• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback - Arctic Future - part 2

qaccy

You want some defense boosting buildings for the attacker too?

It should be pointed out that, just by doing a headcount, there are only two GBs that provide a defensive benefit while there are three that provide a benefit to offense. I don't see what harm there would be in having an even three of each. Those who want a stronger defense can add that GB to their cities, and those who aren't interested in having it don't have to build it. Why not?

As an aside, apparently the new Arctic Orangery GB provides a bonus that applies to both your attacking and defending armies. That's kind of something, right?

DeletedUser10415

Yep, as soon as my Deal and Saint Basil's each reach level 149 I will have the same attack power as my current attacker who has a level 73 Zeus, a level 73 Aachen, a level 83 Castel del Monte, and a Speakers Corner for a total of +200%. No problem I should be able to get them raised that high... In another 5 or 6 years. Anyone even want to calculate how many FP that is? I also have a ways to go on the Blue Prints necessary to unlock all those levels.

See what I mean about needing something to add some Attack power to the Defenders?

Or...you could just collect on time.

DeletedUser14197

Or start a new city in the last city that came out. You will probably not have as many people with high level gbs in a new city. Or simply don't produce goods. If you can get some oasis, fishing huts, wishing wells,gbs, etc. that produce goods, you may get enough to carry you wihout even producing goods in the goods buildings. I don't believe any of these can be plundered. If I am not sure I will be back in time, I simply quit producing goods, or I may produce 4 hour goods as then you can't lose as much as the attackers can only plunder once every 24 hours. It is a lame part of the game designed to bring in money for the game more than likely and not because it is what makes a better game. it obviously doesn't. It also is for people who can guarantee to come back on time, not for those of us who actually ahve things come up and who want to forget about the game at times because.... well there is real life and there is.... the game.

DeletedUser11215

You want some defense boosting buildings for the attacker too?
Umm.. Except for the Speakers Corner all boosts to Attack power come from the three GB's I mentioned, (Zeus, Aarchen, CdM) which give equal boost to both Attack and Defense. I said he has a +200% attack, I guess I didn't think it was necessary to say he also has a +191% defense (Speakers Corner adds +9%). Do you think he needs more defense? Compare to my +48% attack and + 281% defense. The game is totally tipped in favor of the attacker. Even the Rogue is a unit that gives the Attacker a huge advantage. It is designed to trick the AI into attacking it first by having a nearly non existent defense, then once the attacking AI "kills" it wasting a first round shot it miraculously returns as a different unit and if it has Contact skill it even attacks then attacks again on it's turn. Yeah, nothing unfair about that. Were is the unit for the Defender that gives such an advantage? If you say the Drummer and the Color Guard I'll laugh myself to death. Of course I could use Rouges as defenders right? I mean it's not like the Attacker is a real human with a brain and will attack the one or two units that aren't Rouges then massacre the Rogues that are left. In possibly the quickest defeat ever. I also love the fact that units that have a cumulative effect attack like the Satellite Spotter's heat attack don't carry over when a Rogue is killed. He dies and takes the 20% decrease in attack with him when he goes so the next unit up had a full 100% when it turns and concentrates all it's attack power on your satellite spotters.

My suggestion is a new special unit that is for defense only. It ignores Rogues for the first three rounds of battle and has the contact skill. It also gets +1 attack for each Watchfire in your city. Think it will fly?

DeletedUser11215

As an aside, apparently the new Arctic Orangery GB provides a bonus that applies to both your attacking and defending armies. That's kind of something, right?
It gives the Critical Hit ability:

Critical Hit
When a unit attacks another unit from the same age, it has a chance of dealing 1.5 times the expected damage (if expected damage is normally 3-6, the critical hit will do 5-9 since 3 * 1.5 = 4.5, which rounds to 5, and 6 * 1.5 = 9). Against reactive armor, the critical hit will still do 1.5 times the expected damage it can normally take (so if expected damage is 4-4, a critical hit will do 6-6 damage). Against rogues, they initially cannot be affected by this bonus (this goes for all no-age units), but the unit they transform into can use/get hit by this bonus. A critical hit doing at least 11 damage will one-hit kill any unit, even with the morale bonus. This bonus applies to all attacking armies including the defending army in PvP.

As stated it has zero effect on the Rogue until he is changed so if the attacker gets a critical on the first round and "kills" the Rogue it is wasted as the Rogue then turns into another unit. Also since it works on the attack stat the attacker goes from a assault rifle to a M134 minigun while the defender goes from a slingshot to an air rifle. Another, benefit that helps the attacker, but is almost useless for the defender. Thanks developers, just what the game needed more help for the attackers. I also like the fact that the unit has to be the same age. It's not like players from one or two ages ahead of you are attacking you with their units or anything.

DeletedUser11215

I do. Except when real life issues prevent me from being at my computer, such as I am out eating dinner with my family celebrating, or at a movie, or asleep in my bedroom after a hard day at work and I didn't set the alarm. Those kinds of things.

Besides That is sort of like saying to the store owner who is being molested by the Mob protection racket. "Just pay the protection money."

Problem solved right?

DeletedUser13838

Umm.. Except for the Speakers Corner all boosts to Attack power come from the three GB's I mentioned, (Zeus, Aarchen, CdM) which give equal boost to both Attack and Defense. I said he has a +200% attack, I guess I didn't think it was necessary to say he also has a +191% defense (Speakers Corner adds +9%).
My troops have a162%attack boost without any of my attack gbs being higher than 10. Speakers corner only boosts attack.

iamtheemperor

Besides That is sort of like saying to the store owner who is being molested by the Mob protection racket. "Just pay the protection money."

No, it's absolutely nothing like that. One is a game made of 1s and 0s with make-believe stuff and has no affect on someone's real life. The other causes real-world harm to actual people and their families.

DeletedUser14197

Umm.. Except for the Speakers Corner all boosts to Attack power come from the three GB's I mentioned, (Zeus, Aarchen, CdM) which give equal boost to both Attack and Defense. I said he has a +200% attack, I guess I didn't think it was necessary to say he also has a +191% defense (Speakers Corner adds +9%). Do you think he needs more defense? Compare to my +48% attack and + 281% defense. The game is totally tipped in favor of the attacker. Even the Rogue is a unit that gives the Attacker a huge advantage. It is designed to trick the AI into attacking it first by having a nearly non existent defense, then once the attacking AI "kills" it wasting a first round shot it miraculously returns as a different unit and if it has Contact skill it even attacks then attacks again on it's turn. Yeah, nothing unfair about that. Were is the unit for the Defender that gives such an advantage? If you say the Drummer and the Color Guard I'll laugh myself to death. Of course I could use Rouges as defenders right? I mean it's not like the Attacker is a real human with a brain and will attack the one or two units that aren't Rouges then massacre the Rogues that are left. In possibly the quickest defeat ever. I also love the fact that units that have a cumulative effect attack like the Satellite Spotter's heat attack don't carry over when a Rogue is killed. He dies and takes the 20% decrease in attack with him when he goes so the next unit up had a full 100% when it turns and concentrates all it's attack power on your satellite spotters.

My suggestion is a new special unit that is for defense only. It ignores Rogues for the first three rounds of battle and has the contact skill. It also gets +1 attack for each Watchfire in your city. Think it will fly?

IF the game was trying to make the best game ever, which required strategy, than your suggestion would fly. However, since the game is trying to make money, and so each decision has to pass the will it bring in money question, than I kind of doubt it will even be considered. They really need to keep their paying players who love to plunder happy. They have not even made hoods balanced. They obviously are not trying to make people learn to play with strategy. After all, the top person in the hood can many times attack and plunder everyone on auto. How much strategy does that take? The bottom player in some hoods doesn't stand a chance. No amount of strategy will make it so he can compete in the towers. Sure he can collect on time, but he can't compete. And don't tell me it is for 2 weeks. I have been in basically the same hood for months in some of my cities, even the main one where I was very active playing, just not attacking my hood. Good suggestion, but I doubt they want to make it so the attacker can't do it on auto. But, if I am wrong, I would love to see it happen and than I might even enjoy the complaints that would suddenly start taking over the forums.

DeletedUser11215

No, it's absolutely nothing like that. One is a game made of 1s and 0s with make-believe stuff and has no affect on someone's real life. The other causes real-world harm to actual people and their families.
I am aware that one is a game and the other is real life, but I am supplying an analogy. Telling someone to "Just collect on time" in the game is analogous to telling someone to "Just pay the protection money." Both situations prevent "Something bad from happening". The something bad being caused by another individual who only does this if you don't do the other. And I would say it does have an effect on someones real life in that you become a slave to the game and another player, being forced to do something at a specific time every day or there will be a consequence caused by another individual. If the developers think this adds enjoyment to the gaming experience, I really think they should seek psychiatric help.

I see the whole situation as a training tool for young mobsters. "Hey dere Mr. Plaguer. Like you give me 10 FP to mize Traz or ill plunder your city." Hey but it is OK if you just collect on time. Every day. Without fail. Always. Forever.

Algona

I see the whole situation as a training tool for young mobsters. "Hey dere Mr. Plaguer. Like you give me 10 FP to mize Traz or ill plunder your city." Hey but it is OK if you just collect on time. Every day. Without fail. Always. Forever.

Methinks you have the meaning of Collect On Time completely backwards. You don't adjust your life to the game, you adjust the game to your life. See the first line of my signature.

DeletedUser26154

Critical Hit
I thought of this a few months ago and while there are many historical references of scoring critical hits, like Agincourt, the Tumu Crisis and the Great Seige of Gibralter, I don't think it would work well in a game like this.

DeletedUser14197

Methinks you have the meaning of Collect On Time completely backwards. You don't adjust your life to the game, you adjust the game to your life. See the first line of my signature.

No, I think he has it right. You have to say on day 1, I will be able to collect at this time on day 2. However, real life if not always predictable. The kids need you, or your folks need you, or your spouse suggests going somewhere. So in order to collect on time, you say, sorry, I am tied to my game and have to collect or get plundered. Or I have to pull out the phone while doing something else to collect on time. Your philosophy works really well for someone who has a very predictable life. It doesn't work so well for me, or anyone who has people in their life who may actually make life a little less predictable. Even if my family was totally predictable, I am not. Say I decide to collect after everyone is in bed at night or before everyone gets up in the morning. My own body is not predictable. I have a problem sleeping. If I get tired and can get to sleep earlier than usual, I should go to sleep. So depending on my night sleep, that influences the time I get up in the morning. I ahve stayed up just to collect before and than couldn't get to sleep. No, this collecting on time works well for people who have very predictable lives. It doesn't work for me.

DeletedUser11215

You work 10 hour days, and can't use your computer at work. You also are not allowed to have a phone at your workplace. You set your time to:

a)15 minutes
b) 1 hour
c) 4 hours
d) 8 hours
e) 1 day
f ) 2 days

Yeah, lots of options there.

Algona

I agree honey55, reality can intervene in your game play. I missed out on a concert a while back because of reality. I didn't get upset at the promoter. Life happens.

No, Tarry has it backwards. He appear to think you have to sit and wait for production when the Collect On Time method means you simply set production for when you will be on. And yeah, life will happen.

You work 10 hour days, and can't use your computer at work. You also are not allowed to have a phone at your workplace. You set your time to:

No smart phone, I push an idiot stick* so no computer at work, and work 14 hour shifts a couple days a week along with some lesser shifts. Married, large extended family, no kids, lots of friends, homeowner and due to wife's physical problems do most chores.

Plundered once in the last 3 months; less then a dozen times in over a year.

Is my city productive? I dunno. I'm in Prog, have supplied the Goods to guildies to build 19 Traz (and counting!), and currently have over 75,000 Goods in stock. You judge.

There have been and are a lot of smart posters (no, I'm not one of them) on this forum who freely give good advice to figure out how to not get plundered. Ruby Rainfall (I really miss Ruby) was my original mentor. Glarg and JennyButler are well worth listening to. There are others. jaelis' most excellent stickied thread in the Questions forum is a good place to start. All ya gotta do is ask.

*Idiot stick: a 4 foot wooden dowel with a broom head at one end and an idiot at the other end.

EDIT: Tarry if your supplies are getting plundered you're doing something wrong. Get them motivated so they can't be plundered.

Last edited:

DeletedUser14197

Reality in this game, if you can call it that, is that each person may have totally different experiences. Some people are put in really bad hoods. I know someone who told me she has been top in her hood for ages, and she was a lower age than I am, so it would have been totally possible for the game to put her in a hood where she could not attack her hood and where she in turn would have been the one attacked. In some of my cities I am attacked alot. In others, rarely ever. In my main city I was sixty something in the hood for MONTHS. I have been plundered before while collecting on time. I have come back late and not been plundered. I realize that some people simply forget continually to come back because their life is more important than this game and they have not determined their life around the game. No matter how you put it. If I set my goods to when I believe I can come back, I am still living my life around this game in the sense that I am attached to this game. Once I set them, I NEED to come back if I am likely to be plundered or suffer the consequences. On line games make their games in such a way to make you want to keep coming back. Their goal if they are a successful game is to keep you attached to their game. They are developed this way on purpose. It is simply a good business practice.

DeletedUser9433

I am aware that one is a game and the other is real life, but I am supplying an analogy. Telling someone to "Just collect on time" in the game is analogous to telling someone to "Just pay the protection money." Both situations prevent "Something bad from happening". The something bad being caused by another individual who only does this if you don't do the other. And I would say it does have an effect on someones real life in that you become a slave to the game and another player, being forced to do something at a specific time every day or there will be a consequence caused by another individual. If the developers think this adds enjoyment to the gaming experience, I really think they should seek psychiatric help.

Very poor analogy, in the real life scenario you are being forced by someone else because you simply exist in the wrong place at the wrong time , in the game you are choosing to play so no one else is forcing you to do anything. You may in fact ignore your collection times and be plundered. You may even come to the forum and complain how unfair it is however be prepared to be criticized.

Algona

Reality in this game, if you can call it that, is that each person may have totally different experiences.

Sure. And quite often it's people who don't understand the game or are new who are having 'bad experiences' and posting complaints about getting plundered. And usually those people have not bothered asking how to solve their problem, instead it's whining about bullying and such.

Take Tarry. Based on the question in his last post, he's upset about getting supplies plundered. Which is really odd given his join date.

If instead of complaining about being blackmailed he asked for help, he wouldn't have that problem.