• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

With the arrival of battlegrounds, what is the future of the OBS (Observatory)?

ValkerieAnd

Aside from the goods that the treasury gets from the OBS, a key feature of the OBS was the guild support that it provides which helped on the GVG map.
With the inception of GBG (battlegrounds) and the ability for EVERYONE to play, GVG is just not worth the goods/men to obtain the sectors when the prestige returned from even a so~so run in GBG is so high.
For that reason, guild members are now asking why they need to keep their OBS as the 3x3 space can be better used for other things. ex replace with SoH (statue of honor)
Also, for new guild members, it almost seems worthless to require them to build one when in my guild they can get a level 1 SoH in 1 run of GBG based on our requirements. I agree the guild needs goods, but there are other ways of getting them. For an established guild - the Arc provides many more goods.

I was wondering if there were any plans for guild support in the future, or what your thoughts are on the future of the OBS. This is the main question here. Guild support. Many thanks

Last edited:

ValkerieAnd

GvG is still an active feature, even if some guilds do not find it worthwhile.

Also, Battlegrounds uses a lot of guild goods for province buildings. Anything that generates guild goods is useful.
Yes, however, the Arc and the SoH also produce goods.
I 'see' the future of GVG doing down the tubes as it is just not worth it when there are rewards and higher prestige available in GBG.
This is why I was wondering if there may be any future usage for the guild support which is the only additional feature of the OBS, and used to be required by most guilds.

DeletedUser

Yes, however, the Arc and the SoH also produce goods.
I 'see' the future of GVG doing down the tubes as it is just not worth it when there are rewards and higher prestige available in GBG.
This is why I was wondering if there may be any future usage for the guild support which is the only additional feature of the OBS, and used to be required by most guilds.
I have always encouraged all my guild members to have an Observatory. And if you are familiar with my posting you will know that it has nothing whatsoever to do with GvG and Support Pool. It is small, so for the lower level players especially, it will fit in much easier than the Arc. And it doesn't usually require trading for goods to acquire. The SoH may be a suitable substitute, but if you're not in a large guild and very active in GBG it will take a while to get even a level one SoH. And as @dontwannaname said, with the resource intensive nature of GBG every guild goods producing building will be helpful.

DeletedUser30312

It's still useful for guild goods.

Hell, I just put one in over on Greifental, where I'm in a guild by myself. The GBG rankings have me in Bronze with a bunch of guilds doing nothing, so 20 negotiations have given me a first place lead as mine is the only guild that's actually generating VP. This is the second GBG match where I can coast on everyone else's inactivity there. An Observatory cranking out guild goods makes it easier for me to plant a flag or a statue on a province I take since I don't have to dump my own goods in it.

Algona

what your thoughts are on the future of the OBS

Phenomenal question and well worth serious thought.

And that's where I'm leaving it for now, it's a deep rabbit hole with a lot of factors to consider.

Disagreed.

The reason? ''just not worth it' is subjective. Given a quarter million players, even a small percentage disagreeing because they enjoy the play or the rewards of GvG means thousands of folks who will see GvG as worth it.

Untold thousands who could and maybe still do GvG will agree with you and shift their focus to GBG.

There are also now untold thousands heavily invested in GvG.

As more players abandon GvG those who stay with it will have an ever more open field to dominate.

There's a cap on how much Guilds can get from GBG. The cap in GvG is a lot higher.

There will be a balance struck where the very top Guilds will be perpetual Diamond Leaguers and major players in GvG.* They will perpetuate GvG by actively recruiting and training more folk who want to try out GvG.

There's also gonna be plenty opportunity after folk notice what the top Guilds are doing for second tier Guilds to do well at GvG as a secondary effort after GBG.

Sorry for those of you who want to dance on the grave of GvG, it ain't coming any time soon.

*A whole new level of diplomacy strategy treachery has opened up. Guilds competing for the very top will (if they haven't already) start coordinating their efforts in GBG and GvG. Imagine what could happen when GvG enemies are also facing off in a GBG LEague.

DeletedUser29726

Well if your guild is serious about GBG, and not that large it may be worth powerleveling other treasury GBs in addition to the arc. Not every guild can afford unlimited buildings in GBG, and you could certainly increase the number afforded significantly in that situation with a level 60 observatory say. And maybe even a level 60 atomium after that.

A L1 SoH is not a comparable choice (the symbol on it is confusing but it's only 2 of each = 10 total, not 10 of each good like the GBs bearing the same symbol). A L4/5 SoH is comparable to a regular level observatory, but it'll take a new player a while to get there.

ODragon

Well if your guild is serious about GBG, and not that large it may be worth powerleveling other treasury GBs in addition to the arc. Not every guild can afford unlimited buildings in GBG, and you could certainly increase the number afforded significantly in that situation with a level 60 observatory say. And maybe even a level 60 atomium after that.

A L1 SoH is not a comparable choice (the symbol on it is confusing but it's only 2 of each = 10 total, not 10 of each good like the GBs bearing the same symbol). A L4/5 SoH is comparable to a regular level observatory, but it'll take a new player a while to get there.

I meant a L1 SoH while requires work to get, gives to the guild treasury and gives to the placer and in theory costs zero FP. An Obs take FP to get the BP and FP to level and really gives nothing to the owner. At low levels and early ages, I think an obs actually stunts a player slightly (a 3x3 that could be used to produce something that helps them).

I'm not at all against the Obs and once placed, there is no reason not to powerlevel it after everything else is powerlevelled. I'm just saying, in almost every guild I've ever been in, the Obs is for the support pool with the goods being a secondary consideration. If GvG goes away (or is played a lot less), the Obs gets a lot less valuable since 1/2 its bonus becomes moot.

DeletedUser29726

At low levels and early ages, I think an obs actually stunts a player slightly (a 3x3 that could be used to produce something that helps them).

This I agree on. I had a longstanding policy to not rush an observatory on new worlds, that I'd just manually donate to the treasury the goods that would be produced instead. But ultimately it is for goods that they were pushed for - arcs aren't readily available to everyone at the start of a world (even after someone hits FE only to diamond buyers or for an exorbitant amount of FP), and it's hard to count on people to make the needed donations to treasury on a new world especially if you're planning to unlock GE every week. Pushing everyone to get an observatory was a way to ensure an empty treasury on a new world could keep up.

On an established world, just get an arc instead became commonplace. Most people kept existing observatories, but noone cared if you built one anymore (support pool is a joke since support caps at 50% on non-HQ sectors which may as well be 0% to a well-built GvGer, and arc made more than enough goods in most cases - serious producers in serious GvG guilds sometimes camped FE and leveled all treasury buildings).

We may now swing towards more high end players leveling all treasury buildings in the name of more siege camps/palaces.

DeletedUser28132

In guilds with a lot of top era players, I see the Observatory as valuable to lower age players, but once you reach Space Age Mars they become essentially worthless. Every top guild's treasury has more SAM goods than they know what to do with, and that number is grows each week. A level 80 Arc contributes 820 SAM goods per day. As mentioned, the support pool feature is very insignificant, so why not allow SAM players, who frequently do most of the heavy lifting in a guild, build something else in that space that is more useful to everybody, including themselves.

RazorbackPirate

In guilds with a lot of top era players, I see the Observatory as valuable to lower age players, but once you reach Space Age Mars they become essentially worthless. Every top guild's treasury has more SAM goods than they know what to do with, and that number is grows each week. A level 80 Arc contributes 820 SAM goods per day. As mentioned, the support pool feature is very insignificant, so why not allow SAM players, who frequently do most of the heavy lifting in a guild, build something else in that space that is more useful to everybody, including themselves.
I disagree with your misguided belief that SAM players do the heavy lifting in a guild.

No one is stopping you from deleting your Obs and replacing it with something more valuable. As someone who fights in GBG exclusively, I could replace replace mine with a Checkmate Square and gain much preferred Attack boost. Now that I'm thinking about it...

The Lady Redneck

I think there is still a place for the OBS especially in new worlds where your city and guild are just starting out and you have not aquired the goods, BPs and space needed for bigger GBs. Even when you are better established you are always going to need goods, for GBG, GvG and even GE if you choose to negotiate. So a little 3x3 OBS will always help along side everything else.

As for the death of GvG. Not going to happen,

*A whole new level of diplomacy strategy treachery has opened up. Guilds competing for the very top will (if they haven't already) start coordinating their efforts in GBG and GvG. Imagine what could happen when GvG enemies are also facing off in a GBG LEague.
That is already happening. What is it that drove those top guilds in the first place?. The desire to be top, to be the number one. Then to keep that status. Now they have a new battle front to conquer. They have no intentions of leaving the old one for the new. They want both. That is the nature of power. In fact those top guild started recruiting members who are willing to excel not only in GvG, but also in GE and GBG as soon as they were each added to the game.

RazorbackPirate

I think there is still a place for the OBS especially in new worlds where your city and guild are just starting out and you have not acquired the goods, BPs and space needed for bigger GBs. Even when you are better established you are always going to need goods, for GBG, GvG and even GE if you choose to negotiate. So a little 3x3 OBS will always help along side everything else.
BPs for Obs are extremely rare unless you donate to other Obs. The problem in a new world is the difficulty in getting the first few established. The goods produced go into the guild treasury so they won't help with negotiations in any way.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Apparently you haven't seen the price of buildings in GBG. I think it is extremely short-sighted to eliminate any building that puts goods in the guild Treasury. Before GBG you might have been right, but not now. And if you think it's obsolete or useless, go ahead and replace it with something else. I would not want any of my guild members doing that, though, unless they were willing to start making manual donations to the Treasury.

Kranyar the Mysterious

There will be another source for guilds goods soon.

The upcoming Egyptian Settlement main reward building also gives guild goods as part of it's collections.