• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Did the Arc Improve the Game?

Freshmeboy

Yes, the Arc did improve the game...it's an exponential power GB, meaning once a single member of a guild has one all other members can get one as well and help level ALL their GB's quickly. Does it mean that players need to build FP cities...? Yes. Does it mean that swaps need to be made in large amounts to avoid outside snipers....? Yes. Does it supplant the Obs and give an edge to players leveling it to 10...? Absolutely. Provide the massive amounts of medals needed for the most valuable commodity, expansions, in the game....? Your damn tootin'. That much power can have negative effects as well but be you farmer or fighter, rich or free player, if you build it, it shaves TIME off your gaming experience reaching high levels of this game. What's more important than your time...?

DeletedUser

Being one of the first person having the arc in my world, I would say it improved my gameplay and many others, assuming you know what you are doing with your fp and gb.
Yeah, but you're a perfect example of what I was saying. You are a long time player that was already a huge fish in the pond, and the Arc just put you that much further ahead of the rest of us. And it didn't improve your gameplay, it just improved your game position, which is kind of the point here. It didn't (and still doesn't) benefit everyone equally.

Salsuero

Ok, well everyone is entitled to their opinion and you can all hate the Arc if you so desire. I don't and I will continue to level it and use it. No reason to keep commenting because I'm obviously not going to convince anyone of anything, nor they me. Enjoy the game, everyone. I absolutely do... Arc and all!

Freshmeboy

Another note here...I see many players with level 12 or 8 or 16 arcs that won't level them further...they are quite happy with the bonus fp return and the goods produced are enough for their guild treasury. They are not avid players, trying to maximize every fp they earn. They play a different style, a more relaxed, casual style with an emphasis on GE and are in no hurry to reach endgame or level their GBs to atmospheric levels. I see more of this from newer players as the arc becomes more dominant throughout the game. Does this mean they are left behind in terms of strength and inventory power...? Yes. Is this their choice...? Absolutely. Is this bad for the game...? No. everybody plays the game differently, so choices made to gain power through the Arc are just as distinct as gaining rewards through battle, the Chateau, farming, etc. Players who use the Arc as a focal point play differently than those that use it sparingly in a different playing style...either way they all benefit.

DeletedUser26120

That it would somehow increase the pressure for diamond sales?
I can't speak to other factors but I can say introducing Arc has definitely directly increased diamond sales - as I've seen numerous people pay the nearly $160 worth of diamonds to buy the goods for it and build it.

I don't know if that's indirectly lowered diamond sales elsewhere due to the effects described here but it definitely has directly increased sales.

DeletedUser29563

It seems rather clear that the Arc has been a tool to increase the disparity of wealth in the game. Since Thursday evening, I watched a player collaborate with "Arc friends" to raise his Château eight levels in 36 hours. This sort of maneuvering is normal among the new elite of the game. For mere mortals, such an advancement would take two months or longer.

Rich players certainly love a Great Building that has made them rich — by allowing them to leverage their Forge Point wealth into greater and greater amounts. This appreciation of the Arc is much like the Wall Street broker who sings the praises of capitalism.

But what about the rest of the players? Is being continually sniped and stomped by the rich supposed to be fun? I'm wondering why InnoGames introduced this Great Building last year. What were they thinking? That an increased disparity of wealth would encourage the average player to stay? That it would somehow increase the pressure for diamond sales?

Among the players who quit the game every month, it would be interesting to see how many did so because of the way that the Arc so radically changed the game.

View attachment 8861

View attachment 8865

View attachment 8866
Your intent and sympathy are admirable..but your logic is tragically broken

DeletedUser29563

have seen the disparity and frustration created by the Arc cause nothing but hard feelings within guilds,
Boo Flippin hoo.....the Arc is this games version of the same philanthropic or/and neo investment windows provided by real life economics in everyday life.
When it comes to "wealth" and investment..there are two types of people. Just as with the Arc..there are two types of players. Those who did...and those who didn't. Those who did..did so because they saw the reward of "doing". Those who didn't, for whatever reason, are left behind. But its not because they are under privileged..or downtrodden..or held back by the so called elite. Its simply because they "didn't".
So...that being said...of course it warps the economical dynamic. That's the intent. This game must have a social aspect. Its not a city building game..its not a war game. Its an EMPIRE building game. And survival of the fittest is the result.
We all start this game with the same opportunities. The same options and paths of travel. What we do with them is on US.
Just for the record...my highest ARC is level 14...and I have less than 1000fp in inventory.

DeletedUser29563

Yeah, but you're a perfect example of what I was saying. You are a long time player that was already a huge fish in the pond, and the Arc just put you that much further ahead of the rest of us. And it didn't improve your gameplay, it just improved your game position, which is kind of the point here. It didn't (and still doesn't) benefit everyone equally.
And it shouldn't...

DeletedUser31882

"Did the Arc Improve the Game?"

But what about the rest of the players? Is being continually sniped and stomped by the rich supposed to be fun? I'm wondering why InnoGames introduced this Great Building last year. What were they thinking? That an increased disparity of wealth would encourage the average player to stay? That it would somehow increase the pressure for diamond sales?

Context for my response: I started playing FoE this past fall. I lack the historical perspective of FoE's development.

Personal Opinion of The Arc: It is a must-have-optimal building if your play style involves GB contribution rewards. It increases the incentive to actively snipe/compete for top contribution spots. As a side effect, this means more FP contributions, thus GB levels, to anyone's GB an Arc owner touches. Add the guild good benefit and it seems like the perfect win-win GB. If I was rich, I would buy the diamonds to instant build this GB. I am not rich, so I will use strategy to get it ASAP. ASAP, in my current strategy outlook, is 3-12 months away.

Does the Arc Improve the game?:

Tough call. I currently lean towards yes.

The Arc generates more Forge points, the most valuable resource in the game. Since Forge Points & Time are the game's progression gates, The Arc speeds up progression for the owner and the GBs it accelerates. This means less time waiting to achieve one's goals. Since it is powerful, I can see it being an avenue for Inno to make money from diamond purchasers.

Mechanically, I don't see the Arc being functionally bad for the game. Since it accelerates a time-wasting game, I feel safe saying it is an improvement. On Paper.

"But what about the rest of the players? Is being continually sniped and stomped by the rich supposed to be fun?"

Social Interactions & Ramifications*shudders*. Now comes the complicated part.

Some confounding factors: What play style a player has, what triggers player enjoyment, and how other players may impinge on the previous two factors.

One of My Opinions of Players complaining about the Arc: Entitled brats~ (Just kidding!... Kinda?)

The rich always win. They have the resources to do it, so the only way to beat the rich is to out-rich them or institute communism; hopefully with a bloody...er.. bloodless revolution.

The Arc is an advantage to the GB contribution reward 'farming' play style. The complaints towards the Arc feel like a player in an MMoRPG complaining that another player's new Gear ruins their winning streak in PVP. Or a FPS player complaining about a certain class/character being over-powered. Or any 'Pay to win' game. Or a new player wanting all the advantages of a 2-4 year verteran player of the game, without the time & trouble the veteran player invested. It comes off as petulant, especially when the player can work to equalize the 'disadvantage'.

I see similar behavior with 'Fair Trade' and '1FP donations are rude!' rhetoric. It's all about what is fair.

Since the Arc tips the scales in the fair department, it makes sense that it gets blamed, instead of the the actual problem of wealth disparity.

Some solutions focus around isolation tactics. Block that guy that snipes, Only allow trusted guildies/friends donate to GBs, etc. because a player wants the contribution rewards to go to Player X instead of Player Y. That is where the 'entitled brat' reveals itself. They feel entitled to the rewards and don't want that 'other guy' to have it. It is their precious...

Anywho. That's just one way of looking at it.

Other factors that could explain Players who quit due the Arc: Only way to compete in contribution rewards is to join an Arc raising cult. Player boredom from too many FPs. A player really doesn't like their GBs being leveled by a neighboring Arc player. The Arc is ugly. The Arc takes up to much space. Player doesn't like the subtle religious allusion that the Arc elicits. The Arc is the gateway from normal play to rich play.

That's all I got for now. Happy Forging!

DeletedUser29563

Just another thought. It seems to me that the "tongue & cheek" opinion of some on this forum is that Inno doesn't know what they're doing. We read it all the time.
But IMO...at least with the Arc...they knew exactly what they were putting in the game here. And exactly what the result would be...

DeletedUser29563

Context for my response: I started playing FoE this past fall. I lack the historical perspective of FoE's development.

Personal Opinion of The Arc: It is a must-have-optimal building if your play style involves GB contribution rewards. It increases the incentive to actively snipe/compete for top contribution spots. As a side effect, this means more FP contributions, thus GB levels, to anyone's GB an Arc owner touches. Add the guild good benefit and it seems like the perfect win-win GB. If I was rich, I would buy the diamonds to instant build this GB. I am not rich, so I will use strategy to get it ASAP. ASAP, in my current strategy outlook, is 3-12 months away.

Does the Arc Improve the game?:

Tough call. I currently lean towards yes.

The Arc generates more Forge points, the most valuable resource in the game. Since Forge Points & Time are the game's progression gates, The Arc speeds up progression for the owner and the GBs it accelerates. This means less time waiting to achieve one's goals. Since it is powerful, I can see it being an avenue for Inno to make money from diamond purchasers.

Mechanically, I don't see the Arc being functionally bad for the game. Since it accelerates a time-wasting game, I feel safe saying it is an improvement. On Paper.

"But what about the rest of the players? Is being continually sniped and stomped by the rich supposed to be fun?"

Social Interactions & Ramifications*shudders*. Now comes the complicated part.

Some confounding factors: What play style a player has, what triggers player enjoyment, and how other players may impinge on the previous two factors.

One of My Opinions of Players complaining about the Arc: Entitled brats~ (Just kidding!... Kinda?)

The rich always win. They have the resources to do it, so the only way to beat the rich is to out-rich them or institute communism; hopefully with a bloody...er.. bloodless revolution.

The Arc is an advantage to the GB contribution reward 'farming' play style. The complaints towards the Arc feel like a player in an MMoRPG complaining that another player's new Gear ruins their winning streak in PVP. Or a FPS player complaining about a certain class/character being over-powered. Or any 'Pay to win' game. Or a new player wanting all the advantages of a 2-4 year verteran player of the game, without the time & trouble the veteran player invested. It comes off as petulant, especially when the player can work to equalize the 'disadvantage'.

I see similar behavior with 'Fair Trade' and '1FP donations are rude!' rhetoric. It's all about what is fair.

Since the Arc tips the scales in the fair department, it makes sense that it gets blamed, instead of the the actual problem of wealth disparity.

Some solutions focus around isolation tactics. Block that guy that snipes, Only allow trusted guildies/friends donate to GBs, etc. because a player wants the contribution rewards to go to Player X instead of Player Y. That is where the 'entitled brat' reveals itself. They feel entitled to the rewards and don't want that 'other guy' to have it. It is their precious...

Anywho. That's just one way of looking at it.

Other factors that could explain Players who quit due the Arc: Only way to compete in contribution rewards is to join an Arc raising cult. Player boredom from too many FPs. A player really doesn't like their GBs being leveled by a neighboring Arc player. The Arc is ugly. The Arc takes up to much space. Player doesn't like the subtle religious allusion that the Arc elicits. The Arc is the gateway from normal play to rich play.

That's all I got for now. Happy Forging!
You Sir...just dropped an Atomic bomb on this whole conversation. Thank you for your insight...now excuse me while I hunker into my fall out shelter!

DeletedUser15539

I wish I could wave my magic wand and have the Arc never be introduced. I also wish I could inject some sense into those who whine about the boogey-man of inequality, whether it be in real life or in FOE. But alas, I don't have a magic wand. I'm not about to apologize that I have a L80 Arc in "A" world because I busted my backside for months to save up the goods to build it, and then level it up. I'm also not about to apologize that I use that L80 Arc every chance I get.

DeletedUser31540

I started in May of this year thus have never know foe without the Arc. I guild-hopped and played very casually for the first 2 months... then i landed in a real friendly guild (by chance) and under their guidance and direction i started to become a more serious and committed player. The first thing my guild leader stressed to me was the importance of the arc and how much it would help the guild if i got one. Immediately i began accosting people with arcs and requesting to do fp swaps with them trying to get myself a set of prints.

Mid-September I finally i got all the prints and then found someone to sell me the goods... after paying a grueling 625 forge points I build the Arc and my guildmates were so happy with me they brought it to lv 4 within 10 hours!

Today my Arc is lv 9 and i've been leveling it every 2 weeks in tandem with the hood shuffler.

Speaking as a new player I believe that the Arc made me more interested and committed to the game than I would have been had inno never came out with the Arc. So while its true that this GB increases the wealth disparity among players it also (?wrongly?) serves as a beacon of hope among new players as a GB that can feasibly help them join the ranks of the elite.

Also to those that dont have an Arc / are angry about them .... all is not lost. Arcs in the game can still be a huge boon to your development without even having to own one.... Simply find someone with a level 80 arc. People with a lv 80 arc get 1.9x the normal reward (medals fps bps) so if the reward for 1st is 100 forge points a lv 80 arcer would get 190 instead. All you have to do is make it certain that the person with the big arc can lock in first for for less than 190 and everyone wins ... you get boatloads of free points and the big arcer got some fps for free

Falconwing

As much as I like my Arc, I can say it was a mistake to introduce. Maybe if they had capped it's bonuses or total levels it would have been fine, but if you have an Arc of a higher level and donate FP's to Arcs of level 25+, you can lock in 1st or 2nd place and win more FP's than it cost you. It becomes a FP generator with a side bonus of generating massive amounts of medals. I know a guy in EMA who had 7k FP's in storage a month ago and I'd bet he has over 10k now. He's also maxed out on medal expansions.

Freshmeboy

Lots of interesting opinions and comments here but what Matthew said grabbed my attention...INNO knew EXACTLY what it was doing introducing the Arc into the game. Land is the most valuable commodity in the game hands down...Victory medals are the key to more expansions and at 520K for the last available one, how many decades of gameplay would it take to achieve this feat using the pvp towers and the GB That Dare Not Be Named without the Arc...? Keeping top tier players interested in the game means setting powerful goals that can realistically be reached in the course of a few years....Leveling GBs to the atmosphere and gathering every bit of land is accomplished only through the Arc....what would we do without it...?