• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Next steps with Mobile Video Ads (Feedback thread)

Coolbroke

I was offended by the religious ads ,,especially the one that ends in the question ,,do yo believe in god above all else,, I do ,,but many of my Jewish friends were offended ,,I submitted a ticket ,,no good response from INNO ,..I play five cities ,,I will not buy diamonds as long as you all ( INNO ) make money off ads ,,no need for me to support a game I love ,,make you money without me ,,as I run out of diamonds I will delete my cities ,,soon ill be forced to delete my main as a lack of diamonds to negotiate GE and GBG will make it impossible to play for an active guild,,this must be addressed soon and repaired

Man4star

I’m submitting this to the Inno forum, FOE FaceBook page and FOE support with the hope it finds it way to those who make decisions. Today for the first time ever I had a video ad inside FOE on my mobile device and I don’t do video ads! I understand Inno’s need to generate a revenue stream and I have actively participated in that effort by spending $802.37 over 957 days of play. But evidently that was not enough income generated from my account as Inno now wants to subject me to ads. In response, Inno will now get nothing as I will wrap-up my play by the end of this GBG session and hibernate my cities (deleting one). Perhaps I will return at a later time to see if Inno comes to its senses and exempts those with an active purchase history from video ads, but then again, I may find those recovered daily hours too valuable to ever give to Inno again. I know my dog will appreciate the increased attention

Knotty Helmsman

Dear Kings and Queens,

Please leave any feedback for our announcement Next steps with Mobile Video Ads below. Please keep it constructive so we can pass along your thoughts. Thanks!

Your forge of Empires team
Maybe instrad Of pushing ads you should make the stuff to buy less ridiculously expensive so more people will buy them and you wouldn’t have to stoop this low for revenue…. Really diminishes the game.

gprimr1

1. For players within the test group, the ability to see Video Ads will stop being determined by their previous spending. At the same time, players can disable Ads by taking advantage of the Forge Plus package.

This is very penny smart, pound foolish, and a bad idea. If people are already spending money to support your service, you are achieving the goal you want to achieve by adding ads.

I don't think it's unreasonable with the cost of running a business to run ads to recover costs from people who aren't buying anything, but if you have active users who are buying diamonds, not considering their previous spending is a short-sighted idea. Now, of course, there can be limits, like if they bought $10 dollars worth of diamonds 10 years ago, that's one thing, but users who are contributing actively should be exempted from ads.

Bian Mian

On the very last update you can accelerate (!) building construction by watching an ad. You got a second round pop up near the one for diams so your screen can get really quickly fully covered of these pop up , for exemple when putting culture filling building in a settlement. Then if you take the option to watch the video ad, you are in for a cheat on you, as it doesn't even work lol. (Well they say it doesn't work on this building after you watch the video thanks for watching (ah no they didn't say the last))

The Lady Redneck

I have been around long enough to remember the last time Inno tried ads in FoE. Then it was tied to an onscreen building that you could ignore if you didn't want to see ads. And that felt like something that could be discarded if the test didn't go well...and it was discarded. I don't know what Inno thought had changed that prompted this attempt at injecting ads into the game,
I may be wrong but I think That happened before MGT bought INNOGames.

I cannot believe that a gaming company like that does not have enough knowledge of their own industry not to know what a mess this is. So I have no doubt that like in any other part of life the people who actually do the job are the last ones that are listened to. Whoever is behind this has probably never played a real computer game and thinks that gamers just sit staring at a screen like the millions who watch TV do. So it is ok to bombard them with adverts. I hope this is not the case and that someone with enough clout looks at this and uses some common sense.

Last edited:

Dillamond

this has completely destroyed my enjoyment of this simple game that takes me out of the real world, not shoves it in my face. And i have enjoyed playing for more than 5 years. There are so many options to monetize effectively but this is not it. It almost seems to be an intentional wrecking of the game play experience to such an extent that perhaps the developers want to wind the game down and have us move to other games. I’m winding down some friendships this week and moving on…

PrinceHope

I am in the same mentality as most on this thread. Over the past 5 years I have spent well over $1000. With an annual budget of $200-300, I think I'll be able to find a much better game to spend that money on. This move pushes it too far into 'greedy' territory, and yes it is a slap in the face for those of us who are paying their salaries and operating expenses. I will not continue to fund this development. Will give them a short time to respond to this thread, if they proceed down this path, I will retire my worlds and shelf this game.

Coach Zuck

Will I stop playing after this? No.
Will I watch your ads? No.
am I insulted given all the $ I've invested? Yes.
I take it back.. if this comes to PC I'm definitely going to stop playing without it getting changed.

I played on mobile this evening for the first time in a while, I had 4 incidents I couldn't collect flashing on my screen, ads in the tavern, ads in the castle (I accidentally clicked it too, probably what you wanted Inno, absolute crap if you have to trick people in to clicking your ads that's cheap!), an un-abortable quest forcing me to watch an ad in order to be able to RQ efficiently because otherwise there's 4 quests there, ads required for the aid all (inno giveth and taketh! 3 ads a day just to aid all on guild/neighbours/friends).
Not to mention, last month I paid $100 or so for diamonds...
No, I will not buy forge plus. I refuse to support this CRAP any further. Bring this to PC at your own peril - though I'm guessing you've already done the damage by putting it on mobile. Although you seem to have support from the free to play group who even seem surprised that they didn't have ads before, you're losing your bread and butter that you've now insulted beyond repair.

Ragnar The Viking

"Video Ads Optional Opt In/Out button." I would like to see Forge have one of those buttons you can opt in or out. With added FP awards added to it. I wouldn't mind watching adds for additional fp's. Allow it to be optional. Then you satisfy pretty much anyone. "Do Not make it mandatory. " Farmville via Zynga games had an option to watch them or not. I remember earning a lot of fp's (farm money) for those rewards.
This doesn't have to be difficult. I bet you try that for your tests? You will see much happier players. I do participate in the Forge Plus packages. I would still like to watch adds for additional FP's. I would like it to be my choice though. No incidents involved! Thanks for reading this.
*** NOTE*** I can only speak for myself here. I realize Inno must make money for the game. I have no issues in different ways to generate revenue. Keep it simple and allow players to opt in or opt out for ads. Implement various rewards for participation. This doesn't have to be difficult. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

I play on PC only which means that I have yet to experience the ads. I will not pay what amounts to extortion (the current Forge Plus feature) to avoid the ads should they come to PC. If a player cannot opt out of the ads by a reasonable amount of in-game purchases (currently that amount is a closely guarded INNO secret) and if the ads are as intrusive as they seem to be I will likely find another way to entertain myself.