• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Did the Arc Improve the Game?

DeletedUser

Just pure arithmetic.
Might be you should get your arc to 80 to actually experience it.
Also depending on how fast you want to go at it.
Well, I've never been a sprinter in my entire life. I've discovered in life that with most things the journey is as important as the destination. And when you rush to the destination, you miss a whole lot of good stuff on the journey.

Freshmeboy

Perhaps Mr. Longshanks, having a well developed city with good fp production in a world with thousands of Arcs around does make the chore that much easier.... My nostalgia of my fairly new world when I began when Arcs were scarce, fps were dear and goods brokers could be somewhat..uhhh..advantageous businessmen colors my interpretation of the Arc's difficulty. Nevertheless, having gone through the process, I still believe it's a grind and perhaps because of the rampant singular devotion to its leveling others feel that way as well.....

Jase249

I am not to level 80 yet, so maybe it gets intensely hard at some point (I doubt it), but I'm on the verge of level 49 without any effort whatsoever. I have never sniped any Arc for prints, yet I currently have plenty to get to level 80 from here. I keep hearing from people how hard it is to get it to level 80, but the sheer number of players who have done it belies that. Especially when it's players who haven't even been playing very long. I will admit that the thought of leveling it to 80 was intimidating, mostly because everyone was saying how insanely hard it was, and how much effort it took. Well, now I'm kind of wondering what you all did wrong if it was so hard for you.

Going from level 49-50 will require you to put in 58 of your own FPs if you have 1.9 contributors in the 1-5 spot. Doing the last level of the typical trek (79-80) will take 970 of your own FPs. On my main world where I have my Arc up to level 100, that level requires 3,080 of your own. If you want to do another 20 on top of that, the last one will require 7,353 of your own. You're correct, the "sweet spot" (I like to call it the "powerband") can be flipped very easily, but once the downward curve of investment ends in the early 50s it curves back up again and never comes back down. No, it's not particularly hard to get to 80, but it does get more time-consuming as you progress.

As far as the Arc having an outsized impact on the game, I agree with that, but I don't agree it's for the worse. It provides a means for newer players to at least get some of the benefits that long-term players have (and I'm saying that as a long-term player), and frankly I think 1.9 leveling groups are good for the social aspect of the game since it can be a tool for establishing new alliances. In addition, other GBs such as Traz and CF also have very large impacts on gameplay. Admittedly not to the level the Arc does, but if we start clearing out the Arc (metaphorically speaking; I know you're not actually calling for Arcs to be deleted-yet) because it fundamentally alters the paradigm of the game I think you have to throw out Traz and CF with it

DeletedUser30900

Man, I wish I can on Stephen’s world so I can snipe him from lv34-lv 60 on his arc....

DeletedUser36624

I went to sleep last night about 400 FP short of the next level. I awoke this morning to find it leveled and 80% of the way to leveling again. What a grind! ;)
Out of curiosity, where do you get your blueprints if you're not going out of your way to get them?

DeletedUser29726

As far as the Arc having an outsized impact on the game, I agree with that, but I don't agree it's for the worse. It provides a means for newer players to at least get some of the benefits that long-term players have (and I'm saying that as a long-term player), and frankly I think 1.9 leveling groups are good for the social aspect of the game since it can be a tool for establishing new alliances. In addition, other GBs such as Traz and CF also have very large impacts on gameplay. Admittedly not to the level the Arc does, but if we start clearing out the Arc (metaphorically speaking; I know you're not actually calling for Arcs to be deleted-yet) because it fundamentally alters the paradigm of the game I think you have to throw out Traz and CF with it

While I'm not entirely in disagreement, I'd point out that the paradigm-altering aspects of Traz and CF are drastically amplified by the existence of the Arc. A level 10 Chateau and Traz while certainly very strong and useful buildings are not game-breaking by any means. Taking them to say level 70 would be extraordinarily expensive (by the time you're at level 50 it'd be a net cost of about 1200 FP per level) if it weren't for the Arc. Bear in mind you have to also view that 1200 FP through the lens of not having level 60 FP producing GBs already as well. While you certainly could make the decision to get a positively broken Chateau without an Arc it'd come at the cost of not working on other GBs for a very long time.

In a world with level 80 Arcs already:
Getting your own level 80 Arc (from 10): ~21k FP
Adding a level 70 Chateau and Traz (from 10): ~21k FP each

In a world without arc ever existing:
Getting a level 70 Chateau (from 10): ~66k FP

So... by the time you would've got a level 70 Chateau, you've got a level 80 arc, a level 70 chateau, and could have thrown in a free level 70 Traz as well. Nevermind that a good portion of the FP in the arc case is also funded by sniping hoodies, 85% donations to willing friends, etc. Or that you actually have to work for the blueprints in the non-arc-proliferation case.

DeletedUser36624

By donating to Arcs, of course. But only in the normal course of playing.
I'm not finding it easy to find free spots at a reasonable price. Most of them are tied up in swap groups. I've been able to catch enough BP's to keep up at a low level, but definitely not enough to support turning over a level per day once I hit the sweet spot.

It's a catch-22, if I had a 1.8 arc, I could have all the BP I want, but I need the BP to get there. :p

DeletedUser13838

By donating to Arcs, of course. But only in the normal course of playing.
Is this on a new world or have you been accumulating them for a long time on your main? I absolutely had to fish for bps to level my arc but now of course I have enough bps to extend past level 500 (but alas not the fps).

DeletedUser35770

Stephen has already stated he hasn’t taken this ride very fast. He has had time to accumulate arc prints on his journey. Other people are leveling 2-3 times a day with their arc in the sweet spot. Going from 40-60 is a sprint unless you mismanage donors and self input.

Also no building in the game is a real grind during the sweet spot, but you need an arc donor to carry you through it. My cape is suffering from the same problem... I go to bed and wake up nearly full.

As far as the rich getting richer... that’s also very true. They do keep getting more rich. However, there is no limiting factor saying that the poor can’t rise from the bottom. Plenty of new players are rising through the ranks on their respective worlds getting rich on Fp. Chasing the top 10 would be hard, but breaking top 200 can be done given enough time.

And gaining arc bps is as simple as finding people going through that very sprint 35-60 and asking what the buy in for 4th or 5th is and focusing on that spot. Maybe even multiple times a day. Usually getting 4-5 prints for 10-30 points adds up if they are taking it with any pace.

DeletedUser38090

I'm not finding it easy to find free spots at a reasonable price. Most of them are tied up in swap groups. I've been able to catch enough BP's to keep up at a low level, but definitely not enough to support turning over a level per day once I hit the sweet spot.
What I've done is contact maybe 100 or so people around level 60 to level 40 or so, asking if I could be friends with them and getting 4th or 5th place for cheap, and I have I think around 60-70 Arc friends all leveling up, so there's almost always a good opportunity to bounce and snipe 4th or 5th. Generally, I follow a general rule of "100 medals per net loss FP" because I am hungry for expansions. I've made a couple deals with a few folks along the way, including a swap for the net loss in FP, and sometimes people will go out of their way to message you if they just made a good opportunity for you. It's really nice, but the fun in all of this is really drawing away from me actually trying to level up my Arc.

DeletedUser

Also no building in the game is a real grind during the sweet spot, but you need an arc donor to carry you through it. My cape is suffering from the same problem... I go to bed and wake up nearly full.
The people donating have lower level Arcs than mine, so...

Salsuero

It's a catch-22, if I had a 1.8 arc, I could have all the BP I want, but I need the BP to get there. :p

I swapped 1st place with a guildmate at the same level for the first 45-ish levels. That gave me all the prints I needed when factoring in regular donations to other Arcs as a supplement. Perhaps you might try to find a partner (or more than one) to level with for mutual print gathering and FP bank building (assuming you only use FPs from the bar and collection like we did).

DeletedUser35770

@Stephen Longshanks Then they can’t sustain you for very long, and the donations probably aren’t at 1.8-1.9 for your first three spots, but if it works for you and them more power to you.

DeletedUser

@Stephen Longshanks Then they can’t sustain you for very long, and the donations probably aren’t at 1.8-1.9 for your first three spots, but if it works for you and them more power to you.
First is getting locked at 50% of the total FP needed and second for 25%, so ironically other players that are probably 'grinding' are letting me sit back and relax. LOL

DeletedUser29726

First is getting locked at 50% of the total FP needed and second for 25%, so ironically other players that are probably 'grinding' are letting me sit back and relax. LOL

In the levels you're at now you can get 1st at more than 50% from friendly snipers. The ones taking first and second at 50% and 25% are likely tickled pink. At 50->51 (the cheapest 'real cost' level) the total FP needed is 2670. 1st pays out 800 FP - which if the donor has a 90% arc is 1520 FP. 50% of level cost is 1335 FP - so a 185 FP difference.

But as others said, if you're happy and they're happy it's all good. I've certainly done the lazy-level before and just accepted people making big profits off me. If your building is really pretty much levelling itself, it's the 4ths and 5ths that are the real saints :)

DeletedUser

In the levels you're at now you can get 1st at more than 50% from friendly snipers. The ones taking first and second at 50% and 25% are likely tickled pink. At 50->51 (the cheapest 'real cost' level) the total FP needed is 2670. 1st pays out 800 FP - which if the donor has a 90% arc is 1520 FP. 50% of level cost is 1335 FP - so a 185 FP difference.

But as others said, if you're happy and they're happy it's all good. I've certainly done the lazy-level before and just accepted people making big profits off me. If your building is really pretty much levelling itself, it's the 4ths and 5ths that are the real saints :)
So I checked and the top two players on the current level indeed have level 80 Arcs. My habit lately has been to throw random FP that I get through GE/Event/Settlement onto the Arc. I think I'll go back to using those in swaps instead and see how patient these level 80 Arc owners are to get their profits. ;)

You can do things like that when you're not a slave to the Arc virus. LOL

DeletedUser37581

So I checked and the top two players on the current level indeed have level 80 Arcs. My habit lately has been to throw random FP that I get through GE/Event/Settlement onto the Arc. I think I'll go back to using those in swaps instead and see how patient these level 80 Arc owners are to get their profits. ;)

You can do things like that when you're not a slave to the Arc virus. LOL
You could also ask them if in the future they'd be willing to fill at 1.8 or 1.85. Another technique many of them will do is to split the profit with you.