• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Valentine's Day Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser14074

I also had baby love with the artist and year provided in my answer.
I was under the impression the winner would be randomly picked from the correct answers, when first reading the rules.
Now you are saying it is the first correct answer.

DeletedUser2145

There are different sets of winners, and they change for each day. One day the first person who answers correctly and a random person who has posted would be the winners. Another day would be anyone with the correct answer. Etc. It varies from day to day, but the info is made available in the thread itself. For example for today it says:
"First person to guess the correct song, will win Winner– 10 FPs and 2 fast units (their age)
The person selected by Random Draw– 15 FPs"

So, to avoid confusion, just see the first post in each day's thread. :)

DeletedUser15855

Hmmm, to those who think we're whining: get a life. We're not whining. We're offering constructive feedback. We're offering suggestions for improvement. Most game developers are happy to receive polite, constructive feedback. Most of us have also noted we're grateful for the contest and the chance to win. We just think a couple tweaks would make it better. That doesn't make us 'whiners'. That makes us valued players.

That said, I'm confused. Phantom says the contest has been approved and cannot be changed. Then he says it's being run by the moderators, not by Inno. So, whom approved the contest, if not Inno? If the moderators, why can't they change their own contest (going forward, not retroactively). Seems doable, since specific rules are posted each day of the contest and as noted by Phantom himself they can change from day-to-day. Am I missing something?

DeletedUser2145

It's approved by the managers. It's approved as a whole contest, the individual tasks are already set to go in the way they're being presented. So it will continue going as it has been planned and approved. But we thank you all for the feedback and will consider it for future contests.

DeletedUser14424

Well said. Some folks just get their happy face on if they are complaining about what others do. Key word is DO. The folks that run this are DOing something, not sitting around complaining. Thank you for all the effort in making this game possible. Gives this old retired man something to do while sitting around watching the weather.

DeletedUser11825

where will the answers to the riddles be once the thread is locked?

DeletedUser14168

Almost everyone, and how do you think the few that don't win ( I am assuming I will be one of those) will feel. This is not a very good or fair thing. Only the lucky will win the rest of us are wasting our time. First come first serve is not right. What about the people that work nights, they have no chance, the correct entry last night was 10:02, this is not fair to anyone.

Have ya ever tried winning radio call in trivia?

- - - Updated - - -

People need to stop complaining about everything. Life does not owe you fairness, you owe the world your best effort. Fair is where you ride ferris wheels and eat cotton candy, and even there you need money to get in.
If you are too busy making real money to be first to answer, you still have a chance to win a 'random' prize, so be happy that you have a job and stop whining over the equivalent of a couple day's treasure hunt in rewards. Be glad someone is offering your ungrateful behind anything more than a swift kick in the pants! This is EXTRA CREDIT, a bonus, not something owed to you. You want better prizes, then wait for the Official Valentine's event - hopefully there will be a quest for acting like a baby so you can finally win a prize!

I would like to 2nd, 3rd and 4th that (Me, Myself and I are all in agreement).

Like the guys who are hosting this say, if you wanna participate in it, participate in it.

For myself, I will 2nd that if you think this is "unfair" or you don't like the prizes or whatever your gripe is, stick to you city and leave the moderators alone. No need to whine about it or, for that matter, post at all. This isn't a mandatory event. This isn't a mandatory thread. It's just here to let us all know what's going on and the goal is for the people want to have fun with it get involved.

For the rest of you, go back to your regularly scheduled life where it's "fair."

DeletedUser2145

I am lost. Is this the Valentine thing?

The daily tasks and entry threads can be found in the CONTESTS AREA (click that, it's a link). A new thread will be open each day at 10 pm EST and will close after 24 hours. All you have to do is open that thread, read the first post and respond with the required information (username, world for rewards, and the answer to the question/riddle).

The current thread (for day 2) can be found here:
http://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?8700-Valentine-s-Contest-Day-2-February-2-2015

DeletedUser16287

What happened to the age old saying - don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

I for one, am grateful for the CHANCE at free stuff. If I some how come to feel that it is not worth my time - I wont submit an answer.

To quote another old phrase - beats a kick in the teeth!

DeletedUser16152

You are being a real cry baby. I guess your glass is always half empty.

DeletedUser9681

Whenever it works for someone, whenever you are the one that this suits, this is the reaction. What you call whinning, I call helping. Trying to make it fair to all and not just you, is whinning? Maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself and mind your own business, or as you say, stick to your city (all four of you) and leave the rest of us alone. Just as you do not appreciate my opinion, I do not appreciate yours. Just to be "fair" maybe you should be given that swift kick in the pants. Oh, and they have changed it, is not first come first serve tonight, so letting them know when something is "unfair" works, so I will continue to. Have a nice night.

- - - Updated - - -

Have ya ever tried winning radio call in trivia?

- - - Updated - - -

People need to stop complaining about everything. Life does not owe you fairness, you owe the world your best effort. Fair is where you ride ferris wheels and eat cotton candy, and even there you need money to get in.
If you are too busy making real money to be first to answer, you still have a chance to win a 'random' prize, so be happy that you have a job and stop whining over the equivalent of a couple day's treasure hunt in rewards. Be glad someone is offering your ungrateful behind anything more than a swift kick in the pants! This is EXTRA CREDIT, a bonus, not something owed to you. You want better prizes, then wait for the Official Valentine's event - hopefully there will be a quest for acting like a baby so you can finally win a prize!

I would like to 2nd, 3rd and 4th that (Me, Myself and I are all in agreement).

Like the guys who are hosting this say, if you wanna participate in it, participate in it.

For myself, I will 2nd that if you think this is "unfair" or you don't like the prizes or whatever your gripe is, stick to you city and leave the moderators alone. No need to whine about it or, for that matter, post at all. This isn't a mandatory event. This isn't a mandatory thread. It's just here to let us all know what's going on and the goal is for the people want to have fun with it get involved.

For the rest of you, go back to your regularly scheduled life where it's "fair."

Sorry, should have replied with a quote.
Serf
reputation_pos.png

Join DateFeb 2014Posts36WorldsNone Listed
Whenever it works for someone, whenever you are the one that this suits, this is the reaction. What you call whinning, I call helping. Trying to make it fair to all and not just you, is whinning? Maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself and mind your own business, or as you say, stick to your city (all four of you) and leave the rest of us alone. Just as you do not appreciate my opinion, I do not appreciate yours. Just to be "fair" maybe you should be given that swift kick in the pants. Oh, and they have changed it, is not first come first serve tonight, so letting them know when something is "unfair" works, so I will continue to. Have a nice night.

DeletedUser14406

Yes, I completely agree. It's not like you have to do a contest. So, thanks.

DeletedUser14653

I personally have not won a prize, I am generally a few hundred down in the list, so I am not getting a benefit from anything. Everyone that is complaining about "fairness", is upset about the value or amount of prizes, or has any "complaint" and not a "thank you" followed by a suggestion for future events is whining and needs to grow up, plain and simple. Sorry if this hurts your feelings, but it's a big cold, hard world out there, and someone needs to start talking to you like an adult, not babying you. From the beginning, it was made clear that this is just a small extra thing that a few people on the moderating staff are trying to throw to be cool, generous and fun. To complain at all is bad form, bad manners and just rude. This was not promised to you, not promoted and advertised as being bug-free, or bankrolled by Inno to provide time and support of developers to polish it up. Complaining about a gift just makes the person sure to never try to give you a present again, not strive harder to please your spoiled behind. No matter how hard you try, someone will get some advantage, but winners find a way to win, while losers complain that life isn't fair. You didn't "win" anything by the fact that a different type of winner was chosen, the instructions clearly stated that there would be a different winner each day, not all would be first correct answer. Either way, there is a thing called a "Pyrrhic victory". which means that you won, but really lost overall. If your rude, ungrateful comments caused a change, only to have the organizers say "let's not bother doing that again", then we all lose in order for you to "win". Try using a kind, helpful suggestion, and adding a "thanks", and you wouldn't be considered whining.
Example: "Thanks for the cool mini-event! I'm digging the concept, but have you considered changing the contest times for different days, not using the first answer or somehow spreading the chance to win around, since it's easier for some to be on at that time? Thanks Guys!"
Remember, these mods are not getting rich for doing this, they are not your kids or employees. Speak to them the way you would like to be addressed by people that you are going out of your way to throw a small party for. How would you like your guests to start complaining about the snacks you offer at a party with free admission? How would you want them to phrase that to you?

DeletedUser15855

Back to the topic of this thread: I can't seem to find the day 2 winner's announcement. Is it posted somewhere? Curious what the answers were and who won. :)

DeletedUser2145

Maestro is editing in the answers in the first post of the "Winners" thread. For quick access, here are yesterday's winners and answers:

Day Two - February 2st -

Answer - John Candy (one of my favorites, Brewsters Millions, Blues Brothers)

First to Pick The Correct Answer - RavenWing05 - 10 forge points/2 Fast units

Random Drawing Winner - Saraya - 15 Forge Points

Random Drawing Winner - Mom004 - 15 Forge Points

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9681

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if there's only one prize for correct answer, why do like 90% of people put the same thing? You can't know which person/movie/etc. they are eluding to for sure, so why not try something different than the last 50 people?

When I have friends banned for playing the game to the fullest, they were told what they were doing was not "fair" to all. So, what you are saying, is, if it is fair to you, it is ok, and we should shut up. Sorry, when I see something wrong, I say it, and those that the rules suit, say we are complaining, but we are trying to make it good for all, not just the few. As for the last statement, it would suit you that someone write the wrong answer, because you see the right answer too often? You logic needs some checking here. Thanks for your opinion though, since I support everyone's right to an opinion, even someone who thinks no one should express their opinions, but himself, even someone whose logic is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.