• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Women's sports

Johnny B. Goode

This ought to stir things up a bit. Name a sport where the women's version is as interesting and fun to watch as the men's version. I can only think of two. Tennis and soccer. Although I think the US is one of the few countries where the women's team is as good as or better than the men's team.
Basketball? Yeah, no. I truly never watch men's or women's pro basketball, and only watch men's college basketball during March Madness. And sometimes not even then.
Hockey? Negative.
Baseball/softball? Closer than most, but no.
Golf? Used to be decades ago, but not lately.
Football? Listen, if you have to play in lingerie to have a league, the answer is no.
Track and field? Honestly, does anyone pay attention to either men's or women's?
Swimming? Do they still do that as a competitive sport?
Anyway, what's your opinion? (And yes, I'm rather jaded when it comes to sports anymore.)

And just to roil the waters a little more, I believe that replay review has damaged every single sport that uses it. Every. One.

Graviton

Replay review has improved baseball; not as many bad calls are left to stand. It ain't perfect but it's closer than we were without it.

As for the rest of that, "fun" and "interesting" are by defintition subjective, so you can't really have a debate about them because nobody can be wrong.

Except soccer. If you like soccer, you're just wrong. :D

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

Olympic Sports yes. Snowboarding, skiing, most track, swimming,
Commercial sports not so much. I say the cause is mainly because the money has not been there for women, nor the support for many many years that men's versions have had support. (both from public and money),
So men who are athletic and talented are groomed right off to succeed in commercial sports and have a pipeline to them. Where Women do not. And women who do go for the few strong commercial sports are not nearly as rewarded nor given encouragement. In fact plenty are strongly discouraged from it yet.

Last edited:

Snek

Ski racing. I find it's better to watch women in that sport because they generally have better technique.
I'm not that into swimming, but I find the difference between girls and boys is not as vast as most other sports.

Johnny B. Goode

Replay review has improved baseball; not as many bad calls are left to stand. It ain't perfect but it's closer than we were without it.
I would disagree with this. Mainly because "clear and convincing" is not really the standard if you're paying attention. I have seen many calls overturned without meeting that standard. Unless those two words mean something different to MLB than they do to the rest of us. The best thing MLB has done in the last couple of decades is to get rid of the "neighborhood" play at second base, where the fielder didn't even have to touch the bag to record the out. But it's been replaced by minutes and minutes of everyone standing around while somebody in New York looks to see if a runner's foot came a millimeter off the bag. And replay has also messed with the minds of the officials in every sport. They're frequently afraid to call anything because of the possibility of it being overturned, and are constantly having conferences on what call to make on a play. It also completely counteracts all the efforts to speed up games. It's just a huge disaster.

Lucifee80

This ought to stir things up a bit. Name a sport where the women's version is as interesting and fun to watch as the men's version. I can only think of two. Tennis and soccer. Although I think the US is one of the few countries where the women's team is as good as or better than the men's team.
Basketball? Yeah, no. I truly never watch men's or women's pro basketball, and only watch men's college basketball during March Madness. And sometimes not even then.
Hockey? Negative.
Baseball/softball? Closer than most, but no.
Golf? Used to be decades ago, but not lately.
Football? Listen, if you have to play in lingerie to have a league, the answer is no.
Track and field? Honestly, does anyone pay attention to either men's or women's?
Swimming? Do they still do that as a competitive sport?
Anyway, what's your opinion? (And yes, I'm rather jaded when it comes to sports anymore.)

And just to roil the waters a little more, I believe that replay review has damaged every single sport that uses it. Every. One.
I am on bedrest so I put way too much thought into this! :D I think it comes down to the type of sports fan you are. I cheered throughout my school years and at the time I HATED all basketball games regardless of gender! Then I became a mom of boys and girls. My son was like magic on the baseball field! His passion and talent from age 3 and up was pure joy.Softball was mind numbing. I am also a Alabama native. We love football but only to the collegiate level.I was on our swim team for 6 years and I have to be honest. Why would anyone want to watch that? You have no clue what is actually happening just beneath that water line unless you are a swimmer. Who wants to watch flailing arms? I have much respect for track and field athletes. I was married to one and let me just say there is nothing on this earth that would prompt me to get up on a Sunday and run 18 miles or more in the winter in North Dakota.....their strength and endurance I respect but not a sport to watch. I think I too will just have to say womens volleyball!

The Lady Redneck

Show Jumping and Dressage I enjoy, but it does not matter whether the competitor is man or woman.
Is canine agility and obedience regarded as sport? Or sheepdog trials?
I will watch all the above and enjoy them. But have no real Interest in team sports at all. Although I will watch Scotland's Rugby team in action. And call be old fashioned if you like I just do not believe Rugby is a woman's Sport.

RazorbackPirate

In every male competition, the men are competing to be the best in the world. That's exciting to watch. A man running a distance in a time shorter than any other person in recorded history. A man throwing a discus or javelin farther than anyone ever before. Even football, American or otherwise, the winning team for that year was the best in the world. No one in the world could beat those men. They are, the best of the best, bar none.

Then there's women's sport. They're the best of the women. That's why the Australian women's Olympic soccer team can get beat 7-0 against a team of 15 year old boys. It's why a man ranked about 450 nationally, can transition and dominate women's swimming. No matter what sport, the best of the women can never place among the men, never mind be the best in the world. That's not exciting.

If you want me to watch, we're down to women's volleyball. But then it's not about the sport of volleyball, is it?

Sharmon the Impaler

A caveat about pro and Olympic sports , you must follow whatever rules the governing body of the sport imposes on the athletes and have the support and coaching in place to reach the apex of your sport. It is the best of the ones that made it to compete and not necessarily the best in the world. Women's MMA is really fun to watch for the sport , volleyball yes too but not for the sport :)

RazorbackPirate

A caveat about pro and Olympic sports , you must follow whatever rules the governing body of the sport imposes on the athletes and have the support and coaching in place to reach the apex of your sport. It is the best of the ones that made it to compete and not necessarily the best in the world.
This is a whole bunch of nonsense. In theory, there's some Kenyan tribesman who can out run Usain Bolt, but if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, did it happen? No. It didn't. If it did, their name would be in a book.

Sharmon the Impaler

It's not nonsense , a caveat is the literary equivalent of a footnote that either clarifies a passage or statement or puts it into context. Are they the best Olympian or professional athlete ? Yes. Are they the best in the world with no context given ? Maybe. An Olympic boxer wins the gold 3 Olympics in a row before they retire are they the best in the world at the time ?

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

In every male competition, the men are competing to be the best in the world. That's exciting to watch. A man running a distance in a time shorter than any other person in recorded history. A man throwing a discus or javelin farther than anyone ever before. Even football, American or otherwise, the winning team for that year was the best in the world. No one in the world could beat those men. They are, the best of the best, bar none.

Then there's women's sport. They're the best of the women. That's why the Australian women's Olympic soccer team can get beat 7-0 against a team of 15 year old boys. It's why a man ranked about 450 nationally, can transition and dominate women's swimming. No matter what sport, the best of the women can never place among the men, never mind be the best in the world. That's not exciting.

If you want me to watch, we're down to women's volleyball. But then it's not about the sport of volleyball, is it?
I could have gone the rest of my life without having read this misogynistic drivel. Thanks.