• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why is Shrine of Awe not popular?

• Thread starter DeletedUser38006
  • Start date

DeletedUser38006

Why is the Shrine of Awe not more popular? I am fairly new, in EMA, and I see people talk about Shrine of Knowledge and I have seen cities with rows of SOKs but I rarely if ever see or hear of SOA. Why? For me that 1 FP from each SOK doesn't seem as attractive as the multiple medals from SOA. I currently don't have a problem getting the FPs I need but constantly need more medals, that are harder for me to come by, to use for expansions.

Godly Luke

If you have a lot of SOKs, you will be rolling in hundreds of fps daily not counting the arc, GE, events, DC, quests etc... Medals on the otherhand, become useless. Besides from a few expansions and the AA map, medals are useless. You get many from GE, DC, quests, Arc etc. You get more medals than fps. From an level 80 Arc, you might get a few hundred fps, assuming it is a low level GB we're talking about. But you would also get a few thousand medals; let's say for this example 5k. When you are getting more fps from contributing those fps you just made across 10 different gbs and make even more fps back than you started out with. Which ultimately means more fps, more medals. So after that ordeal repeating across many days, you begin to get thousands of medals, if not hundreds of thousands, or millions. You see now why medals become obsolete, and no one builds SOA or Col or medal producing GBs.

DeletedUser8428

Why is the Shrine of Awe not more popular? I am fairly new, in EMA, and I see people talk about Shrine of Knowledge and I have seen cities with rows of SOKs but I rarely if ever see or hear of SOA. Why? For me that 1 FP from each SOK doesn't seem as attractive as the multiple medals from SOA. I currently don't have a problem getting the FPs I need but constantly need more medals, that are harder for me to come by, to use for expansions.
Forge points are the fuel that drive the game. With them you can level your own buildings to improve your defense/offense, increase your population, level your own Great Buildings and participate in leveling GB of other players (earning rewards), earn coin and resources, earn enough goods that you no longer need to build goods buildings ... sorry son. Medals can be earned in half a dozen ways and their use pales by comparison.

RazorbackPirate

First, welcome to the game and the forums. Good on you for asking questions.

In FoE, FPs are the ultimate currency. As such, FPs can be in some way converted to almost any other resource in the game. Need goods? Plenty of folks will be happy to sell you goods for FPs. So what about medals?

With FPs, you can invest in other players GBs to earn reward spots. This will give you FPs, BPs, Medals in return. You can never go wrong preferring FPs over most everything else.

Lancer

Once you get to a certain point in the game the Shrine of Awe isn't worth the amount of space it uses up. Early on, however, it's the opposite.

DeletedUser

The problem with the Shrine of Awe is that when you get to the point where you need tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of medals for the next expansion, the relatively few medals that it produces are a drop in a bucket. For example: My main city is in Contemporary Era. My next medal expansion will cost 520,000 medals. A Contemporary Era Shrine of Awe provides 63 medals a day. Even if you managed to collect it faithfully every day, it would take 22 1/2 years for one Shrine of Awe to pay for that expansion. If I filled my city with 22 Shrines of Awe, it would still take over a year. And the next expansion is even more expensive. Meanwhile, if I have 22 SoK giving me 8000 FP in that year, I can conceivably turn that into hundreds of thousands of medals in addition to hundreds of BPs if I invest it wisely for GB rewards. Not to mention the countless packs of inventory FP I will get with these rewards.

DeletedUser38006

I think this got off track as to what I was questioning. I absolutely understand and agree that Forge Points are highly valuable, needed, and are important to acquire to be successful in this game. Forge points themselves is not what I was questioning, it is the value of a building that never, no matter the age you are in, gives more than 1 FP a day and then only if the building is motivated; compared to a same size building that gives multiple medals, the actual number depending on which age you acquired the building in.
Probably part of the reason why I was wondering about SOA is that, as I said I am fairly new, playing just a couple of months. so one of my main concerns is trying to grow my city and have enough room for the things I want/need. I have had all the BPs for another GB but no room and just now am able to add an expansion so I can place the new GB.

DeletedUser38006

Thank you Stephen Longshanks, you answered on point to my real question. You must have posted while I was typing up my rply. Thanks.
It was just hard to see 1 FP a day (or even 22 a dqy) making much impact but I guess it is just like retirement savings, a little over time adds up to a significant amount.

DeletedUser29726

I think this got off track as to what I was questioning. I absolutely understand and agree that Forge Points are highly valuable, needed, and are important to acquire to be successful in this game. Forge points themselves is not what I was questioning, it is the value of a building that never, no matter the age you are in, gives more than 1 FP a day and then only if the building is motivated; compared to a same size building that gives multiple medals, the actual number depending on which age you acquired the building in.
Probably part of the reason why I was wondering about SOA is that, as I said I am fairly new, playing just a couple of months. so one of my main concerns is trying to grow my city and have enough room for the things I want/need. I have had all the BPs for another GB but no room and just now am able to add an expansion so I can place the new GB.

Stephen addressed this. The amount of medals a SoA produces is insignificant compared to the amount you need for expansions if you're taking advantage of other methods of getting medals. As a thought experiment say you have 4 SoAs in an expansion (actually takes a bit more than that because they need road). How long do they take to replace the expansion they're using up? The answer is in years. You're better off deleting the 4 SoAs and using the space they were taking for what you were going to put in the expansion you want.

It's not that you shouldn't want medals, but you should get them from other sources.

Great sources:
- Donating to high age GBs and finishing in the top 5 (can be amplified with an arc - but it's good even without)
- Recurring Quests in high ages

Good sources:
- Event packages that give you medals directly (if you don't get a lot of medals elsewhere this is way better than trying to win a SoA - typically getting months of SoA production in a single win without using city space)

Free sources:
- Weekly PvP tower competitions (originally the main means to get medals they're really slow now, but don't really cost you anything to try for)
- Side rewards on multi-level buildings that also make things you actually want (like Colossus)
- Victory Towers in dead space you can't use for anything else (shouldn't be too many of them because like the SoA they're not *worth* the space - but if you're not able to use it for anything else)

Kranyar the Mysterious

Let me ask you a question. Which one of the following is more efficient?

1. Building 9 Shrines of Awe and collecting once per day.

2. Building 9 Shrines of Knowledge and using the fp you get from the Shrines and your FP bar to take fifth place on a level 60 Arc for 19 fp and getting back 10 forge points, 1258 medals, and 5 Arc blueprints?

This is far from a rhetorical question too since any iron Age player with 19 fp (or 9 for a lower Arc) can easily take fifth place on a mid level Arc if they are in a good guild with a number of Arcs actively being leveled.

Last edited:

DeletedUser29623

Early in the game, when expansions are cheap, SoA is great. I had one. But beyond a certain point you need a lot more medals to buy more space and by then you’ll have found better ways to get them, like donating to GBs, especially when the rewards are boosted by an Arc.

UBERhelp1

Honestly, I think I only ever got one SoA. And I placed it. And I deleted it. :) It just isn't worth it.

Lancer

I believe that I've deleted about 8-10 of them myself. Now I'm deleting the tribal squares when I need the space.

Emberguard

SOA isn’t popular because it’s (more or less) the same amount of medals as any other building that produces medals for the space taken without taking roads into account

If you want just medal producers then Victory Towers are better both because they don’t take roads and only need collecting once a week. So if you miss a collection you’ve lost far less on VC then you would for SoA

Medals are really only a side need. You could play the game without ever touching them. So it’s better to focus on the main needs and medals will naturally come just from chasing after everything else. They’re already a byproduct of event buildings and lvling GBs. Whereas if you did it the other way round you basically have nothing to show for your efforts. Even without the Arc it’d be a pointless endeavour to chase after medals