• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Defending army is immortal. why so?

wolfhoundtoo

You keep ignoring all the other points that people are bringing up regarding this matter. What you call relaxing most players call balance in a game that isn't meant to be a full time job. Not all strategy games are make or break. If that is a requirement for your enjoyment you'll just have to go elsewhere....although since you are here perhaps you didn't enjoy those other games as much as you are suggesting.

JoyfulRider

You keep ignoring all the other points
Totally not ignoring. Currently, you are calling it as balance where it is making top players always have a upper hand. Hope you won't deny it. So, having my suggestion will give slight chance for everyone bounce back, even though city attacker is top level player. Some players (including myself) daily goes for attacking the neighborhood, will they not get bored to see the same defending army from another person every day unless they change their army. Getting victory means it needs some benefits, because have destroyed all 81 neighborhood defense in one day, but next day have to do the same again with same defending army (mostly) Is it a joke? As per game mechanism, can do plunder but where the enjoyment of doing battles. Since most of them are happy with the current approach and having fun in the game, my suggested change will be a worrying factor for sure. Even myself admitting the same, no one else can escape from it, if this comes out, tough to keep track on defending army. But it's definitely makes the game more challenging, 100% sure.
a requirement for your enjoyment you'll just have to go elsewhere....although since you are here perhaps you didn't enjoy those other games
wow, forum community member suggesting another member to go elsewhere. Did not enjoy the other games, am I? How are you making predictions on your own without knowing anything. Stop judging anyone to prove your skills of explaining the things.

Myself felt little sleaze on the foe defending army, and wished to get some discussions on removing its immortality by making game even more challenge (or more aggressive).

Emberguard

Totally not ignoring. Currently, you are calling it as balance where it is making top players always have a upper hand. Hope you won't deny it. So, having my suggestion will give slight chance for everyone bounce back, even though city attacker is top level player.
Thing is it works both ways. If you're removing a defense for the top guy then you're also removing a defense for the little guy. Where is the little guy going to get replacement troops if the little guy can barely scrounge enough for the first 8 defending units? Top guy? They'll be fine. They already have a stockpile of troops and have a plunderproof (or near plunderproof) city. Getting their defending army's butt kicked won't bother the top guys who already have 1,000+% boosts or set up their city so being attacked doesn't even matter

I don't mind the idea of a game using a perishable defending army. I don't think it'd suit Forge of Empires without a major overhaul of attacking the neighbourhood and plundering in general

Nice2HaveU

Able to think of one possible way for little guy to bounce back with the suggested change. Little guy cannot be in the position to handle the big guy, hence little guy must insists the guild mates or friends to attack the big guy if found in their hood radar. If guildmates or friends destroyed the big guy city defense, then little guy peeks into big guy city defense. Little guy got two spear fighters to make the battle and put all the efforts to gain victory with the attacking army;).

Sorry, while thinking in this way felt like cheating. Don't know why?

RazorbackPirate

Love these folks barley know how to play the game, who believe they know how to 'fix' one of the most successful, longest running, online games ever. That after 8 years of success, they're going to opine on all the 'mistakes' the developers made and how their pet ideas will make FoE so much more successful, despite EVERYONE saying how severely it would upend the game.

If you want a game that behaves that way, this game is not for you. After 8+ years, there is ZERO chance Inno will ever make a change like this. Opine away, if you must, but you're on a fool's errand.

Why don't you learn the game as it is, and leave the game development to the professionals. If this doesn't suit you, and makes you not like this game, you're free to take your gaming time elsewhere.

JoyfulRider

Pretty much convinced with the fact where everyone loves the current game play. Second person in the forum to suggest me saying play other game elsewhere. I get it, you guys love the game so much. At the same time, you guys cannot take it for granted that I dislike the game. Myself too like it more than you. All brainy people in the forum mentioning go learn, go elsewhere to play, what this nonsense. You guys learned everything, that's good to know. Myself moving my life with the below quote,

"Known is a drop, unknown is an ocean".

-- which is applicable to everything (including this game too)

Mentioning 8+ years of success, even if it get 100+ years of success, without trying you cannot guarantee the suggested change will affect the game drastically. Have not demanded this change in the post, but now I felt it to have in beta for few months to get the feedback. Now also, game having some unbalanced stuff, but it never makes the top player worry much. Same goes for this one too.

Real world:
If one guy breaks the supermarket door to steal something, there are many chances for other peoples enter into supermarket without breaking the door to steal something.

Game:
It is just a game, supermarket door will be unbroken for every one who tries to enter. Same applies to our defending army units.

For a small player, who got to know the plunderer cannot take any action against the plunderer even if the person has many friends and guild mates. You got some trouble, and looking for help. It is the actual way of getting aid, no where close to cheating. There are ways to play the game without worrying about big guys, but that's not the point here.

Have clearly mentioned in my original post, it is rough and rude change, will this making you get worry too much. If Yes agree and move on. No point in targeting the poster with your unreasonable words. Game is for everyone. Forum has a rule saying, make everything in English. It actually forgot to mention like "make conversations politely"

Graviton

Pretty much convinced with the fact where everyone loves the current game play. Second person in the forum to suggest me saying play other game elsewhere. I get it, you guys love the game so much. At the same time, you guys cannot take it for granted that I dislike the game. Myself too like it more than you. All brainy people in the forum mentioning go learn, go elsewhere to play, what this nonsense. You guys learned everything, that's good to know.

I think the suggestions to go play something else were in the context of, "If you don't like this game then find one you do like instead of trying to fundamentally alter this one." I think you're underestimating the effect this would have.

Mentioning 8+ years of success, even if it get 100+ years of success, without trying you cannot guarantee the suggested change will affect the game drastically

Well yeah, we can. You're talking about a very basic game mechanic upon which game balance has been based. It doesn't take an advanced degree to know that it will drastically affect the game, it just takes game experience.

Real world:
If one guy breaks the supermarket door to steal something, there are many chances for other peoples enter into supermarket without breaking the door to steal something.

Real world doesn't enter into it.

Have clearly mentioned in my original post, it is rough and rude change, will this making you get worry too much. If Yes agree and move on. No point in targeting the poster with your unreasonable words. Game is for everyone. Forum has a rule saying, make everything in English. It actually forgot to mention like "make conversations politely"

Nobody's been rude. We disagree with your proposal and we've told you why. That's what forums are for. But you just keep saying we don't know what we're talking about.

If you want to try this proposal on the Beta forums, go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

ant..

I was only referencing the parts about the little guy should have a chance against the big guy. That just isn't so. If little guy wants to age up and be in the big guys hood, he gets what he wants.

Ebeondi Asi

I laugh at really lowest point people in my Era. I will attack them first. Always. They need to have immortal troops for city defense. They must get attacked twenty times a day .. don't Plunder them. They have enough problems with not having enough of anything in their City. they spent it all rising through the Eras as fast as possible.
My post has zero to do with the original topic. who cares. as an aside: are the immortal troops based on Adrian Paul Hewett character in Highlander?

wolfhoundtoo

Totally not ignoring. Currently, you are calling it as balance where it is making top players always have a upper hand. Hope you won't deny it. So, having my suggestion will give slight chance for everyone bounce back, even though city attacker is top level player. Some players (including myself) daily goes for attacking the neighborhood, will they not get bored to see the same defending army from another person every day unless they change their army. Getting victory means it needs some benefits, because have destroyed all 81 neighborhood defense in one day, but next day have to do the same again with same defending army (mostly) Is it a joke? As per game mechanism, can do plunder but where the enjoyment of doing battles. Since most of them are happy with the current approach and having fun in the game, my suggested change will be a worrying factor for sure. Even myself admitting the same, no one else can escape from it, if this comes out, tough to keep track on defending army. But it's definitely makes the game more challenging, 100% sure.

wow, forum community member suggesting another member to go elsewhere. Did not enjoy the other games, am I? How are you making predictions on your own without knowing anything. Stop judging anyone to prove your skills of explaining the things.

Myself felt little sleaze on the foe defending army, and wished to get some discussions on removing its immortality by making game even more challenge (or more aggressive).

You are ignoring pretty much everyone's comments. I don't see you addressing any of the comments that reference all of the other elements of the game that need to be addressed for you to get your idea implemented. You've claimed that someone can only get breached one and gotten replies that remind you of all the other members in a neighborhood. Did I miss or misunderstand something that was meant to reply to those comments?

You also referred to "relaxing in a strategy game" implying in fact that you were not happy with the way FOE was currently designed so like I said if it bothers you that much go find a game that meets your standards. You came here and posted about what near as I can tell is everyone else in the game. You don't like me predicting you don't do that to me and everyone else in this game 1st.

Algona

"Known is a drop, unknown is an ocean"

Ain't never nohow drowned in no drop none neither.

small player

Funny though that you chose a quote that talks about knowledge.

You're using the wrong metric.

With the inevitable result that your conclusions are wrong.

The main differences between players are knowledge and time in game. Size of city has little to do with the sophistication of a city. (See the Tiny Town thread or look at the bottom cities in any hood for extreme examples.)

City defence and plundering exemplify this principle of knowledge and time in game. Players can easily grow out of needing to worry about defence and being plundered.

Once players understand the fundamentals of city defence and how plundering occurs and grasp plundering mitigation city defence and plundering become at worst nuisances.

Players that can't be bothered now with learning the fundamentals of any aspect of the game won't benefit from changes to that aspect. Review of the second thread I attached demonstrates that these players are most likely to get upset with attempts to be educated in this.

The idea of wearing down defences or anything that makes plundering easier impacts inexperienced newer cities hardest because any loss of Resources is a higher portion of their daily production.

A much lower proportion of production in well developed cities is plunderable, often insignificant.

I don't see how a change that hurts newer inexperienced players disproportionately can possibly be good for the game.

----------

A little light reading for you if you want to get some understanding of those who get upset at being plundered and the plunderers.

Flavius Belisarius

I was only referencing the parts about the little guy should have a chance against the big guy. That just isn't so. If little guy wants to age up and be in the big guys hood, he gets what he wants.
Football is a game (US or Futbol).
Sounds like you would like changing the game so youth league teams could compete in the SuperbowlWorld Cup.
Eventually, without changes, they might through training, practice, and experience.
Otherwise, little guys playing against the big guys willl get hurt and frustrated.

JoyfulRider

Let me tell the truth now. In the game, Just had a thought of having defending army behave like attacking army units. Sensed big tragedy in the game, hence opened the discussions here, to see how bad it can cause damage to the game. Also myself opened the discussions, have to pretend like expecting the changes very much. Myself too didn't like the change at all. Sorry, if you guys really got disturbed by my comments. Was only pretending all the way to see how many disagree with that disaster approach to the game.

End of the discussion:
No more ugly changes like these to be added in the game. Even I wish the same. Extremely sorry once again!!

Johnny B. Goode

without trying you cannot guarantee the suggested change will affect the game drastically.
I don't have to jump in front of a moving vehicle to know that it is a bad idea.
Let me tell the truth now. In the game, Just had a thought of having defending army behave like attacking army units. Sensed big tragedy in the game, hence opened the discussions here, to see how bad it can cause damage to the game. Also myself opened the discussions, have to pretend like expecting the changes very much. Myself too didn't like the change at all. Sorry, if you guys really got disturbed by my comments. Was only pretending all the way to see how many disagree with that disaster approach to the game.

End of the discussion:
No more ugly changes like these to be added in the game. Even I wish the same. Extremely sorry once again!!
Now you're trying to act like you didn't want this change? Preposterous. Do you think we're that gullible? Really?

Emberguard

Myself too didn't like the change at all. [...] Was only pretending all the way to see how many disagree with that disaster approach to the game.
Only pretending? So what were you going to do if everyone thought it was the best idea ever and it got implemented? If you know it’d be a disaster what’s the goal with bringing it up?

Sorry, if you guys really got disturbed by my comments.
The idea and your comments up until this post doesn’t disturb me. I am disturbed by the implications made by your latest post that I’m quoting here.

Because if you’re telling the truth that you didn’t even like your own idea, that means you brought up an idea knowing that if it got implemented through the support of other players that it would at best weaken the game design or at worst destroy the game

If you’ve got an idea that you think would benefit the game then by all means open up discussion. But if you already know it’s a bad idea and you wouldn’t want to play with it implemented then there’s no benefit in posting a thread in support of that idea. What happens the next time you have an idea? Am I meant to believe your next idea is genuine?

JoyfulRider

Sorry Ember, Initial thought to bring this idea/discussion to see myself going in the same path as everyone. Like a confirmation where myself not to worry about this kind of change in future any time. If majority of people agree with that change, could have reveal the truth even that time too. While making the initial post, felt like doing this way it put some fire to everyone's gameplay and wished to play by it (which gave me little fun at that time, so continued pretending again ad again to see anymore different responses from the community). But everyone stays very strong to single answer, then no point on pretend hence revealed the truth. (actually thought to pretend for a week - but made me reveal the truth within 4 days).

Once again, extremely sorry for it. From my side no more plot/play like these in the forum, I swear.

Last edited:

JoyfulRider

No wolfhound, was trying to pull the intense response for the suggested change from everyone. I cannot give exact reason why myself did like that, on that moment mind spark to push me go in that way and continued that's all.

If guys feeling like, myself totally disrespecting the forum, please let me know. Will try to delete my forum account if possible.