• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Wildlife Event 2023 Feedback

DreadfulCadillac

Another complaint is that this is a 10 level chain building. I detest chain buildings the way it is, and this is one of the more irritating events to try to win prizes in. So it's 10 pieces just for the main, plus whatever chain pieces I decide to add. I don't even know where the chain pieces will show up outside of the premium prize track unless they're in dailies. But this is one of those events which are bad for farming dailies in the first place, and I still need more Mountain Reserve pieces.
Though it's not a guarantee it'll show up on live, I would note that the Chain Piece selection kit for Panda Reserve did show up as a Daily Special on beta

qaccy

The practice of requiring fragments for the last rank of an event buildings is hot garbage. It is solely a grab for more money and getting whales and farmers to completely deplete their diamonds. This has been an ongoing trend and it is causing a lot of people to give up this game. This is a click game and should not need more hours in a day than the job that pays our bills. Stop making the game so prohibitive for casual players to make any real meaningful progress. Used to love this game because it wasn't money hungry and provided a worthwhile gaming experience that left players wanting to spend a little cash. Now it is nearly mandatory to be successful in an event.
I'd say it's pretty enticing, too. I think it's worth noting that these new 'golden' upgrades for event buildings are actually a new concept, and not really taking away anything that we already had. What I mean is, compare the level 9 Panda Reserve to other fully upgraded event buildings (or at least the final levels before any 'golden' upgrades) and you'll see the stats are pretty similar. This new upgrade level is just an additional layer of icing on top to yes, entice people to spend, because I don't think these upgrades are factored in for 'free' players. The power increase from them is pretty substantial. Free play is only designed around an expectation that a player will upgrade to level 9, but at least for this event there's a route to obtaining that final upgrade over time if it wasn't paid for.

Pericles the Lion

I like the mini-game mechanic. SImilar to the one in the Anniversary Event, it requires a bit of brainpower to achieve the best results. For me, it sure beats clicking on the cheapest football player and hoping for a good RNG outcome.

-Chen-

So, we're now giving Avatars as milestone rewards? Seriously? Milestone rewards were always either a level of the grand prize building, or event currency...in other words, something good. If you want to add them as extra milestone rewards, fine, but to take away currency and building levels for that garbage is some major BS

Oh, and I'll chime in with others wondering what is up with this new thing where you give multiple level 1's so early in the process

Johnny B. Goode

This new upgrade level is just an additional layer of icing on top to yes, entice people to spend, because I don't think these upgrades are factored in for 'free' players.
This is the reason I'm finding less and less incentive to play this game. I spent money in the past because the game was enjoyable and it wasn't forced on us. Now they're forcing it on us. Pay...or don't get the good buildings. Well, I guess I'll do without that extra layer of icing on every building from now on. Of course, some players who pay to get them will come to the Forum and tell us everything is easy because they have those extra levels that the F2P players won't have. :rolleyes:

JewellsSC

I'd say it's pretty enticing, too. I think it's worth noting that these new 'golden' upgrades for event buildings are actually a new concept, and not really taking away anything that we already had. What I mean is, compare the level 9 Panda Reserve to other fully upgraded event buildings (or at least the final levels before any 'golden' upgrades) and you'll see the stats are pretty similar. This new upgrade level is just an additional layer of icing on top to yes, entice people to spend, because I don't think these upgrades are factored in for 'free' players. The power increase from them is pretty substantial. Free play is only designed around an expectation that a player will upgrade to level 9, but at least for this event there's a route to obtaining that final upgrade over time if it wasn't paid for.
Agreed. I am excited to aquire a few of these golden upgrades.

qaccy

This is the reason I'm finding less and less incentive to play this game. I spent money in the past because the game was enjoyable and it wasn't forced on us. Now they're forcing it on us. Pay...or don't get the good buildings. Well, I guess I'll do without that extra layer of icing on every building from now on. Of course, some players who pay to get them will come to the Forum and tell us everything is easy because they have those extra levels that the F2P players won't have. :rolleyes:
Hey, even free players do get access to these upgrades as well. It's just not necessarily guaranteed nor do I think it's really factored into event balancing that free players finish an event with a golden upgrade for their grand prize. And event buildings are still good without them! Like I said, I think the Panda Reserve (not the Shrine) is comparable to any other grand prize building like the Fiore Village, Sunflower Oil Press, or even the Tower of Conjunction (without its golden upgrade). These upgrades are just Inno figuring out how to create 'premium' event buildings, so I guess it's bringing back some of the old sentiments that players had about the diamond-only premium buildings in the build menu back when those were still relevant?

I'll admit to being someone willing to spend money on the game since I've enjoyed my time playing it, and for my part, I definitely like that I'm able to get more bang for my buck with this new upgrade system. If this was last year, the Panda Reserve would probably just stop at level 9 with no Panda Shrine at all but the rest of the event would be basically the same. I'd rather have that upgrade available than not!

xivarmy

Hey, even free players do get access to these upgrades as well. It's just not necessarily guaranteed nor do I think it's really factored into event balancing that free players finish an event with a golden upgrade for their grand prize. And event buildings are still good without them! Like I said, I think the Panda Reserve (not the Shrine) is comparable to any other grand prize building like the Fiore Village, Sunflower Oil Press, or even the Tower of Conjunction (without its golden upgrade). These upgrades are just Inno figuring out how to create 'premium' event buildings, so I guess it's bringing back some of the old sentiments that players had about the diamond-only premium buildings in the build menu back when those were still relevant?

I'll admit to being someone willing to spend money on the game since I've enjoyed my time playing it, and for my part, I definitely like that I'm able to get more bang for my buck with this new upgrade system. If this was last year, the Panda Reserve would probably just stop at level 9 with no Panda Shrine at all but the rest of the event would be basically the same. I'd rather have that upgrade available than not!
While the Panda Reserve could arguably be said to meet that standard, the prior 2 golden upgrade buildings did not. (i.e. regular Tower of Conjunction and regular Druid Hut were so weak they're not worth having to many developed cities - but the golden versions are much better).

But the pushback has had them make it more reasonable to get the golden versions after a delay if you want them.

You'll get your ability to turn the building golden eventually before you even finish the first 9 levels (the golden panda statue right before the last upgrade you need will make your golden upgrade over 150 days). So the worry is not the golden level, but whether or not you can get the first 9 to make that golden upgrade worth something. And in this event it's reasonable if you're not too bad at the minigame.

I think they just have, starting with anniversary event, reset the bar for what a main prize will look like. And that'll include a golden level you have to jump through hoops to get that may occasionally be "necessary" to make it a building you actually want (by new standards, not by good-enough-for-3-years-ago standards)

Johnny B. Goode

I'll admit to being someone willing to spend money on the game since I've enjoyed my time playing it, and for my part, I definitely like that I'm able to get more bang for my buck with this new upgrade system.
To me this statement just proves that it's turning into a pay to play game. Forget play to win, you can't win the game. But from being able to get any building for free by playing smart to only getting them if you spend money is a massive change to this game. And not for the good. If this keeps up, the only people playing FoE will be the pay to play players...all by themselves.

DreadfulCadillac

I don't think FOE will become much more pay to win (or play?) because of a simple principle: You can't have a pond filled with all whales. It just doesn't work, quite frankly. You need fishes in the pond (people not spending exorbitant sums of money), or you lose the majority of the playerbase (fishes). Lose the majority of the playerbase, who is left for the whales to compete against?

Exactly. Nobody. It's a delicate balance that Free to Play games have to strike - lean too much to one side, the game will die from a lack of players. Lean too much to the other side, and the game will die from a lack of funding. That's the balance Free to Play games have to maintain.

Orius Maximus

Though it's not a guarantee it'll show up on live, I would note that the Chain Piece selection kit for Panda Reserve did show up as a Daily Special on beta

That possibility did occur to me.

Ah wait, the announcement said they're in the dailies.

On the bright side of daily prizes, I did well enough today to finish off the building for last year's wildlife event...

I'm thinking the golden upgrade mechanic is a way of getting the whales to spend so they can get the full building faster. I'm not too bothered by it, because I don't always drop a new event building into my city right away. Sometimes I wait, especially if I'm getting ready to advance an age and I need to keep space open.

I don't think FOE will become much more pay to win (or play?) because of a simple principle: You can't have a pond filled with all whales. It just doesn't work, quite frankly. You need fishes in the pond (people not spending exorbitant sums of money), or you lose the majority of the playerbase (fishes). Lose the majority of the playerbase, who is left for the whales to compete against?

Exactly. Nobody. It's a delicate balance that Free to Play games have to strike - lean too much to one side, the game will die from a lack of players. Lean too much to the other side, and the game will die from a lack of funding. That's the balance Free to Play games have to maintain.

Unfortunately, that depends on what Inno's executives think.

Interestingly enough, I see Wishing Wells have made a return to events here. Just fragments, but I got them anyway in two different cities today. Cities being used as WW farms, so cake icing.

qaccy

While the Panda Reserve could arguably be said to meet that standard, the prior 2 golden upgrade buildings did not. (i.e. regular Tower of Conjunction and regular Druid Hut were so weak they're not worth having to many developed cities - but the golden versions are much better).

I think they just have, starting with anniversary event, reset the bar for what a main prize will look like. And that'll include a golden level you have to jump through hoops to get that may occasionally be "necessary" to make it a building you actually want (by new standards, not by good-enough-for-3-years-ago standards)
I dunno if I entirely agree with these bits. I mean, what's a 'developed city'? If it's one that's full of event buildings probably acquired over years...yeah, they're probably going to be more selective with what gets placed in their city and are a prime target for marketing these golden upgrades. But anyone else would probably be able to upgrade their city with the non-golden version, under the assumption that chunks of their city still contain normal buildings from the tech tree. Maybe a low bar to clear, but I don't think any grand prize event building is really that bad, either.

To me this statement just proves that it's turning into a pay to play game. Forget play to win, you can't win the game. But from being able to get any building for free by playing smart to only getting them if you spend money is a massive change to this game. And not for the good. If this keeps up, the only people playing FoE will be the pay to play players...all by themselves.
Players have always been able to spend limitlessly on events for more prizes. Players have always been able to be successful without spending as well. I don't think that's changed here. What has changed is the amount of benefit that spending can get you, but none of it's ever been 'required'. Paying has always been for convenience more than anything else. Doing the same thing but faster or better. Nothing really exclusive except for those diamond expansions, but those have been a thing for years now.

xivarmy

I dunno if I entirely agree with these bits. I mean, what's a 'developed city'? If it's one that's full of event buildings probably acquired over years...yeah, they're probably going to be more selective with what gets placed in their city and are a prime target for marketing these golden upgrades. But anyone else would probably be able to upgrade their city with the non-golden version, under the assumption that chunks of their city still contain normal buildings from the tech tree. Maybe a low bar to clear, but I don't think any grand prize event building is really that bad, either.
Cities can get pretty full of stuff pretty fast these days. Especially if they camp in some age rather than progress (which is the norm arguably). i.e. within 1 year a player is probably done with the build menu other than for building and immediately selling crap for quests.

It really doesn't take multiple years anymore (and the stuff that's multiple years old is probably a candidate for deletion for newer better stuff with a few exceptions).

CDmark

I got the Panda Pathway Selection kit, not much for me to use, so the Panda Reserve/Shrine will be on it's own, no chain. In the selection kit are the following buildings, all 4x2

Lotus Flower Lake - 6 FP. well, for someone looking for FP's it is nice at .75 per tile. I joined beta to see events ahead of time, right at the beginning of this event, I got 8 of them, 48 FP, really, really helps with leveling those GB's. So, new players and FP seekers, nice add on.
Purple Bamboo Park - Gives scaled defending defense, best case, 15% Blue D for SAJM. L2 ritual flame, 2x1, 12% D. This one is a bust in the city but will be popular in the AD for sale.
Bamboo Bridge - Gives scaled defending attack same as the park, 15% Blue A for SAJM. 4-L2 Tacts, half the space, 16%. So another AD item.
Note: For lower ages, the PBP and BB are even worse in comparison.

So, I guess we need to change the phrase, "If you believe that, I have a bridge AND PARK in Brooklyn to sell you" Maybe we can add, "To get there, just follow the signs to Lotus Flower Lake"

xivarmy

I got the Panda Pathway Selection kit, not much for me to use, so the Panda Reserve/Shrine will be on it's own, no chain. In the selection kit are the following buildings, all 4x2

Lotus Flower Lake - 6 FP. well, for someone looking for FP's it is nice at .75 per tile. I joined beta to see events ahead of time, right at the beginning of this event, I got 8 of them, 48 FP, really, really helps with leveling those GB's. So, new players and FP seekers, nice add on.
Purple Bamboo Park - Gives scaled defending defense, best case, 15% Blue D for SAJM. L2 ritual flame, 2x1, 12% D. This one is a bust in the city but will be popular in the AD for sale.
Bamboo Bridge - Gives scaled defending attack same as the park, 15% Blue A for SAJM. 4-L2 Tacts, half the space, 16%. So another AD item.
Note: For lower ages, the PBP and BB are even worse in comparison.

So, I guess we need to change the phrase, "If you believe that, I have a bridge AND PARK in Brooklyn to sell you" Maybe we can add, "To get there, just follow the signs to Lotus Flower Lake"
I used the Bamboo Bridge on beta. (won't be on any live world because I have different approaches to GE5 from skip it to negotiate it to advanced troops).

While it's less efficient and not a particularly good building it did afford getting a *lot* of attack for the defending army at once during wildlife event, which is the most needed stat for fighting GE5 - you can bump your defense for defending army by chugging potions, but if you can't do enough damage that won't be enough no matter how many you chug.

CDmark

I used the Bamboo Bridge on beta. (won't be on any live world because I have different approaches to GE5 from skip it to negotiate it to advanced troops).

While it's less efficient and not a particularly good building it did afford getting a *lot* of attack for the defending army at once during wildlife event, which is the most needed stat for fighting GE5 - you can bump your defense for defending army by chugging potions, but if you can't do enough damage that won't be enough no matter how many you chug.
Correct, if no L2 Tact towers, if does fill the Blue Attack deficiency we all have. Some could use it.