more rapidly and become more competitive in all game aspects. The current GBG set up shuns competition at all levels.

Details: By Changing sector timings this now increases the competition level those smaller / weaker opponents who have advanced to a higher league have. This will also increase the strategic approach these 2 Guild tag teams use to lockdown the entire map. Not to fault those players or Guilds who have played longer or worked hard to get to their levels and create alliances, if the GBG matching algorithm needs to be adjusted for match making so be it, however I think this approach will begin to create more balance of competition along with more alliances or at least temporary agreements to make the game more enjoyable for those playing and create stronger players throughout the game to increase competition abroad.

This complete control imbalance is punishing the entire game, people will leave from just the sheer boredom of not being “allowed” in a sense to even compete.

Just as smaller opponents cannot have their cake and eat it too to keep achieving ultimate success each session, larger opponents cannot expect to have similar / favored opponents each session with the ability to “flip” the entire map every 4 hours. Over time this dominance factor has created the sideline affect and weaker competition.

Details: All opponents will possess the ability to advance inward from their HQ in a timelier approach, this will reduce the current “entire map lockdown” condition which is currently being taken advantage of. Opponents can strategize navigating inward to higher scoring sectors against opponents. Other opponents / alliances in surrounding sectors would have the ability to defend advancements (take sectors back after unlock time) which may come at increasing attrition costs due to adjacent loss of a sector or camp supports. The center map controlling Guilds would need to determine their strategy of defense. They may not be able to continuously fight off inward movements of opponents and suffer increasing attrition levels to maintain the “entire map sector flipping” process with other alliances. This may or may not create new alliances or we may simply have to find a way to fight our enemies (maybe Traps now become more useful).

Balance: Could provide more ability for all players to advance at a more rapid pace and create more competition in all game aspects depending on their participation in GBG and obtaining rewards. Adjustments needed are only to sector lockdown times in GBG and allocated “building times” for sector buildings, there should be adjustments to match building times with sector lockdown times for fairness to all, I used camp time adjustment in idea header as an example since these are the most used buildings currently and obviously would not be possible to build a 2-hour camp on a 30-minute sector without the use of diamonds.

Abuse Prevention: A map I am looking at in a current session does have 2 sectors 2 guilds could use to continuously flip in ring 3 every hour if sector timings were adjusted while they both remain stationary in surrounding sectors. The 5 sector set ups allows 2 guilds the ability to each own 2 adjacent sectors with total of 4 camp supports, although there would still be a 4% attrition this could be thought of as an exploit. Camp supports come random on each map so this may not always be the case, this could also be considered as more rewarding areas to compete with and could be prevented by other opponents. In all it might just increase more competition if a random map set up provides this.

Summary: Minor sector timing lockdown adjustments and building times (for Siege camps /other buildings) could greatly increase the competition level in GBG along with activity and enjoyment for "all" players. I believe these are minor changes to the current battle system in GBG.

The Lady Redneck

The burn out rate for GBG leaders is bad enough as it is. This proposal would have sectors opening at intervals where people would have to be co-ordinating battles 24/7. What about smaller guilds who did not have the manpower to cover all these time slots? I doubt there are many big guild with a full 80 membership who could do so.

Tony 85 the Generous

Every time I see a new proposal about twisting the system of GBG, all I can say is it is better served to spend your energy on getting your guild better at competing instead writing these non sense. Just get better
Getting better (aka stronger) and getting as strong as your competition are two very different things. Getting stronger is easy but also irrelevent as your competition has also gotten stronger. What do you suggest (that is not already being done) to get as strong as the top guilds so as to be able to compete on equal footing?

Saggas

Getting better (aka stronger) and getting as strong as your competition are two very different things. Getting stronger is easy but also irrelevent as your competition has also gotten stronger. What do you suggest (that is not already being done) to get as strong as the top guilds so as to be able to compete on equal footing?
This game is not a sprint. It is a marathon. All good things take time, especially in this game. Instant gratification be damned!

Peeking Turtle

Every time I see a new proposal about twisting the system of GBG, all I can say is it is better served to spend your energy on getting your guild better at competing instead writing these non sense. Just get better
Simply having more players in a guild or on every 4 hours than your opponent is not "competitive" , so ok grow a full roster/coordinate more people on than opponent -check! Alliance with another top guild on the map so you now have double the players than each opponent-check! I don't see the challenge or how to "get better" , I don't see how competition can grow abroad or grow interest from new players/new guilds if 2 guilds can control and dictate the entire map so easily.

Peeking Turtle

The burn out rate for GBG leaders is bad enough as it is. This proposal would have sectors opening at intervals where people would have to be co-ordinating battles 24/7. What about smaller guilds who did not have the manpower to cover all these time slots? I doubt there are many big guild with a full 80 membership who could do so.
To read between the lines here, what you are saying is it would make GBG "more challenging" and even "bigger" top tier guilds with a full 80 man roster would see difficulty? smaller guilds can grow in manpower if they choose. I'm certain your doubts are facts.

haggy

Why not have a guild size calculation added to the point system. Group guilds with the same points in groups of guild size. Maybe 5 to 10, 11 to 20, 20 to 40 etc….. Because it doesn’t matter if you are in diamond or platinum ( maybe even in gold), if there is 12 of you and two guilds are 60 to 80 members you can’t keep up with them. It doesn’t matter how much of a fighting guild you are.

The Lady Redneck

To read between the lines here, what you are saying is it would make GBG "more challenging" and even "bigger" top tier guilds with a full 80 man roster would see difficulty? smaller guilds can grow in manpower if they choose. I'm certain your doubts are facts.
I can see why you would think that. but no that was not what I meant. I am all for them making things more challenging (not only in GBG, but GE also) We do the boring farming bit (nothing else we can do) But we will work with smaller guilds if they are interested, so they get a chance of fights for their people that are within their ability. Otherwise the thing would be even more boring. But I do not see the logistics of your idea being a challenge so much as a problem. What I mean is where would any guild no matter the size get the man power to cover tiles that were opening at 30 min, 1hr, 2 hr and 4hr, for 24 hrs a day? And there would be times when more than one of the time slots would overlap with others. meaning that every so often all the tiles would be open at once. To avoid this there would need to be people always on hand to judge when to hold or cap a tile to gain time advantage. And how the tiles have to follow on from each other. Part of the fun when the guilds were more mixed every season was working out the tactics needed to get tiles when facing an enemy. And yes smaller and newer guilds can grow, but it takes time. They will not all have players with years of fighting experience in battle tactics and strategies I may be wrong in this though as I am more a fighter than a planner. Plus a big guild with a lot of experienced fighters and the resources in its inventory could probably still take all the slots for most of the day so the only time they would be available for smaller or slower guilds would be during the night.

Please do not think I am putting your ideas down, as this thing is in such a mess INNO needs ideas. And on a level playing field where everyone agreed to work as you see it. It could be good. But this is a battle ground and people want to win the battle however they have to do it.

Last edited:

Tony 85 the Generous

This game is not a sprint. It is a marathon. All good things take time, especially in this game. Instant gratification be damned!
Even if the race was infinitely long, it still won't help. They improve. You improve. Unless you have an idea on how to outpace or outgain on their improvement you will never catch them.

blodgaarm

I haven't read all 38 pages so might be repeating an idea, but if the idea is to stop gridding, then stop putting the timer up. At the least reduce the timer to 1 hour or less. No guild is going to have someone on 24/7 (or not for long) looking to flip every hour. Just my $0.02

icarusethan

This has actually already been covered extensively in this thread. I was hoping you had a new approach new idea, or new angle that had not been considered. The conclusion then was, excepting a mass desertion from the top tier guilds, it can't be done based on the ideas previously discussed.
or just face the reality and join a better guild. since you cant outfight out recruit outdoing anything the big guilds can do

Tony 85 the Generous

or just face the reality and join a better guild. since you cant outfight out recruit outdoing anything the big guilds can do
That strategy has also been put to bed.

Summary: If you think bigger than yourself and myself, assume there 20 guilds at the top and those guilds are 3/4 full. That leaves 20 places in each, or a total of 400 spots available in one of the top guilds. Assume 10% of the people in a world follow the same strategy, how are 6000 members supposed to fit in 400 spots?

Any new ideas?

SCollins23

you compete for the spots and if you fail, get better

In my world, there are a couple guilds that dominate GBG. If you're not part of that crowd, you wouldn't be able to keep up with their development. Basically, you are saying that to be able to get strong (by getting in a strong guild and making use of their infrastructure), you first need to get strong.

I really don't observe much "social mobility" once you look beyond the less active players. Occasionally there are lower level players allowed into the top guilds and allowed to grow, but my experience is that it's rare. One of the Top 10 players in my world used to say he advanced through rankings by watching players ranked higher than him quit the game. He recently left himself!

icarusethan

In my world, there are a couple guilds that dominate GBG. If you're not part of that crowd, you wouldn't be able to keep up with their development. Basically, you are saying that to be able to get strong (by getting in a strong guild and making use of their infrastructure), you first need to get strong.
no Im saying if you cant find a way to be good enough to get into the top guilds, blame yourself instead of the system