• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Get your first two great buildings in less than a month

Beer Guy

Forgive the ignorance. I select the social tab then select the guilds tab. there are approx 90 or so that show up at a time. Is there another way to do it?

Second question. I think I read something about the sustainability of doing the unbirthday RQ but I cant find it again. Are these worth hitting?
Not sure how to quantify but I did the unbirthday RQ 26 times and got
1 reward (20) Diamonds, 3 Dye rewards, 2 stone rewards, 1 medal reward, 2 lumber, 5 med FP, 2 wine, 1 marble, 1 BP, 6 rewards were $$$, 2 rewards were supplies

Thanks again

Last edited:

Vger

Forgive the ignorance. I select the social tab then select the guilds tab. there are approx 90 or so that show up at a time. Is there another way to do it?

Second question. I think I read something about the sustainability of doing the unbirthday RQ but I cant find it again. Are these worth hitting?
Not sure how to quantify but I did the unbirthday RQ 26 times and got
1 reward (20) Diamonds, 3 Dye rewards, 2 stone rewards, 1 medal reward, 2 lumber, 5 med FP, 2 wine, 1 marble, 1 BP, 6 rewards were $$$, 2 rewards were supplies

Thanks again
On PC, click the 3 People icon on bottom left, click on the wreath for global rankings, then click the Guild tab.
On mobile, click the Trophy on top left, the click Guilds tab.

Guilds are sorted by rank. Most high level guilds are not open invite, so you need to work down the list. Remember where you left off when you find one to join. Keep working down the list. Yeah, it's slow.

Do as many UBQs as you can. But leave a buffer of coins and supplies (usually it's just supplies) for other things. The goods and FP packs you get will add up.
Once you build a CF, the quests become even more profitable, but you aren't quite there yet.

Beer Guy

So I have been playing for 5 days now and have ToB and only need 1 BP for several other GBs. My question is I only need one BP to complete Zeus but have several duplicates on others. Should I trade hoping I get the one I need or should I just wait and be patient.

thanks

Nicholas002

So I have been playing for 5 days now and have ToB and only need 1 BP for several other GBs. My question is I only need one BP to complete Zeus but have several duplicates on others. Should I trade hoping I get the one I need or should I just wait and be patient.

thanks
Trade 2:1 to complete the first set.
Once you have it built, though, don’t trade anymore. Save the extras for the levels after 10.

Beer Guy

I have been playing and following the guide for about 3 weeks and have 2 GBs and a full set of BPs for 3 other.
My question is I am still in BA but on level 3 with TOB and Zeus, which is more important to be leveling up at this time?

Lady Gato

What is your goal for your city? Do you plan on fighting? Do you plan on trading? Or do you know yet? Leveling up Babel allows you to get rid of your houses and build more supply and/or goods buildings. Of course it may reduce your coin production too (can't harvest coins from non existent houses). But you don't want to neglect your Zeus because when you age up to IA, you may find it better to fight in GE rather than use your goods up in negotiating. Perhaps do a level on Babel, then do a level on Zeus. And take Babel up to about 5 for Bronze Age, but keep leveling Zeus past that even if you still are in Bronze Age.

Beer Guy

Hi Lady,
Not sure what the future plans are yet. I do know so far, I suck at fighting. I just cant seem to get the hang of it.

I know this is a loaded question but I feel like I am not getting anywhere at this point. I am still following the guide doing RQs etc.
I have 400K coins about 30K supplies, 70 FPs, 300-400 each of BA goods, ZERO IA goods, Zues lvl5, TOB lvl4, Have BPs for 6 more GBs (just need supplies to build)
When should I make the jump to IA.
Can I continue to follow the guide once I get to IA?
Thanks for the help!

Lady Gato

Hi Lady,
Not sure what the future plans are yet. I do know so far, I suck at fighting. I just cant seem to get the hang of it.
SNIP
To answer your last question - YES continue to follow the guide once you get to IA. It becomes more of a reference as you go rather than a step by step guide as you find things that simply don't apply to the style of play that you develop. But it is good to know the information to make an informed choice.

Bronze Age is tedious. It's been about 2 months since I aged up to IA. It is a lot more fun with the fighting and GE and investing in GBs. But it wouldn't have been near as fun without the basics that the guide has you do in Bronze.

I know you will hate to hear this -- stay in Bronze till you have a couple of more items. Goods Required - this link shows you what goods you will require to do the research in the tech tree. I would suggest you trade up for at least 50 each of IA goods so you are ready to do the required research for rebuilding your town when you age up. Try to get at least 200k in supplies. Do you have an Oracle down? What gbs do you have the full bps for?

Have you got all of your diamonds from doing the RQs? How about medals? My notes from going up to IA - I had enough medals for 2 Medals Expansions and 3/4 of the way to the next expansion.

Someone also told me with a "stockpile of 250+ FP can buy a top slot on an Arc for 100 FP getting 30 back and getting enough Medals for an expansion."

After you do some (or all) of the above -- you need to pick a date, keeping in mind GE begins every Tuesday (& last for 6 days) so if you plan on participating - (and you can do so without opening your city to be plundered (don't research military tactics till you are ready to be plundered)) best to age up prior to GE starting.

And while you are in Bronze you can pre-pay part of Iron Age tech - just don't finish (completely pay for) an Iron Age tech because that will take you into Iron Age. And while you are pre-paying, look thru the research & plot what is needed so you can get to settlements. Some of the settlement buildings (rewards you get for completing settlements) give you similar rewards that you would get from a GB but without the size of some gbs or the fp output to level said gbs. Just a way to easier growth in the early months. Now I don't mean the settlements are easy. They are a challenge. My guild leader
suggested I start with Egyptians. The settlement forces you to battle in order for the settlement to move forward. It forces you to learn battling which was
very helpful to me.

Hope this helps.

Lady Gato

Phenomenal post Lady Gato.

Me too. I've never been a good fighter. Still suck, but have managed to learn enough.

Two broad choices here. Don't fight or get better at fighting. Would you like a quick and dirty Guide to fighting through LMA?
Yes -- would love a quick & dirty guide on fighting thru LMA !!

Beer Guy

Lady Gato,
I have no real issue staying a while longer in BA if it helps me down the road.
In answer to your questions.
Diamonds - I have 400 . I have not spent any. I am not sure if I have all that are available.
Medals - I have been using medals to expand territory. I currently have 600 / need 1000 total for next expansion. I hope that is the correct use for them.
Great Buildings-I have full sets of BP for the following (just need goods)
Catherdral of Aachen, Colosseum, Hagia Sophia, Lighthouse, Notre Dame,SaintBasil's Cathedral (I know some of these are usless?)
I must have messed up because I do not have the Oracle nor do I have BPs for it. I am not sure what I did.
IA Tree- I have researched but need one more forge point each to complete the first 3 IA Techs.

As for trading to get IA goods..... This has not worked out very well for me. I have been trying over the past few days but no luck. What is the key to success here?

Algona,
Not sure what you mean LMA? But yes I would like to see the guide or get assistance.

Thank you both for your time and suggestions. I will use them!

Lady Gato

Lady Gato,
I have no real issue staying a while longer in BA if it helps me down the road.
In answer to your questions.
Diamonds - I have 400 . I have not spent any. I am not sure if I have all that are available.

Medals - I have been using medals to expand territory. I currently have 600 / need 1000 total for next expansion. I hope that is the correct use for them.

Great Buildings-I have full sets of BP for the following (just need goods)
Catherdral of Aachen, Colosseum, Hagia Sophia, Lighthouse, Notre Dame,SaintBasil's Cathedral (I know some of these are usless?)

I must have messed up because I do not have the Oracle nor do I have BPs for it. I am not sure what I did.

As for trading to get IA goods..... This has not worked out very well for me. I have been trying over the past few days but no luck. What is the key to success here?

[Diamonds from RQs=80 so with 400 you are doing well. Keep your diamonds & use them for land expansions. Later on you might have to use them to open additional slots in a rogue den (for example) but you aren't there yet.]

[Yes that is the correct use of them. They are also used for extra attempts in GE and sometimes used in more complex negotiations. So when you think you are ready to age up - have saved the # of medals you need for the next 2 and 3/4 expansions. For me. my next expansion is 21,000 medals]

[Lighthouse - you should put down as soon as you have room for because it is very helpful. Colosseum and Notre are gbs most people say never to put down. I actually was able to get a full set of bps for the Arc while in Bronze. I've put it down in one IA city but I haven't put it down yet in my other city (that's a whole different story), but it is much cheaper getting arc prints by aiding than by paying for them (by putting down fps on gbs).]

[The Oracle is a gb you get in quests that are part of the tutorial. Perhaps someone here can help you or advise you on how to fix your issue. I know that once you get into IA, you can put fps down on other players' Oracles and get a full set of bps to raise an Oracle but I don't know if that would be a waste of fps. Hopefully, someone else will be able to chime in here.]

[Are you part of a guild? A lot of times when I couldn't get the outside marketplace to pick up my trades -- my guildies will. IF your guild is not active or is not helping you -- run, run, RUN to another guild. You might have to go back to guild hopping (or you may still be guild hopping) to find one. I kept notes on the good ones I found while glarging. Then I happened upon the ones I am in. And if you are still glarging - every time you stop in a new guild - check the trades that are available there. Have you got some good friends in the game that you chat with? Ask them (without spamming them) to pick up your trades. Finally, you might set up trades where you are selling 15 stone for 10 iron (instead of 20 stone for 10 iron).

[Resources that I have found to be scarcer in bronze age -- stone and wine. So if you have the resources for these goods - you might want to concentrate in offering those alone.]

[No problem, glad to help. Just message if anything is unclear or something else comes up.]

Algona

Keep in mind, this is quick and dirty. Well, sorta.

Goal is to be able to fight all 64 GE Encounters and deep into GBG. This can take months.

There are two aspects to getting better at fighting. Building up attack capability and learning tactics.

1) Building up attack capability.

Build enough Barracks, your exact fighting technique will determine that. If you do a lot of wedge fighting (see below) you'll want 2 Heavy, 2 Art, 2 Fast, 2 Ranged, 1 Light.

Yeah, that's a lot of barracks and city space. Yer gonna fight a lot and lose lots of troops and score buckets of treasures from GE and GBG.

Increase your Attacking Troops combat bonuses. How high a bonus should you try to get? Enough to win all your fights!

Acquire and level Combat GBs (in rough order, Zeus, CdM, CoA, Traz, TA, Kraken, AO) and get attack boosting Special Buildings. The fist four should be enough to get you through LMA, but adding the other three will make fighting easier.
Note: Won't cover how to use Traz, ask the person you buy the Goods from.

GE gets tougher as you move up in Era, you will prolly be adding to your attack capability for some tome to come.

2) Learning tactics: fighting the actual fight.

Don't autobattle. There will come a time when you will, but let's learn to fight first?

Learn the strengths and weaknesses of each troop, terrain effects, range, movement, and order in which troops move. You also need to study the defensive AI how it moves and targets troops. You also need to learn how to evaluate the army you are attacking and which troops you should use.

Note: I ain't covering using Rogues today. That's a whole 'nuther topic. Same for Champs, Drummers, Flags.

Fights through LMA break into two categories. Those with 3 or less total Artillery and or Ranged Units, those with more.

Select the troops you'll use based on the composition of the enemy army. Makes sure to check the troops ion the second wave!

Don't Autobattle.

Don't fight with wounded Troops.

Win the Artillery duel first.

----------

Wedge fighting:

My basic fighting formation against 3 or less Art/Rabged is a wedge of 5 Heavy and 3 Art . Place the 5 Heavy in a > anchored on the left border of the map. Place the 3 Art (you can use Ranged if there is no enemy Art) inside the >.

Once arranged, don't move. Repeat, do not break the formation. Wait for the enemy to come to you. Use your Artillery to kill their Artillery and Ranged units first. Do NOT move your Art out of the >! Then start shooting the melee units (fast, light, heavy) as they approach. Let their melee units come right up to the formation and hit your Heavies. you'll klil them on your turn.

----------

Against 4 or more Art/Ranged you'll want to use some combo of Fast / Light / Ranged / Art and be aggressive, but do not spread your forces out. Sorry, no one tactic will work , you'll need to experiment.

The entire time you fight, keep an eye on what the AI does. With each fight note what worked and didn't.

It's all about learning and experimenting, so work at it. It will take time - "Patience is the primary virtue of FoE"

Good luck.

DevaCat

@Beer Guy, lots of good advice here.

I wouldn't worry about not having/getting the Oracle, it's pretty much a training wheels gb anyway. Its main value in a startup city is to provide a place to dump fps until the tech is unlocked that lets you contribute to other peoples' GBs. Your Zeus is a much better use for that purpose. :)

Saint Basils is a large, pretty gb that's geared for players who want to try to build extremely strong city defense armies. It can be argued that this is a futile endeavor lol, but some people just like that game and will build it. My take is that much later is the time to build it, if ever. A young city needs FP production, supplies, goods and Attack -- Basil doesn't help with any of that. You will get attacked, your defense army will get slaughtered, and the attacker will try to plunder. Just collect your stuff on time and don't sweat the attack -- the defense army gets magically resurrected at no cost to you.

@Lady Gato already mentioned the Lighthouse, it gives you goods that can't be plundered and boosts your supplies producers. Of the rest of the GBs you mentioned, Aachen makes the most sense (military boost + coins) to me. If you can get the prints and goods, imho better to build Monte first as it also provides fps.

I agree that if you can stand the clanging of blacksmiths just long enough to gather some resources you'll need for tech research and the coming city re-build, you'll be much better off than jumping unprepared. Sounds like you're doing fine! (3-4 weeks is the most I've ever been able to stand being in Bronze Age lol)

Plain Red Justice

New players should never follow this outdated guide of getting (LOL) 2 GBs in 1 month XD holy!

Don't become that new player that voluntarily cripples their growth. Constantly talk to players and use what little FP you have to buy a few high era goods and utilize the art of Trading Down™. Completely ignore your fighting GBs because fighting GBs in early game are a complete waste of FPs completely contrary to what these (LOL) veterans are telling you to do. Why fight when they cost so much FPs before they make any sort of impact when you can just negotiate? In just 3-4 days I can now complete 48 encounters in the joke of a feature called GE and within a few more days will drown in FPs in GBG.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020_1028_173039.png
    Screenshot_2020_1028_173039.png
    434.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Algona

Nice innovation. Trading down has been around for years. Doing so to get a jump start on Negotiating GE and GBG? Don't think I've seen that posted before.

Good tech. Gonna write it up?

----------

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

@Plain Red Justice While I may be skeptical of some of your claimed results you are definitely right that trading down is a great start to a new city and worth trying to pull off. It's been done before successfully for GE prior to GBG being introduced. The one downside to it is if you're putting up trades without organizing who's helping trade down then it'll take time, and if you do organize some people to do rapid trading down there's only so many times they can do it before draining their inventory.

I am curious though with the strategy of ignoring fighting GBs at the start, the point of going for fighting GBs is (a) be better equipped to complete events (b) reduce goods expenditure so you only have to trade down once and when your traded down goods run out you're self sufficient.

What's your primary source of goods if you're relying either solely or primarily on negotiations? How much of GE are you negotiating as prior to the increase in difficulty I found that chewed up about 1k goods per week when negotiating the majority of that

Emberguard

PRJ's response gave me a new appreciation for what Glarg (and Cosmic Raven too) did for this game. They were able to communicate their insight, their strategy, in a way that newer players could follow.
Some strategies are also less reliant on circumstances than others