• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How to accrue special event buildings?

Bosshoof

As a fairly new player, I am looking to follow some advice about reducing my number of houses. Special event buildings and certain great buildings were the consensus. What is the best way to get and grow special event buildings? I have just entered the Colonial age, so it is a long way to the GBs recommended (Alcatraz, Royal Albert Hall, Innovation Tower, among others). Long term plan is to donate a few FPs to someone with these GBs to collect more blueprints and wait until I have advanced enough to earn or trade for the goods needed for construction. Am I missing anything?

RazorbackPirate

You can build GBs from any age in any age. Get all the prints then you need, then buy the goods for FPs from a goods seller. If you're a fairly new player and in CA, you're likely moving too fast. Once you get to the end of the CA tech tree, stop researching tech and focus on building a strong city.

Acquiring Special Buildings takes time, you need to do events. If you've not been getting a fully upgraded event building each event, you're likely also doing the events wrong. You can usually find the best strategy to approach them here on the forum. Check out the Feedback threads.

Bosshoof

You can build GBs from any age in any age. Get all the prints then you need, then buy the goods for FPs from a goods seller. If you're a fairly new player and in CA, you're likely moving too fast. Once you get to the end of the CA tech tree, stop researching tech and focus on building a strong city.

Acquiring Special Buildings takes time, you need to do events. If you've not been getting a fully upgraded event building each event, you're likely also doing the events wrong. You can usually find the best strategy to approach them here on the forum. Check out the Feedback threads.
What do you mean by a strong city? I have concentrated on building more than fighting, though I have slowly upgraded my small army by replacing old military installations with newer.

Reese7990

A couple of questions. What is your current population, available population, and happiness demand?

Do you have the Tower of Babel?

What special event buildings do you have? And have you brought them up to Colonial age yet?

Lady Gato

722 population, available 3; add'tl happiness 92 - no cultural or decorative. ToB level 2. No event bldgs. I am in BA. :) I know you weren't meaning me.

Edit: I also have a zeus level 5

RazorbackPirate

A couple of questions. What is your current population, available population, and happiness demand?

Do you have the Tower of Babel?

What special event buildings do you have? And have you brought them up to Colonial age yet?
I'd also ask what GBs you currently have and what levels they're at.

Emberguard

What do you mean by a strong city? I have concentrated on building more than fighting, though I have slowly upgraded my small army by replacing old military installations with newer.
By Colonial Age you've reached a point where you would greatly benefit from having Zeus, Cathedral of Aachen and Castel Del Monte all at Lvl 10 before moving forward. You could get away with only having two of those GBs but not for much longer as the difficulty increases significantly once you reach Progressive.

The main things for building city strength is going to be:
(1) Getting enough boosts to fight any army you need to beat (with rogues if necessary)
(2) enough goods production to have a increasing goods stock after all expenditure
(3) Can you keep up with event requirements?

Each age will increase the amount of FPs required for event quests along with productions, supplies and coins needed. If you're not able to get to the end of a event questline then you need to stop advancing and focus on whatever your weakest city aspect is that's preventing you from completing events.

If time is the issue then you need to use the smallest sized production buildings you can get your hands on for your age and fill your city with enough that you can be preparing productions ahead of time. You don't need to look up the quests ahead of time necessarily, just as long as you've got enough to start 8 hrs, 4 hrs, 24 hrs, or whatever in batches to go through quests faster when it comes up.

If you find yourself not getting enough daily FPs for your city then you need to either be
a - finding ways to increase your inventory on a regular basis or
b - getting as many FP special buildings as possible to ramp up your daily income or
c - stop long enough to build up the FP Great Buildings you have available for your age (Hagia and Castel Del Monte) or
d- if you want advanced GBs then whatever else you decide to build.

Bosshoof

I'd also ask what GBs you currently have and what levels they're at.
I Have Lighthouse @ lv 4, Tower of Babel @ lv 4 and Oracle @ lv 5. Event: Shinto Temple lv 1 LMA, Airship lv 3 CA, Majestic Stag lv 2 CA, Standing Stone lv 1 LMA, Victory Tower lv 1 CA. Population 8543, available 357. I have 2 renovation kits in stock.

WinnerGR

I Have Lighthouse @ lv 4, Tower of Babel @ lv 4 and Oracle @ lv 5. Event: Shinto Temple lv 1 LMA, Airship lv 3 CA, Majestic Stag lv 2 CA, Standing Stone lv 1 LMA, Victory Tower lv 1 CA. Population 8543, available 357.
I would advise that you sell the OoD

Reese7990

I Have Lighthouse @ lv 4, Tower of Babel @ lv 4 and Oracle @ lv 5. Event: Shinto Temple lv 1 LMA, Airship lv 3 CA, Majestic Stag lv 2 CA, Standing Stone lv 1 LMA, Victory Tower lv 1 CA. Population 8543, available 357. I have 2 renovation kits in stock.

Ok. So at this point you have few options, but with these next 2 events, especially the summer event you can make some leaps forward.

To lose a few residences, you could continue to lvl your ToB, though not a huge population, you could lvl it and take down a few residences, plus those daily collection of goods certainly cant hurt. I would not level your Oracle anymore. You will likely get rid of it at some point, especially if you have room issues.

The 2nd thing you can do is look for buildings in the antique shop that offer population. The Lords Manor as this point in your growth would be a great building to have. You could swap out several residences if you got one.

Other than the main buildings the soccer event does not offer a lot of population solutions. That said the Summer Event will feature the Crows Nest, if you can fully level it, you will be able to get rid of a bunch of residences. Even to Lvl 5 it gives 2k population. Almost 3k at lvl 8. Im assuming the Governor's Villa will also give population. The Ship also will be offered and it too provides generous population.

My strong suggestion is to work your city to be in prime condition when the summer Event starts. (July or August). Go hard in the summer event after the Main Event building, the ship and the Crows Nest. You may if you do well in that event be able to get rid of all your residences, and also have a ton of great producing event buildings.

Freshmeboy

Some good replies here Boss but the best one is to slooooow down. It isn't just about military strength its about amassing goods at each age. It's about building an FP inventory and gathering prints for future GB's. It's about playing those events and planting those monster buildings to use less space and motes per FP.
I know the cool commercial shows the caveman and his lady trading goods from their floating sky house within thirty seconds but it most definitely is not the correct strategy...Good luck

Reese7990

Some good replies here Boss but the best one is to slooooow down. It isn't just about military strength its about amassing goods at each age. It's about building an FP inventory and gathering prints for future GB's. It's about playing those events and planting those monster buildings to use less space and motes per FP.
I know the cool commercial shows the caveman and his lady trading goods from their floating sky house within thirty seconds but it most definitely is not the correct strategy...Good luck

Agreed I started playing 1 year before the OP in late Feb of 2019. Im in Colonial Age after almost a year and a half of playing. Id say Ive been here 4 months? So it took me a little over a year to get to Colonial. I'm very close to moving forward to Modern, and I'm very happy with my city, and progression, because I took the time early in the game to grind out that base building work of leveling my attack/defense buildings to lvl 10, getting the Traz Rogue Hideout combo, crushing events to get maxed event buildings, and then making my Arc to 80 run. Now Im turning my Gbs into powerhouses by first raising them to lvl 60 then to 80...then...more. But it took patience, perseverance and planning to get here. But it can be done!

DevaCat

Okay. No military GBs, low-level event buildings -- you know, a screen shot of your city might help you get more targeted advice, but I'll take a shot. You said that you have concentrated on building more than fighting, although you're keeping the military buildings up to date. And that you need population. Well, all those barracks and goods buildings and supply producers eat population. There are ways to get those resources without building those buildings, you just have to do a little research.

Just an example, if you have 2 of the same military unit's barracks I wouldn't be surprised, I've seen it in other cities -- without any boost from a military GB you probably need more barracks just to do whatever fighting you do. Build that CdM, get some levels and improve your units enough to ditch that second barracks and free up pop. You'll also be making fps along the way.

Are your goods buildings only the ones for which you have the deposits? If you have any unboosted goods producers ditch them immediately.

Agree about stop leveling Oracle. Won't hurt to keep it for now, but your fps are better spent on LoA or Babel. Don't know if you have enough resources to shop the AD, but that's a possibility.

Here's the thing. You can think about buildings like an Inno so you can get more pop to build more tech tree buildings, pretty much what you're doing, or you can go the other route -- work to build GBs that will provide what you need without those pop-hungry buildings. The space you save you can fill with FP producers, event buildings, more GBs, etc. And remember, all that pop requires a lot of Happy -- do you have culture and deco placed to deal with that? Those can all be eliminated as well, freeing up more space for more productive use.

I agree completely that it's a good idea to pause and work on your city. Colonial is a good place to do it. Everything gets harder/more expensive moving forward. Good advice posted above. I'll just add that in my last 3 cities I haven't had any houses after late-Iron or beginning of EMA. Haven't needed them.

Farfle the smelly

Are your goods buildings only the ones for which you have the deposits? If you have any unboosted goods producers ditch them immediately.

Sorry to hijack the thread but can you elaborate on this? I’m comfortable in Iron and curious about building when I don’t have a deposit. Are there boosts for when you don’t have a deposit? If so, gimme gimme!

DevaCat

Sorry to hijack the thread but can you elaborate on this? I’m comfortable in Iron and curious about building when I don’t have a deposit. Are there boosts for when you don’t have a deposit? If so, gimme gimme!
Sorry, I was just suggesting that if someone doesn't have a map deposit then they shouldn't build a goods building for that good -- it's far more efficient to trade the goods you can produce (with deposits) for the goods that you have no deposit for.

Lol, yeah, having a boost that would bypass the need for having a deposit might sound good but it would mess with game balance -- lacking deposits ensures we get involved in trading in the first place.

Another way to get "no deposit" goods is to build a Chateau Frontenac and do recurring quests. Get a few levels on that CF and you can get the goods you need. Get a few more levels and you can get rid of all your goods buildings. Then you can get all your goods from CF/RQs, never have to worry about goods buildings getting plundered, and you've made room for event buildings, FP producers, whatever you need.