• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter's SoK

• Thread starter DeletedUser27184
  • Start date

DeletedUser31498

Ha we are talking past each other, but " The two of you are both making statements that are, on net, correct."

THAT is incorrect. He said not to try on the first SoK day. That advice is categorically wrong. That was what my 100% was referring to. OPTIMIZING, is so much more complicated that it's not worth going into, given almost no one can even understand going for it at all lol

Salsuero

Looks like I did ok for being so wrong:
Screen shot 2017-12-26 at 9.10.51 PM copy.png

...despite hitting Shuffle All last once:
Screen shot 2017-12-26 at 9.06.43 PM.png

...and hitting the SoK first once:
Screen shot 2017-12-26 at 9.08.07 PM.png

I wouldn't have hit my sixth if I hadn't saved my stars:
Screen shot 2017-12-26 at 9.18.35 PM.png

Never a doubt in my mind. I hope you all did well and had a fun event. I did... and now I'm done with mine.

DeletedUser31540

View attachment 9032

View attachment 9030

View attachment 9031

View attachment 9033

Never a doubt in my mind. I hope you all did well and had a fun event. I did... and now I'm done with mine.

I also got 6 SoKs from the Winter event so far!!!! I stopped doing quests dec 19 but i might do 5 more quests to get 1 last one (or maybe even 2)

I got 1 the first time it was offered and 5 just now .... Wohooo!!!

I also got 1 HoF and 2 Champ Retreat ... this has been without a doubt a successful event for me and just as fun if not more fun than the Summer one was!!!

Algona

Outstanding!

But I also hit 6 SoK tonite. And I had already won one earlier. And I picked up an HoF last week as well.

Gloat? Me? NEVER! What, never? HARDLY EVER!

As I noted in the Feedback thread, nothing like a phenomenal run of luck to turn a crappy Event into a great Event.

Or to have the last word in an argument.

(OK, I admit, it's not the last word, and I freely acknowledge that it was indeed a phenomenal run of luck. It's kinda weird, I seem to run stupidly lucky in every Event. I think veing a fanboi helps.)

So, yeah, I will gloat. A little.

blueskydwg

Outstanding!

But I also hit 6 SoK tonite. And I had already won one earlier. And I picked up an HoF last week as well.

Wait - what? How do you get more than one SoK? Do you keep going until you hit shuffle and then get another? I'm really confused. I was just happy to get one today? :)

blueskydwg

OK - I have enough for about 17 more selections - but still have 9 spots to go in the current look. Even if I'm lucky enough to get the shuffle on the very first pick, I'll still have to hit the SoK fairly quickly on the next batch. Think I'll pass and see what tomorrow brings. :D

DeletedUser31592

With my 2 cities with 500 stars, I got 4 each.
In my city with 400 stars, I got 3.
In my city with only 180 stars, I got 3 as well. Lucked out and got it with 2x :)

I've been collecting event pieces in my other 3 cities. I had 80 stars in one, so I decided to try. Hit the shuffle on the second attempt and decided not to try anymore in any of those cities.

DeletedUser31498

View attachment 9032

View attachment 9030

View attachment 9031

View attachment 9033

So after you won your first SoK....did you spend any stars, actually HOPING to hit reshuffle? Those were wasted, sorry.

I'm glad you did well. You would have had more stars, but given how few you ended up with, likely would have done the same. congrats!!

But seriously, the feeling of hoping to hit reshuffle must have been shocking to those who thought not playing for SoK the first time was correct, lol.

Freshmeboy

Doubtful...but if I was running the show I would showcase that badboy on the last day of the event to spur diamond sales...Meanwhile, I can't complain..I nailed 8 SoK's without spending a dime for a total of nine for the event....much better than last year. Saving for the end definitely paid off....

DeletedUser

So after you won your first SoK....did you spend any stars, actually HOPING to hit reshuffle? Those were wasted, sorry.

I'm glad you did well. You would have had more stars, but given how few you ended up with, likely would have done the same. congrats!!

But seriously, the feeling of hoping to hit reshuffle must have been shocking to those who thought not playing for SoK the first time was correct, lol.
And I'm sorry, gutmeister, but you are wrong. I went for multiple SoKs today on multiple worlds where I had passed on trying the first time they were offered. With the extra Stars I was able to accumulate, I was able to get 4 SoKs on 2 of the 4 worlds, and 3 on the other 2. No Stars were wasted in this effort, as every Star spent contributed to the end result. And the feeling of hoping to hit reshuffle was not shocking at all, as I have played this game multiple years. My experience in the game is what told me (correctly) to wait until the second appearance of SoKs to try for them. :D

DeletedUser32389

And I'm sorry, gutmeister, but you are wrong. I went for multiple SoKs today on multiple worlds where I had passed on trying the first time they were offered. With the extra Stars I was able to accumulate, I was able to get 4 SoKs on 2 of the 4 worlds, and 3 on the other 2. No Stars were wasted in this effort, as every Star spent contributed to the end result. And the feeling of hoping to hit reshuffle was not shocking at all, as I have played this game multiple years. My experience in the game is what told me (correctly) to wait until the second appearance of SoKs to try for them. :D

This has been the case in my experience as well. I threw some stars out early to get a rogue hideout, but besides that I've learned that if you can, you want to save your stars (or whatever) for the second SoK. There are 18 choices (presents), 2 you want (SoK and shuffle) and you need to get them in that order to accumulate shrines. Having more tries at once increases your odds of winning because of the solid 18 presents. If the whole thing reshuffled every time you selected a present on the other hand, then you would be correct and it wouldn't statistically matter if you save them up or not.

I scored 6 from about 560 stars today FYI

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31498

This has been the case in my experience as well. I threw some stars out early to get a rogue hideout, but besides that I've learned that if you can, you want to save your stars (or whatever) for the second SoK. There are 18 choices (presents), 2 you want (SoK and shuffle) and you need to get them in that order to accumulate shrines. Having more tries at once increases your odds of winning because of the solid 18 presents. If the whole thing reshuffled every time you selected a present on the other hand, then you would be correct and it wouldn't statistically matter if you save them up or not.

Ok last post I promise. @Hootengoben your last sentence is exactly why I was right. Once you hit a SoK, you need to hit reshuffle to keep winning. I won a SoK the first time it was offered, and stopped. So I saved all the attempts at hitting reshuffle. If I had hit reshuffle beofre SoK that first day, I'd have stopped and been in the same boat as waiting until today, hitting reshuffle first and still going (yes, with more stars lol).

But, since I did hit SoK first, I saved the stars you all spent trying to find reshuffle the first time. I'm sorry only three people on here seem to understand, but I've tried my best. I'm glad so many people had good luck today.

Ok until next year haha

Salsuero

Ok last post I promise.

Best Christmas gift EVER!!!

I won a SoK the first time it was offered, and stopped.

That's not a guarantee. Had I spent them and not hit the SoK, but instead hit several other gifts before the Shuffle All... I would not have had enough stars to get my 6th SoK this time. I only had 24 stars left to hit that last SoK and hit it. If I had wasted just two attempts the first time without hitting, I wouldn't have had enough this time. So... nope!

I'm sorry only three people on here seem to understand

I'm sorry... only three people seem to be incorrect. See how easy that is?

DeletedUser31498

Ok I lied. Just one more question to hopefully help you next year.

After you hit your first SoK, did you spend any stars to find the reshuffle? If I had said to you "after your first SoK, I'll automatically reshuffle for you right away," would you prefer that?

If you guys can't understand how I played the second version, and you all played the first, then I've failed as a teacher lol.

DeletedUser31882

Any idea odds of another SoK day?

My bet is on 0.00% chance.

Ok last post I promise. @Hootengoben your last sentence is exactly why I was right. Once you hit a SoK, you need to hit reshuffle to keep winning. I won a SoK the first time it was offered, and stopped. So I saved all the attempts at hitting reshuffle. If I had hit reshuffle beofre SoK that first day, I'd have stopped and been in the same boat as waiting until today, hitting reshuffle first and still going (yes, with more stars lol).

But, since I did hit SoK first, I saved the stars you all spent trying to find reshuffle the first time. I'm sorry only three people on here seem to understand, but I've tried my best. I'm glad so many people had good luck today.

Ok until next year haha

As someone who used all their stars on the first SoK day, I get the wisdom here. I should have cut my losses and saved my remaining stars after I cleared half the board and got a shuffle tile. Live and learn. I got 5 SoKs today, so I won't be crying over spilled milk anymore.

That's not a guarantee. Had I spent them and not hit the SoK, but instead hit several other gifts before the Shuffle All... I would not have had enough stars to get my 6th SoK this time. I only had 24 stars left to hit that last SoK and hit it. If I had wasted just two attempts the first time without hitting, I wouldn't have had enough this time.

The problem here is conflating assumption of failure (What if) with the evidence of current success(Yay congrats!). What if you had just used one attempt and gotten an SoK? then you'd have 7! What if those two 'wasted attempts' were a X2 & SoK! Then you'd have... seven? Is that the right math? Who cares! You got SoKs! SoKs for everyone!

If I'm around in 2-3 years... My city is going to be very boringly full of SoKs...

DeletedUser

Ok I lied. Just one more question to hopefully help you next year.

After you hit your first SoK, did you spend any stars to find the reshuffle? If I had said to you "after your first SoK, I'll automatically reshuffle for you right away," would you prefer that?

If you guys can't understand how I played the second version, and you all played the first, then I've failed as a teacher lol.
I finally understand what you're saying. You're still wrong, but at least now I know why you think you're right.

Just for fun, let's imagine you try your way and the first time SoKs are offered you open 4 miscellaneous presents then hit shuffle. By your strategy, you stop then, right? How do you not see that that is a waste of 50 Stars? The only possible way your strategy makes sense is if you hit the SoK before you hit the shuffle and then stop. But even then, you would have to hit the SoK rather quickly, because if you hit it more than halfway through the presents, you've lost any advantage over waiting because you've used 80+ Stars. Now imagine you wait until the second go round of the SoK. Now you have 400, 500, maybe even 600 Stars. Now you have to be very unlucky not to get multiple SoKs. I did it my way on 4 worlds, and on every one I got multiple SoKs, and I believe the most Stars I had on any of them was about 500. The least # of SoKs I won on a single world was 3.

This is my 3rd Winter Event with the opening of presents, and you (and your two cohorts in wrongness) are about the only players I've run into that fail to see that it is better to save up Stars than waste them piecemeal. :)