• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for Guild Expedition.. Level 5

qaccy

You keep saying that as if it were true of most players. Why don't you share what your defense boosts are? If you're not negotiating, the only way you're clearing GE5 without using Diamonds (which you've claimed in a previous post), is if you have either insane defense boosts already (or are using up the bottle boosts we got in the last event) or you're using higher age units (would SAJM units be that much better than SAV units?). So tell us, which is it?
Actually, I'm saying it as if it's true just for me, because it is. I also already outlined how I've been clearing it in a previous post. My baseline defensive stats at the time were around 500/600, and they've since been increased by about +100 each (up to 645/730 now). Beyond that, I've been building fortifications to increase my attack power and infiltrate if available (think this is only on the checkpoint encounters), but mostly for the final four. This costs some goods, but it's nowhere close to the cost of trying to negotiate and it's still not using any diamonds. I also make sure I have Kraken and especially Virgo available. You'll probably balk at this like you did with Pericles' plan for using the FT, but my counterpoint here is that if I'm gonna be making use of Virgo, it might as well be for encounters where it can actually make a difference rather than GbG battle #762 of the season.

The one aspect of my GE5 gameplay that's not sustainable long-term is the use of defense potions, which I do stack up fairly heavily to raise my defensive bonus. You'll probably jump all over this point as a 'Gotcha!' but I'm already aware that it's not a long-term strategy. That's why I'm working towards improving the buildings in my city, to the point where I don't have to use them anymore. ;)

Pericles the Lion

The one aspect of my GE5 gameplay that's not sustainable long-term is the use of defense potions, which I do stack up fairly heavily to raise my defensive bonus. You'll probably jump all over this point as a 'Gotcha!' but I'm already aware that it's not a long-term strategy. That's why I'm working towards improving the buildings in my city, to the point where I don't have to use them anymore. ;)
This season, with new Virgo and a recently levelled up Kraken firing, I was able to fight the first 11 encounters (SAJM) with the help of 15 30% blue bottles. Even at this burn rate I have enough potions to last 6 months. If the last event is any indication, we will likely see blue potions available in coming events. Also, the AD has been generous, lately, with blue bottles. It seems to me that INNO is giving us help in dealing with the challenge of Level 5. What seemed to be impossible a few weeks ago now appears to be much less so today - even for SAJM players.

Johnny B. Goode

Well, you're not going to convince me and I'm clearly not going to convince you, so that part of this discussion is over. The only last thing I have to say directly about it is that the defense boosts that GE5 buildings provide are irrelevant to me mainly because they are useless to me outside GE5. YMMV

What I find interesting out of all this is the completely different paradigm for attack boost bottles and defense boost bottles. At least for me, the attack boost bottles have never been terribly relevant, mostly due to the fact that they don't stack. Now, for GE5 at least, defense boost bottles are almost required. And even there, they're only really relevant because you can stack them. It will be interesting if they do continue to be widely available in events going forward. It will also be interesting to see if Inno does start providing more defense boost buildings.

DoubleJ

I didn't expect for you to get the metaphor. You choose to leave the lima beans. Others relish them.
Not to a good look to criticize someone for pointing out that a bad metaphor is bad.
It is a game? yes?
You may call responding to a new 'feature' madness. I call it opportunity to figure out how to manage a new diabolical play strategy in the game.
I call sticking your head in the sand and ignoring GE 5 rather foolish.
The fragments are all a side diversion anyway! When did you actually use that garbage you got from GE? (maybe years ago.. LOL)
The new feature is poorly implemented. Something isn't a "challenge" merely because it is badly designed. GE5 is badly designed. And people use the garbage from GE to feed the AD so they can get things that are actually useful. And everyone uses diamonds, which are now much rarer thanks to this poorly implemented "feature."
Comparing all but GBs. The Forgotten Temple provides 40% red attack (2.96/sq) which, iirc, is second only to Yggdrasil. The FT provides 50% blue attack which, iirc, is second only to Tactician's Tower L2. The value of the FT's 20% forge point boost is city-dependent but can make it the #1 FP producing building. Taken in their entirety, the benefits of the Forgotten Temple seem superior to any other buildings (excluding GBs) in the game.
Opportunity cost. FT is effectively a 62 square building, since it seems to require a KK and VP to obtain which most players don't otherwise build. Certainly the VP was a meme building before this, which basically no higher level player built.

Ebeondi Asi

You can have fun playing the game. Or, you can gripe day in day out. Maybe some have fun plain being miserable? Then complain on! Some of us are working to be able to fight GE 5 It is not costing us too much. Just gradually working toward a new goal.
For the rest of you? .. No one cares. Seriously gripe away. no one is listening.
In my top Guilds .. Players ae building VP. They started a blueprint swapping thread in two of my Guilds for it.

This could be a classic case study for "Who moved my Cheese"

Last edited:

honey55

You can have fun playing the game. Or, you can gripe day in day out. Maybe some have fun plain being miserable? Then complain on! Some of us are working to be able to fight GE 5 It is not costing us too much. Just gradually working toward a new goal.
For the rest of you? .. No one cares. Seriously gripe away. no one is listening.
In my top Guilds .. Players ae building VP. They started a blueprint swapping thread in two of my Guilds for it.

This could be a classic case study for "Who moved my Cheese"
This is a feedback forum. This is the place one comes to say what they like and dislike. Who is complaining now?

CDmark

Well, where have I been, lots of GE5 discussion. GE5, is a challenge, no doubt. GE5 has costs, let me list them, These costs will probably be for the greater majority, the ones that have advanced units (ie hovers in PME) or a city already set with defending stats (the ones hard to beat in PvP) are special cases, not the norm

1) Time - Yes there will be time, about 30-45 min per week for the encounters. It is 16 encounters. Week 1, I did 15 negos with tavern boost still active when done. There is also time adjusting your city but that was week 1, the plan is to make certain easy changes when I get buildings. I still do GE1-4 every week, so let's say 1hr, high spot number per week additional. I may spend the most time helping and explaining things to guildmates and friends, from my strategy (for me) to tricks I am learning. There is no cookie cutter design, some things will apply to all then there are age specific things like units and player city specific items. Also, you don't get anything at all until at LEAST 4, time is the thing.
2) Goods - This is the big cost. The more negos the more goods, the 4 checkpoints having spikes (someone used that term earlier, like it, ty).
3) Diamonds - It will cost diamonds based on how many negos you do, impossible to be perfect. I use a value of 50%, so 16 negos, 80 diamonds. Hmm, where did I see that number 80 before, specifically 81, the theoretical diamonds I would get doing GE 4.
4) 62000 FPs and 25 tiles - SBC would be the 75% A/D backbone, 25 tiles for all GE5 focused cities. This would mean L99, cost, about 62K FPs. I calculated leveling Zeus/CoA/CDM, all 3, L91-101, is about the same, so there is 15% RED A/D for 75% BLUE A/D, this is a specific, one time cost but I think it is necessary for anyone doing GE5.

THERE IS SIGNIFICANT COST, there is no other way to phrase it.

What I not doing
1) I am still keeping about 95% of my attacking A/D as a goal and I believe I will get the 5% back (very possible more) when buildings mature, like L3 Feathered Serpent. I may lose out on 5 attrition at the most. After 1000 FP in a day farming, the 10-50 more from the 5% loss is a loss of reward, wouldn't say cost (these are guesses but usually it is from the attrition burn prior to reset). My SBC replaced a Crows Nest. This is an example of city specific, mine has it, yours may not.
2) I tell people hold off on Deal Castle for now. Not sure that space, 7x7, is worth the BLUE 75% A/D (yes could be more than 75%)

I see GE5 like Cultural Settlements a bit. If a player chooses not to do it, hey, I respect it 100%. In some ways I do not blame them, it isn't cheap. Players that are doing it, great, I hope we can share tips. So, why a cultural settlements comparison? I got Yggy, like the Sun Temple, doing it casually. I don't really want to spend the time for the Bath House, and other 2 Temples, nice buildings and Emissaries too. Not sure why, just not for me right now. I could always dabble in it, now that I get nutcrackers, I wouldn't feel I have to get the secondary 2x2 reward buildings.

Red Team Rewards (the attacking army)

That L3 Feathered Serpent (FS) is the best building in the game, 3x2, 15% A/D for attacking army, 10 FP. 2 of them, 30% A/D, 20 FP, 12 tiles versus Yggy and Sun Temple, 30% A/D, 18 FP, 60 goods, 21 tiles. I could even sneak in a 3rd one, 45% A/D for less space, 30 FP. But why choose when you could have all of them....lol. Why isn't Forgotten Temple (FT) the best? the timer. It is better, the numbers, but you would have to have it 100% of the time which means all 16 encounters every week so there is the commitment. FS no, once you get it, it is yours to use.

The Forgotten Temple is really good, 40% A/D, 12 tiles, can't be beat for pure stats, but high maintenance (think local baker trying to date a Rockefeller...lol)

The Serpent fins (2x2 chain, 5% A/D Attacking, no road) is a nice add on to the FS, nice option, can be beat but can assist at times, depends on your city.

The Divine Sky Watch, 3x2, 4% A/D and 5 FP, do the first encounter 5 fragments but you don't get the 10 more until encounter 10 (very sneaky on Inno's part). So just a completely casual, 1 encounter approach, it takes 24 weeks minimum (unless you get those stupid portraits) it is done. For lower level, it beats Artemis, Royal Marble, great for lower ages as a replacement. Cheap, 10 goods if nego E1, but time.

The above 4 items, taking the costs into consideration, is what would benefit the Red team. That is the decision. Now, you don't need to complete GE5, more completed, faster rewards with the larger fragment % in the last 4 encounters (where you can still get the lame portraits, a real hit if it happens in the last 4). I can't tell you how much I hate those portraits. This one ranks 2nd worst, 1st, of course, is the L1-4 diamond heist.

The Blue team Rewards (defending army)

Greater Ritual Flame - 2x1, 7% A/D. Why better the L2 Ritual? Blue attack which is lacking. Blue defense, there is plenty including potions. Yes, this is where city space will be taken for defensive stats, specifically, that is the price.

Serpent Spikes - 2x2, no road, chain to FS, 15% Blue A/D, for GE5, it would be important. 3.75A/D per tile, L147 SBC would give the same (think I did the math right). When you attach it to the FS L3, here is where the FS comes down from the clouds and can be compared to other buildings but it is essentially a BLUE boost for minimal, sometimes no loss on the RED side.

Let's say, for example (let's agree is it a good event building)
L3 Serpent + 2 spikes, 14 tiles, 15% red A/D and 30% blue A/D compared to SAJM Eagle Mountain, 26% A, 31%D
FS 1.07 A/tile EM 1.08 A/Tile - FS 1.07 D/tile EM 1.29 D/tile
So, slightly less red D, +30% blue A/D.
This is what I see sacrificing on the red A or D, depends on building. This is why I tell people don't go cuckoo removing things, just take it in steps. Also, the lower the age the better it is, I took the best EM stats, SAJM.

FT - 50% blue A/D, 12 tiles with the best red A/D. If you can maintain it, it is a great building.

There is actually a good amount of strategy with GE5, using forts, getting past the next encounter, temporary fixes like potions to maybe pass one of the checkpoints (E4/8/12/16) to save goods (diamonds too). This is what I like about it, got spreadsheets too, wifey not happy....lol

Also I read about golden buildings like Viceroy Villa, L10 Gov Villa and costs (@honey55). My opinion, here is where the scam lies, the impulse to try and rush GE5 stats. Be careful folks, it really needs to help and be achievable. I am in beta, told them 1 thing. If you want $15, players want the Golden upgrade for Gov villa with normal event play, get L9 Trading Post, the Viceroy upgrade should be at that same last upgrade. Right now, it could cost 4200 diamonds too, my estimate, so we should not have to spend diamonds too, ie double dipping, real $ and D (which is $ since diamond heist; those few extra diamonds would be used for situations like this). This would include the upgrade to the event building too, to golden level, Buccaneers Bay. OR, give us a 1x1 statue for fragments of Viceroy villa (like the Panda Statue we had in wildlife event, beta), make it something we can get with time or money (Inno show you care and are serious about giving us the tools).

Now, event buildings are coming out with 2 or more attributes, red A/D and blue A in the
Summer event my Iron Age player, 4x5,
L9 Traders Post RED - 6% A/21%D BLUE - 16%A,
Gold (level 10) called Buccaneers Bay - RED 11%A/31%D BLUE - 26%A

Those numbers can change but I think you can see, extra will be given just the time element, event by event. So even waiting and doing nothing, cities will automatically have more BLUE stats, no GE5, no changes to cities, RED A/D in tact, possibly better, just swapping out current buildings (for this one, Olympic treasury, Gentiana Windmill (no chains) are direct drop ins, don't even need to think about adjusting city).

One last comment, current L2 rituals, L2 watchfires and L2 tacts. I am only looking at the L2 tacts to help with the lack of BLUE attack (temporary fix but 4%/tile is a decent amount). The other 2, defensive help, can be gotten by potions, easily. I didn't go potion cuckoo the first 3 weeks, rather, I established my baseline and now I can see what I want to do to keep increasing attack encounters to reduce nego goods costs (when I say nego goods cost, always think, 50% of the encounters, 10 diamond cost, do 8 negos, think 40 diamonds).

I am tracking diamond cost every week (and diamonds earned). I don't consider my spreadsheet time for other players but I like data, helps me see the cost of the effort clearly. I will probably report when I get about 10 weeks worth of information, think it would be helpful for others.

Lastly, the staggered FT is something I considered helpful for GE5, getting 5 GE seasons for a 28 day timed building. You should get 2 full GBG seasons with the RED 40% A/D but that could be staggered over 3 seasons, depending on placement time. The extra 50 fragments per 5 weeks, in 20 weeks free FT in inventory. I considered those fragments as a back up, week off, family vacation, who knows. But, I read placing 2 FTs comment by Johnny, didn't even think about that possibility. One would expect the RED/BLUE A/D to stack but a 40% FP boost?

So folks, hopefully some of this information helps you understand the impact of GE5, good and bad.

Last edited:

DoubleJ

Lastly, the staggered FT is something I considered helpful for GE5, getting 5 GE seasons for a 28 day timed building. You should get 2 full GBG seasons with the RED 40% A/D but that could be staggered over 3 seasons, depending on placement time. The extra 50 fragments per 5 weeks, in 20 weeks free FT in inventory. I considered those fragments as a back up, week off, family vacation, who knows. But, I read placing 2 FTs comment by Johnny, didn't even think about that possibility. One would expect the RED/BLUE A/D to stack but a 40% FP boost?

So folks, hopefully some of this information helps you understand the impact of GE5, good and bad.
Lots of good points, but just wanted to comment on the 40% thing. I don't know if they stack, but even if they do unless they stack multiplicatively, the gain is the same. If I get 20% on 100 FO two weeks in a row that's no different than getting 40% on 100 FP and then 0% on 100 FP the next week. Assuming someone spends the 28 days to get the 28 day duration building with no gaps or missed fragments, the net change in FP is the same whether the FTs are staggered or dropped all at once

Pericles the Lion

You can enjoy eating a turd sandwich. Or you can complain that the restaurant you used to enjoy added a turd sandwich to their menu. Maybe some people just like whining about food? Some of us enjoy eating turds. It is not costing me much. Just working towards eating more and more of the turd.
The rest of you? No one cares. Gripe away, no one is listening in this feedback forum specifically designed to gather opinions on the turd sandwich.
In my top guilds, we're all eating turds and liking them. I started exchanging recipes so I can eat even more turds.

This is a classic case study of people who uncritically swallow crap.
Your colorful prose reminds me of the Dr. Seuss story "Green Eggs and Ham". Instead of characterizing L5 as a "turd sandwich" perhaps you should suck it up and give it a try. Hear that sound? It's the sound of Virgos, SBCs, and Krakens going up in all of the servers. It seems that the initial uproar over L5 is fading. Soon, it appears, the voices of opposition will fade into obscurity - just like they did with the abort limit.

qaccy

Your colorful prose reminds me of the Dr. Seuss story "Green Eggs and Ham". Instead of characterizing L5 as a "turd sandwich" perhaps you should suck it up and give it a try. Hear that sound? It's the sound of Virgos, SBCs, and Krakens going up in all of the servers. It seems that the initial uproar over L5 is fading. Soon, it appears, the voices of opposition will fade into obscurity - just like they did with the abort limit.
To be fair, while these voices (and discussion in general) do fade over time, we can only guess as to why that happens. It could be those voices sucking it up and dealing with it eventually, but it could also be them leaving the game or just because enough time has passed that it's not a new thing anymore. Given the size of the playerbase and differing preferences, it's probably all of these things (and others that I didn't think of).

In related news, while my guild has seen a toooon of activity regarding the SBC in the past couple weeks, there's been almost no focus on either Deal Castle or Virgo. Deal's probably just still being skipped because of its size, but it's possible that many of the players in my guild already had Virgo which could explain the lack of activity there, since I agree that it's a pretty powerful tool for GE5.

CDmark

E9, 10, 11 portraits still there, wonder what happened, I got all excited for nothing. And guess who got a portrait in E11 instead of 15 fragments of FS, one guess.
Hint, starts with C ends with k. I was already gonna be short due to prior weeks on the FS by 5 but now it is -20 fragments. My spikes are a little short too.

E13,14,15 are alive and doing well. Just that one encounter, E7.

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

E9, 10, 11 portraits still there, wonder what happened, I got all excited for nothing. And guess who got a portrait in E11 instead of 15 fragments of FS, one guess.
Hint, starts with C ends with k. I was already gonna be short due to prior weeks on the FS by 5 but now it is -20 fragments. My spikes are a little short too.
I'm not sure if I understand. There are 18 portraits. My guess is that we'll see some number of encounters with a 10% chance of a portrait until we collect all 18. After that it should be 100% frags.

CDmark

I'm not sure if I understand. There are 18 portraits. My guess is that we'll see some number of encounters with a 10% chance of a portrait until we collect all 18. After that it should be 100% frags.
yes but on encounter 7, they didnt show at all, it was 10% 5 fragments. will check later and see how many portraits I have

tuck everlasting

Improvise, adapt, overcome. I have 4 towns that started as GE diamond farms. As time marched on I planted a lot of WWs and FoYs to supplement the GE diamonds. With the diamonds in GE getting nerfed I'll build a ToR and take it to 80. At that level it will spawn a FoY every other season, on average. At that point I guess I'll just wait for INNO to nerf the ToR and/or the WWs/FoYs.
I'm sure they will due to the fact that the game is a cash cow..they will continue to drop out out the potential for free diamonds until the game implodes

tuck everlasting

I read the announcement and was concerned at first. But, I found it, GE level 3 selection kit, tribal squares still available, phew...NOT

I joined beta, figured IA city to do events ahead of time. So I will see how it goes, GE1-4. I will never do GE5 there, not the goal of the player. One thing I mentioned, no chance for champs or rogues. Those are very helpful to newer players. Also, doing GE live, I noticed that the extra attempts are given with the FP reward, 2nd encounter of each quadrant. Why not give it with the coin/supplies 1st encounter of each quadrant? You give more FPs but water it down a bit by including the attempts as part of the posible reward. I just started GE on live server but I am guessing the medals are gone too, another new player handy item. They made a few adjustments based on beta responses in GE1-4 but I think they were expecting them. So, they fixed some things with the fragments and selection kits but kept the FOY reduction and diamond heist the same. Why do obvious things, like too many fragments needed for rewards. So we can get an improvement cookie. I think the development team knows the game well enough, so that is just playing games with the players.

I watched all the videos and read all the beta forum for GE5 changes. Basically, in my opinion, GE5 should have never been tested on beta, here is why. They were not planning to change it all so why waste the time of beta players. What,, help fix the little things like "there is a typo on encounter 6 reward" or "it says 5/200 fragments but it should be 5/100". Honestly,. do it yourself, you are getting paid. The goods spent by beta players to complete it, lots, hasn't changed based on wikia. They inflated the stats of the opposing army E9 to E16, then reduced them 20%, That was the "here is your cookie, we value your opinion". Again, let's be honest, no you don't. Just be honest and treat players like adults. We may fight like kids but we are adults. The statues for negotiations, choice of 3, only one helps, the Tlacotzontli Statue, takes it from 10 options to 9.

I also asked for the complete list of opposing army stats for all ages to be posted somewhere, it has to exist. Nothing, let wikia do it.

For the record, I do not mind the use of city defense for GE5. I do not mind that it can not be battled to completion by over 99.9% of the players. I accept it as a new challenge. I think upgrades will be coming out, like a golden Gov Villa, will add on city defense stats too, just an example. I can see event buildings having multiple A/D, now including city defense stats. Sure, some strategy choices will have to be made, fine by me. The problem with the 500 city defense potions I have, need ones for attack, otherwise it is still an encounter lost with no attack improvements.

I posted they should let the live world know, GE5 will require city defense army stats as a courtesy because of the Phantom Tower of Conjunction event building. Sure, it would also trigger the $15 spend line possibility, but I consider that fair, players choice. I didn't think they were gonna release it, oh well.

Portraits in GE5 as a reward is an insult, no other way to put it. That 10% could easily be some diamonds, not 50, like 100+, to help with the cost to negotiate GE5,,,,you will spend diamonds and probably the diamonds you made in GE1-4, so GE will be net zero diamonds
There is only diamond rewards in ge level 4 they took away l the other opportunities to collect diamonds