• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Why is the tutorial not optional?

Fishercat.

Does anyone happen to know why experienced players can't opt out of the tutorial? I've speculated that reducing server load seems to be the reason for the slow nature of several uninteresting game features that take players a lot of time. (Aiding, tavern sitting, RQing, etc.) But that's not true of the tutorial. Just curious if anyone's ever seen an explanation of the rationale from Inno, since optional tutorials have been common in the industry for years.

Fishercat.

@ Algona: No. I believe I've seen the tutorial on the DNS list, but I can check again. If it isn't there, and I can't think of anything else with a bigger impact, I may do, though. Yeah, I know we can post multiple ideas.

@ Ebeondi Asi: I wasn't complaining about it, just asking if anyone knew the rationale. Presumably, you don't, or you would have said. Thanks for the snark, though. That was helpful.

Fishercat.

Thank you, that's good to know. If I'm correctly reading between the lines of the link, the concern is that new players mustn't be able to opt out of the tutorial, because the game is too complex.

I was really wondering why players with active accounts can't opt out. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Agent327

Thank you, that's good to know. If I'm correctly reading between the lines of the link, the concern is that new players mustn't be able to opt out of the tutorial, because the game is too complex.

I was really wondering why players with active accounts can't opt out. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I know what you were wondering. I have seen the suggestion to put in a check box so experienced players can opt out of the tutorial, but drawback would be that new players could do the same, so there needs to be a safeguard.

I think that the reason for new players not to be able to opt out of the tutorial is to give them the chance to slowly learn the game. Most complaints new players have come from rushing the game.

Tony 85 the Generous

I know what you were wondering. I have seen the suggestion to put in a check box so experienced players can opt out of the tutorial, but drawback would be that new players could do the same, so there needs to be a safeguard.

I think that the reason for new players not to be able to opt out of the tutorial is to give them the chance to slowly learn the game. Most complaints new players have come from rushing the game.
Totally agree, but I would think the program could be smart enough to detect if the player has a city in another world already and could be prompted via dialog box if they would like to proceed with the tutorial for skip it. In this way, new players (ie., with no cities in any world) would not be given the option to skip/opt out.

Agent327

Totally agree, but I would think the program could be smart enough to detect if the player has a city in another world already and could be prompted via dialog box if they would like to proceed with the tutorial for skip it. In this way, new players (ie., with no cities in any world) would not be given the option to skip/opt out.

But when is a player experienced? Is doing the tutorial once enough?

Possible abuse, start new worlds just for the diamond offers.

Tony 85 the Generous

True enough.

Diamond abuse is possible whether they have to do the tutorial or not. Is it not? Should the diamond be offered for every new world or just the first, very other world, or... ? There was an issue with the fp rewards in the viking settlement until they changed it.

Personally, I do not think the developers put enough thought into what feature or activity may provoke abuse or cheating. For example, the use of clickers has been a way for players to avoid delays (either inherient or designed) since Windows 3.1.

DeletedUser

I see what you mean about that . Some have many worlds and keep making the same mistakes over and over. There should be a tutorial and pops up "Are you sure you want to do something dumb like what you are about to do ?" once for every time they go to do something dumb then they are on their own if they do it anyway.

Fishercat.

The question is, how many worlds are you starting that this is a significant issue for you?

Me? Not a lot. But enough that I've noticed it, and it bothers enough people to have made it onto the DNS list. *shrug*

I find this comment puzzling. Care to elaborate?

Inno's asking for feedback for a sprint -- they're not going to be able to make all the changes everyone suggests. I'm sure there are other things about FoE that bug me (and probably other experienced players) way more than being unable to opt out of the tutorial when starting on a new world. I don't want a very minor annoyance to possibly take up programmer hours that could instead be assigned to fixing something that's really a huge PITA.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

True enough.

Diamond abuse is possible whether they have to do the tutorial or not. Is it not? Should the diamond be offered for every new world or just the first, very other world, or... ? There was an issue with the fp rewards in the viking settlement until they changed it.

Personally, I do not think the developers put enough thought into what feature or activity may provoke abuse or cheating. For example, the use of clickers has been a way for players to avoid delays (either inherent or designed) since Windows 3.1.
NVM, question answered. Thanks.

Fishercat.

Yes. This.

Fishercat.

Yes... On every single world You start... except on Beta...

I'm sorry? I'm pretty sure I recently read someone else's claim that they accepted an introductory diamond sale, started a new city shortly thereafter, and didn't receive the same offer. They got the next diamond offer that is normally in queue.