• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Anniversary Event 2023 Feedback

Dursland

Make sure you don't accidentally merge two level 4 complete keys, they will combine but not level up any further and you lose 3 keys.

stymie of Suwannee

I’ve developed some standards.
A blank 4 requires a 4 top & 4 bottom to complete.
A blank 3 requires 3 with an opposite 4 to complete. Or double hop to another, opposite 4.
A blank 2 is best for a properly matching 2 & 3.
Someone referenced chess, close, Mahjong. Start with your 1s and plan upwards, every piece needed and thinking of what will make the most keys. Avoid final combinations that could have, but didn’t make keys. Work every combination, on paper or in head.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

ONLY combine keys that have 3 things in them with another the same when ever possible. This makes a full three keys at the lowest possible cost.
You don't want to merge two level 2/3 gems with full keys to make a level 4. You want to merge them with spawned gems. Merging gems with completed keys wastes keys. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by this post, it's not very clear.

Pericles the Lion

You don't want to merge two level 2/3 gems with full keys to make a level 4. You want to merge them with spawned gems. Merging gems with completed keys wastes keys. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by this post, it's not very clear.
There is no such thing as a level 2 gem with a full key.

Merging two level 3 gems with a complete key (1 key each) into a level 4 gem with a complete key (worth 3 keys) is a better tactic than trying to spawn the missing piece. There is a 1:12 chance of spawning the necessary piece. Even if the player got lucky, drawing the right gem on the first try, the cost for the gem (10 energy) is about the same as the progress gained from the additional two keys. If the player doesn't get lucky the benefit of the extra 2 keys is outweighed by the cost to acquire them.

xivarmy

There is no such thing as a level 2 gem with a full key.

Merging two level 3 gems with a complete key (1 key each) into a level 4 gem with a complete key (worth 3 keys) is a better tactic than trying to spawn the missing piece. There is a 1:12 chance of spawning the necessary piece. Even if the player got lucky, drawing the right gem on the first try, the cost for the gem (10 energy) is about the same as the progress gained from the additional two keys. If the player doesn't get lucky the benefit of the extra 2 keys is outweighed by the cost to acquire them.
It's a bit more complicated than that. The spawns for each type of piece aren't equally likely (lower tier spawns more common, red spawns more common). It's around 1/6 for red-1 and 1/7 for blue or green-1. And often it's not one specific piece you need but one of two or 3. i.e. you have a spare red-1, a spare red-2, and need red-3(s), any of red-1-2-3 will work for that.

And perhaps most importantly you're hopefully still looking for something from at least one other color as well (if not you probably should've stopped some time ago already)

But in general, yes I'd agree that going for more spawns to merge "without waste" is probably worse in most situations (when in doubt, you're spawning too much per board has been a good general rule I've found - and yet sometimes I still get sucked in! ;)). if you have 2 full 3-s without other partners, and do make another 3, that's only worth 1 more key immediately (4 instead of 3) - that's not worth too much work. Rather something that might be a happy accident while you're still trying for a bigger impact (ability to make 2-3 keys in a single spawn in the other colors).

So perhaps the better advice : don't merge level 3s with full keys until you've decided you're done with the board and will be headed to reset once you clean things up. Until then just keep track of their merge options in your head. And then if there's nothing else for them to merge with, you should do so for 3 keys instead of 2.

Pericles the Lion

It's a bit more complicated than that. The spawns for each type of piece aren't equally likely (lower tier spawns more common, red spawns more common). It's around 1/6 for red-1 and 1/7 for blue or green-1. And often it's not one specific piece you need but one of two or 3. i.e. you have a spare red-1, a spare red-2, and need red-3(s), any of red-1-2-3 will work for that.

And perhaps most importantly you're hopefully still looking for something from at least one other color as well (if not you probably should've stopped some time ago already)

But in general, yes I'd agree that going for more spawns to merge "without waste" is probably worse in most situations (when in doubt, you're spawning too much per board has been a good general rule I've found - and yet sometimes I still get sucked in! ;)). if you have 2 full 3-s without other partners, and do make another 3, that's only worth 1 more key immediately (4 instead of 3) - that's not worth too much work. Rather something that might be a happy accident while you're still trying for a bigger impact (ability to make 2-3 keys in a single spawn in the other colors).

So perhaps the better advice : don't merge level 3s with full keys until you've decided you're done with the board and will be headed to reset once you clean things up. Until then just keep track of their merge options in your head. And then if there's nothing else for them to merge with, you should do so for 3 keys instead of 2.
You're correct, I did not consider the variation in spawn rates. I've been sticking to MooingCat's advice - 4 boards per day, spawn 10 gems only - and have not been tempted to draw to an inside straight. So far, it's paying off. I'm tracking for the needed 3,750 progress in all of my cities.

Dursland

Very nice. I don't think I've gotten 500 energy off incidents total. They're bad for me, as usual.

I'd say I got about 3 100's and maybe 8 or 9 20s. Yeah that doesn't add up to 500 lol.

QuickBen2002

This has been by far my favorite event. Currently at 3250 progress with 1,5K energy, and ca 150 keys of each color stockpiled and 5 daily quest remaining. That is enough to reach 3750 now if I wanted to, and without having spent any diamonds. (I haven't gotten any 500 energy incidents unfortunately lol.) Here is what I like:

Casual play every day
In many events the best strategy is to save up currency by NOT playing, then spend everything on one or two days with the Daily prize you want. This event is best to play every day because of the 2x chest. Yet, you only need to log in once a day for the game compared to other events that often need to be micromanaged.

More skill based
Many other events are just clicking buttons. This event is complex, yet very solvable if you take the time to learn the game. It feels like Im doing sodoku.

No need for outside resources
Other events often require you to know about future steps in order to get the main prize. This isn’t possible without using outside resources such as Mooingcat or the wiki. I must have mooingcat’s spreadsheat up all the time to do the St Pats event. His guide definitely helped me form a good strategy from the start of the event as well (thanks!). However, it isn’t necessary to use his solver or have the guide open mindlessly following his recommended steps.

I formed my own strategy once I understood the game mechanics. You simply need to get 3750 progress. Progress is done by breaking seals and by spending keys. Play in a manner that maximizes daily progress. I spend 500 - 600 energy per day and aim for 200 progress per day. However, the ingame information is severely misleading if your goal is to get the main event building maxed.

Fully levelled main prize is achievable for f2p
The game is complex, but with a decent strategy you earn enough energy that you have plenty of room for non-optimal play and still reach 3750 progress without spending diamonds. I already can reach 3750, but I haven’t played perfectly. I “wasted” several hundred energy clearing boards, buying more pieces than intended, and by poor play regarding the number of keys earned in a game.

The learning curve for the game is steep, especially when the ingame information can lead you astray. Perhaps too steep for many players judging by comments in my guild. For me this has been the most enjoyable event in my three years of playing.

Last edited:

Dursland

Isn't it a huge coincidence that for the second time in a row, whenever I need a single air key to get a golden chest, the game always gives me a bucket load of only water and fire keys no matter how much energy I spend?
It's not uncommon for that to happen and is why clearing the board is a bad strategy.

CDmark

Isn't it a huge coincidence that for the second time in a row, whenever I need a single air key to get a golden chest, the game always gives me a bucket load of only water and fire keys no matter how much energy I spend?
I took the time to work my key inventory, forget the special but not really going for specials.
X - 230 Air / 268 Water / 269 Fire (not done in G yet)
So, I just took all chests that helped work down the fire key inventory, it started about 100 more than water.
Hopefully I get a good special or alternate to burn more.
I am using a factor of 40 progress per game (jail breaking gems plus keys), to help me calculate where I will be with 5 days left. It tend to be more, like 45, but I have limited data so going conservative.

QUESTION: I am figuring we will get another 80 energy for the last 4.5 hours plus time to play the minigame. Anyone know, maybe from beta, if this assumption is correct?

The reason, it matters how many games I play before last 4.5 hours at 160 energy cost for the remaining 5 days (actually 6 counting today), or 5th game of the day.

Dursland

QUESTION: I am figuring we will get another 80 energy for the last 4.5 hours plus time to play the minigame. Anyone know, maybe from beta, if this assumption is correct?
Yes they usually give out currency on the very last day even if there is no quest, so we should get it.

Dursland

Can anyone justify the keymaster bldg ? Is it worth the $15 ? K.I.S.& S. !!!!
Personally I think so. You get two if you make it to 4000 progress, which I am on-track for.

Not only do they give 6fp and 18 goods in 6 tiles, it also gives 9% to atk and 10% to defender's atk as well as making 2 fragments of tower.

If you get both keymaster's workshops you can make a tower every 275 days, or less with BG.

Assuming you get BG high enough that it doubles almost every tower fragments, then that's only 138ish days. In a little over a year you could get 3 additional towers. You tell me if that's worth $15, being such a long term investment.

stymie of Suwannee

Inno’s math is obviously out of whack. Pull the statistics on top key/bottom key, “randomly”, on 6 of 7 being either top or bottom. Merely on my fingers, under 1.6% chance (1.5625% for those more precise with their fingers). And I’ve seen this again and again and again. That’s pistol pulling statistics at the wrong table.

stymie of Suwannee

Inno’s math is obviously out of whack. Pull the statistics on top key/bottom key, “randomly”, on 6 of 7 being either top or bottom. Merely on my fingers, under 1.6% chance (1.5625% for those more precise with their fingers). And I’ve seen this again and again and again. That’s pistol pulling statistics at the wrong table.
Whoops. Forgot to post that.

stymie of Suwannee

Drum rolllllll, this where the meat rubbers the road. With Farm day at hand:
Cirgard: started 993 keys (266,280,447) making 19 Farm SKs. Went from 2522 to 3859.
Cirgard gold league: 3860.
Tuulech: started 992 keys (314,256,422) making 16 Farm SKs. Went from 2570 to 3887.
Tuulech gold league: 3928.
Scored the full building, probably wake up 3:30, last night (or whenever precisely) to secure a gold league with a few diamonds, in Tuulech (if applicable). Bam!
And scored 1200-1300 FPs in the process, unnoticed.
Correction: 1 piece short for now, but not that Arch upgrade.

Last edited: